Fed up with ATT

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
IlliniDave

Fed up with ATT

Post by IlliniDave »

Right now I have a land line and DSL through ATT. My bill continually creeps up every month until I call and complain, then it will go back down and immediately start creeping back up.

I don't really need a land line but I like having it so I have a number to give out to people I don't really want to talk to (banks, insurance people, etc.). I just have an answering machine hooked up to it and return legitimate (non-marketing) calls. That keeps most of the irritation calls segregated from my cell phone.

I can probably get internet through the cable company (I use DirecTv for the 6 months of the year I actually use the TV). But I'm not sure what to do about keeping my landline number and maintaining my "screening" phone line. Are any of the internet-based phone providers worth considering?

Any suggestions?

I currently have cell service from Verizon. I've heard there are other secondary providers out there now from whom I could get comparable quality but much cheaper service options. Any suggestions there?
Don't do something. Just stand there!
Crimsontide

Re: Fed up with ATT

Post by Crimsontide »

Cut the cord. I did it a couple of years ago and have not regretted it for a moment...
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

You don't say how much you spend now on your landline. You can check out Vonage, Ooma and Magic Jack and see if you can port (transfer) your number to them. I'm fairly certain you can with Vonage, as they have the most established VOIP operation. I use Vonage, hooked up to my cable modem, and pay about $16 a month ($9.99 for their cheapest plan plus taxes and fees). Ooma is a bit less expensive, but I can't keep my phone number with them - they offer porting in nearby towns, but not in mine. Magic Jack is almost certainly the least expensive option, but again I can't keep my phone number with them. If you don't mind getting a new phone number, then I'd go with Magic Jack.

But it sounds like you really need to compare your internet and TV services, too. Cable internet will almost certainly be faster and better than DSL, and in my area they are both about the same price. As for TV, does Directv really let you shut off service for six months and then start up again?
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

If you want to keep a more or less similar setup to what you have now, then Ooma is probably the easiest cheap option for you. There are others even cheaper that require more work to setup and Vonage with about the same work for more.

That said, I would sign up for Google Voice and chane the setting that when it forwards calls to your cell, it presents your Google Voice Caller ID rather than who actually called. Then just let those calls go to Google Voice's voicemail or turn that off and let them go to your cell's voicemail. Total cost = $0.00 per month and maybe a one-time fee if you choose to port your existing number to Google Voice.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

Walmart's BasicTalk VOIP service costs $10-15 a month (depends on taxes where you are), and they let you port your old number.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Yes, the internet phone companies are worth considering. The simplest and most popular and one is Ooma. They currently have a $99 special for the necessary hardware and after that the cost of service is just taxes unless you choose the 'Premier' $10/mo upgraded services option. I use a different company - Voipo - because I want the voice mail to email feature which requires 'Premier' with Ooma. I can get Voipo for about half that by utilizing their specials.

Take a look at Ooma and if the basic services are acceptable to you then it's pretty much a slam dunk in my opinion. If you want or need any of the optional services that require their 'Premier' service to obtain then it's probably worth doing some further research and shopping around.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
midareff

Post by midareff »

I think I'd dump the land line and replace it with a second cell #. AT&T charges $9.99 for a second #. Land line has to be way more than that.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

We have a landline because we don't have cable. The landline provides internet, 911, outgoing tollfree numbers, and incoming calls. We pay extra if we make an outgoing call. It also works during power failures. I think this kind of landline is one of those special "life-line" deals and costs less than "basic". Our monthly cost has creeped up to $32.36 with most of that the charge for internet. The phone company knows that we would ditch them, so they cannot raise the price more than very very slowly.

Does your company have a "life-line" usually reserved for seniors?
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Keep in mind that it's not just ATT that does this industry trick. Cable tv also creeps up, as do all communication companies.
When out right naming a company, you must keep in mind they all do this. Drop the service if you're not happy with it.
Last edited by rustymutt on Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

It's a shabby, industry wide practice to load up the bill, hoping the customer will just pay.

Nearly every thing on those bills is negotiable, trust me.

Seems the only way to play the game is to call them on a frequent basis and threaten to leave.

Their bet is that people won't do that, so they win, most of the time.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
billjohnson

Post by billjohnson »

Crimsontide wrote:Cut the cord.
+1
Lon

Post by Lon »

I have been very happy with Vonage
Working2notWork

Post by Working2notWork »

IlliniDave wrote:I currently have cell service from Verizon. I've heard there are other secondary providers out there now from whom I could get comparable quality but much cheaper service options. Any suggestions there?
We switched to PagePlus and haven't looked back (saving over 50%). You have to be able to flash your phone yourself, have someone do it for you ($40/phone) or purchase one of PagePlus's phones. We flashed our phones off Verizon and onto Page+'s and haven't seen any difference in quality.
Working2notWork

midareff wrote:I think I'd dump the land line and replace it with a second cell #.
Research how to setup your own VOIP server using Google Voice. It costs $25 (just checked what I paid) upfront for the hardware as well as some time learning how to setup/configure it. In the long run this saves your hundreds, if not thousands.
Last edited by Working2notWork on Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

I just give everyone my cell phone number and then use Mr. number app to block spam calls.
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
siamond

Post by siamond »

After buying the Ooma box (I think it's $99 nowadays, and they usually have some discounts), and a fee to transfer my existing phone number, I stopped the voice service from my current carrier (Verizon). The Ooma service itself costs me $3.80 per month, and works really well, including free voice mail. Vonage is known to be good too, but more expensive. MagicJack is well-known for their poor service, and harassing you with dubious marketing offers.

This being said, you probably pay for a bundle voice+Internet with your service provider (AT&T or else). Moving to Internet only might not lower the bill very much, if at all. When people say 'cut the cord', they usually mean the TV/video services, at least when referring to what truly saves money.

Still, moving to something like Ooma has the great virtue of allowing you to move (or threaten to move) to another carrier at any time, and the actual switch will keep your phone number unchanged, and at no cost. That in itself, in those days of heavy discounts towards 'new' customers, is quite valuable.
lululu

Post by lululu »

copper landline = works during power failures n.b. including disasters, 911 always works.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

You can completely ditch the phone and get a Google Voice number if you never make outgoing calls over it. Sure, google will have your transcribed calls, but hey, they have every other piece of private information on me anyways.

My setup is a VoIP home phone (Ooma, $5/month in taxes/fees), Verizon FiOS 15/5 ($35/month + taxes), and Ting ($23/month, Sprint MVNO) for two smart phones. Grand total TV/Internet/Phone bill is ~$69/month (for the next 2 years unless taxes go up). I have an antenna (that I need to put back up), and a HTPC so I can watch lots of stuff for free. I mooch off of my parents Netflix account, and my kids watch shows for free on DisneyJr.com.

If you go with a home phone VoIP provider, just buy a decent sized UPS to keep the Internet modem, router, and phone units on. I have a huge one hooked up to mine that I used to use for my desktop while in college. So, my phones will stay on for hours after a power outage if I turn off the server also on the UPS.

Oh, and cable lines work just as well as copper in power failures and disasters. Both will fail if the line to your house is cut. Both will work otherwise (as cable providers have generators), but you need an UPS on your end for the cable.
Working2notWork

lululu wrote:copper landline = works during power failures n.b. including disasters, 911 always works.
FIOS and VOIP server battery back up, granted they only last so long. Also, cellphones work good for that too :beer
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I use Magic Jack. I had my old home # ported over for a one-time charge. The device costs ~$49 or so and the VOIP service is $20 per year. I have it connected to my house phones with the answering machine, so that takes care of screening out the sales calls. Works like a charm at an extremely low cost.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
lululu

Post by lululu »

Working2notWork wrote:
lululu wrote:copper landline = works during power failures n.b. including disasters, 911 always works.
FIOS and VOIP server battery back up, granted they only last so long. Also, cellphones work good for that too :beer
During Sandy and its aftermath in my area, copper landlines worked, FIOS and cell phones were out. The battery backup for FIOS and Cox is something dismal; I don't remember what they told me on the phone, but between 4 hours and a day. That's a joke for serious storm damage.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Mel Lindauer wrote:I use Magic Jack. I had my old home # ported over for a one-time charge. The device costs ~$49 or so and the VOIP service is $20 per year. I have it connected to my house phones with the answering machine, so that takes care of screening out the sales calls. Works like a charm at an extremely low cost.
Mel what speed internet do you have? I am thinking about Magic Jack.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

rec7 wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:I use Magic Jack. I had my old home # ported over for a one-time charge. The device costs ~$49 or so and the VOIP service is $20 per year. I have it connected to my house phones with the answering machine, so that takes care of screening out the sales calls. Works like a charm at an extremely low cost.
I have the basic 10 mbs down/1 mbs up plan with my local cable provider and it works fine.
Topic Author
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Wow, thanks, everyone for all the thoughtful responses! I'm overwhelmed. Magic jack may be the way to go since I only want to use it to screen calls. Ooma sounds good too. Even Vonage. I'd like to switch to cable internet as they have much better speed for the same cost, but there seems to be some up-front costs including some software subscription service I don't want. I suppose I'll call them tomorrow and see if there's any way around some of that.

Of course, I also have half a mind to just cut the cord like a couple suggested. But the internet has become my lifeline to famiy/friends scattered over the entire 48, and I also worry about security vulnerabilities going to a public place with free wifi access. I don't know if someone could readily hack me or not. But dumping my internet connection would be an act of courage (one which would give me back 2 hours of my life each day though).

Anyone have experience with republic wireless? I oughta look at switching cell plans while I'm at it.
michelef

Post by michelef »

My teenage son and I both switched to Republic Wireless and are very pleased. We have Moto G phones ($150 each) and subscribe to the $10/mo plan which includes unlimited calls and texting, and ability to use wifi when available for internet access. With rare exception, the call quality has been great. We live in the Atlanta area.
Topic Author
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

michelef wrote:My teenage son and I both switched to Republic Wireless and are very pleased. We have Moto G phones ($150 each) and subscribe to the $10/mo plan which includes unlimited calls and texting, and ability to use wifi when available for internet access. With rare exception, the call quality has been great. We live in the Atlanta area.
Thanks, michelef. Looks like between it and magic jack I can reduce the croupier's take by a little over $750/year and still have all the functionality I have now except I could wind up losing service if a power outage outlasts my UPS. It was out 5 days after the 2011 tornadoes. My land line phone is cordless and with no power to the base unit it didn't work anyway, relied on erratic cell coverage that first couple days, but it was eventually restored long before the power came back on..
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

How are 911 calls handled?
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
rec7 wrote:
I have the basic 10 mbs down/1 mbs up plan with my local cable provider and it works fine.
Thanks Mel I tried it on 756k but had an echo. I am thinking a faster speed would help me.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We never went the DSL route but our folks did for a while. They moved to cable after a while and have never gone back!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

rustymutt wrote:

How are 911 calls handled?
Here's some information on how 911 calls are handled:

http://www.practicalwaystosavemoney.com/?p=5184
http://www.magicjack.com/action/plain_t ... frame=true
Sriracha

Post by Sriracha »

IlliniDave wrote:I don't really need a land line but I like having it so I have a number to give out to people I don't really want to talk to (banks, insurance people, etc.). I just have an answering machine hooked up to it and return legitimate (non-marketing) calls. That keeps most of the irritation calls segregated from my cell phone. ....
IlliniDave, I was in that position too for a while and finally just decided to ditch the ATT land line completely. So far, I haven't been bothered by the waste-of-time calls on the mobile phone. It has really been a joy to be free of the land line (and its inflated expense.)
Don't reach for yield.
Topic Author
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Sriracha wrote:
IlliniDave wrote:I don't really need a land line but I like having it so I have a number to give out to people I don't really want to talk to (banks, insurance people, etc.). I just have an answering machine hooked up to it and return legitimate (non-marketing) calls. That keeps most of the irritation calls segregated from my cell phone. ....
IlliniDave, I was in that position too for a while and finally just decided to ditch the ATT land line completely. So far, I haven't been bothered by the waste-of-time calls on the mobile phone. It has really been a joy to be free of the land line (and its inflated expense.)
That's really what I should do, but I'll probably wean myself gradually. The solution I'm gravitating towards is magicjack/Republic Wireless. I'll have an upfront cost of about $200 then save around $60-65/month on an ongoing basis, provided my DSL bandwidth is up to it. Comcast really gouges for high speed internet imo. Hopefully I wont have to upgrade because it will eat $15-20 of that savings and add to the up-front costs as well.

I'm coming to realize the best move for my quality of life is to ditch the internet at the house, as it winds up being a vehicle for time wasting. I could just dump DSL and landline and be $85/month ahead. Actually, it would be $93/mo because I'd dump my netflix subscription too.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Using the cancellation threat works with ATT always, I've been on a new-consumer promotion for about 4 years by calling once every 6 months. In my experience, it's comcast that is wayyyy more inflexible.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

denovo wrote:Using the cancellation threat works with ATT always, I've been on a new-consumer promotion for about 4 years by calling once every 6 months. In my experience, it's comcast that is wayyyy more inflexible.
For me, this has generally been true too, but the new consumer promotions have inched up. I started with 6.0 down/0.5 mbps up for $14.95 and each year inched up until I was $36.95 for the same service until a couple months ago. This time around, they would NOT let me keep DSL Direct and HAD to move to U-Verse for any pricing. But, they offered 6.0 down/1.5 up for the same $36.95. I did end up switching to 12/1.5 for $41 flat though.
kcb203

Post by kcb203 »

Working2notWork wrote:
IlliniDave wrote:I currently have cell service from Verizon. I've heard there are other secondary providers out there now from whom I could get comparable quality but much cheaper service options. Any suggestions there?
We switched to PagePlus and haven't looked back (saving over 50%). You have to be able to flash your phone yourself, have someone do it for you ($40/phone) or purchase one of PagePlus's phones. We flashed our phones off Verizon and onto Page+'s and haven't seen any difference in quality.
PagePlus uses Verizon's network. I switched my parents to PagePlus to save money. Unfortunately, PagePlus messed up the account, closed it by accident, and lost my parents' phone numbers they'd had for a decade. I was able to reclaim one number, but not the other.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

I had both with AT&T and dumped this in February. We get internet through Time Warner Cable for $14.99 a month and home phone through voip.ms and an Obi100 for 99 cents a month plus a penny a minute for non 800 numbers.

Previously cost us about $63 a month, now costs less than $17 a month.
denovo

Post by denovo »

BrandonBogle wrote:
denovo wrote:Using the cancellation threat works with ATT always, I've been on a new-consumer promotion for about 4 years by calling once every 6 months. In my experience, it's comcast that is wayyyy more inflexible.
For me, this has generally been true too, but the new consumer promotions have inched up. I started with 6.0 down/0.5 mbps up for $14.95 and each year inched up until I was $36.95 for the same service until a couple months ago. This time around, they would NOT let me keep DSL Direct and HAD to move to U-Verse for any pricing. But, they offered 6.0 down/1.5 up for the same $36.95. I did end up switching to 12/1.5 for $41 flat though.

I just called a few days ago for ATT. Like you I had the 14.95 deal for the same speed that defaulted up to 36.95 after the expiration of the promotion. I called in and the front-line person told me they couldn't do anything, but I then requested to be sent to the cancellation department. They gave me the same speed for 24.95 which is a fair deal. The only thing annoying about ATT is that they are pushing u-verse like crazy. I think you may have not ever reached the cancellation department.

P.S. One time even with the cancellation department, I didn't get a deal so I hung up and called the next day and got the deal I wanted. It's kind of annoying, but for once every 6 months, I'll deal with it.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

denovo wrote:
BrandonBogle wrote:

I just called a few days ago for ATT. Like you I had the 14.95 deal for the same speed that defaulted up to 36.95 after the expiration of the promotion. I called in and the front-line person told me they couldn't do anything, but I then requested to be sent to the cancellation department. They gave me the same speed for 24.95 which is a fair deal. The only thing annoying about ATT is that they are pushing u-verse like crazy. I think you may have not ever reached the cancellation department.

P.S. One time even with the cancellation department, I didn't get a deal so I hung up and called the next day and got the deal I wanted. It's kind of annoying, but for once every 6 months, I'll deal with it.
Trust me, I did get to the retentions department. Pricing my area for 6/0.5 of DSL is actually $47/mo. However, in my area, they are doing FORCED disconnections of DSL Direct. You have to use Uverse or go to TWC. There was not an option to even pay $47/mo for DSL Direct past May 31st. Your experience is what I had previously with mine.

Year 1 - $14.95
Year 2 - $14.95 (new customer promo)
Year 3 - $21.95 (retention promo)
Year 4 - $24.95 (new customer promo)
Year 5 - $36.95 (new customer promo -- advertised on their website)
Year 6 - $41.00 (U-verse new customer promo)

With the force move though, they also waived the "activation fee", the "install fee", and the "modem purchase".
DreamHigher

Post by DreamHigher »

I use MagicJack too. Been using it since 2009 and very happy with the service for the relatively low price I'm paying. I got a 5 year subscription for $80 (or something close) when it was even more inexpensive back then.
runner9

Post by runner9 »

TWC is Time Warner Cable, correct? Why not go with their 2 mbps for $14.99 a month (plus $6 modem rental or buy one for about $60).
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

DreamHigher wrote:I use MagicJack too. Been using it since 2009 and very happy with the service for the relatively low price I'm paying. I got a 5 year subscription for $80 (or something close) when it was even more inexpensive back then.
IIRC, the new five-year rate is around $99, or $20 per year.
soaring

Post by soaring »

I've been using magicJack for 4-5 yrs. Finally decided to drop my land line. Ported my land line ph # to mj for a $20 fee and $10 yearly to keep my # and the fee for mj service of course. Switched my DSL internet several months before the change to cable. So now my phone bill is $10 yrly for the ported line.

BUT if you make lots of long distance calls first be sure those places you call the most will go thru on mj. Some locations around the US do not allow mj access. However if you notify mj when a call is not permitted they will request that area open access to mj callers and mj will notify you within several months of the results. This happened to me. MJ was able to get access within 30 days and my long distance calls to that area began working. That is how it was some years ago anyway.
Desiderata
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

soaring wrote:I've been using magicJack for 4-5 yrs. Finally decided to drop my land line. Ported my land line ph # to mj for a $20 fee and $10 yearly to keep my # and the fee for mj service of course. Switched my DSL internet several months before the change to cable. So now my phone bill is $10 yrly for the ported line.

BUT if you make lots of long distance calls first be sure those places you call the most will go thru on mj. Some locations around the US do not allow mj access. However if you notify mj when a call is not permitted they will request that area open access to mj callers and mj will notify you within several months of the results. This happened to me. MJ was able to get access within 30 days and my long distance calls to that area began working. That is how it was some years ago anyway.
Never hear of, or experienced, that, soaring. I should add that with MJ, you get free calls to Canada and Puerto Rico in addition to the entire US.
Topic Author
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

soaring wrote:I've been using magicJack for 4-5 yrs. Finally decided to drop my land line. Ported my land line ph # to mj for a $20 fee and $10 yearly to keep my # and the fee for mj service of course. Switched my DSL internet several months before the change to cable. So now my phone bill is $10 yrly for the ported line.

Soaring, I'm confused. Does magicJack price differently for DSL connections versus cable? I didn't see that anywhere on their website. Also didn't realize they'd dock me $10/year to keep my current number (after I pay the fee to switch it over). My magicJack line is primarily just a connection to voicemail for my "public" number. I don't anticipate making many calls on it, I'd use my Republic phone for that. (Supposedly) if there are voip issues it will just revert to cellular (or I can force cellular if this isn't a condition their dual architecture anticipates) should I encounter a problem number.

You guys are getting much better deals on internet than I can. My choices are ATT DSL (Uverse not available in my area) ~2.8M down and 0.28M up for $44/mo or Comcast Xfinity for 3/2M for $49/month (after 6 mos of a promo rate for being new customer) or a 6/3 for $60/month after a similar 6 month discount.
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

IlliniDave....just curious....you stated in one post you should drop your internet because it is a distraction and in a second post you would like to drop your TV and Netflix.You must read a LOT. :happy
This thread has proved just how thrifty Bogleheads are......and I mean REALLY thrifty.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
Topic Author
IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

hoops777 wrote:IlliniDave....just curious....you stated in one post you should drop your internet because it is a distraction and in a second post you would like to drop your TV and Netflix.You must read a LOT. :happy
This thread has proved just how thrifty Bogleheads are......and I mean REALLY thrifty.
Ha, some of us are that, no doubt. I used to read a lot, not so much anymore. For me it isn't about being frugal for the sake of frugality itself, but frugality as a means to an end--being able to check out of full time professional employment a decade ahead of schedule. In hindsight I wish I'd been a little more frugal throughout my working life. Some of these ideas regarding TV and internet are prompted as much by how much time I can waste on them as they are by the actual cost issues. Maybe you could call that an attempt to be frugal with my remaining hours left on the planet. :)
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

I switched to Ooma a year ago.It is ok.Sometimes it can be annoying but it gets the job done.I have AT&T for internet and Directv.I grew tired of playing the switch provider game and am happy with Directv and put up with AT&T.I have no problem paying about $100 a month for Directv when you consider what I get out of it.You can easily spend more than that on one dinner at a decent restaurant or if you go to one live game or play or concert.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
anakinskywalker

Post by anakinskywalker »

nordlead wrote:You can completely ditch the phone and get a Google Voice number if you never make outgoing calls over it. Sure, google will have your transcribed calls, but hey, they have every other piece of private information on me anyways.

My setup is a VoIP home phone (Ooma, $5/month in taxes/fees), Verizon FiOS 15/5 ($35/month + taxes), and Ting ($23/month, Sprint MVNO) for two smart phones. Grand total TV/Internet/Phone bill is ~$69/month (for the next 2 years unless taxes go up). I have an antenna (that I need to put back up), and a HTPC so I can watch lots of stuff for free. I mooch off of my parents Netflix account, and my kids watch shows for free on DisneyJr.com.

If you go with a home phone VoIP provider, just buy a decent sized UPS to keep the Internet modem, router, and phone units on. I have a huge one hooked up to mine that I used to use for my desktop while in college. So, my phones will stay on for hours after a power outage if I turn off the server also on the UPS.

Oh, and cable lines work just as well as copper in power failures and disasters. Both will fail if the line to your house is cut. Both will work otherwise (as cable providers have generators), but you need an UPS on your end for the cable.
Comcast is overcharging me @ $69.95 per month for 25/5 Mbps internet. I am planning to switch to Verizon FIOS but calling them got contradictory responses to the question of whether I need to allow them to set up the big-ass FIOS box (ONT box or whatever they call it) inside my apartment in order to be able to use FIOS.

I don't want to sign a 2 year contract and then find out that that ugly box needs to live in my living room or take up valuable space inside a closet.

I live in a NYC highrise already "wired" for FIOS.

Does anybody have experience with whether the huge FIOS box is needed? I am surprised that Verizon came up with such a nasty solution. In this day and age expecting people to allow them to set up a mini-fridge sized box in their apartment just for internet access is ridiculous. I wonder where that huge box came from: an old mainframe factory?

Anakin
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Why not create a new thread with a title of something like "Verizon VIOS box for highrise building" Are people with knowledge of this going to necessarily read "Fed up with ATT"?