POLL: Walmart vs Amazon

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

What do you prefer?

Walmart
14%
Amazon
86%

Total votes: 244

sunnyday

POLL: Walmart vs Amazon

Post by sunnyday » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:27 am

What do you prefer and why?

How do prices match up and do you have tips for Amazon shopping as far as getting everyday items like paper towels, soap? Do you buy any food or buy in bulk off of Amazon?

What are some other factors such as job creation, local tax revenue, etc?

I shop at both but after some poor customer service experiences at Walmart, I'm planning to switch more to Amazon.

bhsince87

Re: POLL: Walmart vs Amazon

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:34 am

I'm not voting, because I use both, and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

I've bought in bulk from amazon. And with the additional kicker of 3% back by using their credit card, it usually comes out close to the cheapest. But not always. I find many local grocery stores, outlets, and clubs have occasional specials that beat amazon prices. I buy quite a bit at Aldi too.
BH87

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:36 am

I like walmart for every day items, Amazon for more non every day items like sneakers
John

telemark

Post by telemark » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:37 am

I avoid both as much as possible.

Every time you click on the add to cart button, an Amazon warehouse worker gets an electric shock...

Abe

Post by Abe » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:38 am

I buy a lot more from Walmart than Amazon because of shipping charges, convenience and return policy. Example: I bought a watch from Walmart about 3 months ago. It quit keeping good time, so I took it back and they gave me another one, no questions asked. We go to Walmart about once a week.

Most of the items I buy from Amazon are things I can't get locally.
Slow and steady wins the race.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:39 am

I voted amazon but they aren't really comparable. There are very few things that I purchase that are available at both stores. Consumer electronics, computer peripherals, specialty tools, books, some unique clothing items I buy at Amazon and it is unlikely that the same exact items are even available at Wal-Mart. I needed a portable hard drive recently and it was 50% cheaper at amazon. That's the most recent example of something I actually comparison shopped.

Wal-Mart I basically use for consumables and school supplies. Things like shampoo, paper, pens, certain grocery items, and so forth that I would never contemplate purchasing at amazon. We have a much better grocery closer by than Wal-Mart so I rarely go to Wal-Mart for actual groceries, I go to HEB.

A better comparison would be Wal-Mart vs Target or Wal-Mart vs local grocery.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:43 am

I like Walmart's good customer service.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Northster

Post by Northster » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:47 am

I boycott Walmart. Amazon may have its problems but I don't think they treat their employees as bad as Walmart.

ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:56 am

I boycotted Wal-Mart years ago due to the terrible customer experience, unhappy employees, and seeing the company wipe out small town merchants.

I do love Amazon! It's easy to buy quality products from them. Most of the remaining local merchants have copied Wal-Mart and sell low quality China made goods and marking up the price too much. For example, my local hardware store doesn't sell a single paintbrush made in the USA. Amazon does.

denovo

Post by denovo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:58 am

You can buy some "everyday" items from Amazon like toilet paper, diapers , etc, at competitive prices , especially if you get the subscribe and save option and get the 3 percent rebate by using the amazon credit card , it's probably less than WMT. For me, if it's even a draw, or Amazon is 1-3 percent more expensive, I am willing to shop there because of the convenience of not having to go to a store. I hate shopping, running errands by clicking buttons is so much easier.
Last edited by denovo on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

cowboy

Post by cowboy » Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:59 am

Northster wrote:I boycott Walmart. Amazon may have its problems but I don't think they treat their employees as bad as Walmart.
If Walmart treated their employees so poorly, they wouldn't continue to have employees. They wouldn't continue to flourish. Simple microeconomics. When I was in high school and college, a position at Walmart was actually a sought-after job due to the way they *did* treat their employees. Successful companies take care of their people and will generally offer very fair wages.

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:25 am

Northster wrote:I boycott Walmart. Amazon may have its problems but I don't think they treat their employees as bad as Walmart.
Not everyone has the ability to have good solid carreers (lack of education or past problems).Iknow people who support families on these incomes and glad to have a job
John

FreemanB

Post by FreemanB » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:27 am

Although I'm not a big fan of Walmart to begin with, it really hasn't been a viable option for my shopping for several years now. There just weren't any convenient to my house.(Closest for a long time was around 30 minutes away) Since I had two Targets within two miles, that was where I did all of my everyday convenience item shopping. There's a Walmart closer now, probably about 15-20 minutes away, but after going there once, I didn't see any need to go back. I still probably get 80% or more of my non-grocery items through Amazon though, simply for the ease of shopping online combined with rapid delivery and good customer service. In the area I grew up, Walmart is still the only place to shop for most items, and I think it will continue to dominate outside of urban areas for a long time.

prudent

Post by prudent » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:35 am

The two Walmarts closest to us are dumpy, overcrowded and checkouts take forever. I can't do it. The Target stores work well for us. I might be paying a little more at Target, but not enough to make me want to endure the horror that is Walmart.

I use Amazon when I can't get what I want locally but it's not my first choice. They aren't employing my neighbors, hosting fundraisers for the library, sponsoring youth sports, or paying any local taxes.

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:40 am

cowboy wrote:If Walmart treated their employees so poorly, they wouldn't continue to have employees. They wouldn't continue to flourish. Simple microeconomics. When I was in high school and college, a position at Walmart was actually a sought-after job due to the way they *did* treat their employees. Successful companies take care of their people and will generally offer very fair wages.
It's been reported widely for years that Walmart helps employees apply for government assistance as a benefit: Food Stamps Don't Keep Walmart's Prices Low, They Keep Its Profits High
  • "There is no doubt that food stamps (and a host of other public subsidies from Medicaid to home heating assistance to the Earned Income Tax Credit and beyond) reduce Walmart's employment costs substantially. A study released last year by staff of the U.S. House Committee on Education and the Workforce found that a single 300-employee Walmart Supercenter may cost taxpayers anywhere from $904,542 to nearly $1.75 million per year."
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:42 am

Mostly Walmart because of returns convenience if clothes don't fit or electronics don't work.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

LynnC

Post by LynnC » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:44 am

I ditto that. There is no discount great enough to make me shop at WM. Just my own personal opinion.

LynnC

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:59 am

I return my used oil to Wal*Mart.

My sister in-law worked for Wal*Mart as a pharmacist. She stupidly accepted the job and the cross country relocation package, locking her in for 2 years. The store has an open pharmacy (no security door to pull down separating it from the rest of the store). When someone would not show up (happened often) or quit (happened often), she had to stay. It was on her license and could not leave the store. Management didn't care. At the 2 year and one day point, she quit and walked out as soon as someone else with a pharmacy license showed up.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

lululu

Post by lululu » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:12 pm

I wouldn't shop at ChinaMart if hell froze over. I'm not going to be complicit in treating employees like subhumans, and helping destroy U.S. manufacturers.

I do shop at Amazon, but I'm getting less and less happy about that.

lululu

Post by lululu » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:14 pm

cowboy wrote:
If Walmart treated their employees so poorly, they wouldn't continue to have employees. They wouldn't continue to flourish. Simple microeconomics. When I was in high school and college, a position at Walmart was actually a sought-after job due to the way they *did* treat their employees. Successful companies take care of their people and will generally offer very fair wages.
Perhaps you don't know how desperate some people are for jobs nowadays.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:16 pm

whaleknives wrote:
cowboy wrote:If Walmart treated their employees so poorly, they wouldn't continue to have employees. They wouldn't continue to flourish. Simple microeconomics. When I was in high school and college, a position at Walmart was actually a sought-after job due to the way they *did* treat their employees. Successful companies take care of their people and will generally offer very fair wages.
It's been reported widely for years that Walmart helps employees apply for government assistance as a benefit: Food Stamps Don't Keep Walmart's Prices Low, They Keep Its Profits High
But that's the point. When was the last time your employer helped you apply for public benefits? Only Walmart treats their employees with such consideration for their needs.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:24 pm

Ah the sanctimony...
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:27 pm

The only Walmart near me is in a horribly congested location, so I always prefer Target if I need to do that sort of shopping. For the vast majority of non-grocery shopping, I use Amazon.

newbie_Mo

Post by newbie_Mo » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:47 pm

sscritic wrote:
whaleknives wrote:
But that's the point. When was the last time your employer helped you apply for public benefits? Only Walmart treats their employees with such consideration for their needs.
+1
I shop at Walmarts that open 24 hrs. I often see them use very old people (they are in their 70's I am sure) as greeters and do some light chores (i.e. mop the store front, clean windows and arrange small items that were out of place). They use the young for restocking and heavy lifting. I also shop at Targets often, the targets I frequent have much younger workers. At least Walmart gives the old people a chance to work. I also buy a lot from Amazons. The decision of where to buy is based on product availability and pricing.

EDIT: Few years back when I was living in another city, the Walmart I went to have couple workers who have down syndrome. They always seemed happy. I hear it couple times that people who claim they don't shop at Walart and their shoppers look funny. Say what you want about Walmart and its shoppers. I still shop there.
Last edited by newbie_Mo on Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RyeWhiskey

Post by RyeWhiskey » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:52 pm

sunnyday wrote:What do you prefer and why?

How do prices match up and do you have tips for Amazon shopping as far as getting everyday items like paper towels, soap? Do you buy any food or buy in bulk off of Amazon?

I shop at both but after some poor customer service experiences at Walmart, I'm planning to switch more to Amazon.
Bold added. I don't know where you live but Costco is vastly preferable to both Walmart and Amazon for a multitude of reasons:
- Cheaper
- Remarkably good treatment of employees (Walmart is well known for being abysmal but Amazon is no better)
- Far superior quality
- Amazing return policy
- Cheap gas at the pump as well

Barring the real fact that there may not be a Costco in your area, Costco is the only place I'd shop for large, bulk, purchases (especially of paper towels, toilet paper, etc...).

:sharebeer
This post was brought to you by Vanguard Total World Stock Index (VTWSX/VT).

Abe

Post by Abe » Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:56 pm

There is a lot of anti-Walmart sentiment out there. Some may be justified, but I think most of it is not. Walmart does what they do according to their business plan, and some bad things happen as a result of that, such as small businesses going out and small towns drying up. I had a small business at one time and it was hard to compete with Walmart, but it was hard to compete with all the big chain stores. We couldn't compete with them on price, but we could do some things they didn't do. It wasn't easy, but we made it. Walmart tries to give customers what they want. Otherwise they wouldn't be so successful. If customers want the cheapest price, then that is what Walmart tries to give them. In order to get the cheapest price, the item will probably be made in China or wherever, probably not the USA. Our economy has changed. We might not like it, but that's the way it is.
Slow and steady wins the race.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:23 pm

I also boycott Walmart for the reasons already mentioned. Also, the shopping experiences I have had there in the past
have generally not been good ones. The store has often been crowded, noisy, and dusty. I shop regularly at Target and Amazon.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:30 pm

I went to Walmart this morning to avoid the upgrade of bogleheads. Almost no one was there. I was actually late today (what can I say, it's Saturday); I usually go shortly after 7 when they open. Starbucks at 6:30; Walmart at 7. Starbucks is more crowded than Walmart at 7 am.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:33 pm

I can't locate an Amazon branch near me. :annoyed
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

davebarnes

Amazon for the win

Post by davebarnes » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:35 pm

Amazon - inventory size. I hate going to a store and finding an item out of stock.
Amazon - subscription service.
Amazon - convenience. Buy sitting at my desk.
[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]

I am relatively price insensitive.
A nerd living in Denver

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:37 pm

chaz wrote:I can't locate an Amazon branch near me. :annoyed
I found one, but it is crowded and dusty and noisy, much worse than Walmart.

Oh, you said branch, not warehouse. Never mind. :)

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:27 pm

Abe wrote:There is a lot of anti-Walmart sentiment out there. Some may be justified, but I think most of it is not. Walmart does what they do according to their business plan, and some bad things happen as a result of that, such as small businesses going out and small towns drying up. I had a small business at one time and it was hard to compete with Walmart, but it was hard to compete with all the big chain stores. We couldn't compete with them on price, but we could do some things they didn't do. It wasn't easy, but we made it. Walmart tries to give customers what they want. Otherwise they wouldn't be so successful. If customers want the cheapest price, then that is what Walmart tries to give them. In order to get the cheapest price, the item will probably be made in China or wherever, probably not the USA. Our economy has changed. We might not like it, but that's the way it is.
IMHO, Abe "hit the nail on the head."
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:36 pm

sscritic wrote:But that's the point. When was the last time your employer helped you apply for public benefits? Only Walmart treats their employees with such consideration for their needs.
Maybe if Walmart paid a living wage, their needs would be met by their employer and not the taxpayer. :)
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

ThinkingRunner

Post by ThinkingRunner » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:42 pm

You can shop online at Walmart, too. No need to go into a store and rub shoulders with the so-called "People of Walmart". They have a pretty large selection of items you can get online and their shipping is competitive with Amazon's. We get our diapers from Walmart (Parent's Choice) and they show up at our doorstep within a couple of days of ordering. Cheaper than Amazon, even after the 20% Mom discount. It has been some years since I actually stepped into a Walmart, though.

FWIW, I shop at both Walmart and Amazon, depending on price and availability of the product I am interested in. I am very value conscious and will almost always price shop the product I want. And I use cashback sites on top of that :)
Last edited by ThinkingRunner on Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

peppers

Post by peppers » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:43 pm

Neither. We have had very disappointing customer experiences with them.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:18 pm

It's a regular hate-on for WalMart going on here. I think a lot of folks think they are above rubbing elbows with the less affluent.

WalMart has allowed millions of people of modest means to buy and enjoy products they otherwise couldn't afford. Yes, their competitive business plan has forced others to compete or fold up shop, but that's the nature of capitalism. I haven't found WM's customer service to be any worse than anyone else, despite the stores being large, busy, and hectic at times. And please explain why I should pay a dollar more for the very same bottle of salad dressing at the store across the street.

I was in WM an hour ago, and when I got home there was a package from Amazon. I also shop at the supermarket across from WM, which appears to be doing just fine.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:39 pm

Let's stop the Walmart vs. Amazon smackdown and stay on-topic, which is:

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:53 pm

I'm a Prime member at Amazon and regularly order from them. Once in awhile I'll venture into Walmart, but its only if I can't find what I want on line or at Target.

Shipping at Amazon is great. I often use the customer comments to help me shop. In fact, I built a solar charging LED lit cocktail table by following the customer comments on the components.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:54 pm

I compare current to prior prices on Amazon using http://www.camelcamelcamel.com Just copy and paste the amazon link into the search bar at the top.

I can see if the price is low, high, average compared to what it's previously been.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:56 pm

I have an intense dislike of Wal-Mart stores and will not go into any of their local stores. That said, I have purchased one Brother printer toner cartridge online from Wal-Mart because of their pricing, but that is all I do buy there. The next time I have to replace my cartridge I will check prices elsewhere.
Tom D.

novaboglehead

Post by novaboglehead » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:16 pm

LOL. I hope that is sarcasm. Amazon is notorious for bad treatment of employees, especially warehouse personnel. Here is a Feb. article from Salon about Amazon entitled "Worse than Wal-Mart" http://www.salon.com/2014/02/23/worse_t ... g_workers/

I've switched from Walmart to Target because in the last several years the local Walmarts have become dirty and understaffed. It got to the point where there would only be one or two cashiers whereas today I was at Target and they had 9 cashiers working and no wait in line.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:16 pm

I didn't vote because the answer depends. I use both. Sometimes I'll pay a little more at Walmart if I need the item quickly or if I'm going there for something else. I use amazon for hard to find items or things priced dirt cheap. I found, for many things I buy, Amazon is not the lowest price (I know I can ask them to price match). Of course, if I have enough for free shipping, Amazon has an edge but that doesn't necessarily mean I will order from them.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

lululu

Post by lululu » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:40 pm

obgraham wrote:It's a regular hate-on for WalMart going on here. I think a lot of folks think they are above rubbing elbows with the less affluent.
Did you read the postings thoroughly? People are complaining about the treatment of Walmart employees and the impact on local businesses and U.S. manufacturing. I only saw one remark about "the less affluent."

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:54 pm

LadyGeek wrote:Let's stop the Walmart vs. Amazon smackdown and stay on-topic, which is:
But.....in some cases, it's kind of hard to say why you prefer one without a smackdown of the other. :wink:

I'll just say that I've never been supportive of one of these businesses, but decided it was a necessary evil while I was on the road for the last year. That ended about 6 months ago when they disappointed me yet one more time and I just gave up and walked out and sought other sources for my needs.

On the other hand, I've always been happy with my many dealings with the other company. Unfortunately, I've become concerned about how insidious their influence might be on our society. It is clear that big commercial brother is watching me. I don't much like that.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:05 pm

I generally prefer Amazon for the convenience.

However there are a few items that are not practical to purchase from Amazon. For those I have a set of alternatives:

1. EBay for things too small, specialized or cheap for Amazon to do effectively. For example unusual batteries and odd specialty items. Recently that was a garage door bottom seal. Parts for my tractor.
2. Home Depot for hardware and gardening supplies.
3. Costco for the stuff they handle. For example ground beef and eyeglasses.
4. WalMart for motor oil, oil filters, antifreeze, storage boxes and a few other odds and ends. Generally I avoid WalMart because the immense store, sloppy inventory control, depressing environment and crowded parking make it unpleasant to visit.

Teetlebaum

Post by Teetlebaum » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:16 pm

Walmart is usually my first choice before other stores. (And It's not as bad as some claim.) I only use Amazon for stuff I can't find locally.

fsrph

Post by fsrph » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Interesting side discussion - Clark Howard recently posted Walmart.com (online shopping) is underpricing their stores by up to 35%. Same item. You could buy online at the cheaper price, have shipped (free over $50) and never enter the store.
http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-h ... ers/ngbbZ/

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:49 pm

fsrph wrote:Interesting side discussion - Clark Howard recently posted Walmart.com (online shopping) is underpricing their stores by up to 35%. Same item. You could buy online at the cheaper price, have shipped (free over $50) and never enter the store.
http://www.clarkhoward.com/news/clark-h ... ers/ngbbZ/

Francis
I only have been in walmart store twice and one time was for fishing licence..It is simpler for me just to have stuff delivered to my door when it's free.I don't enjoy any store when it's crowded.I even make my super market trips at 5a.m.
John

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:00 pm

I rarely, if ever, buy from Walmart. First, there are none in NYC (though I think that is crazy). I just prefer Costco with the added knowledge that employees are well treated. I find their food selection (though limited) superior to my one I saw at my two visits to Walmart. Additionally, they have more of what I want then does Walmart. I don't want the cheapest bottle of wine, for example, though I want cheap prices for the wine I buy.

As for Amazon, I used to buy tons of stuff from there. They were my goto for most things I couldn't get locally.
However, I have purchased about 95% less stuff this year than last. I joined a boycott because of a book Amazon sells that is a blueprint for child abuse. It has sold 1/2 million copies, more than half through Amazon. Amazon, if legal (IMHO) would sell bombs .... not going in that direction and get banned.

Enough said Amazon is now only if I can not get it somewhere else first. And for this year, that has not been a problem (Newegg fit the bill in electronics quite nicely).
Last edited by Rob5TCP on Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Rob5TCP wrote: First, there are none [Walmarts] in NYC (though I think that is crazy).
Not that is an interesting factoid!