I found a new coffee.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mojave

Re: I found a new coffee.

Post by mojave » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:22 pm

Aldi's brand is really good too, we buy the whole bean. The "donut shop" version is my favorite but they rarely have that one. It's usually the "morning blend". I think it's $4 for a lb? Maybe $5.

FlyOverState

Post by FlyOverState » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:03 pm

Nicolas wrote:
bertilak wrote:
Nicolas wrote:If you want good coffee, I mean really good coffee, IMO home-roasting is the only way to go. It's cheap too, the green beans are cheap and no special equipment is needed, you can use a popcorn popper. I've been doing it for over 11 years and I'll never stop. I never buy already-roasted coffee.
How much do you roast at one time?

How long does it take?

Got a pointer to a (the) popcorn machine?

I note that there are some expensive roasters available, for example from Sweet Maria's.

I've also seen discussions where people do their roasting outside or construct elaborate exhaust vents. This kind of thing scared me away!
There's no need to purchase an expensive roaster which will just break and need repair. You can roast 1/2 cup of green beans in a West Bend Poppery II popcorn air popper in 5 to 6 minutes. Really you can use any air popper as long as the air comes from the sides of the cylinder, not from the bottom. It's generally agreed that the Poppery II is the best for roasting coffee. Not sure they're being made anymore but I've bought quite a few from my local Goodwill stores, practically new for $2.99 each. Some I've given away, others I've used as spares. For awhile I was using two at once to speed things up. With an air popper you need five or six roastings to roast a pound of green beans. After eight years or so of this method I got some colleagues at work interested in roasting and they were a little more adventurous than I and built their own roasters, dubbed "Turbo-Crazies" using a West Bend Stir Crazy popper in conjunction with a convection oven for a total cost of maybe $70 or so, and that's what I use now. With this setup I can roast a whole pound at once in 30 minutes with less fuss. I use a pound of green a week for my own purposes. A pound of green yields about 0.8 lbs. of roasted coffee due to moisture and chaff loss during the roasting process. You don't need any special venting. I do my roasting in the garage to avoid dispersing smoke throughout the house, even in winter. Here are the plans for the Turbo Crazy:

http://biobug.org/coffee/turbo-crazy/

If you want to get started I advise getting a Poppery II from your local Goodwill, then get some green online, Sweet Maria's is where I started but since then I've found cheaper suppliers. But there's a ton of good info on their website to help you get started roasting. You'll need time to practice so you can get the hang of what the beans look like, smell like, and even sound like, so you know when to take them off the heat.
+1

I try to roast just enough to get through the week. Here is what I am currently using:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/roast- ... crazy.html

And a link to how to do it:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php
Thanks, | John | | FlyOverState

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:08 pm

XtremeSki2001 wrote:
investingdad wrote:We have a Full Automatic espresso maker...basically it grinds the beans and dispenses the espresso.

We buy a 5 pound bag of coffee from CoffeBeanDirect and then split it up into glass mason jars. I pour enough beans into the hopper for each serving.

I will say that cold brewing in a French Press gives a very different coffee from the fully automatic espresso using the same beans. I grind them in a little electric grinder and then brew in the fridge for about 12 hours. I like iced coffee and have to say that this method is quite effective.
THIS!

I have a very nice Bonavita Coffee Maker, which we love. We generally use starbucks beans (purchased via Costco for cheap). However, I am an Americano fan at heart and desire a good espresso machine.

What espresso maker do you have?

As an aside, we do have a few companies we buy fresh beans from as a treat - Intelligentsia or PT's Coffee. As an aside, have yet to try Smith Farms 100% Kona Coffee, but is on the to do list.
We have a Jura Capresso F9...we bought it as a refurb from WholeLatteLove.com about five years ago for about $900 or so. It had ~200 shots made on the counter. Today it has over 9400 shots on the counter. I had to recently take some Teflon tape and wrap and re-seat the little water tube that feeds the steamer wand as it was leaking water on the counter top. It was highly irritating trying to get the specialty screw unthreaded to get into the guts of the machine. Once I figured out how to get the little tube and such apart it was an easy fix. But other than that little thing, it's going strong.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:17 pm

newkidontheblock wrote:
I wasn't a coffee drinker until 2 years ago. I found most of the coffee in chain coffee shops too bitter.
I stumbled into a coffee discussion like this one at bogleheads.org and began trying out various coffees.
newkidontheblock,

The bitterness is because they had over-roasted the coffee bean and burn some of them. Those chain has to roast coffee bean 1,000 pounds at a time and they cannot do a good job roasting. Hence, I only buy from people that roast a small batch - 50 pounds or 25 pounds at a time.

KlangFool

rec7

Post by rec7 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:33 pm

Question for the coffee people out there. Is dark roasted coffee better for people than a light roasted one? I know the dark roasted coffee has less caffeine.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:02 pm

investingdad wrote:...we bought it as a refurb from WholeLatteLove.com about five years ago for about $900 or so.
Wanted to give wholelattelove.com a thumbs up. Excellent service and return policy. I bought a refurbished Gaggia Accademia super automatic from them but after 2 weeks decided I needed machine with a more hands on approach. Returned it for a Breville BES920XL semi automatic and a Baratza Vario grinder. Very happy with my espresso and buying experience.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

rooms222

Post by rooms222 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:12 pm

The Lavazza cited above ( http://www.amazon.com/Lavazza-Ground-Co ... azza+gusto ) is a very good coffee and shows that using a good amount of quality robusta can make a great coffee (I have friends from one of the countries where robusta is grown, and not arabica).

Also, this coffee works great in my humble espresso maker (and was a hit in my friend's expensive espresso maker):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GVIT3W

Finally, if you have Aldi near your, they have both regular and mild German coffee in the 500g (over 16 oz.) bag for less than $5 bucks. It is an incredible deal, and tastes wonderful. You have to look for it among their other coffees, but it should be there, and both types should be in the same box. Because one may sell faster than the other, you may have to dig to find both.

OhioBanker

Post by OhioBanker » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:09 pm

8 o'clock coffee brand in a french press

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:02 pm

I try to roast just enough to get through the week. Here is what I am currently using:

This is very cool. We have an air popper that we use for popcorn. I am going to have to try this.

1. Where to get high quality unroasted coffee?
2. How much do you roast at one time? < 1/2 cup in a batch is that 4-5 cups?
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:12 pm

bloom2708 wrote:

This is very cool. We have an air popper that we use for popcorn. I am going to have to try this.

Coffeebeandirect.com has a good selection of green coffee beans. We only buy roasted from them, I recommend them.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:28 pm

bit of a snob..I get Seattle's Best at WalMart. They have different grades based on caffeine. I've recently gone from a Level 4 to a 2 or else I will be awake all night on 2 morning cups..must be getting old. :?

Gilberto

Post by Gilberto » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:09 pm

Peets. To be specific, Major Dickason's, melita grind.
Practicing nonattachment...

scotthal

Post by scotthal » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:26 am

Nicolas wrote:
bertilak wrote:
Nicolas wrote:If you want good coffee, I mean really good coffee, IMO home-roasting is the only way to go. It's cheap too, the green beans are cheap and no special equipment is needed, you can use a popcorn popper. I've been doing it for over 11 years and I'll never stop. I never buy already-roasted coffee.
How much do you roast at one time?

How long does it take?

Got a pointer to a (the) popcorn machine?

I note that there are some expensive roasters available, for example from Sweet Maria's.

I've also seen discussions where people do their roasting outside or construct elaborate exhaust vents. This kind of thing scared me away!
There's no need to purchase an expensive roaster which will just break and need repair. You can roast 1/2 cup of green beans in a West Bend Poppery II popcorn air popper in 5 to 6 minutes. Really you can use any air popper as long as the air comes from the sides of the cylinder, not from the bottom. It's generally agreed that the Poppery II is the best for roasting coffee...

Actually, the West Bend Poppery I (& first generation Popcorn Pumpers) are vastly superior, tho' much harder to find - they've been out of production for over 40 years. Differences were a cast (rather than stamped) roasting chamber, a more durable heating element, and a heavy duty universal AC/DC appliance motor for the blower - makes it easy to mod; & gives better control of the roasting profile. I've been using a tweaked Poppery I for more than a decade ~4 times a week; 150 - 225gm per batch. Predecessor was a commercial 'Hearthware Precision' - cost 4x as much, & only lasted 4yrs.

I'm not a snob, just a devotee
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:08 am

LifeIsGood wrote:I guess I'm a coffee snob too based on some of the above comments. One thing that surprised me is some "snobs" buy 3 lb or larger bags of coffee. I buy 12 oz bags and can tell the taste is getting stale near the end of the bag. I always close the bag up tight after each use. How can you brew great coffee when it's 3 or more wks old?
If you're a "snob", try Counter Culture Coffee - https://counterculturecoffee.com/. Some really great stuff.
OK, I'm a snob and an addict. Our 3lb bag lasts only about 10 days. :D

Plus, the combination of frugality and environmental implications (3- 12oz bags, vs. 1 bag vs. unnecessary trips vs. my time) keep me away from small portions unless there is an unusual sale.

Nicolas
Location: Oh my name it is nothin’. My age it means less. The country I come from, Is called the Midwest

Post by Nicolas » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:31 am

bloom2708 wrote:

1. If you're just starting out, Sweet Maria's offers high quality green beans, that's who I started out buying from. You can't go wrong with them. But I rarely buy from them anymore as I wish to save money. A cheaper alternative is http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com. You have to register to visit that site, but it's free to register. I buy 30 to 40 lbs. at a time and to save shipping and other fees I pick up my beans in person. You can have it shipped if you wish but I save 30% by avoiding the shipping, insurance, and PayPal fees. The beans are also cheaper than from SM's and of the same high quality.
2. With an air popper you should roast 1/2 cup of beans at a time, no more and no less. It takes five of these roastings to get through a pound of green. With my turbo-crazy roaster I roast 2 1/2 cups at a time which is one pound - it's easier to do since it's all one roast but you have to build one of these. One pound lasts me about a week and to keep it fresh I never roast more than a week's worth at a time. After ten days you'll notice quality starting to go down.

Cody

Post by Cody » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:05 am

Myths on coffee making.

http://www.vanhoutte.com/en-ca/c-the-co ... ture/myths

from Vanhoutee.

Best,
cody

gnosis

Post by gnosis » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:13 am

Cafe Altura on Amazon is organic or fair trade, depending on which you choose. It's not expensive and it's frickin delicious. I got my brother in law in Seattle hooked on it.

dmlauffer

Post by dmlauffer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:21 am

I'm a little ashamed to say I waste a lot of money on coffee. My office building has a Starbucks in the lobby. If you are going to buy good coffee daily I suggest getting a Starbucks card. I get a Grande Blonde every morning, it costs 2 dollars and get a refill for free because of my gold card status (which you will earn in about a month if you buy a cup every work day). That's a dollar per cup. Also periodically you earn a free drink or food at Starbucks for using the card so frequently. It would still be less expensive to brew myself but I never get up early enough and I really like drinking while I am working and not on my way to work.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:33 am

dmlauffer wrote:I'm a little ashamed to say I waste a lot of money on coffee. My office building has a Starbucks in the lobby. If you are going to buy good coffee daily I suggest getting a Starbucks card. I get a Grande Blonde every morning, it costs 2 dollars and get a refill for free because of my gold card status (which you will earn in about a month if you buy a cup every work day). That's a dollar per cup. Also periodically you earn a free drink or food at Starbucks for using the card so frequently. It would still be less expensive to brew myself but I never get up early enough and I really like drinking while I am working and not on my way to work.
dmlauffer,

It is not a question of money for me. Starbucks coffee is just not good enough for me. I can cold brew my coffee and bring the concentrate to work. Or, I bring my hand grinder and 2-cup Melita coffee maker to make my own fresh cup. Or, hand grinder with Aeropress. I just need hot water from office to brew my own coffee. I do the same when I travel except to try out some new coffee at some new places.

I will look for local coffee roaster when I travel so that I can try out new coffee. I aim for their house blend and see what they can do.

I am the kind of people that I would rather drink water than drinking lousy tea or coffee. I do not compromise on tea and coffee.

KlangFool

dmlauffer

Post by dmlauffer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:39 am

KlangFool wrote:
dmlauffer wrote:I'm a little ashamed to say I waste a lot of money on coffee. My office building has a Starbucks in the lobby. If you are going to buy good coffee daily I suggest getting a Starbucks card. I get a Grande Blonde every morning, it costs 2 dollars and get a refill for free because of my gold card status (which you will earn in about a month if you buy a cup every work day). That's a dollar per cup. Also periodically you earn a free drink or food at Starbucks for using the card so frequently. It would still be less expensive to brew myself but I never get up early enough and I really like drinking while I am working and not on my way to work.
dmlauffer,

It is not a question of money for me. Starbucks coffee is just not good enough for me. I can cold brew my coffee and bring the concentrate to work. Or, I bring my hand grinder and 2-cup Melita coffee maker to make my own fresh cup. Or, hand grinder with Aeropress. I just need hot water from office to brew my own coffee. I do the same when I travel except to try out some new coffee at some new places.

I will look for local coffee roaster when I travel so that I can try out new coffee. I aim for their house blend and see what they can do.

I am the kind of people that I would rather drink water than drinking lousy tea or coffee. I do not compromise on tea and coffee.

KlangFool

Bringing a press and using hot water is an excellent idea. I don't know why I've never done this. Thanks for the tip.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:47 am

dmlauffer wrote:

Bringing a press and using hot water is an excellent idea. I don't know why I've never done this. Thanks for the tip.
dmlauffer,

You could microwave water to make hot water at hotel room and office too.

KlangFool

vtMaps

Post by vtMaps » Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:16 am

bertilak wrote: I think getting the beans within a few days of roasting is a big factor. Because of shipping charges I end up buying enough at one time to last a little over a month and I always look forward to the great taste of a fresh batch.
Professional coffee tasters ("cuppers") can tell the difference between freshly roasted, and roasted 3 days ago.

Professional coffee tasters ("cuppers") can tell the difference between freshly ground, and ground 3 hours ago.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

scotthal

Post by scotthal » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:36 pm

bertilak wrote:Coffee mini-snob here. I say "mini-snob" because a full-on snob would roast the beans personally.

I think getting the beans within a few days of roasting is a big factor. Because of shipping charges I end up buying enough at one time to last a little over a month and I always look forward to the great taste of a fresh batch.
Try divvying up your months' supply into multiple half pound oxygen barrier valve bags (available thru Sweetmarias), exhaust the excess air, & store in the freezer - it may help preserve the flavor.
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian

rupalb9

Post by rupalb9 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:27 am

A supermarket near us closed when the management decided to pull out of the West Coast. I bought a lot of different brands of coffee when they had their closeout sale. The one that impressed me the most is Dallmayr Espresso Monaco.
I look forward to returning to Munich some day and enjoy a treat at their delicatessen.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Fri May 22, 2015 1:25 pm

linuxology wrote:Community Coffee Dark Roast

Me too. It is as strong as Starbucks without the bitter notes.

It is a testament to the quality of the coffee when it is served in the fine restaurants in New Orleans as well as the convenience stores in Shreveport and Houma.

I have been buying the 2# ground as I can discern any difference from when I was grinding the beans.

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Tue May 26, 2015 6:25 am

It's not very boglehead, but my wife and I really love Red Bird Coffee (http://redbirdcoffee.com/). We usually order it 5lbs at a time and freeze it until needed. Our favorite is their Ethiopia Sidama - Shakisso.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Tue May 26, 2015 7:31 am

scotthal wrote:
bertilak wrote:Coffee mini-snob here. I say "mini-snob" because a full-on snob would roast the beans personally.

I think getting the beans within a few days of roasting is a big factor. Because of shipping charges I end up buying enough at one time to last a little over a month and I always look forward to the great taste of a fresh batch.
Try divvying up your months' supply into multiple half pound oxygen barrier valve bags (available thru Sweetmarias), exhaust the excess air, & store in the freezer - it may help preserve the flavor.
scotthal,

Do you bagged the oxygen barrier bag with additional Zip lock freezer before putting into freezer??

Thanks.

KlangFool

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:12 pm

My beans stay fresh for a month+ using simple mason jars in the freezer. Costs me ~$10 for a dozen or so 16oz jars.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

mxs

Post by mxs » Tue May 26, 2015 7:40 pm

rooms222 wrote:

Finally, if you have Aldi near your, they have both regular and mild German coffee in the 500g (over 16 oz.) bag for less than $5 bucks. It is an incredible deal, and tastes wonderful. You have to look for it among their other coffees, but it should be there, and both types should be in the same box. Because one may sell faster than the other, you may have to dig to find both.
Is this the ground bean vacuum pack? I saw it today and got the regular version and will try it soon. I usually get the large Folders plastic tub at a different store in either the columbian/black silk/gourmet supreme and enjoy those. I am not a fan of Maxwell House.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Tue May 26, 2015 11:43 pm

bloom2708 wrote:Can the "coffee snobs" share their coffee of choice?

I rarely if ever drank coffee until about 10 years ago (age 33 then). Every time I was served weak/watery Folgers (parents or church). Someone was always putting sugar and cream in it.

I was in Seattle for work and had "good" coffee and the light bulb turned on. :shock:
Jamaican Blue Mountain from Costco, freshly ground at few time using a burr grinder, the using the Bunn Phase Brew HT (basically an automatic French press into a thermal carafe). Takes 10 minutes, but an amazing cup of coffee!

D57102

Post by D57102 » Wed May 27, 2015 1:34 am

I am not a heavy coffee drinker at all. So, I get green raw beans and roast them at home when I want to drink it, although it tastes better a couple of days after roasting. It takes only 10-15 min. And I enjoy the process itself. I just use hand roaster and gas oven. By this way, you never waste beans because you can stock raw beans for a couple of year. It is cheaper and more tasty.

Unfortunately, roasted coffee beans start to decay definitely 5-7 days after roasting. Of course, still drinkable, maybe subtle difference. But if you keep drinking fresh roasted coffee, you can tell the difference, like everything else.

JLJL

Post by JLJL » Wed May 27, 2015 2:03 am

Calm Man wrote:Are you ready? I use the microwave for everything. I mean everything. I avoid all additional contraptions, not because of cost,but just I don't like having them around. I have a16 ounce cup or mug or whatever filled with water most of the way. I add a packet of some artificial sweetener or other. I add half a teaspoon or instant coffee or decaf. I microwave 3 minutes. I suspect that I probably get 200 or so servings from an 8 ounce $5 bottle of instant. And I can't tell the difference between that an Starbucks when at Starbucks except Starbucks is more bitter. So I win the lowest cost contest without even trying !!!!
A few years ago I learned about electric tea kettles. Amazing. I too hate appliances, but this one has found a place on my counter top for life. Put water in it and press the little button down, water is boiling within about 1 minute and the button clicks up. Mostly I use it for a single cup French press, but do drink some instant packets of 3-in-1 from Hainan Island (the only way they drink it and famous in that part of China) and my wife and kids use it for oatmeal. Much faster and more consistent than a microwave. Anyone who boils water should own one, but these are not common in America.

I once saw a "thing on the internet" where 2 plants were fed with room temp water but one plant was fed with water that had previously been microwaved. That plant died. I don't know if it is true :)

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed May 27, 2015 12:24 pm

I like Peets Coffee (Major Dickensons is one offering but Holiday blend available at Christmas time is better) whole beans mild roasted and fresh. Only available in 1 lb bags. Watch out and make sure the store you are buying from has good turnover of coffee by inspecting the beans. They should be oily and uniformly dark brown to be fresh. If the beans are dry or light brown take the bag back to the store, they are stale and old. I then grind enough beans for 1-2 pots and use it within 2-3 days. Makes great coffee.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Thu May 28, 2015 3:13 am

supertreat wrote:I buy whole bean coffee from Sam's Club. I find most of their coffees to be of good quality - I've tried the member's mark, european cafe, and starbucks house roasts and I've liked them all. I then use an aeropress to make my coffee. I like it because you can just use a normal grinder for the beans as it uses a paper filter and you can then dilute it to the strength you like. Very affordable coffee that tastes just as good as a coffee shop. It isn't real espresso however - but close enough for me!
The Aeropress is great! It does have one major drawback. It does not make enough coffee.

http://lifehacker.com/five-best-coffee-makers-500592468

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Fri May 29, 2015 4:53 pm

Stayed at West Point recently. They served Lavazza coffee. Excellent.

bgrpph

Post by bgrpph » Fri May 29, 2015 6:26 pm

i'vew been buying from RedBirdCoffee.com for yrs- their espresso blends are good, priced reasonably & free priority mail shipping is important for us in Hawaii. Though many swear by roasting their own, i'm told green beans can't be shipped into Hawaii due to state restrictions.

Nicolas
Location: Oh my name it is nothin’. My age it means less. The country I come from, Is called the Midwest

Post by Nicolas » Fri May 29, 2015 6:31 pm

bgrpph wrote:i'vew been buying from RedBirdCoffee.com for yrs- their espresso blends are good, priced reasonably & free priority mail shipping is important for us in Hawaii. Though many swear by roasting their own, i'm told green beans can't be shipped into Hawaii due to state restrictions.
This is probably due to the coffee borer worm infestation. It's already hit the Big Island. I don't know which island you live on.