Recommend compression socks for flights - Sizing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
canga

Recommend compression socks for flights - Sizing?

Post by canga » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi, I'm interested to try compression socks specifically for long haul flights (8 to 20+ hours). Can anyone recommend a brand? I'd prefer a product I can buy from Amazon.com as they will ship internationally, but I'd consider buying from an independent website.

How do you choose a good sizing? My shoe size is US10.5, and calf size is about 37cm at the widest. After extended travel calf size increases to approximately 38cm, so I'm hoping compression socks will help.

Lastly, does anyone wear them occasionally or full time at the office? I have a standing desk at home and sitting desk at work. At work I'm either at the desk or walking around, however lately I've been stuck at the desk.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Rainier

Re: Recommend compression socks for flights - Sizing?

Post by Rainier » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:04 pm

Buy your first pair at a store to get the sizing right.

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:46 pm

Have you tried walking the aisles and other leg exercises during the flights?
Leg Exercises to Prevent Swelling of the Legs When Sitting for Long Periods of Time
Travel and Lower Leg Swelling
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:01 am

So does this one qualify as a consumer item or medical advice? :)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:20 am

Jobst Support Wear stockings/socks have an excellent reputation: Jobst - Support Wear

8 to 15 mm Hg of pressure is usually recommended if you have no medical conditions which would predispose you to forming blood clots in your legs (deep venous thrombosis).

If you need >20 mm Hg of pressure, please consult your health care provider.

Get an aisle seat so you can do some walking once an hour.

Avoid flying on Saudia Flight 41, the current longest duration regularly scheduled non-stop airline flight (Jeddah - LAX) :P
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

carorun

Post by carorun » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:33 am

I wear compression socks after running and on long flights. I've had success buying them at TJ Maxx/Marshalls in the travel or exercise sections, though you may have more of an issue due to your calf size. Also, check Amazon and running stores for socks and compression sleeves for runners. The cost will be a little bit higher though ($20-30).

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:20 am

I (and wife) use compression socks for flying that I ordered from Magellan's Catalogue. Very comfortable and do the job perfectly. You can have a look online, their specialty is the traveler.