Best kitchen faucet?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pshonore

Best kitchen faucet?

Post by pshonore »

Once again our kitchen faucet needs replacement. Any suggestion on which brands are better? Today's models don't seem to have the quality of 20 or 30 years ago. Nothing fancy, just a faucet with some kind of spray hose in the spout, with a replaceable (cleanable) aerator. At one time I think Delta made great products but not sure if they still do. Also tried Moen with same results. Any opinions on Grohe, Mesino or Danze?
davebarnes

Yes, I have opinions

Post by davebarnes »

Had Grohe (Lady Lux) kitchen faucets. Plural. They wore out and the hoses broke. Not happy.
Now have Danze (Parma). Plural. One in old house and one in new house. We actually replaced a more expensive Moen in our new house with the Danze. Our builder was really unhappy about that as he had an emotional investment in the Moen look.

http://www.efaucets.com/detail.asp?Product_Id=D455158
A nerd living in Denver
sscritic

Re: Best kitchen faucet?

Post by sscritic »

My sister has a tap-on tap-off faucet, and my dad just got one too at her and my brother-in-law's urging (he installed it). It is just too cool. I want one.

My BIL recommended a battery powered one, rather than one running off the house wiring.

Of course they will set you back $400, but did I tell you how cool they are?

Here are some Delta's.
http://www.faucetdirect.com/touch-faucets/c15697
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Even better: touchless. It uses a motion sensor. I can't wait to one-up my dad and sister. Theirs are way cool, this is way way cool cool (doubling of adjectives - and verbs - is a Chinese thing).
The Sensate touchless faucet frees your hands so you can speed through prep, cooking and cleanup without spreading messes and germs throughout the kitchen.

Response™ technology makes Sensate respond to your every move. Simply wave your hand--or an object such as a pan or kitchen utensil—to turn Sensate on or off. Its state-of-the-art sensor is in tune with your every move, precision-designed to provide reliable operation every time. So there’s no need to worry about false activations when you're working in the sink area.
http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Sensate-Tou ... 800041.htm
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I just put in a Delta that my wife choose after shopping around. They are still probably the best option around considering price. Heard bad things about Grohe. Get online and look at some reviews for the brands you are considering.

Also look at reviews before considering the touch faucets or motion sensors. My wife read enough reviews of people frustrated with those systems that she stayed with a traditional operation despite initially coveting the touch models.

Good luck,

JT
lululu

Post by lululu »

Touch and motion sensor stuff - do these people have cats? :D
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

pshonore wrote:Today's models don't seem to have the quality of 20 or 30 years ago. Nothing fancy, just a faucet with some kind of spray hose in the spout, with a replaceable (cleanable) aerator. At one time I think Delta made great products but not sure if they still do.
I may be off by a few years, but I'm pretty sure they did not make faucets with spray hoses in the spout 30 years ago. If you want to complain that "they don't make them like they used to" you should be sure that they actually used to make them.
Topic Author
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Epsilon Delta wrote:
pshonore wrote:Today's models don't seem to have the quality of 20 or 30 years ago. Nothing fancy, just a faucet with some kind of spray hose in the spout, with a replaceable (cleanable) aerator. At one time I think Delta made great products but not sure if they still do.
I may be off by a few years, but I'm pretty sure they did not make faucets with spray hoses in the spout 30 years ago. If you want to complain that "they don't make them like they used to" you should be sure that they actually used to make them.
You're right; in those days the spray hose was a separate piece that came out of a fourth hole in the sink. Our original Delta faucet (builders special) lasted almost 25 years. Single lever control like a joystick. All metal (copper, brass, bronze) very little plastic. Mostly chromed.
jkrm

Post by jkrm »

I recommend Moen. They are easily self-serviceable. In fact I just replaced the cartridge in our kitchen faucet yesterday. It took about an hour, and that's because it was my first time with it. Next time it'll be half that time. All of our other faucets are also Moen and all use the same cartridge (or a slightly bigger one for the bathtubs). All are easy to repair.

We originally had a Delta put in when we remodeled the kitchen. When it started dripping, one plumber we called refused to work on it, and the other said he could fix it, but it'd be better just to replace it with a Moen. That's what we did, and I've never regretted it.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Moen works good in my house.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

Interesting. My only experience with Moen is in our present home. It was less than 10 years old and in severe need of replacing from corrosion. I noticed a Moen in a friend's home over the weekend and it had some noticeable corrosion. I'm hoping the Delta will last longer. Who knows?

JT
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

sscritic wrote:Even better: touchless. It uses a motion sensor. I can't wait to one-up my dad and sister. Theirs are way cool, this is way way cool cool (doubling of adjectives - and verbs - is a Chinese thing).
We installed one of these when we did a kitchen "refresh" last year, however it was from Moen.

I thought it was just a "gimmick" (wife wanted it), but after a year of use I/we really find it of value - especially when having hands full of "chicken juice" :mrgreen: ...

The only thing we came up with as a "problem" was that I planned to plug the controller module into an outlet under the kitchen sink that was also used to supply power to the disposal unit. Guess what? It would only run when the disposal was turned on (duh!). Had to quickly run a line from an adjoining switch to provide power all the time.

You can use the supplied battery pack but I wanted a direct line so I didn't have to worry about changing batteries every so often.

- Ron
ilisira

Post by ilisira »

Ron wrote:
sscritic wrote:Even better: touchless. It uses a motion sensor. I can't wait to one-up my dad and sister. Theirs are way cool, this is way way cool cool (doubling of adjectives - and verbs - is a Chinese thing).
We installed one of these when we did a kitchen "refresh" last year, however it was from Moen.

I thought it was just a "gimmick" (wife wanted it), but after a year of use I/we really find it of value - especially when having hands full of "chicken juice" :mrgreen: ...

The only thing we came up with as a "problem" was that I planned to plug the controller module into an outlet under the kitchen sink that was also used to supply power to the disposal unit. Guess what? It would only run when the disposal was turned on (duh!). Had to quickly run a line from an adjoining switch to provide power all the time.

You can use the supplied battery pack but I wanted a direct line so I didn't have to worry about changing batteries every so often.

- Ron
We just got the same touchless Moen, and got a new power line for the A/C power usage. I do not want to change batteries, and if the power is out, it can be used manually. Up until now, we are happy. I was the one who wanted it, and wife initially thought it was a gimmick, after some use, we are all happy.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Ron wrote: The only thing we came up with as a "problem" was that I planned to plug the controller module into an outlet under the kitchen sink that was also used to supply power to the disposal unit. Guess what? It would only run when the disposal was turned on (duh!).
Ron, Ron, Ron.

You just made my day. I can almost see myself doing that. No, I lie again. I can't see myself doing that.

Still laughing. :)
island

Post by island »

Redid kitchen about 13 years ago and are very happy with the Price Pfister we bought. Single handle with pull out spray/stream. looks like this, but don't think it was near that expensive. Got it at Home Depot or Home Depot Expo.
http://www.pfisterfaucets.com/Kitchen/P ... -533S.aspx

Initially bought a pricy European one. Can't remember name, leaked at the pull out point and dribbled from the spout. Replaced it twice, but no resolution so after a few months returned it. Wanted brushed nickel which was new on the scene then and hard to come by without breaking the bank. By time of return Price Pfister had a basic model in the color and config I wanted and it's still going strong. About to start a new remodel and will probably buy the same thing in chrome this time around.