Kindle - Which one to buy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Grt2bOutdoors

Kindle - Which one to buy?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:14 pm

Do you own a kindle e-reader? Which model should I buy? There are a couple of versions out there, the paper white model seems to have mixed reviews on amazon, between the first generation model and the newest edition out there.
Comments? Thanks.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Mudpuppy

Re: Kindle - Which one to buy?

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:22 pm

What do you want to do with it? Need to be able to read it in full sun? Need to be able to read it without any other light available? Concerned about eye strain (e.g. only considering a B&W screen) or do you want a color screen?

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:36 pm

Here is one of several review / comparison websites that might help;
Kindle Comparison Table
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:39 pm

I won a basic Kindle Fire at a function I attended recently - and gave it to my wife to use. She loves it. In additon to using it as a reader, that model can hook into WiFi access and allows access to emails - can't get all the fancy email stuff though.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:41 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:What do you want to do with it? Need to be able to read it in full sun? Need to be able to read it without any other light available? Concerned about eye strain (e.g. only considering a B&W screen) or do you want a color screen?
Read in full/partial sun, yes, reading with no other light available would be nice.
Do we have an option on reducing/eliminating eye strain? I've only read paperbacks, but am taking a trip and don't want to lug books with me. What does a color screen offer that a black and white doesn't?
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:57 pm

I purchased the very fist kindle when it came out, and I really liked it. Unfortunately I wear glasses, and with my glasses on even with the progressive lenses I had to increase the font size to the point or having to turn the pages quite frequently. So when the IPAD came out and I got one, I started reading on it. Since it was larger, I didn't have to turn the pages as much, plus I could read it at night with the lights on. The disadvantage were not able to read it outside, plus the weight is a lot more. Also, the light it emits is supposed to contribute to insomnia.
When the kindle paperwhite came out, I purchased it. The increased screen resolution made it so I don't have to increase the font so much, plus the built in light makes it great to read at night. That, plus the lower weight makes it my e-reader of choice.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AWH595M/ref ... 86-0442614

A lot of people like to read on their tablets, but I think the e-reader is much better at simply reading. One thing you might consider if you decide on a tablet to do all the other things it can do along with e-reading, is you can get an app on the android devices that reduce the blue light output so you wouldn't have to worry about possible insomnia when reading before bed.
If you don't want the one with the light, the regular one is 69 bucks.
Mike

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:02 pm

I have the wifi paperwhite. I really like it. I had a earlier non paperwhite earlier version that did not have a built in light nor did it have a touch screen and I really like this version much better. Battery charge lasts about a month for me and I really like having the ability to read in a dark room or outside on a sunny day. Form factor and weight are great. Light tap on the screen with my finger easily changes the page and books upload almost instantly. It comes with a rudimentary browser which would work in a pinch, but can't say I have used it much. As for having color capabilities, I can't say I have missed that feature on 99% of the books I have read although I could see the benefit for books that contain color photos or maps.

Cheryl604

Post by Cheryl604 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:19 pm

Another vote for the paperwhite- much easier to read for longer periods than the Ipad. I have the first generation and the the light isn't totally even around the edges, but it is not noticeable unless I look for it. Overall it works great in all light.

JimInIllinois

Post by JimInIllinois » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:26 pm

The wifi PaperWhite. Very light to hold and easy to read in full sun or total darkness.

chrysogonus

Post by chrysogonus » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:33 pm

If you'll be using it mostly for reading, get a paperwhite. My wife and I each have one, and they're great. Reading in the sun is no problem at all. It's backlit (but not like a laptop/ipad screen), so it's perfectly usable at night. If I want to read longer than my wife at night it's not a problem at all, and I can do so without disturbing her at all (as can she).

The tablet versions like the fire are better if you want email/web access on it. Personally I think those are distractions if I'm trying to read a novel. My dad (in his 80s) likes his iPad more than his kindle, however, since the backlight is a lot stronger and his eyes aren't as good as they used to be, but I think the paperwhite is much better for someone with relatively normal vision. The only exception to that is technical books (which for me is programming) - I think an iPad is better for that. If it's mostly text, however, the kindle is by far the better option.

If you do get a paperwhite, make sure to get the version without ads and also get the amazon case. There's a magnetic switch in the case so you can just open it and start reading, and close it to put the kindle to sleep. The user interface/experience around that is great.

I much prefer reading on the kindle than physical books. I can't remember the last paper book I read, and it makes travel great with hundreds of books in one device.

Gattamelata

Post by Gattamelata » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:39 pm

I'm a big fan of the paperwhite. In addition to the reasons mentioned above, I'd add that it has excellent battery life due to the passive display, and that it causes me less eyestrain than standard tablet displays.

When I don't have my paperwhite with me, I sometimes wind up reading on my phone or on a tablet, but when I'm at home and I sit down to read, I always reach for the paperwhite. It's a superior reading medium for me.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:40 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:What do you want to do with it? Need to be able to read it in full sun? Need to be able to read it without any other light available? Concerned about eye strain (e.g. only considering a B&W screen) or do you want a color screen?
Read in full/partial sun, yes, reading with no other light available would be nice.
Do we have an option on reducing/eliminating eye strain? I've only read paperbacks, but am taking a trip and don't want to lug books with me. What does a color screen offer that a black and white doesn't?
The B&W ereaders use the eInk technology, which does not require a backlight to display text. This means you can read it in full sun, partial sun, basically anywhere with an external light source. The only disadvantage is reading in the dark. Traditional eInk can't be read without an external light source, which is why the Kindle Paperwhite adds a light source in the bezel that illuminates the screen when you need it. It's basically a built-in booklight.

Color ereaders and tablets use a traditional backlit display. This means they are hard to read in full light (sunlight "washes out" the backlight), they don't last as long on battery power (backlit displays are much more power hungry than eInk), and many say the backlight itself can cause eyestrain when used at a close distance for a longer period of time. On the other hand, the color Kindle options are basically tablets, which means you can do a whole lot more than just read on them.

The common recommendation for long reading sessions is to get an eInk display, either with a built-in booklight like the Paperwhite or without like the original Kindle or the current cheapest Kindle (button instead of touch screen). For casual reading, either type works.

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:41 am

I own the last gen paperwhite and like it, but the newer one looked notably better when I tried it in the store. It is my go to reader for airplanes and for reading outside or in sunlight.

Inside, I read on my retina iPad mini. Not quite as easy on the eyes, but still quite pleasant, and it is a more flexible device,

rj49

Post by rj49 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:13 am

The two I have are the basic Kindle, which is pleasant and nice and has physical page-turn buttons on the side, and the Kindle Keyboard, which has the same features and has physical letters below the screen for easier searching. It also is the only device I know of that gives you free 3G web searching wherever you're at, which is especially valuable if you don't have a smartphone. For a backlit device I have a Nook Glowlight (recently at $100), and for a reading tablet I have a Nook HD (bought for $80), which also allows use of the Kindle app and offers free reading for an hour a day in BN stores. I tried out a Paperwhite at Best Buy, and I didn't like any of the built-in fonts and the backlighting made reading less immersive. If I want to read in the dark I use a tablet, or I use an LED light. I also like the darker contrasts on the non-backlit Kindles, particularly the Kindle Keyboard, which really stands out, so I can read it in the sun even with sunglasses on.

Jodi

Post by Jodi » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:40 am

My husband and I both own paperwhites. Love them! Easy to read from, long battery life and very light and portable. Highly recommended!

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:27 am

Paperwhite. My wife and I both have the PW with wifi and 3G. We also have the Amazon cover that chrysogonus mentioned. I can 100% recommend this setup. chrysogonus suggested get the ad free version. You can save a little by getting the version with ads. They only display on the lock screen. You can pay later to convert to ad free if you want.

wmcclain

Post by wmcclain » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:44 am

I have the Kindle Keyboard and have been pleased with it. I recommended the non-keyboard basic model to my wife and a friend and that has worked well for them.

I would not pay extra for a 3G model. After some time on wifi you'll have years of reading stacked up in the device. It's not hard to be near a wifi spot for impulse purchases.

The Paperwhite has a better screen but all the ones I've seen have been touch screen and I can't stand that. When I touch a tablet it either does nothing or does the wrong thing twice and I wind up smacking it. Physical buttons for me please.

Note that Kindle Fire is a completely different product. It's a modified Android tablet. Does much more but is overkill for simple reading. The B&W e-ink models are very nice for that.

-Bill
What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass. —Lord Melbourne

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:51 am

This article on the Financial Times website discussing the different aspects of and between the paper page and e-reading proved to be very interesting, with much to think about. It has commentary that could be helpful in deciding what kind of device you might purchase.

http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/53d3096a ... z362QixX33

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:55 am

I love my Kindle Paperwhite. It's small, light, I can read it in the sun, and the backlit screen makes it easy to read at night without having to turn on the lamp. I had a Kindle 2 before that.

yukonjack

Post by yukonjack » Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:10 am

Another vote for the wifi Paperwhite. I've had it for about 8 months and have really enjoyed it. It has performed as advertised. My positive experience has been similar to the earlier posts and the cost isn't bad either.

chaz

Post by chaz » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:24 am

I got DW a paperwhite, but I have the kindle app on my iPad.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:31 am

yukonjack wrote:Another vote for the wifi Paperwhite. I've had it for about 8 months and have really enjoyed it. It has performed as advertised. My positive experience has been similar to the earlier posts and the cost isn't bad either.
How satisfied are you with its capacity to surf the web? what about the speed? thanks

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:26 pm

Austintatious wrote:
yukonjack wrote:Another vote for the wifi Paperwhite. I've had it for about 8 months and have really enjoyed it. It has performed as advertised. My positive experience has been similar to the earlier posts and the cost isn't bad either.
How satisfied are you with its capacity to surf the web? what about the speed? thanks
Don't try to surf the web on a Paperwhite. It's not designed for it and the browser is beyond horrible. Get a tablet if you want to surf the web.

Sbashore

Post by Sbashore » Sun Jun 29, 2014 1:11 pm

I have a Kindle Fire HDX that I use as a tablet. It was a replacement for an iPad. It's powerful and I like it. Tried using it for reading but the glare off the screen bothered me so I bought the latest version of a Kindle Paperwhite. It's much easier on my eyes for reading and I like it for that. The two Kindles were designed for different purposes and they each fulfill their design goals quite well IMO.
Steve | Semper Fi

Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor » Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:30 pm

I prefer my Nook :)
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:06 pm

If you EVER read in bed you want the paperwhite. It is awesome to never worry about bedside lights or bothering the spouse. Save the money and get the version with ads. They are unobtrusive and only for books and only appear on the lock screen before you swipe to unlock--never when you are reading.

Also the wifi version is fine if you are able to do a modicum of planning to make sure you have the books you want loaded.

Don't even bother to think about surfing on it though. Use your phone for that. Far easier and better.

island

Post by island » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:30 pm

I asked a similar question myself last year and got lots of great replies here:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=120861

Still haven't purchased because I'm trying to read and donate my huge stash of paper books first. For me the clear winner was the Kindle Paperwhite because I like to read outside. A couple of friends have since purchased it and have been very happy with it.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:15 pm

Noobvestor wrote:I prefer my Nook :)
In the interest of full disclosure, I have a Nook with eInk screen as well. Mine is the non-Glowlight version (I can just clip on a book light when I need light). I prefer how it handles page refreshes. But Grt2bOutdoors did specifically ask about the Kindle.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Do you need to purchase the power adapter? I won't have access to a computer for a good portion of my trip, so charging it can only take place at an electrical outlet. The reviews say amazon is ripping of the consumer, what say you?

Austintatious

Post by Austintatious » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:21 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Do you need to purchase the power adapter? I won't have access to a computer for a good portion of my trip, so charging it can only take place at an electrical outlet. The reviews say amazon is ripping of the consumer, what say you?
Amazon requires you to pay an extra $15 or so, if you want the luxury of not having to look at their advertising each time you crank up the device. Is that a rip off?

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:43 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Do you need to purchase the power adapter? I won't have access to a computer for a good portion of my trip, so charging it can only take place at an electrical outlet. The reviews say amazon is ripping of the consumer, what say you?
Any USB to power outlet adapter should work, as long as it follows the USB standards for the conversion process. There's always some sort of doom and gloom warning that using anything other than the "official" charger will void warranties if the other charger messes the device up in some fashion. Using one that follows the USB spec should avoid any such issues (e.g. don't buy a $1 adapter from some no-name company with no specs published just to save a few bucks).

If you already have a USB to power outlet adapter that you've used for other electronics (say a cell phone), it should work. I use my cell phone charger for my Nook (and all my other devices with the same charging connector) and I haven't had any issues. Not only does it work, it cuts down on cords to carry, which is nice when traveling.

wmcclain

Post by wmcclain » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:00 am

^Ditto on the USB wall adapter.

Wifi uses quite a lot of power (and some even when the Kindle is turned off -- it wakes up periodically to check for new messages or content). Turn off wireless except when you need it and a charge can last a couple weeks.

The sponsored ads are a non-issue. They appear only when the device is off.

-Bill
What all the wise men promised has not happened, and what all the damned fools said would happen has come to pass. —Lord Melbourne

hand

Post by hand » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:06 am

I'm a happy user of the first generation Paperwhite, love the e-ink, and backlight, though would be interested in a version with page turn buttons in addition to the touchscreen.

As a buyer, you should be aware that there have been persistent rumors of a new and improved Kindle Paperwhite to be released *soon* (back to school timeframe?) which would presumably take advantage of improved e-ink.

Given the low cost of the devices, and significant amount of free content, I wouldn't let the wait for a new device prevent you from buying, but as an owner of an older model, I am waiting for the next generation before upgrading.

Post by 111 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 12:26 pm

Austintatious wrote:
Amazon requires you to pay an extra $15 or so, if you want the luxury of not having to look at their advertising each time you crank up the device. Is that a rip off?
FYI, they have some really good deals that are only available this way, so I don't see it as a rip off.

SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:53 pm

I've had a Kindle and the new E-ink Nook.
While I find e-readers to be nice and handy devices, for some reason I personally cannot stand reading on them.
I think it's because I'm a kinesthetic-type of learner. I have to see, feel and touch pages to keep me involved and focused when reading, which the e-Ink experience simply can't duplicate for me.

Hard to explain, but it feels like I have a tendency to gloss over material more while reading on an e-reader or laptop for that matter. It doesn't feel like 'reading' to me, but more like consuming printed text on some high tech glass screen.

E-readers do have advantages for travelers and minimalistss, but at the end of the day I just can't really make the adjustment.
I wonder if I'm the only one that feels that way.

Phika

Post by Phika » Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:19 pm

Another vote for the paperwhite.

I had the Kindle Fire HD for awhile. It's great for watching Prime shows and for surfing the web, but whenever I'm want to read a book, I always reach for my paperwhite.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:22 pm

If someone had said to me 20 years ago for $120 I can have a gadget that weighs next to nothing, can store hundreds of books, can be used at night or day without an additional light, and uploads almost every book in the world in seconds I would have told him he needs to cut down on the booze/drugs - so no I don't feel I am being ripped off.

On the other hand I can see why people are a bit perturbed. It seems a lot of lower end electronics are being sold without essential cables. Recently I have bought a Canon powershot, an Espon printer and this Kindle Paperwhite all without either a USB cable or charging cable. It is annoying when this is not clearly stated in the marketing materials. It does allow the manufacturers to offer these at lower prices. In the case of the Kindle and Canon camera I had previous versions that had these cables so I actually saved money, by not having to pay for the cables again as part of higher price for the newer version. Now the epson printer is another story. I had to buy the additional USB cable. Then they used the razor blade business model to "rip me off"by offering a cheap printer and then soaking me with super high priced ink cartridges that barely last as long as my razor blade.

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue May 02, 2017 11:12 am

Moved to a more recent thread on Kindles
Last edited by Ged on Wed May 03, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

isomorphism

Post by isomorphism » Tue May 02, 2017 11:57 am

I own the Kindle Voyage that I received as a gift, and I have used a paperwhite. There is not a lot of difference between the two, and for the price I would personally go with the paperwhite had I been buying it for myself. I asked for the paperwhite and received the voyage from a very generous person

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:08 pm

FYI - this was a revival of a 3 year old thread.