High end purses

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
chaz

Re: High end purses

Post by chaz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:53 pm

sscritic wrote:
chaz wrote:DW loves her Louis Vuitton bags.
And coming from chaz, that's saying a lot. :)
You noticed. :)
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:42 pm

I like and own several "high-end" purses. They are beautifully designed and handcrafted of top quality materials, and come from a leather house with a long and storied history. They will last me the rest of my life, which God willing will be many more decades, after which I will pass them on to my heirs. Are they completely frivolous? Yes. Were they worth the money I paid for them? No, though I could resell them and recoup much of my money. Do I regret buying them? Not at all. Every time I wear one, I appreciate its timeless beauty and exceptional quality. Kinda like one might appreciate a $5000 Rolex... :P

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:04 am

eucalyptus wrote:"Not everyone who buys something expensive is doing so to impress others, although that myth is frequently repeated on this board."

I agree that it's a myth, but only those who buy expensive things for enjoyment will ever understand. I've had nice collector cars I never talk about in the RW, drive primarily at times when few people are out and always park away from people. Yet I would be accused of showing off, "signaling." I give up.

If most people seem to feel that one buys an expensive car only to show off, isn't buying an expensive car as signal a waste of money?

I believe that expensive handbags are perceived more favorably than luxury cars, possibly because half the population can't tell an expensive bag from a cheap one.
I'm not good at reading signals, so I am not very aware of the possibility that others may be. The language of shoes is a mystery that I cannot interpret. I once turned down a used Mercedes that was exactly what I was looking for, just because I didn't want the logo. (I still regret that, and the VW I bought cost more). I continue to wear clothes until the day I look in the mirror and think, "whoa, that needs to be thrown away!" I have a large diamond engagement ring - the stone was a family heirloom - and it hasn't left the drawer in many years.

But purses, for some reason, I can see. I can spot a good quality purse among crap in a discount bin, even when not really looking. I got my first coach bag this way, back when I was broke. It's still a favorite. When our financial status changed few of our spending habits changed, but I did tell my husband I would be buying more nice purses; he just shrugged and ordered more tools. I pair them with jeans and a t-shirt because I rarely wear anything besides jeans. I buy them for me, nobody else, and I don't care what people think when they read the signals. If I wanted to show off I obviously wouldn't be wearing those sandals.

Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:17 am

You mean one of these:

Yeah, I use a new one each week to keep up with the fashion.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:21 am

Faith20879 wrote:You mean one of these:

Yeah, I use a new one each week to keep up with the fashion.
Many of those are illegal where I live. It all depends on where you are when you are given one.

TxAg

Post by TxAg » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:22 am

Those plastic bags are about to start costing $0.10/per here in Dallas

Definitely high end

semperlux

Post by semperlux » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:35 am

sscritic wrote:I will assume your wife knows that not every LV, D&B, and Coach is covered in the company's logo and that you and she are not trying to imply otherwise. The "every D&B is covered with logos" myth was debunked earlier for anyone who had the intellectual honesty to look at their webpage and view their offerings.

All the brands give you choices. Not every LV is a monogram bag, which is a coated canvas, as you can find LVs that are calfskin (yes, that is leather).

P.P.S. Most real leather LVs cost more than the equivalent treated canvas LVs. I am not sure if you were comparing leather LVs with canvas LVs when you said that LV charged leather prices for canvas bags.

P.P.P.S. I don't really know anything about bags, but I do read. I just discovered that Marc Jacobs was a designer for LV before leaving to start his own company.
Following months of speculation, Marc Jacobs has confirmed that he is to leave Louis Vuitton after 16 years at the helm.
The 50-year-old designer will now focus on his eponymous brands, Marc Jacobs and Marc by Marc Jacobs.
http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/columns/ ... itton.html
sscritic: you are right (as usual :happy ) & I agree that those brands do not ONLY sell logo stamped canvas purses. So let me clarify my post: At the price range the OP is considering, it is more likely that he will find a purse that is logo stamped canvas with those brands since, as you stated, "Most real leather LVs cost more than the equivalent treated canvas LVs."

And to further clarify, when I said LV charged leather prices for canvas bags, my point is that the prices LV charges for their canvas bags, a high quality all real leather bag of a different brand can be had. So in my personal opinion, it would be a better buy to get an all leather bag that's not LV, unless the primary goal is to own an LV purse.

Finally, I don't know anything about Marc Jacobs as I didn't comment on him. I've seen my wife look at his bags, but doesn't seem too interested.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:05 am

semperlux wrote: And to further clarify, when I said LV charged leather prices for canvas bags, my point is that the prices LV charges for their canvas bags, a high quality all real leather bag of a different brand can be had. So in my personal opinion, it would be a better buy to get an all leather bag that's not LV, unless the primary goal is to own an LV purse.
I agree completely. When I was looking for a man bag, my kids and sister told me to look at LV (they were joking). My brother-in-law has used an LV "purse" for years. (He wanted the monogram all over it; no comment)

The liked the Yuma Pochette ($1,610, single discrete logo)
http://us.louisvuitton.com/front/#/eng_ ... TAH-M97024

P.S. They also suggested I get a lunch box to use as my man bag.
http://www.lunchboxes.com/sanrio.html

But that has a logo also.

sls239

Post by sls239 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:19 am

I'm not sure I'd call $300 "high end" for a purse.

My feelings are that the "upper middle" items are generally the worst deals. But that isn't to say that you can't find a nice one, I'd just expect to have to work for it a little.

I wouldn't expect a $300 purse to last decades, unless it was used sparingly. So if that is her entire purse budget for the decade, then don't do it. But it might make a nice addition for special occasions.

bookshelves

Post by bookshelves » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:28 pm

I just wanted to chime in about Marc by Marc Jacobs purses, which I own 2. They were in your price range and I have zero regrets buying them. The quality is very good, they have held up for years and the colors are lovely. I also have a Kate Spade bag which is great too. Great style and quality. Although I always get compliments on these bags, that is not why I bought them. I just appreciate well designed, aesthetically pleasing things and they make me happy. I also have been very pleased with the Kensington bag from Madewell. It is a understated beauty.
If your financial house is in order, I don't think taking a great vacation or buying a handbag, or watch is a bad thing or shows bad judgement. I understand some people will disagree with this and thus will choose to be a different kind of consumer. You know yourself, your finances and what ultimately is best for you and your family.
A good quality leather handbag will last a very long time. Your wife will remember the thoughtful consideration you have exhibited in thinking of her and honoring her with this gift.
Best wishes to you both.

irishbear99

Post by irishbear99 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:08 pm

Just wanted to chime in about Coach purses. They are one of my few indulgences. I enjoy them because they fit my style and are extremely high quality. I just got a new one from DH for Christmas (he bought from the Coach outlet at 50% off the mall's retail price plus another 15% off coupon - I love that man!) and use it every day. My previous purse (also Coach) was purchased in 2007 and I used it every day until Christmas. The older one is still in great condition.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:54 pm

I want to thank this thread for getting me to search for purses. Now, every web page I go to has an ad or three for a purse. Many are from Nordstrom, which I believe I can blame on the OP since I followed his link to the Marc by Marc Jacobs purse as well as his subsequent link to a monogramed D&B, both at Nordstrom.

Well played people!

island

Post by island » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:04 pm

sscritic wrote:I want to thank this thread for getting me to search for purses. Now, every web page I go to has an ad or three for a purse. Many are from Nordstrom, which I believe I can blame on the OP since I followed his link to the Marc by Marc Jacobs purse as well as his subsequent link to a monogramed D&B, both at Nordstrom.

Well played people!
Hahaha! What's that you say? Now that you're the resident purse expert, you're buying us all new ones? Yeah!! Put me down for a red one! :greedy
Last edited by island on Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:04 pm

sscritic wrote:I want to thank this thread for getting me to search for purses. Now, every web page I go to has an ad or three for a purse. Many are from Nordstrom, which I believe I can blame on the OP since I followed his link to the Marc by Marc Jacobs purse as well as his subsequent link to a monogramed D&B, both at Nordstrom.

Well played people!
You are welcome.

(You do understand that all of us split the commission every time you click on one of those ads. Now if you would just buy a bunch of purses... :wink: )

RM

nikon1234

Post by nikon1234 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:13 pm

There are few things that I could never understand as a man. Spending around $1000 for a bag is one, the other is buying shoes that look good, but you can't walk in. :happy

mfswatz9

Post by mfswatz9 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:54 pm

I used to like Coach purses but I changed to D&B several years ago. I have several, paying about $300 per purse. I buy them because I like leather, enjoy having and using them. I can afford them and they give me pleasure which is reason enough to spend the money!

I hope you and your wife shop for a purse that she will enjoy. A couple of times a year Macy's has a "friends and family" 25 % off coupon which I use to buy a purse that especially appeals to me, usually a classic design that will last for years.

My favorite D&B I bought from an outlet on the East coast. I have received many compliments on this purse.

Kersten

Post by Kersten » Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:43 pm

I don't pay attention to brand names. Lots of cost to that, and I am far too frugal and really don't care about brand names unless the product is extraordinary.

My purchases are always 100% leather.

Until a few years ago I ordered from a shop in Colorado that designed and constructed leather purses. If I wanted something special, such as a leather applique, I sent them the design. They would send me the quote for the piece and then, I could decide.

That company is now out of business but when I need a purse I shop around, always looking for 100% leather, simplicity of design and always looking for "on sale" plus:"does it meet my needs," which are, "does it have a space for everything I need when I travel?, is it comfortable to carry with a shoulder strap?, and is it a size that does not attract attention (so it does not appeal to someone who would lift it from my shoulder)?"

Leather, simplicity of design and if it meets the needs I have for a purse are the criteria I use.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:00 pm

ok, I have to put my two cents in here - since I have much experience here - I used to love Prada, Ferragamo, Louis Vuitton (they are all just hanging in my closet - some I have sold). They are really too high end for my lifestyle and too flashy. I found very nice quality bags at BANANA REPUBLIC - they lasted a long time, chic and classic - made better than many at higher prices. be very wary of ebay - you generally cannot return (or if so - it's a hassle) and sometimes, unfortunately people mis-represent. It's a difficult item to buy that way - especially for the novice. Brooks Brothers may also have some beautiful bags - but my favorite bag is black Banana Republic - pebbled (scratch resistant) and shoulder strap, large, attractive hardware - it wore so well and I got so many compliments on the original, I THEN went on ebay and found a backup (But I know basically what I was getting) for a fraction of the price - so people think I'm carrying the same bag for about 8 years :) Seriously, I've never had a pricey bag (over $500) that I felt was worth it in retrospect. Good luck in your endeavors - that is very thoughtful of you!

Batousai

Post by Batousai » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:58 am

High end purses are hobby/luxury spending like anything other luxury/hobby items. Some people would rather have a new car and some people would rather have a 300$/month purse limit. Buying either is "irrational" from the standpoint of being frugal, but there's nothing wrong with buying either if you can afford it.

jackpullo997

Post by jackpullo997 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:01 pm

Go for it.

Some people prefer to have a 7-figure portfolio, while presenting themselves to the world as homeless bums.
Your wife sounds like she has a little more style than some generic geek wearing pleated khakis and Crox.

You might like this thread
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=135642