Rachel is everywhere!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
NAVigator

Rachel is everywhere!

Post by NAVigator » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:18 pm

I'm sure that everyone in the country has received the annoying call from "Rachel in cardholders services". Does Rachel have nothing better to do? How long can this go on? Aren't there any laws or regulations about this. The "Do Not Call registry" is ineffective. The calling number is spoofed. I just got a call from my own number and it was Rachel. You can run, but you can't escape the calls from Rachel. I know some people that never answer their phone because of Rachel and others like her. Is that really the only solution - only reply to people you know that leave a message?

Okay, I stopped mid-rant because I know that someone will respond with "have you Googled Rachel?" So I did. Wow, the cute cat pictures using half the storage space on the internet will soon be surpassed by complaints about Rachel. I found this from the FTC from Nov, 2012;
FTC Leads Joint Law Enforcement Effort Against Companies That Allegedly Made Deceptive Cardholder Services Robocalls

Despite the forces of the government leveled against Rachel, she continues the quest to annoy everyone. I can ignore the noise of Wall Street, but not the constant chatter from Rachel. What methods would you most like to employ to remove Rachel, the menace of modern telecommunications?

I believe the use of drones would be justifiable.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

mickeyd

Re: Rachel is everywhere!

Post by mickeyd » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:27 pm

I have not received a call from Rachel in years but have received other calls from Robogals that were (I assume) associates of hers.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:28 pm

As you age and your friends die off you'll look forward to those daily phone calls from Rachel, Credit Card Services, and all the others.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:34 pm

We have call blocking on our digital phone. That helps with some. I also think our phone can be set to only ring if the number is in our directory. Have to figure that out some day.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

dl7848

Post by dl7848 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:51 pm

I must be doing something right. I've never gotten calls from Rachel.

Heather from Account Services calls every now and then. But it's changed from once a month to once every three years. I just started ignoring Heather, and she apparently stomped off in a huff. :D

pjstack

Post by pjstack » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:57 pm

I have an answering machine.

Most robocalls hang up when my machine answers. Those that don't are easily ignored.

I only answer when someone I recognize calls.
pjstack

lululu

Post by lululu » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:16 pm

I personally wonder why the NSA can't track these people down and take them out. If it's that easy to hide the origin of calls, whatever the NSA is doing about "terrorism" is useless.

I bought a Panasonic KX-TGC210S phone, which is supposed to let you block specific numbers, but I haven't waded through the complex documentation yet, plus I am concerned it will block calls I do need to get. I haven't seen any reviews of it yet, as it is apparently a new product, but a lot of reviews of the "call blocker" devices (as opposed to the phones) say they really mess things up

I started logging the calls so that when I work up the nerve to set up the Panasonic I'll have some chance at reducing this. Since June 1st, I've gotten:

21 calls from Rachel [(removed) --admin LadyGeek]
3 from the Microsoft computer scam
3 from Senior Medical Alert
and a few miscellaneous.

One problem with the Panasonic is that you can't use wild cards in the phone number. The call blocker devices allow that, but they have so many problems that I'm staying away from those.

I'm not sure how to irritate these people in reverse. I used to spin them yarns to waste their time, but that uses too much of my time and effort. Hanging up immediately seems to prompt them to call back, I suppose the equipment thinks it didn't make a connection. Now I let their recording run to the end and hang up. I figure that wastes some of their equipment's time anyway.

(Nomorobo doesn't work on this landline, Verizon doesn't let people sign up for Call Block any more, and I get too many genuine calls from random numbers to use a whitelist.)
Last edited by lululu on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thursdaysd

Post by thursdaysd » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:25 pm

I have an answering machine.

Most robocalls hang up when my machine answers. Those that don't are easily ignored.

I only answer when someone I recognize calls.

+1 (+2 if you count a friend who does the same thing.)
Thursday's child has far to go

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:30 pm

darn, i thot this was a rachael ray thread.

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:26 pm

I feel sorry for all the real Rachels who have to make legitimate calls and say "hi this is Rachel". Do people hang up on their friends?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:32 pm

This thread has run its course and is locked (not personal nor actionable, general rant). See: A reminder that non-investing general comment threads are OT

- It must be personal. In other words, you must be asking about your own situation. You can also ask on behalf of someone specific, such as a family member.

- It must be actionable. You must be able to do something specific with the replies that will make a difference in your situation.

Also:
Note that this subforum has a much lower threshold for locking or removing posts than the financial and investing subforums. In general, controversial, offensive, pointless, divisive or mean-spirited posts or topics may be locked, edited or deleted (with or without notice) at the discretion of the moderating staff even if they do not otherwise violate forum policies.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.