Travel Converters/Adapters

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Grt2bOutdoors

Travel Converters/Adapters

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I'm traveling to Italy, can anyone tell me what converter is the right one to use?
There's C (2 pronged), but then other sites are saying to use Type L (3 pronged) and then other sites are saying to use an adapter. :confused
Umm...which is the right one to go with?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
livesoft

Re: Travel Converters/Adapters

Post by livesoft »

Google is your friend: http://www.startmonitor.de/register/net ... /index.htm
Note that a plug (male) is different from an outlet (female) so maybe that's the confusion.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Don Christy

Post by Don Christy »

Most electronics can handle the voltage/frequency, so an adapter is all that's needed for charging most electronics (phones, iPads, Kindles, etc.). Adapters don't change the voltage or frequency, they just physically adapt one plug to another. We used type L adapters, but from what I understand, type c work in Italy as well. We used this from amazon:
OREI 2 in 1 USA to Italy Adapter Plug (Type L) - 4 Pack, Black which was handy for the 2 into 1.

Things like hair driers, curling irons, things with motors, etc, may need a converter, which actually converts the voltage. We didn't take or need any converters.

Happy travels!
Don
“Speak only if it improves upon the silence." Mahatma Gandhi
General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray »

Get a universal worldwide plug adapter:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... 25v41gzj_b
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I've always used a two prong europlug adapter (Type C) in Italy and continental Europe. You can plug a europlug adapter into a Type L outlet (the ground/middle hole in the outlet is unused just like plugging a US Type A plug into a Type B outlet).

I no longer have any Type B power requirements when I travel (U.S. grounded). All my U.S. power cords are Type A (two prong) and my power supplies support dual voltage. Much easier than the old days (even 10 years ago) before standardization of power on personal electronics. My electric shaver works fine with just a Type C adapter.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

General Disarray wrote:Get a universal worldwide plug adapter: ...
I have a couple of those and I would highly recommend against them. One problem with them is that they are so bulky that one cannot use them on all outlets in a room or at least the outlet you want to use. It is the same problem with many "bricks" on the end of A/C adapters. If you do find an outlet that has room, the darn thing is so big it blocks off the adjacent outlet. A kit of single small adapters is best IMHO.

Another tip: Some folks bring along a short US extension cord, then one adapter gets you to many US outlets. Some US extension cords have a 2-prong male plug, but the 2-prog female bits allow one to plug in a 3-prong male and have the ground just stick out exposed over the edge.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Watty

Post by Watty »

More info here;

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/ ... converters

Look very carefully at the item you want to use to make sure that it says something like 110/220 on it or it will get fried and might start a fire. (most do)
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Watty wrote:More info here;

https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/ ... converters

Look very carefully at the item you want to use to make sure that it says something like 110/220 on it or it will get fried and might start a fire. (most do)
This is very important. Many (most?) modern electronics/electrical devices (computers, charges, razors) are okay with both power supplies.

IF all of the products/powercords you are bringing are already compatible (they'll be labeled if they are), then you only need the plug adapter, not the more-frequently-required-in-the-past "power converter".

We did fine with the plug adapters, and we brought a bunch of them, plus a power strip, so we could charge everything overnight.

We were in Rome and Florence, and found the "two prong, both round, about 3/4 inch apart to be fine. Cheap, too.

We never left anything plugged in when we weren't right in the room watching.

NOTE: On the airline (Alitalia, in our case), the headphone plug was different, too.
Turned out our Bose headphones came with a couple of adapters, but it took us a bit long <insert embarrassment emoticon> to realize we already had the proper adapter right there, not just packed in luggage.

Enjoy your trip. We had an amazing time, and are already planning our return next spring.

RM
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

For a 1-shot deal, buy one or two euro-plug adapters.

For people who travel a lot to many different places, the "universal" adapters are quite attractive, though as Livesoft points out they have drawbacks. I have tried both approaches (a sack of adapters and a universal) and settled on the universal as best for me. I simply keep it in my backpack all the time and never have to worry about remembering it. I found I was losing the little individual ones quite often and ending up sans juice.

Note that these devices aren't really universal. E.g. the dawn-of-the-industrial-age South African plugs aren't on mine.

To deal with the bulk of the adapter, I also always carry in my backpack a small powerstrip -- four outlets; the cord wraps around and plugs into an outlet for compact carrying. This powerstrip gets tons of use, even when traveling in the US. There are numerous occasions where I need to plug in numerous devices or I'm in a group setting and the number of outlets is smaller than the number of people wanting to use them -- this happens a lot at airport lounges, conference rooms, etc. Looks like the new ones add a USB port which would be another plus. Image
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

livesoft wrote: Some US extension cords have a 2-prong male plug, but the 2-prog female bits allow one to plug in a 3-prong male and have the ground just stick out exposed over the edge.

I use this as a teaching example for Engineers about how people kill themselves with grounded equipment. Do not do this. Especially with 220 volt current.
richard

Post by richard »

Professor Emeritus wrote:
livesoft wrote: Some US extension cords have a 2-prong male plug, but the 2-prog female bits allow one to plug in a 3-prong male and have the ground just stick out exposed over the edge.
I use this as a teaching example for Engineers about how people kill themselves with grounded equipment. Do not do this. Especially with 220 volt current.
What percentage of people travelling to Europe who plug a 3-prong male into a 2-prong European adapter have died or been seriously injured in the past decade?
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

I have two of these. They're a bit futzy but have held up over several trips.

http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Universa ... B000YN01X4

All of my electronics are non-grounded, so I bring a very short two conductor extension cord with a triple outlet -- the sort you'd use for Christmas tree lights. That's usually enough to cover everything.

When I used to travel with my Dell notebook that has a three conductor power supply, I used a power strip like a previous poster suggested.

To Richard's point, it doesn't really matter to me how many people are injured. Knowing what the design differences are between two and three conductor appliances, I've elected not to be in the group that trusts an ungrounded three conductor appliance. Keep in mind that most of Europe is supplied with 220V mains power.