I am thinking of buying Ooma or Magicjack need help deciding

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rec7

I am thinking of buying Ooma or Magicjack need help deciding

Post by rec7 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:15 pm

I am thinking of buying Ooma or Magicjack but can't make up my mind. Which do you like better? It will be my only phone.

Leif

Re: I am thinking of buying Ooma or Magicjack need help deci

Post by Leif » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:26 pm

I bought Ooma. It did not work for me. It needs QoS to work properly. That is priority ordering of packets over the internet. Since I had A T&T DSL with a Gateway (combination of router and modem in one box), and it does not support QoS, the outgoing sound was bad.

If you have a router that supports QoS then your results may be better. It has received praise in Consumer reports. If you need a basically unused Ooma device then PM me.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:46 pm

I had a problem similar to what Leif experienced. My ISP left it completely up to me to discover this. After numerous calls, they sent out a tech who informed me that it was their problem and that they would install some new equipment soon. After they did, the QoS became acceptable and I finally was able to use the Ooma Telo reliably. It is useful to run tests on your internet service using http://www.voipqualitytest.com/ or something similar. I am using all of my own phones since I had a half-dozen Dect 6 portable phones throughout the house.

[Edit] I also had Magicjack and found it lacking, perhaps due to the ISP deficiency described above. I gave up on it and went to Ooma. Now that I offended everyone I tried to communicate with for months with poor signals, they quit calling! Although I still get calls from "Rachel in cardholder services!" :oops:
Last edited by NAVigator on Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:48 pm

I've had Magic Jack and then Magic Jack Plus for years. Love it, and the cost is very Boglehead-ish @ ~$20 per year.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

Exeter

Post by Exeter » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:59 pm

I've had Ooma for a year now with Comcast ISP. No problems.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:05 pm

My suggestion. Start cheap and verify your call quality. Up quality is usually the issue. We have fast down and decent up, but quality was always digitized and blocky no matter how much I tweaked it. Wireless router to Ooma box and pass through can be complicated. I've had issues with up quality on Vonage, Cable and Ooma. I tried.

My suggestion: Buy a $20 Kyocera DuraXT (or other Sprint compatible basic phone). Transfer your home number to a line at Ting.com. $6 + minutes usage/month. Leave it at home. Take it with you if you travel.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:17 pm

clark howard has used both. he says...

ooma is ranked as the best home phone service you can get. period. he uses it in his home.

magic jack will have call quality problems on occasion. however, he uses it when he travels overseas.

i have no personal experience with either of them. my cell is my only phone.

LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:21 pm

miles monroe wrote:clark howard has used both. he says...

ooma is ranked as the best home phone service you can get. period. he uses it in his home.

magic jack will have call quality problems on occasion. however, he uses it when he travels overseas.

i have no personal experience with either of them. my cell is my only phone.
+1
I listen to Clark Howard very often and he is so in love with ooma compared to Magic Jack and when listeners call in to ask his preference, he always tells them to get ooma. Personally, have no need for a home phone so have never tried either
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful

am

Post by am » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:53 pm

Have used magic jack for about one year with rare call quality problems, but otherwise great. When I make the call again, problem goes away. Can not believe I paid for a land line all those years!

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:23 pm

rec7 wrote:I am thinking of buying Ooma or Magicjack but can't make up my mind. Which do you like better? It will be my only phone.
Not really answering the question, but if you have a little bit of computer know how, consider an OBi device. OBi separates the hardware and the VOIP service so you can switch VOIP providers. I like it a lot.

http://www.obihai.com/
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

ipod_keith

Post by ipod_keith » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:29 pm

we've been happy with our ooma (core) for 5+ years. very happy with it.
the iPhone app leaves something to be desired, but its still useful.

mediahound

Post by mediahound » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:30 pm

I've been curious about these for a while. Do I need one of these if I have a smartphone? I'm currently using only the cellphone for my telephone calls and do not have a landline phone. I'm not sure what I would gain with one of these services?

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:37 pm

mediahound wrote:I've been curious about these for a while. Do I need one of these if I have a smartphone? I'm currently using only the cellphone for my telephone calls and do not have a landline phone. I'm not sure what I would gain with one of these services?
If you don't already have a land line, you don't need either of these services/devices. Many of us have had a land line number for years that we don't want to give up because some people still call that number. These devices allow you to pay very little to retain your home phone service, eliminating the expensive monthly land line phone bills from the traditional service providers.

michpocz

Post by michpocz » Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:43 pm

Check out Nettalk, been using it for years, cost about $3.00 per month
Mike

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:05 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (alternative phone service providers).
Mel Lindauer wrote:If you don't already have a land line, you don't need either of these services/devices. Many of us have had a land line number for years that we don't want to give up because some people still call that number. These devices allow you to pay very little to retain your home phone service, eliminating the expensive monthly land line phone bills from the traditional service providers.
Verizon has a solution, although it's somewhat pricey. For those who don't have internet (cell only), consider Verizon Home Phone Connect.

Without a bundled option, the Verizon Freedom plan is $60/month. Using Verizon Home Connect and moving the landline number to Verizon Wireless, the monthly cost goes to $20 / month. You can get the activation fee waived if you go to the local Verizon Wireless store and ask the sales person.

Caution, the device doesn't allow you to plug it into the existing wall outlet- you can't use it for all the phones in the house. It's only good for connecting directly to a phone.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Sulley

Post by Sulley » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:06 pm

We've been using Ooma for about 6 months and highly recommend it. I've set up several Ooma units for friend and family members with mixed results. All the issues have been related to slow internet connections or too many other devices consuming bandwidth.

The basic Ooma unit has a built in router and can be connected directly after the internet modem. This will allow the Ooma unit to prioritize bandwidth on a slow internet connection.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:04 pm

am wrote:Have used magic jack for about one year with rare call quality problems, but otherwise great. When I make the call again, problem goes away. Can not believe I paid for a land line all those years!
What internet speed do you have? I have 5MB and am checking to see if that is fast enough.

mediahound

Post by mediahound » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:10 pm

rec7 wrote:
am wrote:Have used magic jack for about one year with rare call quality problems, but otherwise great. When I make the call again, problem goes away. Can not believe I paid for a land line all those years!
What internet speed do you have? I have 5MB and am checking to see if that is fast enough.
The internet speed is not as important as latency. Sometimes, if you tell the ISP you do VOIP, they can set something on their end to make the ping time faster (latency) on your connection, which helps VOIP.

mcrunyan

Post by mcrunyan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:16 pm

We've been using Ooma for a couple years and have been very happy with it. Have used it on both Charter and Time Warner cable ISP connections with no issues, if that's helpful. I admit I thought it was "free" when we bought the box but we pay ~$3 in taxes each month. Only reason we have it though is because cell coverage is spotty in our neighborhood.

paulsiu

Post by paulsiu » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:36 pm

My suggestion is to get the OOMA. Based my research I did a few years ago, OOMA is far superior to magic jack in both voice quality and reliability. I recall there were issue with magic jack where it refuses to connect to certain numbers. To get OOMA to work properly, I suggest puttingthe OOMA before the router and then adjust the Qos according to your bandwidth. I had setup OOMA for my mom when she moved to her new place. Initially, it worked great but the voice gets garble whenever someone surf the web, but after QOS adjustment the issue went away.

My mom is using a 3Mbs economy comcast cable connection.

Paul

ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:19 pm

How are both of these for international calls?

Ralph

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:24 am

Many great posts to the OP's question. So I'll not repeat them. But here's my input on internet phone (VOIP) from a guy who used 10+ VOIP solutions in the past 6 years.

If you use Google Voice number as your primary number, many solutions became (or will become) obsolete because GV doesn't officially support XMPP any more. But here is a workaround.

Get a VOIP provider that allows CID spoofing. Use your GV number as the outgoing CID and have GV forward incoming calls to the VOIP number.

Here's my set up.

VOIP provider: callcentric.com (monthly cost = $0.02/min for outgoing call + incoming free + $1.50 for E911 service)
SIP device: linksys PAP2T analog adapter (costs about $30 on ebay)

This is a DIY project so it's not for everyone. But I found it's better than magic jack, ooma, obi, gmail calling, sipsorcery, PIAF, freePBX, PBXes, IPkall, Vonage, various VOIP methods using smartphone, etc. If you want to know more, PM me or visit http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip

orlandoman

Post by orlandoman » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:36 am

Have OOMA & love it.
"Not everything you read on the Internet is true", Abraham Lincoln

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:41 am

I've had OOMA for about a year and been very happy with the service. The free version works great (just pay taxes), but I actually pay about $100 a year to leverage 2-lines and Google Voice integration.

Before the switch, I paid $24 a month with no long distance and no options after taxes with a land line. After the switch, I pay about $14 a month for 2-lines, unlimited long distance, Google voice integration, voicemails to email, junk call blocking, caller ID (with Facebook contacts), etc.

We ported our old phone number over to the system. We are now in the process of moving and get to keep our same number.

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:05 am

I have had both and abandoned MJ in favor of OOma. At the time that I was using MJ it required a PC to be able to run, so either use your PC or have it run on a cheap netbook or some such.
Of course if you adopt the separate PC solution then you also need virus prevention, etc.
MJ dropped a lot of calls or failed to connect, far more than OOma.
Mine runs on ATT Uverse

Ooma was far superior at the time that I was doing the testing. I only use it at home.
Re international calls, my wife calls Korea all the time and it is very cheap. I was required to post a $$$ balance against which international-call-costs are drawn.
I seem to remember $10.00 lasting a very long time.

matjen

Post by matjen » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:12 am

I have had Ooma for 5-7 years with no problems whatsoever.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:09 am

We have Ooma and love it. Did this research a couple years ago when looking to purchase and decided that the quality upgrade would be worth the increase in cost, which really is minimal when amortized. I seem to remember that at that time, the 911 implementation on Ooma was better, but maybe that has changed in the interim. We don't use the Ooma premier service, so we're paying $4/month.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

William4u

Post by William4u » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:57 pm

acegolfer wrote:Many great posts to the OP's question. So I'll not repeat them. But here's my input on internet phone (VOIP) from a guy who used 10+ VOIP solutions in the past 6 years.

If you use Google Voice number as your primary number, many solutions became (or will become) obsolete because GV doesn't officially support XMPP any more. But here is a workaround.

Get a VOIP provider that allows CID spoofing. Use your GV number as the outgoing CID and have GV forward incoming calls to the VOIP number.

Here's my set up.

VOIP provider: callcentric.com (monthly cost = $0.02/min for outgoing call + incoming free + $1.50 for E911 service)
SIP device: linksys PAP2T analog adapter (costs about $30 on ebay)

This is a DIY project so it's not for everyone. But I found it's better than magic jack, ooma, obi, gmail calling, sipsorcery, PIAF, freePBX, PBXes, IPkall, Vonage, various VOIP methods using smartphone, etc. If you want to know more, PM me or visit http://www.dslreports.com/forum/voip
+1. I love my Obi 100, which is cheap and reliable and can be used with dozens of VOIP providers.
http://www.amazon.com/OBi100-Telephone- ... B004LO098O

Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:54 pm

I've been very happy with Ooma for 3 or 4 years. Good sound quality, and some nice features, like ability to benefit from national blacklists of telemarketers. No experience with Magic Jack, but my sister in law wasn't happy with the call quality.

cbeck

Post by cbeck » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:00 pm

Leif wrote:I bought Ooma. It did not work for me. It needs QoS to work properly. That is priority ordering of packets over the internet. Since I had A T&T DSL with a Gateway (combination of router and modem in one box), and it does not support QoS, the outgoing sound was bad.

If you have a router that supports QoS then your results may be better. It has received praise in Consumer reports. If you need a basically unused Ooma device then PM me.
Not true. If you locate the Ooma router between your modem and your local router, QoS is not an issue.

Ooma 1 user since 2008 so I have zero monthly charges for life. If the OP can find an Ooma 1 device on Ebay or elsewhere, new in the box I believe he can register it and get free monthly service for life also, although he should verify with Ooma first.

kelage

Post by kelage » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:32 pm

I use both. Magic Jack for almost 5 years now. Was sometimes spotty with DSL but great with the higher speeds of FiOS. Never tried Ooma with the DSL service but it too also works great with the higher speeds of FiOS. Ported my number to Ooma. Like the ability to hook all existing phones to Ooma.

Leif

Post by Leif » Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:57 pm

cbeck wrote:
Leif wrote:I bought Ooma. It did not work for me. It needs QoS to work properly. That is priority ordering of packets over the internet. Since I had A T&T DSL with a Gateway (combination of router and modem in one box), and it does not support QoS, the outgoing sound was bad.

Not true. If you locate the Ooma router between your modem and your local router, QoS is not an issue.

Ooma 1 user since 2008 so I have zero monthly charges for life. If the OP can find an Ooma 1 device on Ebay or elsewhere, new in the box I believe he can register it and get free monthly service for life also, although he should verify with Ooma first.
Believe me, I worked with the Ooma support (not great, IMO). They had to admit there was nothing they could suggested other than changing my DSL provider. I spent way too much time on this. What you don't understand, and I tried to explain, I have a Gateway. A Gateway is a combined router and Wifi modem.

The answer to your "not true" is yep, it is true.
Last edited by Leif on Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Investors should diversify across many asset-classes so that whatever happens, we will not have all our investments in underperforming asset classes and thereby fail to meet our goals-Taylor Larimore

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:21 am

ralph124cf wrote:How are both of these for international calls?

Ralph
With MJ, calls to Canada and Puerto Rico are free. I have Canadian friends, so we use it frequently. Haven't tried other countries.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Thu Jul 03, 2014 1:20 am

I have Ooma. With comcast business class cable internet I'm happy with it. I was having network slowness issues when I previously had DSL. I'd probably not use internet phone if I was using the cheapest DSL and didn't get good speeds. (www.speedtest.net is your friend). I also like the phone blacklist features and getting my voicemail in my email.

That said, I did replace the thin flat black ethernet cable that came with the Ooma box with a round cat5 cable I got from Fry's. That seemed to resolve some early issues.

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:05 am

rec7 wrote:It will be my only phone.
Do you have a cell phone? Before completely cutting the cord, test your ISP. Jitter, latency, packet loss or other poor quality of service (QoS) will render VOIP completely unintelligible. I've found that QoS with my network and ISP (Comcast) can vary widely from day to day or hour to hour.

http://voipqualitytest.com/
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:24 pm

I do not own a cell phone. I might be one of the last hold outs LOL. Do you guys think 5MB is fast enough?

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:31 pm

smackboy1 wrote:
rec7 wrote:It will be my only phone.
Do you have a cell phone? Before completely cutting the cord, test your ISP. Jitter, latency, packet loss or other poor quality of service (QoS) will render VOIP completely unintelligible. I've found that QoS with my network and ISP (Comcast) can vary widely from day to day or hour to hour.

http://voipqualitytest.com/
I think you have to have a cell phone. Otherwise, how can you call customer service if your Internet goes down.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:47 pm

rec7 wrote:I do not own a cell phone. I might be one of the last hold outs LOL. Do you guys think 5MB is fast enough?
For voice, yes. Bear in mind that your internet bandwidth is shared. If someone is downloading a large program file at the same time you have a call, it might cut out intermittently. I don't have any direct experience with this, but that's the theory.

It might also depend on the voice Service Level Agreement. Not your ISP's service contract, but the engineering specifications that your ISP has to uphold (latency, jitter, packet loss), i.e Quality of Service (QoS). smackboy1 alludes to this in the post 3 up from this one.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:07 am

rec7 wrote:I do not own a cell phone. I might be one of the last hold outs LOL. Do you guys think 5MB is fast enough?
In my experience, the bottleneck for VOIP is not your download rate, but your upload rate. ISPs give us far less bandwidth to upload. For instance, I officially have a 10 Mbps plan, but I get 16-17 Mbps download and just over 1 Mbps upload. We've never had any quality/clarity issues when talking on the Ooma simultaneously with streaming video/downloading, but the one time we did have an issue (person on the other end couldn't hear us well), we were doing some heavy uploading to cloud storage. You should check your speeds on ookla speedtest.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

acegolfer

Post by acegolfer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:01 am

kenyan wrote: In my experience, the bottleneck for VOIP is not your download rate, but your upload rate. ISPs give us far less bandwidth to upload. For instance, I officially have a 10 Mbps plan, but I get 16-17 Mbps download and just over 1 Mbps upload. We've never had any quality/clarity issues when talking on the Ooma simultaneously with streaming video/downloading, but the one time we did have an issue (person on the other end couldn't hear us well), we were doing some heavy uploading to cloud storage. You should check your speeds on ookla speedtest.
In my experience, the bottleneck for VOIP is not only download/upload speed but also the latency. To get good quality, check the ping time to the VOIP provider IP address. 150ms is acceptable. Higher than that will cause problems in phone dialogue.

dlw322

Post by dlw322 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:22 am

I have time warner cable and OOMA for 3+ years. It took me a while to switch because I was worried about quality. Then the Costco near me started selling OOMA, I figured that I would give it a try since if I didn't like it I could easily return it. It works great and no more phone bills.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:44 am

Mel Lindauer wrote:
mediahound wrote:I've been curious about these for a while. Do I need one of these if I have a smartphone? I'm currently using only the cellphone for my telephone calls and do not have a landline phone. I'm not sure what I would gain with one of these services?
If you don't already have a land line, you don't need either of these services/devices. Many of us have had a land line number for years that we don't want to give up because some people still call that number. These devices allow you to pay very little to retain your home phone service, eliminating the expensive monthly land line phone bills from the traditional service providers.
Well, we actually picked a new number when we went to Ooma. This was a last minute change in the middle of signing up when it warned us that porting could take an extended period of time. We decided to look through the new numbers that we could pick and found one that seemed like it would be easy to remember. The change worked out well as it has greatly reduced the number of political and survey calls :D .

We keep the VOIP landline as an additional phone in case of emergency (also Ooma includes enhanced 911) and for the better call quality compared to cell.

Our cheap cell phones are prepaid and it ultimately costs about 10 cents per minute for calls, we don't use any phone a whole lot but the Ooma line still gets enough use to probably pay for itself. For example, it shows about 160 minutes over the last 2 months, that would ultimately be about $16 were cells used but Ooma only cost about $7.50 (or about $12 if I pro-rate the $100 cost of the unit over 2 years). Ooma lets us continue to get by with spending about $6 per month for service on two cell phones.
press on, regardless - John C. Bogle

Silence Dogood

Post by Silence Dogood » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:24 am

Another option would be to ditch the landline completely and go with Republic Wireless.

They have a $5/month wi-fi only plan and $10/month wi-fi plus unlimited cell talk and text. Not quite as cheap as Ooma and Magicjack but provides the additional benefit of mobility.

This is an especially good idea if you're going to be paying for a cell phone anyway.

yatesd

Post by yatesd » Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:29 am

Silence Dogood wrote:Another option would be to ditch the landline completely and go with Republic Wireless.

They have a $5/month wi-fi only plan and $10/month wi-fi plus unlimited cell talk and text. Not quite as cheap as Ooma and Magicjack but provides the additional benefit of mobility.

This is an especially good idea if you're going to be paying for a cell phone anyway.
We have both... my wife is very happy with the Moto G and Republic Wireless.

boglesmkcents

Post by boglesmkcents » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:27 pm

We replaced a Verizon landline and a Vonage VOIP line with two Ooma lines and a UPS (also purchased a generator and a large cell phone battery for longer power outages in case our cable (Comcast) and cell phone operators are still working).

Our monthly phone charges went from ~$90/month to about $13/month, and the Ooma service and feature set is great, we have a better long distance and international package, etc. Based on our experience, we highly recommend Ooma.

cbeck

Post by cbeck » Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:15 pm

acegolfer wrote:
In my experience, the bottleneck for VOIP is not only download/upload speed but also the latency. To get good quality, check the ping time to the VOIP provider IP address. 150ms is acceptable. Higher than that will cause problems in phone dialogue.
My experience is that latency doesn't matter. I use Ooma here in Bangkok where ping time to ooma.com is about 300 ms. No problems with quality in phone conversations that I can detect.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:13 am

I just got my magicJack over the weekend. I got it hooked up and gave it a test run via a 1-hr conversation with a relative. Worked great over my DSL, and with less latency than we usually have when we speak cell-to-cell. So far I give it a hearty thumbs-up.
Don't do something. Just stand there!

archbish99

Post by archbish99 » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:12 am

I'm interested in Ooma, but I just can't justify the cost. :wink:

I've got a plan through PhonePower at $14.08/month. The Ooma would bring it down to ~$3/month, but I have to pay for the hardware first ($120), plus I would have to get their Premier service (another $10/month) to keep all the features I've got, several of which we do actually use. I hear great reviews, and if we ever need to leave PhonePower for some reason we'll probably try Ooma, but for now it just doesn't pencil.
I'm not a financial advisor, I just play one on the Internet.

Hedonic Regression

Post by Hedonic Regression » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:21 am

My favorite service for the past few years has been VOIPO http://www.voipo.com/ They charge $149 (+tax) upfront for 2 years of service. That works out to a great monthly rate but I do have to say I was very hesitant signing up. At this point I've had them for 5 years and have had decent call quality throughout. Included in the package is 1 hour of international calling per month (to the usual low-cost countries) plus cheap rates thereafter. I often get hit though as I often have to call my European cousins on their mobile phones which is pricey.

SteveNet

Post by SteveNet » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:13 pm

michpocz wrote:Check out Nettalk, been using it for years, cost about $3.00 per month
Mike
+1

Years ago I tried Magic Jack, with horrendous results. It may be better now idk.

Switched to nettalk about 4 yrs ago, it's my new landline for the home, cut the cord with att. Wife is Happy! Now there's an endorsement !

The only setback with these kind of devices is they sometimes do not work well with your particular brand of router.
I use a Trendnet router, flawless performance.
Being frugal is hard to learn, but once learned is hard to stop.