Urban garden bed--ideas to deter dog owners

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
sevenseas

Urban garden bed--ideas to deter dog owners

Post by sevenseas » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:04 pm

I volunteer to plant and maintain two small sidewalk tree beds in NYC. I am working on turning them into perennial beds (they are both now fully planted). I have had a persistent problem with dog owners letting their dogs urinate and even defecate in these beds. I should note that these are not sidewalk beds, but rather, along a divider lane next to a bike lane, i.e. these are not dogs randomly passing by on a walk, but rather, owners who are deliberately guiding their dogs to these areas to relieve themselves. I recently constructed a cheap flimsy fence (wooden dowels and nylon string) around the perimeter of the beds, hoping that this would be a deterrent, at least on a psychologic level (i.e. owners now need to physically lift their dogs and place them in the beds). Last week, I still found dog poop in one of the beds. I know this is an inevitability of urban gardening, but at the same time, find myself peeved and slightly discouraged at the rudeness of some of my neighbors.

For now, we are not allowed to install heavy duty, metal tree guards. Hopefully once my newly planted perennials spread out and fill the open space in the beds, the lack of space will in itself be a deterrent. For now though, I need ideas for 1) the most pithy, effective phrasing I could use on a sign to deter these unneighborly dog owners, and 2) other ideas for deterrents: physical, chemical, etc. Of course, nothing that would hurt the dogs or be a hazard to passing pedestrians.

p.s. I am a veterinarian, own a dog, and have absolutely nothing against dogs...only owners who refuse to curb their dogs!

livesoft

Re: Urban garden bed--ideas to deter dog owners

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:26 pm

Did you put up signs that state that no dog pooping is allowed? Perhaps with video surveillance, too? Otherwise, I can imagine that folks believe the place was specifically for their pets.

If kids walk the dogs, they are usually worse than adults.

"Danger! This site certified as hazardous to pets by veterinarians! Keep pets out! Or they may contract diseases transmittable to humans!"

A biohazard sign alone won't help, but a biohazard sign with a photo of a dead dog probably would.

You can google for images: "curb your dog" There is a nice selection of ideas although I am not a city person and never understood what "curb" meant, so I suspect other dog owners have no clue as well. But the images are suggestive.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:44 pm

Hi livesoft. The beds are clearly planted and being tended as garden areas, which I would think for normal people would be an impediment! Prior to this, they were empty dirt beds, which here in NYC are freely used as dog toilets (although by law, people are supposed to pick up after their dogs and there is supposedly a fine if they don't, though I don't think this is enforced very strictly.) I plan to put signs down, but wanted opinions as to how to phrase them so as to be the most effective. Blunt: "Curb your dog" or dog image with red X through? Polite: "Good neighbors curb their dogs" or "Please help us care for our plants; curb your dog"? Threatening/warning: "Video surveillance in effect; curb your dog" (though this of course would not be true) or "Treated area; curb your dog" (ditto). I was gonna go the polite route initially, but after finding that deposit last week, am starting to think I'll be using some stronger language!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Found a sign similar to this which seems appropriate for NYC:

This area has bedbugs! Keep pets away!

Another idea: Buy some rat poison. Take photographs of it in one of the beds and remove it. Make signs with the photos that say, "Rat poison found here. Keep pets out!" Then to scare the bejeezus out of pet owners, place very tasty dog treats in the beds that the dogs would drag owners on leashes to eat. Dogs eat the treats and the owner thinks the dog has been poisoned. By-product of this: They show up at your work.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:12 pm

What about any of these sign?

http://tinyurl.com/pnzcw3y

Or different wording so say its not allowed, as suggested.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:16 pm

Another idea:

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Definitely a sign. Some of the yards around here have signs with a drawing of a dog pooping and a crossed out red circle over it. Gets the point across as well as one that I like that says "poop happens- just not here please". I think a sign is all you need. There are a lot of irresponsible pet owners who don't pick up their dogs poop (I certainly always do) but it would take a real jerk to let their dog poop in a bed with a sign specifically asking them not to.

Edit: I do believe that actually IS poison ivy by that sign. So unless OP wants to cultivate that particular plant I would stick with no pooping please
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:23 pm

sevenseas wrote:Hi livesoft. The beds are clearly planted and being tended as garden areas, which I would think for normal people would be an impediment! Prior to this, they were empty dirt beds, which here in NYC are freely used as dog toilets (although by law, people are supposed to pick up after their dogs and there is supposedly a fine if they don't, though I don't think this is enforced very strictly.) I plan to put signs down, but wanted opinions as to how to phrase them so as to be the most effective. Blunt: "Curb your dog" or dog image with red X through? Polite: "Good neighbors curb their dogs" or "Please help us care for our plants; curb your dog"? Threatening/warning: "Video surveillance in effect; curb your dog" (though this of course would not be true) or "Treated area; curb your dog" (ditto). I was gonna go the polite route initially, but after finding that deposit last week, am starting to think I'll be using some stronger language!
The "polite" one "Good neighbors curb their dogs" sounds passive aggressive and worse than the simple "Curb your dog" to me. I'm guessing some type of humor may help.

SAM

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:27 pm

Some people are just contrary though. I don't walk my dogs in gardens, but I do ALWAYS walk on public grass that has a sign that says "Don't walk on the grass," because I think grass is meant to be walked on. So, I think putting a sign to "curb your dog" (also don't know what "curb" means in this context) might just encourage others to walk their dogs there just to be jerks. On the other hand, if you put up a sign that dangerous pesticides are in use, you might find that that's more effective.

Harold

Post by Harold » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:33 pm

livesoft wrote:I am not a city person and never understood what "curb" meant
I am a city person and can speak to this.

In its purest sense, it means that dog owners should train their dogs to use the curb (or gutter), which is the part of our shared space that has the least impact on everyone else (and is designed for waste, runoff, etc.)

When dog owners don’t do that, dogs end up going pretty much anywhere they feel like, since they don’t know any better. So people end up walking through it in the middle of a sidewalk, sitting on stoops that dogs have just relieved themselves on – and seeing painstakingly cared for gardens continually messed up.

(And there are plenty of other egregious examples -- one particularly nasty one that I see pretty regularly is dog owners allowing their dogs to lift their legs on motorcycle covers. The driver holding the cover against his body to fold it and wrap it for storage surely can’t enjoy that.)

For some reason, the pure sense of curbing one's dog is a high bar for many dog owners to attain (or even understand). So pretty much the best we can expect in general is for dog owners to exercise minimal control and mostly pick up after their dogs.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:53 pm

^But pooping in the gutter should not preclude a dog owner from scooping it up and disposing of it properly. I suspect though that many owners would think that having it in the gutter is sufficient.

I'm a dog owner and talk to other dog owners often (that's what happens if you walk your dog 4+ miles a day). I meet the nicest people, but they are all over the map when it comes to their dog's poop. They'll let their dogs go anywhere without cleaning it up and then turn around and complain about cat poop in their gardens or their dogs finding dead rats that have been poisoned or complain about folks who don't remove seeds of their sago palms.

Harold

Post by Harold » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:59 pm

livesoft wrote:^But pooping in the gutter should not preclude a dog owner from scooping it up and disposing of it properly. I suspect though that many owners would think that having it in the gutter is sufficient
Yes of course they should still pick it up, I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:35 pm

Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I may be overthinking this a bit, but to me, people who would let their dogs poop in what is clearly a garden bed, and then not clean up after it, have to already be "contrary" to some degree (trying to use polite phraseology here). So, as one poster said, I don't want to put up a sign that contrary people will take the wrong way, thus inciting them to deliberately do what I'm asking them not to do. Anything that smacks of condescension (as another poster mentioned), aggression, high-handedness, etc. might thus be best avoided.

I am now thinking of a custom sign: "Caution: Treated Area. No Dogs Please". Or something like that. I.e. fear for their pets may be the strongest deterrent. They don't have to know that the "treatment" consists of water! :wink:

And yes, for me "Curb Your Dog" means take him/her to the gutter, then pick up after. Here in NYC the street sweepers come several times a week, and between them and the rain, streets stay fairly clean (though there is a distinct ammoniac reek in my neighborhood in the summer all the same, I'm afraid to say). Pee and poop in tree beds never really go away, and do bad things to plants and trees (esp urine).

Thanks again, and my long-suffering perennials thank you too!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:41 pm

Sorry, but I'm gonna guess that you are a woman. Please let us know how this all works out.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:17 pm

I like the sign that says "your dog is cute but his poop is not - please clean up". Of course that doesn't address urine which you feel is bad for the plants.

Is there any possibility of making a pee/poop place nearby? Something with a bit of grass and a fire hydrant?

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:35 pm

retiredjg: Unfortunately, no; green space, even in the form of tiny sidewalk beds, is at a premium in this city, so not much to spare just to devote to doggy relief area....

livesoft: You are correct! Will keep everyone updated. :happy

investor1

Post by investor1 » Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:42 pm

Communicate clearly. Put up a sign that says no dogs. It isn't really reasonable to expect everyone to realize you don't want dogs in there if you didn't say that.

Don't put up a sign that says something that isn't true. People aren't dumb and might retaliate if you treat them like they are. It's insulting.

If you communicate clearly and honestly, at least you know they are at fault while you are free and clear.

ASUGrad

Post by ASUGrad » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:39 pm

Do you use any fertilizer? Thats unsafe to pets. Say Caution: Treated with Fertilizer, unsafe for pets. Otherwise stick with the sign that just says Caution: Treated Area, keep pets away.

Fertilizer can also give pets diarrhea. The risk of the poop being IN their carpet is worse than them having to pick it up.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:48 pm

Instead of fertilizer which I have never seen a dog eat, one can instead place lots of dark chocolate pieces in the beds. (<-- Guy speaking. I am not a woman.)

lululu

Post by lululu » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:38 pm

ASUGrad wrote:Otherwise stick with the sign that just says Caution: Treated Area, keep pets away.
+1

I also had no idea what curb meant in this context.

Around here there are little boxes in various places that contain plastic bags for picking up poop, with something like Please pick up after your dog signs on them. Noticeable, but not obtrusive. Whether dog owners use them, I have no idea.

ASUGrad

Post by ASUGrad » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:31 pm

lululu wrote:
ASUGrad wrote:Otherwise stick with the sign that just says Caution: Treated Area, keep pets away.
+1

I also had no idea what curb meant in this context.

Around here there are little boxes in various places that contain plastic bags for picking up poop, with something like Please pick up after your dog signs on them. Noticeable, but not obtrusive. Whether dog owners use them, I have no idea.
One huge downside to the poop box. It encourages people to walk their dogs there, and due to the dog poop smell dogs like to go out of their way to pee on the post holding up the box. Its like the fire hydrant thats been peed on by every dog alive, every new dog has to add his scent. So you might get less poop but a lot more pee and foot traffic. This would be great if you put it somewhere within visual range of the garden, but not actually at the garden.

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:10 pm

Something I often see is dogs leaving piles without barely breaking their stride. With most dog walkers talking, texting, listening to iPods, daydreaming, they simply never notice when their dog, straggling behind, takes a quick dump in a flower bed. Can't tell you how many times I've seen the dogs of even hyper-conscientious dog owners leave behind piles while their walkers, toting their clean-up bags and pooper scoopers, remain utterly oblivious to it.

I would put up a sign asking dog walkers to refrain from letting their dogs use the garden as a public waste area. But keep in mind that most people are so incredibly, absolutely oblivious to their surroundings that most dog walkers will not see the sign even if it's red and six feet tall.

One urban gardener near our home made her terrace beds raised, rimmed by about 15-20" of treated lumber. Then she planted it densely. Since most dogs around here are small, I doubt that many stepped up into the beds.

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Chile Powder, or Hot Peppers will likely deter the dogs.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Dog-Poop-Deterrent/

Unless you've personally pissed somebody off, the owners aren't going to direct their dogs into your garden; the key is to make it so the dogs don't want to be there.

MDfive21

Post by MDfive21 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:55 am

http://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Kids-Pla ... B003EH1O3I

we have that one in front of our townhouse. it's about a 5x7 inch sign 2 feet off the ground and it's made a big difference. we had (and still have) a lot of poopers who leave the waste but at least they're avoiding our place. and yes i have yelled out the window several times demanding that people pick up the waste. they get the idea eventually. it's usually the same person/dog in the same place every day.

there's a lady who plants all the beds near her townhouse and she put up handwritten signs saying 'doggie please don't pee on us' in front of her flowers. suppose that works.

i suggest finding a small sign you like and place a couple in your garden. you could even get an official looking sign stating the ordinance governing the issue.

eta: i like this one for your application.. http://www.amazon.com/No-Poop-Pee-Zone- ... B0089OZAYA

music_man

Post by music_man » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:20 pm

I've heard laying down cayenne pepper and black pepper all over is effective at deterring dogs. It won't harm them but just irritates their nose when they sniff it and discourages them in the future.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:26 pm

MDfive21 wrote:… we had (and still have) a lot of poopers who leave the waste but at least they're avoiding our place. and yes i have yelled out the window several times demanding that people pick up the waste. they get the idea eventually. it's usually the same person/dog in the same place every day.
When I read what you wrote, it seems that the signs have not worked and that even yelling out the window does not work because even so, "It's usually the same person/dog in the same place every day." Do you mind explaining please?

westie

Post by westie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:43 pm

people just don't care, I doubt signage will work, they figure that little space on the street is as much there's as yours

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:57 pm

How about the sound of fireworks continuously playing? That scares most dogs away. :happy
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

G12

Post by G12 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:35 pm

livesoft wrote:it seems that the signs have not worked and that even yelling out the window does not work because even so, "It's usually the same person/dog in the same place every day
OP, you are in a tough situation with very limited ability to persuade those that choose otherwise.

I have three dogs that I walk a lot and never leave the house without a roll of poop bags. There are two married certified neighborhood whack jobs that scream at people walking their dogs in front of their house a few streets from my house, mostly for no reason + they have a fire hydrant at the edge of their lawn and the street which would be a dog magnet. The last time the lady yelled at me when my dogs and I were in the street minding our own business she cut loose from about 40 yards away and my immediate reaction was anger as my dogs have never been on her property and after having a loud discussion with her she has never yelled at me again. Yelling at people will have an adverse effect almost 100% of the time. Yelling at guy to take his dogs, who haven't been on private property, to a dog park (never gonna happen due to imbeciles that frequent the parks) and yelling for someone to buy a house with a fenced yard when I already have a 1/2 acre 6' privacy fence is an immediate turnoff. Seriously, she thinks all a dog owner should do is let their dogs out in a fenced yard and that is adequate exercise/stimulation? A Doberman and two energetic AmStaff terrier mixes, one of which is a competition working dog? Yeah, her "advice/instructions/demands" are brilliant. ;-)

Fertilizer that is made from recycled waste, ie Milorganite or similar, is attractive to dogs. I quit using after one application due to the dogs licking it and eating it.

MDfive21

Post by MDfive21 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:40 pm

livesoft wrote:
MDfive21 wrote:… we had (and still have) a lot of poopers who leave the waste but at least they're avoiding our place. and yes i have yelled out the window several times demanding that people pick up the waste. they get the idea eventually. it's usually the same person/dog in the same place every day.
When I read what you wrote, it seems that the signs have not worked and that even yelling out the window does not work because even so, "It's usually the same person/dog in the same place every day." Do you mind explaining please?
we live in an area with a lot of apartments and townhomes. on each side of the 2 lane street, there is about 20 feet of sidewalk and grass so everyone has a 'yard.'

probably 60-70% of people walking the dogs are renters and there is a fair amount of turnover, so we'll have new people in the neighborhood who don't pick up for a few days in a row then notice the sign and stop. or they'll realize that their dog has dropped deuces for 5 days in a row in the same spot and now there are 5 deuces sitting in that spot and have an epiphany that if they want a clean place to walk the dog, they need to pick up. that's what i meant by same dog in the same place.

my second story window overlooks the front 'yard' so on occasion i'll see someone leave waste and yell 'hey pick that up!' sometimes adding expletives depending on my mood and whether it's someone i've seen before.

flyingbison

Post by flyingbison » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:49 pm

sevenseas wrote:I volunteer to plant and maintain two small sidewalk tree beds in NYC. I am working on turning them into perennial beds (they are both now fully planted). I have had a persistent problem with dog owners letting their dogs urinate and even defecate in these beds. I should note that these are not sidewalk beds, but rather, along a divider lane next to a bike lane,
Is this public property? Unless there is an ordinance preventing dogs from using this space, I'd say you are out of luck.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:28 pm

OP here. I appreciate everyone's additional thoughts, comments, and suggestions. I had a feeling this query might elicit a lively discussion!

Haven't gotten around to buying signage yet but will certainly do so. Exact phraseology still to be decided. Lots and lots of choices online. The good news is that all has been calm and waste-free recently. The annuals in one bed have grown and spread out significantly, and lack of open soil seems hopefully to be a deterrent to people placing their dogs in there. I will still need to act especially before the plants die back in the fall/winter, leaving open areas again.

I had read about using cayenne/red pepper flakes as a deterrent. However, these are public areas next to a pedestrian crosswalk, and I would worry about inquisitive children, etc. possibly being exposed. Plus, at least some of the dogs are being lifted into the beds by their owners, i.e. their entry is not by their own choice.

Thanks again, all!

mephistophles

Post by mephistophles » Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:43 pm

livesoft wrote:Instead of fertilizer which I have never seen a dog eat, one can instead place lots of dark chocolate pieces in the beds. (<-- Guy speaking. I am not a woman.)
Chocolate can kill dogs.

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:11 pm

This thread is timely, as my rude upstairs neighbor has been letting her dog urinate on my car tires. This has happened at least twice. And her dog and other dogs regularly urinate on the front of my home too.

I did some investigation on the internet and read up on recommendations about using cayenne pepper and/or regular pepper as a dog deterrent. I want the method to effectively deter dogs and other animals, but also want the method to be humane. I read a couple of sites that suggested that cayenne pepper served as more than an irritant; in some cases, they burned the dog--either their paws or their sinuses/nasal mucus, or else the pepper causes excruciating stomach pains.

It's not the dogs' fault; it's the stupid pet owners, who have absolutely no regard for other people or their environment. They are total uncouth, selfish jerks.

Right now, I've sprayed my tires and the front of my home with diluted vinegar. Don't know if it has been effective because my neighbor has been out of town. I've heard that the vinegar will at least conceal the previous urine trackS, hopefully unmarking the dogs' previous territory.

Dogs frequent certain spaces to do their business because they can smell their presence there already, as they have previously marked their territory.

DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:40 pm

Dog owners and dog walkers are worse than ever. I regularly exercise in the neighborhood. There is dogcrap everywhere: on public grassy areas; in flower beds; grass partitions between sidewalk and road are loaded with piles; even sidewalks are littered with dog fecal matter. And this is one of the highest COL areas in the nation.

Public parks and athletic areas, yep, these too are littered with dog feces. No exaggeration: it has reached the point I need to track every step in or near green areas, or I risk stepping in it.

I am beyond sick of it. I have cursed several dog owners as I watch their pet anally relieve themselves in public areas. These disgusting slobs just leave it there. Simply too lazy to clean up after their pet; I can only imagine how the animal is cared for behind closed doors.

I can understand why landlords and some associations have a no pets policy. Pet owners are lazy and they are entirely to blame; seen it with my own eyes many times.

Colorado13

Post by Colorado13 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:07 am

The city of Boulder is proposing a new process to deal with dog waste. Maybe you could jump on this bandwagon and implement something similar in your area:

A cheek swab would be added to the city's dog-registration process (What about the issue of non-registered dogs?)
The DNA information would be entered into a database.
When dog waste was found, the city would compare the DNA in waste samples to DNA samples in the database.
If there's a match, the dog owner would be fined.

You (or I) can't make this stuff up:
http://www.9news.com/story/life/pets/20 ... e/7148771/

pencap75

Post by pencap75 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:28 am

Sevenseas... is your garden in Dumbo brooklyn, by Fulton?

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:43 pm

livesoft wrote:Did you put up signs that state that no dog pooping is allowed? Perhaps with video surveillance, too?
I didn't read the rest of this thread so may have missed this ...
It is probably more important to have a sign that says "You are under video surveillance" than it is to have an actual camera.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:02 pm

mephistophles wrote: Chocolate can kill dogs.
I am sure that is true if a dog eats mass quantities of chocolate. Chocolate can make dogs very very sick and messy. But maybe we should have a poll to find out how many people on this forum have had dogs that ate chocolate and died?

BTW, raisins are problematic, too. We have wild grapes all over the place and must try to keep them away from the dog.

Khanmots

Post by Khanmots » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:04 pm

livesoft wrote:
mephistophles wrote: Chocolate can kill dogs.
I am sure that is true if a dog eats mass quantities of chocolate. Chocolate can make dogs very very sick and messy. But maybe we should have a poll to find out how many people on this forum have had dogs that ate chocolate and died?
Depends on the source of chocolate as it's some compounds in the source cacao bean that cause the problems... so how much makes it into each oz of whatever is the question. 0.1 oz per pound of body weight of a really dark or bakers chocolate is a potentially fatal level. (so two little squares of baking chocolate killing a 20 pound dog.) 1/5th of this is enough to have most dogs showing signs of toxicity. (so two squares of bakers chocolate is enough to have a 100lb dogs start showing symptoms) Some sources have lower numbers than these.

Some dogs are sensitive as well, and will require less to have a severe reaction.

I don't worry about my dog getting into a chocolate cake (low concentration of the bad stuff). I do worry about him getting into my stash of really dark chocolate (88 or 92% cocoa stuff) as it wouldn't take much for him to get himself in trouble.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:29 pm

Colorado13 wrote:The city of Boulder is proposing a new process to deal with dog waste. Maybe you could jump on this bandwagon and implement something similar in your area:

A cheek swab would be added to the city's dog-registration process (What about the issue of non-registered dogs?)
The DNA information would be entered into a database.
When dog waste was found, the city would compare the DNA in waste samples to DNA samples in the database.
If there's a match, the dog owner would be fined.

You (or I) can't make this stuff up:
http://www.9news.com/story/life/pets/20 ... e/7148771/
I have heard about this and think it is hilarious and ingenious. Reminds me of that town in Spain where they were somehow ID'ing the owners of offending dogs (though not in such a high-tech way) and mailing the poop back to them! Problem in NYC would be that many (most?) dogs are not registered, as far as I know.

sevenseas

Post by sevenseas » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:30 pm

pencap75 wrote:Sevenseas... is your garden in Dumbo brooklyn, by Fulton?
Nope, in Manhattan...I imagine it is a city-wide problem, however!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:45 pm

Khanmots wrote:Depends on the source of chocolate as it's some compounds in the source cacao bean that cause the problems... so how much makes it into each oz of whatever is the question. 0.1 oz per pound of body weight of a really dark or bakers chocolate is a potentially fatal level. (so two little squares of baking chocolate killing a 20 pound dog.) 1/5th of this is enough to have most dogs showing signs of toxicity. (so two squares of bakers chocolate is enough to have a 100lb dogs start showing symptoms) Some sources have lower numbers than these.
My 25 lb dog ate 100 grams of dark bakers chocolate. He was pretty sick and clearly felt the effects. We did not take him to the vet, but let him deal with it on his own. His symptoms were pawing his head continually, crawling on his stomach to his water bowl and barely lifting his head over the edge to drink and general malaise. Clearly his head hurt much like the way my head hurt after drinking some homemade Schnapps made from a plant similar to nightshade. Or a severe hangover. Next day he was fine. Years later he is still fine.

My point is that I'm not sure one should believe the magnitude of the toxicity effects of chocolate that one reads on the internet. That's why I wanted to know of anyone who had a dog die from eating chocolate. I know of many dogs who have eaten chocolate and were not as sick as my dog. None of these dogs died. Same for raisins and grapes. Supposed to be very toxic. I've never heard of dog death from raisins.

Sago palm seeds are another story altogether.

Tanelorn

Post by Tanelorn » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:07 pm

You have bad hearing, right? Dogs don't.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dog+ult ... +repellent