Replace Motor or Buy New Washing Machine?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
C4NT

Replace Motor or Buy New Washing Machine?

Post by C4NT » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:18 pm

Hi,

I am wondering what the best course of action is on a broken washing machine. Our current washing machine of unknown age (at least 3 yo, came with house...but not significantly older than that) is not working. Replacement motor* is $265.54 $209.77 all in. I am confident that I would be able to replace the motor with only minor swearing. However, brand new washer of similar specs is $475.94 all in.

Which purchase do you think is the best long term?

Thank you for any advice.

*Based on error code blinking pattern, I have self diagnosed this as the problem. Part is 100% fully refundable (minus return shipping) if it is not the problem.

Edited to include new lower price found.
Last edited by C4NT on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Re: Replace Motor or Buy New Washing Machine?

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:25 pm

That sounds very expensive for a motor. Have you compared prices? A simple google search showed prices from $50 to $150.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

BL

Post by BL » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:27 pm

Do you really like the machine? If not, I wouldn't. I have heard lots of complaints on various types of new ones, so investigate that, also.

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:32 pm

The new machine would come with a warranty. That would make a difference for me.

Ralph

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:49 pm

I had 3 different washing machines with varied more-than-needed electronics from the same manufacturer over one year. All failed in my 4 person household. Then I went back to the basic version which we had used over the last 30 years, that is with replacement every 6 or more years. That one is holding up now for 2 1/2 years. After you buy a new one, I would also buy extended warranty. Things are not built as well as in the past.

C4NT

Post by C4NT » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:54 pm

Hello All,

Thank you for the quick replies. Prompted by livesoft I did find a lower price on a different (replacement?) part number which looks like should work for our machine. It lowered a bit, but not that much. That tips the scales towards replacement a bit more, but am still undecided (leaning towards replacement). I want to make a decision this evening (don't want laundry to pile up too much), so I welcome any more comments/suggestions/advice.

We have be fine with this model so far and would buy a similar model (it is a GE eterna series, and these seem to have favorable reviews).

Thanks again.

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:57 pm

Before doing anything check out AppliancePartsPros.com. Terrific resource; have saved me a bundle.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:43 pm

So you save $265 max for an old machine. Here is what I would do (and I also could repair it as you describe but over the years have learned it is not worth it):

1. Unplug the thing and leave it unplugged for about 48 hours. Then plug it back in and see if it works. I have successfully done this with two microwaves (different locations) and one dryer. All worked just fine after that. Computer needs to reset or something, and you need to leave it unplugged long enough for it to discharge an residual charge to totally clear the memory or something.

2. If 1. does not fix it, I would just buy a new one. You are likely to be able to find a deal on the new one - Sears has deals all the time, you can get cash back from both FatWallet type websites and using the correct credit card. Also, with the correct credit card you get a double warranty.

3. Put the old one on Craigslist. It is HIGHLY likely someone will pay you $50-$75 or maybe even $100 for the thing.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:16 pm

If you buy a new one, it probably won't match your dryer, so you will have to buy a new dryer, too. Make sure you figure that into the cost. :twisted:
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore » Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:17 pm

brand new washer of similar specs is $475.95 all in.
C4NT:

I went to my 2014 Consumer Reports Buying Guide to try and help you. Most washers have a list price of $1,000 or more. The lowest price among 35 listed was Samsung WA400PJHD[WR]k; a "Best Buy" at $700.00.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:01 pm

*Based on error code blinking pattern, I have self diagnosed this as the problem. Part is 100% fully refundable (minus return shipping) if it is not the problem.
I would be very surprised if it could be returned after it was installed. Read the details very carefully.

placeholder

Post by placeholder » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:02 am

That's what I was going to say because there's a big difference between returning a part you don't need and installing a motor and giving it a go then sending it back if it doesn't fix it.

lululu

Post by lululu » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:28 am

livesoft wrote:If you buy a new one, it probably won't match your dryer, so you will have to buy a new dryer, too. Make sure you figure that into the cost. :twisted:
I'm assuming I missed the :D above :D Oh, the world will end! I have a white dryer and a bisque washer!

I am lucky to know an excellent, honest repair company here, so I go with repairs. They tell me if an appliance is unsalvagable. DIY, I dunno.

However in my previous life elsewhere GE authorized service made a mess of repairing a dryer, multiple visits, expense grew despite my saying keep it under the cost of replacement. It never did get fixed to working order.

I buy appliances with as few features as possible, since I only use a few and then there are fewer things to break. Those also cost less.

lululu

Post by lululu » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:32 am

Taylor Larimore wrote:
C4NT:

I went to my 2014 Consumer Reports Buying Guide to try and help you. Most washers have a list price of $1,000 or more. The lowest price among 35 listed was Samsung WA400PJHD[WR]k; a "Best Buy" at $700.00.

Best wishes.
Taylor
The good appliance store where I buy has a GE washer for $700 with a Call for best quote flag, and a larger one for $800 also flagged.

What washer is the $475.95 one?

OAG

Post by OAG » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:39 am

lululu wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:
C4NT:

Best wishes.
Taylor
The good appliance store where I buy has a GE washer for $700 with a Call for best quote flag, and a larger one for $800 also flagged.

What washer is the $475.95 one?
A few cheap ones here: http://www.lowes.com/Search=clothes+was ... hes+washer#!

Don't foget to get the 10% discount if a Vet/Retired Mil.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.

C4NT

Post by C4NT » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:16 am

Hello All,

This is a comparable washer to the one we have - $449 + tax.
Saving$ wrote:So you save $265 max for an old machine. Here is what I would do (and I also could repair it as you describe but over the years have learned it is not worth it):

1. Unplug the thing and leave it unplugged for about 48 hours. Then plug it back in and see if it works. I have successfully done this with two microwaves (different locations) and one dryer. All worked just fine after that. Computer needs to reset or something, and you need to leave it unplugged long enough for it to discharge an residual charge to totally clear the memory or something.
I have reset the motor's error code three times manually but it does come back and does not spin. But, I will try the method you indicated as well.
Taylor Larimore wrote: C4NT:

Best wishes.
Taylor
Taylor, thank you for looking into this for me. I think we are going to go the repair route, instead of purchasing, to see if we can get a few more years out of the pair we have. My wife stated that if we do purchase a new washer she would like to get a higher capacity model which do cost more. When we (hopefully several years down the road) do purchase a new set we will consult Consumer Reports. Thank you for the idea.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and advice. I will update this thread when the issue has been resolved.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:08 am

clark howard said that according to consumer reports you should replace instead of repair once an appliance reaches 3-4 years old.

don't forget to check out sears scratch and dent.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:40 am

For me, motor, transmission or any part close the 1/2 the cost a new machine is my tipping point. I'd say purchase a new one at this point if you are certain its the motor.

You mentioned error codes, sounds like this machine has lots of fancy electronics. My current 15 year old top loader its a simple turn knob switch machine and Im dreading the day I have to purchase a new one. Seems the fancier they make em the more there is to break.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Watty

Post by Watty » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:14 pm

Be sure to also factor in the operating costs if a replacement will be more energy and water efficient. I stayed in a condo a few months ago that had a newer top loading washing machine without the agitator and the clothing came out of it almost dry so I am sure that it is a lot more energy efficient than the one I have at home. This was not even one of the super-efficient front loaders that can be pretty expensive.

Michread

Post by Michread » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:41 pm

I wish we fixed our old washing machine (Whirlpool); it was almost 20 yrs old with no problems/smell in all those years.

My new washer (Whirlpool Cabrio) of about 5 yrs started to smell like mold & mildew. We took it apart & cleaned out the mold/mildew on the insides, but I'm sure we'll have to keep doing that over the years to keep it clean. Not that easy to do.

This year we fixed our electric dryer of 20+ yrs on the cheap (thanks to youtube).

rpike

Post by rpike » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Last time our washer stopped working, I found out it just needed a new motor coupling which cost under $20 and I replaced with help from YouTube. Although I must say that my wife sometimes gets upset when I fix an appliance depriving her of the opportunity to replace it. When we moved into our house, we found the vintage harvest gold oven (with an attached, non-working microwave on top) was not working. I spent $15 on a new heating element, and we used that ugly oven for many years afterward.

I have not had as much success with refrigerators which seem to be much less durable than they used to be. I replaced a blower motor in one that was under 4 years old only to have something else go the following year. We gave up on it and replaced it.

Another Rick

SteveNet

Post by SteveNet » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:04 pm

My general rule of thumb... if everything else on a (any) machine works fine, and you are are happy with the unit AND the repair cost is under 30% of the cost of a replacement... then fix it.
Given this is a machine of unknown age or abuse. I would be leaning towards a new machine.
Being frugal is hard to learn, but once learned is hard to stop.

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

"When to Replace Your Washing Machine"

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:38 pm

C4NT:
Consumer Reports recommends replacing any appliance that's more than eight years old, unless it's a high-end model and has a particular appeal to you.
When to Replace Your Washing Machine

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:31 pm

I read that machines should last xx number of years. I think it is not the number of years, but the number of washing runs that are here to compare with. A machine in a single person household will last many more years than a machine in a 4 person household which uses a lot of towels every day, i.e..

binarysemaphore

Post by binarysemaphore » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Is your machine Maytag Neptune by any chance ?

I have been facing motor issues (LR Code) on my Maytag and have similar dilemma. It does not spin. Just sits there with LR code after wash cycle.