YNAB on sale $15

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
keanwood

YNAB on sale $15

Post by keanwood » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:37 pm

I thought I would let everyone know that 'You need a budget' (YNAB) is on sale for $15 on steam now.

The sale will last for another 30 minutes but will probably be back on the 30th. Generally most sales get brought back on the last day of the summer sale.

--Keanwood
Spend half of your money: for you may die, save half of your money: for you may live.

miles monroe

Re: YNAB on sale $15

Post by miles monroe » Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:48 pm

lol i thot you were touting a stock with ynab as it's ticker symbol.

bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:04 pm

I saw steam so is this a video game?

I just went to steam and see it for $45. did i miss it? Sounds expensive for a budget program.

keanwood

Post by keanwood » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:52 am

bogleblitz wrote:I saw steam so is this a video game?

I just went to steam and see it for $45. did i miss it? Sounds expensive for a budget program.
Ya you missed it. And no it is not a video game, it is a budget program. Most likely it will be back on sale for $15 on the 30th. Otherwise you will have to wait till winter to see that price again.
miles monroe wrote:lol i thot you were touting a stock with ynab as it's ticker symbol.
LOL When I made the post that didn't cross my mine that people might read it like that.

--Keanwood
Spend half of your money: for you may die, save half of your money: for you may live.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:31 am

Even $45 is a pretty good price, I paid $60 18 months ago which is also what YNAB is sold for on their primary website.

JoeJohnson

Post by JoeJohnson » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:45 am

Could somebody that has used both programs provide a fair comparison of YNAB to Mint?

keanwood

Post by keanwood » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:04 pm

JoeJohnson wrote:Could somebody that has used both programs provide a fair comparison of YNAB to Mint?
They are pretty different applications.

MINT:
Its free
Web based (you do not download anything)
You give it your account info and it automatically grabs your spending data.
It will try to SELL YOU services (credit score, premium credit cards, car loans etc)
Works on your phone(android, iOS)

YNAB:
15-60 dollars ( $15 is only on steam during a sale. Usually twice per year)
You have to download it to your computer (windows, mac, linux)
You manually enter in every transaction.
Works on phone (android, iOS)

I have used and stopped using both. I never really liked Mint but since it is free I still have it. It will send you an alert if it sees a large transaction so I suppose it could help stop credit fraud. I liked YNAB quit a lot but I switched to an excel spreadsheet that I made.

I would say that if you have a problem with budgeting then you should use YNAB. It forces you to see what you are spending and forces you to 'assign' what you are doing with each dollar before you spend it.

--Keanwood

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:23 pm

It will probably be back to $15 on Steam on the last day of the current Summer Sale; they usually reprise all of their daily deals then. Don't know for sure, but the last day may be June 30.

I use YNAB on Steam, purchased for this price 9-10 months ago.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

ddoubleu

Post by ddoubleu » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:02 pm

I purchased YNAB a couple years ago and it's changed how I budget money for the better as it's allowed me to maximize my savings based on the four YNAB rules. Without it I'm certain my savings wouldn't be as big.