Extremely Heavy Duty Office Chair

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Extremely Heavy Duty Office Chair

Post by DTalos »

I spend a lot of time in front of the computer and would appreciate recommendations on high back swivel office chair with a well made, heavy duty cushion that won't sink after a few months. I'm currently using a $50 when on sale high back fake leather office chair from an office supply store that's ok, but I had to buy an additional seat cushion for it because the original one went flat very soon. I wish someone would made a seat cushion that's firm like a Tempurpedic mattress. I can't afford a $900 Herman Miller Aeron chair either or to keep replacing $50 every few months because the seat cushions becomes as flat as a pancake very fast. Would appreciate recommendations on good value, but sturdy swivel office chairs.
Beck49

Re: Extremely Heavy Duty Office Chair

Post by Beck49 »

I know the Aeron chairs are pricey, but for my money they are well worth it. I have two, and one is as comfortable now as it was when I bought it 15 years ago.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I personally like Steelcase Leap chairs better than Aeron. I have one now that is 12 years old is in great condition. The price is similar to that of Aeron.

You can get very good deals on EBay for refurbished Aeron or Leap considerably less than retail. I've purchased 4 Leap chairs that way.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I bought the Steelcase Leap chairs from a store that sells "quality" used Aeron and Leap Chairs are a good price.
I bought mine about 7 years ago and still suits me very well.
I can spend hours everyday at my workstation.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

I too bought the refurbished Leap from Ebay. It's almost too firm for my taste but has been a good quality chair.
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jf89

Post by jf89 »

You don't say anything about looks... the happiest I've ever been with a chair was a mesh one. Go to Staples and spend $100 - $200 on one and you won't regret it. They breath to stay cool and the firm support stays for years and years (my parents bought one in 2001 when I was in middle school and has been used every single day since and that thing is still in great shape).

Just make sure the mesh is double-layered (it's stronger) and bounce in it a bit to make sure there isn't a support bar that you'll ever have a remote possibility of hitting with your butt.
"Save as much as you can, diversify diversify diversify, and you can't go wrong with tech stocks" | -First investing advice I recall from my parents in the 90's (two outta three ain't bad)
Rich in Michigan

Post by Rich in Michigan »

I have one from a Relax the Back store that I am happy with. Can't recall the model.

If you go with an Aeron chair, make sure you sit in it for awhile first. I bought one about four years ago, even sat in it in the store for a few minutes. After getting it home and adjusting it, I sat in it for a half hour and my legs were numb for days after. I called the manufacturer and they confirmed that I had set the chair up correctly. Then regarding my symptoms they said "yeah, the chair does that to some people." Gee great!

They wouldn't take it back and their only suggestion was to buy a different one of their chairs. Think about that one for awhile. Fortunately, the store stood behind their product and gave me my money back.

There are many happy users of that chair but there are a significant number of folks who had similar problems to me. A quick search finds lots of them. There used to be an entire website devoted to unhappy users.

So again,if you go that route make sure you test drive it for a good period of time first. If you find no issues, then you will likely be happy.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

Costco occasionally carries decent quality Steelcase and Herman Miller office seating. Both the Leap and the Aeron (discussed earlier in the thread) are excellent quality and will last you for many years.

Given the number of hours you use an office chair, why would you try to scrimp on that?
davebarnes

Herman Miller for me

Post by davebarnes »

Aeron chair
First one lasted 15 years at a cost of 5¢/hour of sitting.
Second one is only 2 years old.
Highly recommended.
A nerd living in Denver
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

Aeron chairs come in three sizes, based on weight and height.

http://www.hermanmiller.com/content/dam ... FitRef.pdf

Leap chair has adjustable depth.

http://www.steelcase.com/en/products/ca ... angtag.pdf

There's also a Leap Plus that is for larger people.
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

DTalos wrote:I spend a lot of time in front of the computer and would appreciate recommendations on high back swivel office chair with a well made, heavy duty cushion that won't sink after a few months. I'm currently using a $50 when on sale high back fake leather office chair from an office supply store that's ok, but I had to buy an additional seat cushion for it because the original one went flat very soon. I wish someone would made a seat cushion that's firm like a Tempurpedic mattress. I can't afford a $900 Herman Miller Aeron chair either or to keep replacing $50 every few months because the seat cushions becomes as flat as a pancake very fast. Would appreciate recommendations on good value, but sturdy swivel office chairs.
I clicked on this post to recommend this chair. Look on Craigslist if you can't afford a new one.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

+1 Steelcase Leap, I have owned it for 7 years, the perfect office chair
Dave
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

Many of us desk jockeys spend the majority of our awake hours sitting in a chair - I think it's totally reasonable to spend a lot for a chair.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

+1 for Steelcase as well. All of their chairs are well made. The one I sit on every day was made in 1984 and weighs probably 40 lbs. Never sat in a better chair.
island

Post by island »

Curlyq wrote:Another vote for Steelcase. I got two Steelcase task chairs that were being given away by a defunct business about a dozen years ago. Except for the mild wear and tear on the seats, they are just like new. The seat height, back height, seat pitch, arm rest heights all adjust. I want to recover the seats to match my new decorating scheme and the local Steelcase dealer will remove and reattach the seat and back cushions for me free of charge. Not many other business support their older products like this.
Curlyq. Can you give me a rough idea of the cost to recover your chair?

I have a similar situation and chair except mine is a Steelcase Criterion which has a rounded back. Chair saw heavy use 5 days a week for probably 10 years before I got it about 5 years ago. DH works from home and uses it daily. Still perfect except would like to change the color.
Everyone at work liked it so much we bought them again for new office. Highly recommend.