water bottles and road trip

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mbres60

water bottles and road trip

Post by mbres60 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:30 am

We are taking a long road trip this summer and need to have water with us. I know that the heat is not good for plastic. How do those of you who have taken extended road trips deal with this? We will be in many areas that are remote so buying on a daily basis is not feasible. If we buy a case of water and keep it in the trunk then the plastic may leach into the water due to the high heat (going to some National Parks out west).

Any suggestions?

livesoft

Re: water bottles and road trip

Post by livesoft » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:35 am

1st suggestion: Don't worry about it.
2nd suggestion: Use containers with a high volume to internal surface area. May I suggest used 3-liter soda bottles?
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

roboian73

Post by roboian73 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:49 am

Freeze the waters and keep them in a big cooler with ice, and take them out to melt a bit when you want them? Should last >30 hours, and you can replenish ice at a hotel?

burgrat

Post by burgrat » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:09 am

I recently purchased a small stainless steel water bottle from REI for use at work. The brand is Hydro Flask and it is awesome. It's really well insulated and it keeps the contents cold all day. They have bigger ones, but they are pricey. Well worth it in my opinion and I'm not throwing plastic bottles away everyday.
You can get them at REI, Amazon, etc.

http://www.rei.com/search.html?ir=q%3Awater+bottle&r=brand%3Ahydro-flask&q=water+bottle

sls239

Post by sls239 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:38 am

I'd have a water jug / cooler (2-5 gallons) and then everyone have a reusable bottle they can take with them.

But you'll still probably need to get water (and ice) at least every 2 days.

We deal with it by drinking tap water. Most campsites except the backwoods ones have water spigots. But I suppose you could buy filtered water by the gallon and put it in there.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:21 pm

For road trips, we take a small cooler in the car. In addition to drinks, we take sandwiches for lunches. It saves time and we don't need to worry about finding a place to eat. For dinner, we stop in cities and have a nice meal at a decent restaurant.
Jeff

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:39 pm

We just get a case or so of water at Wally's or Costco, and drink as needed.

I'm too old to worry about what might leach out of the bottle. You have to die of something!

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:04 pm

Instead of a case of water, why not get either the 2.5 gallon size sold at the supermarket (e.g. something like this http://www.amazon.com/Arrowhead-Water-Spring-2-5-Gallon-Pack/dp/B001HTKZDA but at a much more reasonable cost at the supermarket) or a 3-5 gallon bottle meant for use in an office water dispenser (e.g. something line this http://www.amazon.com/Bluewave-Gallon-Free-Water-Bottle/dp/B000IVQP00)?

Typically, a larger bottle is cheaper than a case of individual sized bottles. With the larger size, there will be a much larger volume compared to the surface area to minimize both leaching and heating. The 3-5 gallon bottles meant for use in an office water dispenser are a different grade of plastic. If you're concerned about weight, go for the 2.5 gallon or 3 gallon sizes. Those sizes weigh between 20 and 25 pounds.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:39 pm

Just to reminisce, back in 1952 our family of five took a vacation from the NYC area to Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Grand Teton, and Yellowstone National Parks in a non-air conditioned 1949 Dodge Coronet. Our source of cold water each day was contained in a burlap bag filled with water that was hung on the front bumper guard (for those of you who know what a bumper guard was) of the car. It is amazing how cool the water would get while traveling at the then speed limit of 50 mph! :sharebeer
Tom D.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:54 pm

In the lab, Nalgene is an often used plastic ware since it is not supposed to leach chemicals into the solutions. You have seen them in lots of places, so check at the website: http://nalgene.com If you want big ones, search for "nalgene carboy"
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:20 pm

If we buy a case of water and keep it in the trunk then the plastic may leach into the water due to the high heat (going to some National Parks out west).

The water was shipped in a hot truck and stored in a warehouse so for short periods of time I don't think that keeping it in your car for a few days any bigger concern than drinking bottle water in general.

If you have space you can get an extra ice chest and even if you don't put ice in it the insulation will keep the stuff inside at a more reasonable temperature in a hot car if you keep it out of direct sunlight.

Even if you fill your own containers you may find that many areasin the west have water that does not taste very good either because it is well water or it is heavily chlorinated.

When we are traveling we typically buy a 12 or 24 pack of water about twice a week at a normal grocery store or less than five bucks since water is almost always on sale. That encourages us to drink a lot of water, and less soda, so that we stay well hydrated.

p14175

Post by p14175 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:21 pm

Buy a 5-gal water cooler (for example: http://www.igloocoolers.com/Coolers/Ind ... Industrial ), pack it with block ice, and drink it as it melts.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:28 pm

I put the 5 gallon size on the seat that way it is in the AC part of the day. But I guess the small bottles would be safer in a wreck.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:38 pm

I use old Gatorade and smaller soft drink bottles up to 24 oz.
I just toss em on the floor in the back seat of the Mustang and the truck.
It's a safety thing in summer. Not worried about keeping it cold...
Attempted new signature...

paulsiu

Post by paulsiu » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:40 pm

Unless the trip is really long, I wouldn't worry about it.

Paul

mbres60

Post by mbres60 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:41 pm

Thanks for all of your suggestions!

bnes

Post by bnes » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:51 pm

After a few days, I find the plastic taste in the the water unbearable.

I try to refill often, though finding a suitable tap is often challenging ( The smartphone app Wetap can help a little http://wetap.org/take-action/wetap-app/ , as can http://www.openstreetmap.org/ ).

Different plastics impart different tastes.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:03 pm

For those that plan to travel all over without easy or cheap access to safe drinking water try the LifeStraw Bottle.
It can turn any tap, well, lake or stream water into safe drinking water on the fly.
It can filter about 264 gallon of drinking water for $35. Consider how expense bottle water is in most places (airport 32oz water is $3.50), this is reasonable.
We use ours for oversea trips.
http://www.buylifestraw.com/buy-lifestraw

WolfpackFan

Post by WolfpackFan » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:11 pm

leave the water at home and just bring beer

runner9

Post by runner9 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:14 pm

burgrat wrote:I recently purchased a small stainless steel water bottle from REI for use at work. The brand is Hydro Flask and it is awesome. It's really well insulated and it keeps the contents cold all day. They have bigger ones, but they are pricey. Well worth it in my opinion and I'm not throwing plastic bottles away everyday.

http://www.rei.com/search.html?ir=q%3Awater+bottle&r=brand%3Ahydro-flask&q=water+bottle

Second Hydro Flask. I have a large one from Amazon. They are more expensive but keep stuff cold up to 24 hours and no plastic

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:45 pm

It does not sound like you will be in places with no water. I'd just get two stainless steel bottles each (perhaps at your first National Park) and fill them with water every morning. They tend to stay cool for a few hours if not left in the sun. I sure would not use plastic - too much waste.

retiredjg

Post by retiredjg » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:46 pm

And there is always Clean Canteen, available at Amazon.

http://www.kleankanteen.com/

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:08 pm

I think the plastic in the 5 gallon size is not as bad for you as the plastic in the small bottles.

pjstack

Post by pjstack » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:10 pm

Gosh! The Pioneers really had it tough! Imagine, no stores along the way in which to buy water. But, they didn't have plastic to worry about, so perhaps it evened out.

I used to use a 5 gallon Igloo cooler (filled with tap water), but I had a van so there was no space problem. I traveled all over the West and tap water didn't seem to pose a problem.

The areas the OP mentioned are truly beautiful. Have fun on your trip! Enjoy!
pjstack

mhc

Post by mhc » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:44 pm

I have been to most of the National Parks in the Mountain West. NP's have water all over the place to refill bottles. We use Nalgene bottles. Only certain plastics are dangerous. There is a number on each plastic item indicating the type of plastic. Make sure you buy safe bottles. Nalgene is safe. If you are really going to be remote, then get at least one 5 gallon container for water. We have never had trouble having enough drinking water. If you are going to be in the back country for multiple days, then you should look into equipment to filter water that you collect from streams or rivers.

We do not buy bottled water. We only use our Nalgene bottles. They save money and are really much better than disposable bottles.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:40 pm

The claims that Nalgene bottles are safe come from the fact that Nalgene has stopped using BPA in their polycarbonate bottles.

The thing that make that kind of laughable is that the PET plastic used in bottled water containers never had BPA or any other plasticizer in it.

Not to mention there is really no reliable evidence that BPA is bad for you. Lots of articles, yes. Repeatable science, not so much.

http://stats.org/stories/2010/bpa_debate_apr7_10.html

I would not worry about it.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:35 am

On my 6 hrs trip to Cape Cod and driving around the Cape I will drink coffee (half decaf). My wife drinks bottled water.

lululu

Post by lululu » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:48 am

jsl11 wrote:For road trips, we take a small cooler in the car. In addition to drinks, we take sandwiches for lunches. It saves time and we don't need to worry about finding a place to eat.

Just talking to a friend the other day about how on long trips on the freeway, there were always Howard Johnsons or the like on the side of the road you could just pull into. Now the interstates might as well be in Mongolia for all the access one has to easy to get to restaurants or gas stations. How did that happen?

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:58 am

lululu wrote:
jsl11 wrote:For road trips, we take a small cooler in the car. In addition to drinks, we take sandwiches for lunches. It saves time and we don't need to worry about finding a place to eat.

Just talking to a friend the other day about how on long trips on the freeway, there were always Howard Johnsons or the like on the side of the road you could just pull into. Now the interstates might as well be in Mongolia for all the access one has to easy to get to restaurants or gas stations. How did that happen?

Where do you live? There are lots of easy off/easy on places to stop if you are in populated areas. But they are mostly fast-food places these days.

carorun

Post by carorun » Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:58 am

I have some Polar bottles for bike rides and long runs. They keep liquids cool really well, and are even better if you stick them in the freezer (empty!) overnight.

They're usually $5-6 at Stores like Marshall's and TJ Maxx, so I would pick up a few there then refill when you can.

http://shop.polarbottle.com/polar-bottl ... /insulated

lululu

Post by lululu » Sun Jun 22, 2014 2:57 pm

cherijoh wrote:
lululu wrote:

Where do you live? There are lots of easy off/easy on places to stop if you are in populated areas. But they are mostly fast-food places these days.

I drive on 95 in New England most of the time.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 7:51 pm

Why in the world would you "buy" bottled water?? Just get a jug or two and fill them when you head out - then refill it when you stop for the night and/or at highway rest stops. How much water will you need or want while on the road?

mike143

Post by mike143 » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:26 pm

runner9 wrote:
burgrat wrote:I recently purchased a small stainless steel water bottle from REI for use at work. The brand is Hydro Flask and it is awesome. It's really well insulated and it keeps the contents cold all day. They have bigger ones, but they are pricey. Well worth it in my opinion and I'm not throwing plastic bottles away everyday.

Second Hydro Flask. I have a large one from Amazon. They are more expensive but keep stuff cold up to 24 hours and no plastic

I use the half gallon Hydro Flask with a flip top lid daily. They are not dishwasher safe but I put mine in the dishwasher with no ill effect.

I have found when buying bottled water at convenience stores full gallons cost the same or less than individual personal sizes.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.