I found a new coffee.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Hexdump

I found a new coffee.

Post by Hexdump » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:12 am

We were on vacation in Destin FL and had just finished dinner and we were sipping coffee. I liked it so much that I asked the server to find out what it was.
Surprisingly, it turned out to be one that is available at Walmart in the giant economy can.
The name is Red Diamond and I highly recommend it. No connection, etc., other than a happy drinker.

I also use a single serve pod brewer and sent an email to Red Diamond asking what the equivalent roast was in a pod format.
I was very surprised and pleased to get a call from them and we talked about coffee for a bit.

So, I thought I would just pass this on to any coffee drinkers out there. A delicious coffee at a Boglehead price.
Enjoy.

bloom2708

Re: I found a new coffee.

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:39 am

Thanks. I'm always looking for new coffee to try with my Keurig. I found the Red Diamond brand on Amazon.

One of my favorites is Costco's Kirkland brand "Pacific Bold". Of course you have to buy 200 at a time. Right now you get 200 for $74.99. So 38 cents/k-cup. Pretty reasonable for K-cups.

Bulk Boglehead Buy.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

peppers

Post by peppers » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:58 am

Inspired by peppers, I stole a My K-Cup from my father (the theft was not inspired by peppers, just the experiment to follow). I then was able to get a 12oz package of Starbucks coffee on sale at my local grocery store for $5.99. Each day, I filled the My K-Cup with the suggested 2 tablespoons to the best of my shaking hands and not quite as shaky eyes abilities. Today is the 37th day, but I was only able to get 1 tablespoon out (using my latest copy of In The Vanguard as a funnel). That means I got 36.5 K-Cup equivalents from one $5.99 package of Starbucks coffee. The final cost, 16.41 cents per self filled K-Cup. Since I use the 10 oz setting and double dip, I get three cups of coffee per one K-Cup. My cost per cup of coffee, mild as it is,* is 5.47 cents.

* I only buy bold coffee to try and make up for my double dipping.

Siri has raised the bar. :) aka sscritic
Last edited by peppers on Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

mikep

Post by mikep » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:59 am

Kirkland 3 pound can works for me. Free coffee at work as well, so I drink more there than at home.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:11 am

peppers wrote:Inspired by peppers, I stole a My K-Cup from my father (the theft was not inspired by peppers, just the experiment to follow). I then was able to get a 12oz package of Starbucks coffee on sale at my local grocery store for $5.99. Each day, I filled the My K-Cup with the suggested 2 tablespoons to the best of my shaking hands and not quite as shaky eyes abilities. Today is the 37th day, but I was only able to get 1 tablespoon out (using my latest copy of In The Vanguard as a funnel). That means I got 36.5 K-Cup equivalents from one $5.99 package of Starbucks coffee. The final cost, 16.41 cents per self filled K-Cup. Since I use the 10 oz setting and double dip, I get three cups of coffee per one K-Cup. My cost per cup of coffee, mild as it is,* is 5.47 cents.

* I only buy bold coffee to try and make up for my double dipping.

Siri has raised the bar. :)
Good information. So you run 3 10 oz cups through the same grounds? I have done 2 rounds through, but thought the 2nd round was not as good/weaker. I know it is significantly cheaper to buy ground coffee and put it into a K-cup basket. You add the factors of filling the basket and dealing with keeping the ground coffee fresh. Which are probably not big issues.

I am going to buy a K-cup basket and experiment with different pre-ground coffees.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

chaz

Post by chaz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:01 am

I like Maxwell House available at Walmart.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:03 am

chaz wrote:I like Maxwell House available at Walmart.
Me too.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

tony44

Post by tony44 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:40 pm

I must be a coffee snob...I can't even read this thread anymore. Maxwell House???????? :D lol

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:56 pm

^
Same here. Totally grossed out here. But I know I am a coffee snob.

Last night I did a thorough cleaning of my grinder and espresso machine. The shots are just so good today. I really have to clean it more often.

To be honest ignorance is bliss. I am clueless about wines and a simple <$15 bottle tastes just fine to me.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:01 pm

Can the "coffee snobs" share their coffee of choice?

I rarely if ever drank coffee until about 10 years ago (age 33 then). Every time I was served weak/watery Folgers (parents or church). Someone was always putting sugar and cream in it.

I was in Seattle for work and had "good" coffee and the light bulb turned on. :shock:

Sunny Sarkar

Post by Sunny Sarkar » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:38 pm

I tried to be a coffee snob and failed. :oops: Now I toggle between Costco columbian, Folgers regular, and whatever I feel experimenting with. I've liked various coffees here and there now and then, but when I tried to brew at home, they always came out ordinary - so I gave up.
"Cost matters". "Stay the course". "Press on, regardless". ― John C. Bogle

lolbatross

Post by lolbatross » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:46 pm

bloom2708 wrote:Can the "coffee snobs" share their coffee of choice?

I rarely if ever drank coffee until about 10 years ago (age 33 then). Every time I was served weak/watery Folgers (parents or church). Someone was always putting sugar and cream in it.

I was in Seattle for work and had "good" coffee and the light bulb turned on. :shock:
Coffee snob here. I drink freshly roasted (normally less than 2 weeks old) coffee from South America or Africa. Most are microlots. I do pour over daily. Occasionally do a french press. I also make lattes on the weekends. The black coffees cost me ~ 60c per cup. A latte might be pushing $1 with milk & honey thrown in. My secret.... is a friend who likes to roast coffee and only extends cost... as its a hobby for him.

So I know this doesn't help those of you searching for a great find, but I think the keys to good coffee are freshly roasted coffee, freshly ground, in a burr grinder, made/brewed in a simple fashion - for me pour over. The last key is probably knowing what you like - dark & oily vs. light & sweet. If you know that all the other variables can be tweaked to get you what you like.

My coffee snob rule - dont buy anything that doesn't have a roast date on it! As far as branding & marketing I could care less! Also like wine price =/= quality!

*EDIT: if you're happy with folgers there is nothing wrong with that - enjoying your coffee, readily available & cheap - I'm jealous.
Last edited by lolbatross on Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheRightKost87

Post by TheRightKost87 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:48 pm

I'm certainly no coffee snob, I really only drink it at work where the K-cups are free.

But if I were filling at home, I think I'd be fine paying 16 cents each time for a cup to make sure it was decent everytime as opposed to running it 2 or 3 times. I wouldn't have to live that far below my means :)
"The problem with diversification is that it works, whether or not we want it to"

arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:53 pm

I have a bonavita coffee pot, gets the water nice and toasty and makes a good pot of coffee.

I have ground various fancy beans in the past, but due to time usually pick up a bag of starbucks pre-ground from the the grocery.
TSM / SCV / FTSE Big World / FTSE Small World / REIT / TBM / Int Term Tax Exempt

dixdak

Post by dixdak » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:13 pm

I came from a frugal state where the coffee is brewed lighter colored than your cup of tea. I used to microwave third shift coffee at work. I found a very rich flavorful local roast that I grind and brew in a Mr. Coffee. On sale, Papanicholas is six bucks for 12 oz bag. I save the bar codes and they send me 8 free bags for a years worth of coffee. I also got the grinder and travel mug through the points program.
Last edited by dixdak on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ron

Post by Ron » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:44 pm

I use Chock full o'Nuts, which I originally heard about back in the '50's when my parents would visit my aunt/uncle in NYC. It was a bit like the '50's version of Starbucks - a coffee store on every corner. I get it on sale when it's available at the local Amelia's (no Costco/Trader Joe's in my area).

I'm not a coffee snob, so it suits me just fine. Now if I could only find a Horn & Hardart Automat :D ...

- Ron

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:32 pm

Coffee mini-snob here. I say "mini-snob" because a full-on snob would roast the beans personally.

I buy roasted, whole, beans mail order from several different sources. There are many on the internet. Here are a few ...
You need to hunt around on those sites to find everything available.

I think getting the beans within a few days of roasting is a big factor. Because of shipping charges I end up buying enough at one time to last a little over a month and I always look forward to the great taste of a fresh batch.

I prefer the light to medium roasts because that shows up the unique flavor of the different varieties. I never grind ahead but grind exactly the amount needed just before brewing. Ground beans become "generic coffee" flavored quickly. Perhaps if I fooled around with vacuum-sealed bags ...
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:11 pm

Thanks for the suggestion for Red Diamond Coffee.

Here's how I brew:

Take one of these cones, put in a #2 filter (I use Melitta), put the coffee in the filter, set the filter on a really big travel mug, pour nearly boiling water slowly over the coffee. I make 2 cups at a time. I use finely ground coffee - usually I get beans for breakfast coffee and grind them right there at the super market. For an extra treat, sprinkle ground cinnamon over the coffee before pouring the water over it. Once the coffee is made - I pour a cup into a coffee cup and put the cap on the big travel mug, keeping the second cup hot while I drink the first cup.

Wonderful!

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Sin ... cone+2+cup

Here's another cone that looks about the same:

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Filter-Me ... offee+cone

They sell them by the fancy coffee beans at our local supermarket.
Last edited by Herekittykitty on Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know anything.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:11 pm

Hi,

"Mini-snob" since I do not roast my own coffee.

1) coffeeam -> you can buy freshly roasted gourmet coffee at 5 pounds bag

http://www.coffeeam.com/gourmet-coffee.html

2) Currently drinking

http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/coffee ... offee.html

$35 for 2 pounds of coffee. This lasted me for one month.

http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/brewin ... press.html

Brew some of the coffee with aeropress

The rest cold brew and freeze at freezer with glass bottle. Defrost coffee concentrate as needed.

https://toddycafe.com/cold-brew/why-toddy-cold-brew

I found that cold brew is most efficient way to brew coffee since you mix concentrate to amount of coffee that you need.

I drink one to 2 X 12 oz cup of coffee per day.

KlangFool

Chan_va

Post by Chan_va » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:58 pm

Mild snob here. For roasted coffee my favorite is blue bottle coffee. They ship the same day they roast.

I also buy green beans from sweet Maria's and roast them using a popcorn stovetop roaster.

Calm Man

Post by Calm Man » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:14 pm

Are you ready? I use the microwave for everything. I mean everything. I avoid all additional contraptions, not because of cost,but just I don't like having them around. I have a16 ounce cup or mug or whatever filled with water most of the way. I add a packet of some artificial sweetener or other. I add half a teaspoon or instant coffee or decaf. I microwave 3 minutes. I suspect that I probably get 200 or so servings from an 8 ounce $5 bottle of instant. And I can't tell the difference between that an Starbucks when at Starbucks except Starbucks is more bitter. So I win the lowest cost contest without even trying !!!!

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:18 pm

I just buy 3lb bags of Sams Club Columbia coffee and use a burr grinder.

I am a huge fan of the french press. Inexpensive and just as fast as drip coffee. We boil the water and use an 8-cup french press which perfectly fills (2) travel mugs.

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Brazil-Fren ... ench+press

Visceral

Post by Visceral » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:36 pm

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:53 pm

KlangFool wrote:Hi,
The rest cold brew and freeze at freezer with glass bottle. Defrost coffee concentrate as needed.

https://toddycafe.com/cold-brew/why-toddy-cold-brew

I found that cold brew is most efficient way to brew coffee since you mix concentrate to amount of coffee that you need.

I drink one to 2 X 12 oz cup of coffee per day.

KlangFool
Trader Joe's sells a pretty good coffee concentrate
http://www.traderjoes.com/FEARLESS-FLYE ... le_id=1708

review - http://eatingatjoes.com/2013/08/01/trad ... ncentrate/

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:13 pm

bertilak wrote:Coffee mini-snob here. I say "mini-snob" because a full-on snob would roast the beans personally.

I buy roasted, whole, beans mail order from several different sources. There are many on the internet. Here are a few ...
You need to hunt around on those sites to find everything available.

I think getting the beans within a few days of roasting is a big factor. Because of shipping charges I end up buying enough at one time to last a little over a month and I always look forward to the great taste of a fresh batch.

I prefer the light to medium roasts because that shows up the unique flavor of the different varieties. I never grind ahead but grind exactly the amount needed just before brewing. Ground beans become "generic coffee" flavored quickly. Perhaps if I fooled around with vacuum-sealed bags ...
Coffee Bean Direct user here as well. We get the Panama Bouquet.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:17 pm

Another vote for Maxwell House.
All the Best, | Joe

gasman

Post by gasman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:38 pm

All food and drink tastes better on vacation. :D
Don't underestimate an effect from the technique/brewer for making the coffee and the water that was used.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:39 pm

Ron wrote:I use Chock full o'Nuts, which I originally heard about back in the '50's when my parents would visit my aunt/uncle in NYC. It was a bit like the '50's version of Starbucks - a coffee store on every corner. I get it on sale when it's available at the local Amelia's (no Costco/Trader Joe's in my area).

I'm not a coffee snob, so it suits me just fine. Now if I could only find a Horn & Hardart Automat :D ...

- Ron
Must be that you like " the best heavenly coffee that money can buy". There are many, if any of those individual coffee stores in NYC. I do remember seeing them on Broadway a few years back.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

linuxology

Post by linuxology » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:53 pm

Community Coffee Dark Roast

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:55 am

I guess I'm a coffee snob too based on some of the above comments. One thing that surprised me is some "snobs" buy 3 lb or larger bags of coffee. I buy 12 oz bags and can tell the taste is getting stale near the end of the bag. I always close the bag up tight after each use. How can you brew great coffee when it's 3 or more wks old?
If you're a "snob", try Counter Culture Coffee - https://counterculturecoffee.com/. Some really great stuff.

Topic Author
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:13 am

Herekittykitty wrote:Thanks for the suggestion for Red Diamond Coffee.

Here's how I brew:

Take one of these cones, put in a #2 filter (I use Melitta), put the coffee in the filter, set the filter on a really big travel mug, pour nearly boiling water slowly over the coffee. I make 2 cups at a time. I use finely ground coffee - usually I get beans for breakfast coffee and grind them right there at the super market. For an extra treat, sprinkle ground cinnamon over the coffee before pouring the water over it. Once the coffee is made - I pour a cup into a coffee cup and put the cap on the big travel mug, keeping the second cup hot while I drink the first cup.

Wonderful!

http://www.amazon.com/Melitta-Ready-Sin ... cone+2+cup

Here's another cone that looks about the same:

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Filter-Me ... offee+cone

They sell them by the fancy coffee beans at our local supermarket.
Now that's interesting Kitty and I will have a try at it.

I categorize myself as a semi snob, but in truth I will drink most any coffee.
My typical day starts with brewing about 6 cups in a drip brewer and I drink on that until it runs out, about 11am. This is where I will use the Red Diamond from WalMart.
Then I switch to a pod machine for lunch and the rest of the day. I probably drink about 2 quarts a day including some teas.
My pods of choice right now and before I "discovered" the Red Diamond is OneCup, Colombian and Jamaican Me Crazy.

The cup of Red Diamond that we had at the restaurant was just so darn good that I had to try and make one like it. My wife is not so much of a coffee drinker as I am and she too was astonished at how delicious it was.

It looks like the Red Diamond pod brand is "City Steam"
http://www.shopreddiamond.com/Coffee-Pods_c_8.html

Again, I have no interest in Red Diamond other than to try and duplicate the cup we had.
Lol, maybe I need to get one of those 200 cup, industrial machines.

Nicolas
Location: Oh my name it is nothin’. My age it means less. The country I come from, Is called the Midwest

Post by Nicolas » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:17 am

If you want good coffee, I mean really good coffee, IMO home-roasting is the only way to go. It's cheap too, the green beans are cheap and no special equipment is needed, you can use a popcorn popper. I've been doing it for over 11 years and I'll never stop. I never buy already-roasted coffee.
You never miss your water till your well runs dry.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:51 am

Nicolas wrote:If you want good coffee, I mean really good coffee, IMO home-roasting is the only way to go. It's cheap too, the green beans are cheap and no special equipment is needed, you can use a popcorn popper. I've been doing it for over 11 years and I'll never stop. I never buy already-roasted coffee.
How much do you roast at one time?

How long does it take?

Got a pointer to a (the) popcorn machine?

I note that there are some expensive roasters available, for example from Sweet Maria's.

I've also seen discussions where people do their roasting outside or construct elaborate exhaust vents. This kind of thing scared me away!
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:04 am

LifeIsGood wrote:I buy 12 oz bags and can tell the taste is getting stale near the end of the bag. I always close the bag up tight after each use. How can you brew great coffee when it's 3 or more wks old?
As a long time French press aficionado and recent newbie to home espresso I've pondered this too. Apparently the simple answer is that freshly roasted whole beans can be frozen for up to 4 months with little deleterious effects.

http://www.home-barista.com/store-coffe ... eezer.html
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:09 am

I used something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Presto-04820-PopL ... orn+popper

Roasted a few days worth at a time. Also smells great when you do it. Bu that was a long time ago.

vested1

Post by vested1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:37 am

I'm so much of a coffee snob that even though I travel frequently for work I usually pack my smaller Keurig coffee maker and my favorite Peet's K-cups or Hawaiian K-cups. My snobbery only goes so far though and I refuse to grind on trips out of town.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:52 am

We have a Full Automatic espresso maker...basically it grinds the beans and dispenses the espresso.

We buy a 5 pound bag of coffee from CoffeBeanDirect and then split it up into glass mason jars. I pour enough beans into the hopper for each serving.

I will say that cold brewing in a French Press gives a very different coffee from the fully automatic espresso using the same beans. I grind them in a little electric grinder and then brew in the fridge for about 12 hours. I like iced coffee and have to say that this method is quite effective.

Chan_va

Post by Chan_va » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:09 am

bertilak wrote:
Nicolas wrote:If you want good coffee, I mean really good coffee, IMO home-roasting is the only way to go. It's cheap too, the green beans are cheap and no special equipment is needed, you can use a popcorn popper. I've been doing it for over 11 years and I'll never stop. I never buy already-roasted coffee.

How long does it take?

I note that there are some expensive roasters available, for example from Sweet Maria's.

I've also seen discussions where people do their roasting outside or construct elaborate exhaust vents. This kind of thing scared me away!
I roast about 1/2 a pound at a time. It's tricky to get an even roast with a popcorn roaster. And controlling the temperature is tricky. You will need a thermometer and will involve lots of moving on and off the heat while cranking the handle and monitoring the popping sounds.

Truth be told, my home roast is objectively not as good as a professional roast. But the subjective pleasure of doing it myself trumps the quality premium.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:11 am

bloom2708 wrote: Good information. So you run 3 10 oz cups through the same grounds? I have done 2 rounds through, but thought the 2nd round was not as good/weaker. I know it is significantly cheaper to buy ground coffee and put it into a K-cup basket. You add the factors of filling the basket and dealing with keeping the ground coffee fresh. Which are probably not big issues.

I am going to buy a K-cup basket and experiment with different pre-ground coffees.
Peppers was quoting one of my posts.

1) I have an old 4 cup Mr. Coffee carafe.
2) The Mr. Coffee carafe fits in my Keurig where you would ordinarily place your coffee mug.
3) I "make" two 10 oz "cups" of coffee into the one carafe, thus mixing the strong with the weak.
4) A coffee "cup" is 6 ounces, just ask Mr. Coffee.
5) I know math: Two times ten is twenty; twenty divided by six is more than three. OK, so I don't know precise math, but more than three is good enough for me.

Right now I am using Kona coffee that my brother-in-law from Hawaii brought over on his last trip to the mainland. After that, I will use the bag he gave my son, who doesn't drink coffee and who gave his bag to me. Then I will go back to my grocery store Starbucks. Fact that all Starbucks fans probably already know: the grocery stores sell 12 oz bags, the Starbucks store sells 16 oz bags. At least that is what I have noticed. And don't forget the stars you get on the bag. Twelve stars from twelve bags gets you a venti Frappuccino®. It is starting to get hot around here, being as it is now July, so I might have to use my reward on a Frappuccino® soon.

supertreat

Post by supertreat » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:48 am

I buy whole bean coffee from Sam's Club. I find most of their coffees to be of good quality - I've tried the member's mark, european cafe, and starbucks house roasts and I've liked them all. I then use an aeropress to make my coffee. I like it because you can just use a normal grinder for the beans as it uses a paper filter and you can then dilute it to the strength you like. Very affordable coffee that tastes just as good as a coffee shop. It isn't real espresso however - but close enough for me!
Assets - Liabilities = Equity + (Income - Expenses)

XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:08 am

investingdad wrote:We have a Full Automatic espresso maker...basically it grinds the beans and dispenses the espresso.

We buy a 5 pound bag of coffee from CoffeBeanDirect and then split it up into glass mason jars. I pour enough beans into the hopper for each serving.

I will say that cold brewing in a French Press gives a very different coffee from the fully automatic espresso using the same beans. I grind them in a little electric grinder and then brew in the fridge for about 12 hours. I like iced coffee and have to say that this method is quite effective.
THIS!

I have a very nice Bonavita Coffee Maker, which we love. We generally use starbucks beans (purchased via Costco for cheap). However, I am an Americano fan at heart and desire a good espresso machine.

What espresso maker do you have?

As an aside, we do have a few companies we buy fresh beans from as a treat - Intelligentsia or PT's Coffee. As an aside, have yet to try Smith Farms 100% Kona Coffee, but is on the to do list.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:09 am

ALERT!! Safety Recall ALERT!!

The Consumer Products Safety Commission has issued an immediate recall of these instructions. There is serious risk of injury and burns in these instructions. The CPSC believes that you are not smart enough to raise the lid on the Mr. Coffee carafe before making the coffee.

However, if you smart enough to lift the lid when placing the carafe under your Kuerig machine and before making the coffee, then you can ignore this recall.
sscritic wrote:
1) I have an old 4 cup Mr. Coffee carafe.
2) The Mr. Coffee carafe fits in my Keurig where you would ordinarily place your coffee mug.
3) I "make" two 10 oz "cups" of coffee into the one carafe, thus mixing the strong with the weak.
4) A coffee "cup" is 6 ounces, just ask Mr. Coffee.
5) I know math: Two times ten is twenty; twenty divided by six is more than three. OK, so I don't know precise math, but more than three is good enough for me.

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:02 am

vested1 wrote:I'm so much of a coffee snob that even though I travel frequently for work I usually pack my smaller Keurig coffee maker and my favorite Peet's K-cups or Hawaiian K-cups. My snobbery only goes so far though and I refuse to grind on trips out of town.
vested1,

I have a hand grinder that I used to grind my coffee when I travel. I grind in the plane and brew my coffee fresh using the Melita coffee brewer. I just asked for hot water.

http://www.amazon.com/Hario-Coffee-Mill ... io+grinder

KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:06 am

Jeff Albertson wrote:

Trader Joe's sells a pretty good coffee concentrate
http://www.traderjoes.com/FEARLESS-FLYE ... le_id=1708

review - http://eatingatjoes.com/2013/08/01/trad ... ncentrate/
Jeff Albertson,

By the way, some TGIF restaurant serve cold brewed coffee too.

KlangFool

KlangFool

Post by KlangFool » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:11 am

bloom2708,

http://www.coffeeam.com/coroch.html

Try out coffee of different region and use above URL to find coffee with similar profile until you found the region / profile that you like.

For example, I like light and sweet coffee. Hence, I tend to buy coffee with light and sweet profile. Do not go to the extreme. For example, Brazillian Santos is too light and sweet for me.

KlangFool

Nicolas
Location: Oh my name it is nothin’. My age it means less. The country I come from, Is called the Midwest

Post by Nicolas » Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:41 am

bertilak wrote:

How long does it take?

There's no need to purchase an expensive roaster which will just break and need repair. You can roast 1/2 cup of green beans in a West Bend Poppery II popcorn air popper in 5 to 6 minutes. Really you can use any air popper as long as the air comes from the sides of the cylinder, not from the bottom. It's generally agreed that the Poppery II is the best for roasting coffee. Not sure they're being made anymore but I've bought quite a few from my local Goodwill stores, practically new for $2.99 each. Some I've given away, others I've used as spares. For awhile I was using two at once to speed things up. With an air popper you need five or six roastings to roast a pound of green beans. After eight years or so of this method I got some colleagues at work interested in roasting and they were a little more adventurous than I and built their own roasters, dubbed "Turbo-Crazies" using a West Bend Stir Crazy popper in conjunction with a convection oven for a total cost of maybe $70 or so, and that's what I use now. With this setup I can roast a whole pound at once in 30 minutes with less fuss. I use a pound of green a week for my own purposes. A pound of green yields about 0.8 lbs. of roasted coffee due to moisture and chaff loss during the roasting process. You don't need any special venting. I do my roasting in the garage to avoid dispersing smoke throughout the house, even in winter. Here are the plans for the Turbo Crazy:

http://biobug.org/coffee/turbo-crazy/

If you want to get started I advise getting a Poppery II from your local Goodwill, then get some green online, Sweet Maria's is where I started but since then I've found cheaper suppliers. But there's a ton of good info on their website to help you get started roasting. You'll need time to practice so you can get the hang of what the beans look like, smell like, and even sound like, so you know when to take them off the heat.

Quotia

Post by Quotia » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:41 pm

I am not a coffee snob at all - in fact, I prefer tea - but I grew up on French Market Dark Roast with Chicory, made in a French drip pot, and that's my ideal. I don't have a French drip pot (hard to find, and I can't talk my mother out of hers), but I do have one of those little Vietnamese one-cup drip filters, which makes all the coffee I'm likely to drink at a time.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:52 pm

Nicholas,

Thanks for the great reply.

I can see that there is a level of dedication required. ("I do my roasting in the garage to avoid dispersing smoke throughout the house.") Not being up to that level, I think will be keeping the "mini" in my "mini-snob" for a while!

Although I might give the popper a try (on the back porch), just out of curiosity.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:11 pm

bertilak wrote:Nicholas,

Thanks for the great reply.

I can see that there is a level of dedication required. ("I do my roasting in the garage to avoid dispersing smoke throughout the house.") Not being up to that level, I think will be keeping the "mini" in my "mini-snob" for a while!

Although I might give the popper a try (on the back porch), just out of curiosity.
You're welcome. Actually there's not that much smoke, but enough that other family members won't stand for it. Thus I've been banished to the garage :happy The back porch will work too, of course.

newkidontheblock

Post by newkidontheblock » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:21 pm

KlangFool wrote:

bloom2708,

http://www.coffeeam.com/coroch.html

Try out coffee of different region and use above URL to find coffee with similar profile until you found the region / profile that you like.

For example, I like light and sweet coffee. Hence, I tend to buy coffee with light and sweet profile. Do not go to the extreme. For example, Brazillian Santos is too light and sweet for me.

KlangFool

I also used coffeam(http://www.coffeeam.com/coroch.html) to discover the type of coffee I like.
I buy coffee in small batches from Coffeeam and other sites.
I have found surprisingly good coffee in trader joes. Peaberry, ethiopia yirgacheffe
Whole foods has good coffee as well. I like Kenya Cru, Sumatra

I store the coffee in Coffee Vault purchased from Amazon.com. It keeps the coffee fresh for while
I grind them using burr grinder
I brew the coffee daily Technivorm Moccamaster

I wasn't a coffee drinker until 2 years ago. I found most of the coffee in chain coffee shops too bitter.
I stumbled into a coffee discussion like this one at bogleheads.org and began trying out various coffees.