Birthday gift for a 10 year old girl

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atlanta_dad

Birthday gift for a 10 year old girl

Post by atlanta_dad »

She wants either a xbox or ipod and open to any other interesting gifts instead of these. I am thinking xbox may be better because the exposer to internet is lesser.
We are not much familiar with these gaming consoles, we owned wii earlier but not used it much before it was broken. Could you please suggest which of the xbox 360 with kinect (4gb or 250gb or xbox one) may be more useful for the family(we have another 4 yr old boy). Also what are some popular xbox games for our kids ages?

Or any other interesting, cheaper alternate gifts can I suggest her.
Thanks for all the help.

Edit:
I am upgrading my old iphone 4 by end of the year, she can start using it then instead of buying a new ipod now. I am not planning to connect xbox to internet.
Last edited by atlanta_dad on Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
bottlecap

Re: Birthday gift for a 10 year old girl

Post by bottlecap »

Xboxes connect to the internet. I don't think ipods do, but that may have changed in the last few years.

JT
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

:oops:

How about a book? Or a trip to the aquarium?
I know nothing!
Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter »

I don't have a 10 yr old girl but I have an Xbox 360.

Get the 250gb over the 4 gb. The smaller hard drive will be an extreme limitation and someone will wind up having to buy a bigger HD in the future.

The XBox360 is the older generation game system and is not as "cool" graphics wise but will have a larger assortment of games available for it.

The newest system from Microsoft is the Xbox One and as such will have the "better" games but both the games and the system cost more now.

It has been my experience that the younger the gamer the more the Kinect entertains. I lost interest in it very quickly and found it more annoying that helpful/fun. Supposedly the Xbox One Kinect is greatly improved.

The Xbox can connect to the internet but only via a paid service (Xbox Gold) and it does have parental lockout features to prevent accessing things you don't want them to and/or preventing in game purchases.

In my very limited experience with young girls, (cousins little girls), many of them lose interest in gaming related stuff fairly early on but do retain interest in music.

Without knowing if she would grow up to be a "gamer girl" or not, my first instinct would be to go with the Ipod as she would probably get more use out of it over time. Assuming that she has some way to purchase songs to put onto the Ipod or has a music collection that she can convert and load into her Ipod. It won't do her much good without music.

If she gets along well with her sibling and won't mind him playing with "her" gaming system, the Xbox will probably have more family utility going forwards. (You can buy each of them different games for their birthday)

I can't give you much help on the type of games she might like as I am a 40yr old gamer with no kids so my tastes aren't really the same and would NOT be appropriate for a 10 yr old. There are some extremely violent games out there with very mature story lines. When the game is marked MA 17+ they aren't kidding. Some of the stuff would have shocked me at 18.
davebarnes

Go large

Post by davebarnes »

A trip to Disneyworld.
Or, Paris.
A nerd living in Denver
sscritic

Re: Go large

Post by sscritic »

davebarnes wrote:A trip to Disneyworld.
Or, Paris.
Not if they live in Atlanta. This week my granddaughter and I met a mother and 6 year old daughter from Nashville in a line at Disneyland. I asked why Dland and not Dworld. Been there done that was the answer. Atlantadad can go to Florida anytime he wants, but California is a far off adventure (land that is). However, Disneyland Paris or Tokyo or Hong Kong is a great idea.

P.S. My granddaughter's all want to go to Dworld. Dland is old hat. Plus, there are more Disney cruises out of Florida.
countdown

Post by countdown »

Alas, what has happened to journals, diaries, jewelry boxes,....? :confused
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Instead of a trip to the aquarium, get her an aquarium. And a puppy. The aquarium can be all about chemistry & biology. The puppy all about biology & chemistry.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
hdcd

Post by hdcd »

I'll give you my 2 cents having an 18 yr old girl and 15 yr old boy.

Even though it's the "thing to do" these days to give the kids all the techo goodies all their friends have, I'd resist the
temptation as long as possible. Unless you have the time and interest to be a part of her gaming experience, it will
mean less time for you to bond with her and establish the father/daughter relationship which is so crucial. Her life
will revolve around the technology - not her family. And as much as the kids hate to admit that, they know it's true.

The most memorable gifts to the kids are time with them. Take them camping, hiking, etc.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Well, you can always spend time texting each other. A message group is the way that far-flung families stay in contact by texting to everyone in the group. Especially when sitting at the same table for dinner.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Ipods can connect to the internet, assuming you have wifi (or go to mcdonalds) they basicly do everything an iphone can when they are connected to a wifi network, they just can't do it by themselves.
My grandaughter turned 11 yesterday, and she wanted some toys that go with the skylanders video game (available on all consoles i believe). She also enjoys kinectamils for the xbox kinect.
For non-video games, she likes Monster High dolls, my little pony and of course Barbie. I also hear Disneys Frozen merchandise is flying off the shelf, to the point some of it is hard to find.
Mike
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

livesoft wrote:Well, you can always spend time texting each other. A message group is the way that far-flung families stay in contact by texting to everyone in the group. Especially when sitting at the same table for dinner.
The best texts are about spending time together. Recently my son took his family to visit my father. He was in one city, I was in another, and my daughter is yet a third. My son sent a picture of his children spending quality time with their great-grandfather. Their eyes were glued to the TV watching the latest Disney DVD and his were on his crossword puzzle.

This text covered both bases: quality family time shared with even more family through texting.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

mhalley wrote:Ipods can connect to the internet, assuming you have wifi (or go to mcdonalds) they basicly do everything an iphone can when they are connected to a wifi network, they just can't do it by themselves.
Where do you see wifi?
Nike+ support
Bluetooth 4.0
Now get her some Nike's that will connect to her iPod and you are good to go.

Pod is not Pad. Pod comes in various varieties. Not all varieties of Pods have wifi. In fact, most Pods don't have wifi. A Pod with wifi is the exception.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

hdcd wrote:I'll give you my 2 cents having an 18 yr old girl and 15 yr old boy.

Even though it's the "thing to do" these days to give the kids all the techo goodies all their friends have, I'd resist the
temptation as long as possible. Unless you have the time and interest to be a part of her gaming experience, it will
mean less time for you to bond with her and establish the father/daughter relationship which is so crucial. Her life
will revolve around the technology - not her family. And as much as the kids hate to admit that, they know it's true.

The most memorable gifts to the kids are time with them. Take them camping, hiking, etc.
My 2yr old daughter's child care just purchased Ipads for all of the classrooms, not for teachers to do their paperwork but solely for the children to play games. I am not happy. We already have a difficult enough time trying to get her to play, 90% of the time she wants to watch a movie or play games on mommy's phone. We do our best to limit screen time (don't even own a TV), but it's difficult when it's all she gets for half the day. I'm all for interjecting technology into education and doing it early, but kids need to be kids. My 7 and 5yr old nieces have had their own laptops and cellphones since they were toddlers, it is impossible to get those kids to do anything which doesn't involve a screen.
EvelynM

Post by EvelynM »

Maybe open up a savings account for her instead and start her off with $25 or $50? And also with a book about savings (written for kids)? That's what my grandmother did for me at a young age. Those were the days when the bank gave you a little book to write your deposits in. It was fun. It will teach her about savings, patience, accomplishment, and then she can buy her own iWhatever someday. I did it for my own kids when they were growing up, and at the end of the year we matched their savings dollar-for-dollar.
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

mhalley wrote:Ipods can connect to the internet, assuming you have wifi (or go to mcdonalds) they basicly do everything an iphone can when they are connected to a wifi network, they just can't do it by themselves.
I'm sure it depends on the model because mine (iPOD nano 6th gen) has no way to connect to anything except through the USB cable and even then it can't do much except sync with iTunes.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

A strong hug and a "I love you so very much".
All that truly matters in the end is that you loved.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

sscritic

Post by sscritic »

iPod includes shuffle, nano, touch, and classic. How many of these have wifi? Correct answer: one.

Connectivity: none; Nike+ support, Bluetooth 4.0; 802.11a/b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz and 5GHz), Bluetooth 4.0, Maps: Location-based service, Nike+ support; none.

Source: apple.com/xxx/specs.html where xxx = ipod-shuffle, ipod-nano, ipod-touch, and ipodclassic, respectively.
[Just in case you like primary sources.]
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

+1

IPOD Touch is essentially an IPhone minus the cellular support. It even runs the same operating system (matching generations) and thus all the same apps.
Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe »

I suggest giving her money and teaching her to invest in the Vanguard Small Cap Value Fund.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I'd not buy a gaming console for a 10 year old. An ipod is ok as music is something children enjoy but there is much less likelihood of it monopolizing their time.

I'd also look for other things like the gifts suggested by fatbrain for a 10 year old girl.

https://www.fatbraintoys.com/toys/toys_ ... cks_10.cfm

One of the gifts I enjoyed most when I was young was a bundle of newsprint. I loved to draw, doodle, make things of paper etc.

Another thing that is popular is KNEX. I know it's stereotyped for boys, but I'm subversive.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

I am almost totally anti-electronic device gifts for kids younger than mid-teens. But in the long-run, it probably doesn't matter. Looking back on my own birthday gifts at that age, I can remember only one from my parents or other relatives. But the birthday gifts that I do recall were from a neighbor who gave me one silver dollar (Peace dollars, IIRC) for each year of my age. I still have all of them and more that I accumulated because he piqued my interest in coins.

One of my current pet peeves is the heavy reliance on gift cards by people now. I strongly support the previous suggestions of books. You might even stretch that by giving a Kindle :happy
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Don't worry, what she likes today she won't like as much in 6 months. We went through Rainbow Loom in six months. Then it was designing clothes, also for six months (it wasn't actually a game, but someone had copied the outline of a teenage girl that was duplicated many times over; the girls then used color pencils to draw fashions on the model).

Now I have an easy time this year. All of my daughter's daughters have Disneyland passes, as do I. My gift: a trip alone with Grandpa to Dland. The boglehead in me delights in the cost: $0,* but my body takes time to recover each time. The 6 year old is done, the 11 year old is soon, and the 9 year old doesn't come up until September.

* I lie. There is food, and I do buy them a souvenir, which only occurs on special occasions like a birthday. On the other hand, I park on the street and make them walk so I don't have to pay $17 for parking (I have my secret spot).
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Doom&Gloom wrote: One of my current pet peeves is the heavy reliance on gift cards by people now.
Solicited or un? When one granddaughter wanted an iPod touch, she asked for Target gift cards. She didn't expect one person to buy her a touch, but by pooling her friends' and family's gifts, she got the touch she wanted plus about $50.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Sorry, should have been more specific. I was talking about the ipod touch. You are correct about the multiplicity of ipods.
Mike
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

sscritic wrote:
Doom&Gloom wrote: One of my current pet peeves is the heavy reliance on gift cards by people now.
Solicited or un? When one granddaughter wanted an iPod touch, she asked for Target gift cards. She didn't expect one person to buy her a touch, but by pooling her friends' and family's gifts, she got the touch she wanted plus about $50.
Both, but I could certainly see the value in an exception being made for a case such as the one you cited. But my biggest issue is with the giver relying on a gift card rather than putting some thought into selecting a gift. I don't want to derail OP's thread--particularly since he seems to be giving a great deal of thought to the selection of a birthday gift.
texasdiver

Post by texasdiver »

As a parent of 3 girls ages 8, 11, and 16 I have some thoughts on this topic

First of all, our younger girls get our hand me down iPhones when we upgrade to new ones. An iPhone that no longer has cell service is basically an iPod. The kids can do everything on them except actually make phone calls and they can actually do that too using Skype on wifi. So if you has older phones to hand down then no need at all to ever buy an iPod

Secondly, iPads are great but pretty expensive. The Kindle Fire and google Nexus are both tablets that do most of what an ipad will do at a much lower price. Kids have very good eyes and are pretty happy on the smaller 7" screens whereas I need the bigger 10" ipad to be happy typing and reading.

Finally, our kids really love their xbox kinect. It is a pretty amazing game system and they have a huge variety of engaging physical games to play. However it is a social activity. If you don't have sisters in the house then the kinect may not get much use unless you are willing to spend lots of time doing dance marathons and physical games with the girl.

You can usually get the xbox kinect packages on Amazon with some games included. The "just dance" game is a favorite and the downhill sports one.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

My daughter is 9 and my son will be turning 7. I'm an avid gamer and I have an Xbox 360. So far the only games we allow the kids to play are the ones we download for them onto a shared Kindle.

If you introduce video gaming to her via a Console, make sure you understand what games she's playing. Also be aware that the online experience means lots of interaction with people that are more than happy to throw out every vulgarity you can think of. If you're not current with video games today, become so...many of the best titles are equivalent to R rated moves for language, violence, and sex. I enjoy them a great deal...but I'm also not a 15 year old kid.