Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kayanco
Posts: 524
Joined: Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:20 am

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by kayanco » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:45 pm

Fantastical for Calendar - Best!
Wunderlist - To do manager - Excellent!
BiteSMS - On screen compose/reply (needs jailbreak)

User avatar
pnwguy
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 11:30 pm
Location: PNW

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by pnwguy » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:13 am

I like the https://www.personalcapital.com/ App. It's a helpful app that once you input your data, it provides a dashboard of all of your accounts such as mortgage, credit cards, savings and even Vangurd.

Image

User avatar
Summit111
Posts: 88
Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:32 pm

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by Summit111 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:24 pm

Waze navigation crowd sourced app...Gets real time driving conditions from other users...

Saved me from traffic headaches many times...

Summit

core4portfolio
Posts: 170
Joined: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:12 pm

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by core4portfolio » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:47 am

Summit111 wrote:Waze navigation crowd sourced app...Gets real time driving conditions from other users...

Saved me from traffic headaches many times...

Summit


+1
Allocation : 80/20 (80% TSM, 20% TBM) | Need to learn fishing sooner

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 6932
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Aug 17, 2015 6:55 am

core4portfolio wrote:
Summit111 wrote:Waze navigation crowd sourced app...Gets real time driving conditions from other users...

Saved me from traffic headaches many times...

Summit


+1

+4 for the family members using it. I heard it now belongs to the Google Alphabet.
3 of us had dedicated GPS devices because we felt they were better than built-in Nav. We removed them because Waze is better than dedicated GPS devices. Hint: it uses lots of power; plug phone into charger.

jerryk68
Posts: 94
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by jerryk68 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:26 am

I use Stocard to store all my reward cards. It's free, very easy to use and eliminates those cards on my key ring.

grndcomm
Posts: 45
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by grndcomm » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Lot of suggestions here and I didn't read them all. However my favorite iPhone app is simply called "Due" It basically is a reminder app with
a lot of bells and whistles. It has helped most every month for those would be surprises I may have forgotten about. It is a paid app but it IMO was well worth the price ($4.99 I think). Apple has some built in reminders but I prefer this one to any Apple has

protagonist
Posts: 4947
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by protagonist » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:44 pm

TomatoTomahto wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:
Summit111 wrote:Waze navigation crowd sourced app...Gets real time driving conditions from other users...

Saved me from traffic headaches many times...

Summit


+1

+4 for the family members using it. I heard it now belongs to the Google Alphabet.
3 of us had dedicated GPS devices because we felt they were better than built-in Nav. We removed them because Waze is better than dedicated GPS devices. Hint: it uses lots of power; plug phone into charger.


Driving to NYC from MA most weekends, I use both simultaneously , my old Garmin and Waze. There are traffic jams on this trip frequently as well as lots of alternate routes. Waze is superior to Garmin at least 80-90% of the time, and free. The info is much closer to real-time. But for safety, don't try to read it and communicate with other drivers while driving....leave it in the seat next to you and just listen to the cues (if you need to watch something you can keep your GPS on your dashboard as I do).

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 6932
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:02 pm

protagonist wrote:But for safety, don't try to read it and communicate with other drivers while driving....leave it in the seat next to you and just listen to the cues (if you need to watch something you can keep your GPS on your dashboard as I do).


I have my phone mounted roughly where my Garmin had been, and use Bluetooth for the cues. When my wife is with me, she enjoys communicating with other users (about police activity, cars on the shoulder, etc.), but otherwise it's on the dashboard.

User avatar
duffman12
Posts: 70
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:03 pm
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by duffman12 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:05 am

ChineseSkill
Like Duolingo but for learning chinese :D :D
"Greed may not be good, but it’s not so bad, either. People think greed is just for money and power. But everyone wants something they don’t have." | ChasingGains.org

Mr Rosco
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:24 am

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by Mr Rosco » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Here is my list of daily essentials with opinions. I have tried bunch but settled on these:

Google Maps - better than Apple maps. Especially when searching things.
Storm - best free weather app
Dual Radar - best high definition simple radar app for only a few bucks.
Speedtest - for checking internet speed
Bleacher Report Team Stream - best sports news app
Genius Scan - did you know you can use your phone as a scanner? It takes a picture and converts to pdf. I actually use it instead of a scanner at work most of the time if there are not a lot of pages. It is awesome.
AnyList - no more paper grocery list. My wife and I both have this app on our phone using the same email address. She can add things while I shop.
MSN News - i tried a bunch of news apps and prefer this one for quick news.
Relax Sounds - dial me up some brown noise at bedtime.

Another cool feature on IOS. My wife and I use the built in tracking function under instant message details. We really rely on it sometimes to see where each other is at. Highly recommend it. It is nice not having to install another app to do this.

snyder66
Posts: 1055
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by snyder66 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:27 am

Shazam
Icasts

User avatar
mbk734
Posts: 460
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:14 pm

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by mbk734 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:15 am

Kindle, Google Docs, Evernote, Mint, Credit Karma

Games to kill time:
Modern Combat 5, Nova 3, New York Zombies 1&2, Zombie Highway 1&2, 8 Ball Pool, Hungry Shark Evolution, House of the Dead Overkill, Chess, Euchre, Hearts
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf

User avatar
htdrag11
Posts: 971
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by htdrag11 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:39 pm

protagonist wrote:
TomatoTomahto wrote:
core4portfolio wrote:
Summit111 wrote:Waze navigation crowd sourced app...Gets real time driving conditions from other users...

Saved me from traffic headaches many times...

Summit


+1

+4 for the family members using it. I heard it now belongs to the Google Alphabet.
3 of us had dedicated GPS devices because we felt they were better than built-in Nav. We removed them because Waze is better than dedicated GPS devices. Hint: it uses lots of power; plug phone into charger.


Driving to NYC from MA most weekends, I use both simultaneously , my old Garmin and Waze. There are traffic jams on this trip frequently as well as lots of alternate routes. Waze is superior to Garmin at least 80-90% of the time, and free. The info is much closer to real-time. But for safety, don't try to read it and communicate with other drivers while driving....leave it in the seat next to you and just listen to the cues (if you need to watch something you can keep your GPS on your dashboard as I do).


+5

Waze users also advise you of police, stalled cars and potholes, etc. It's too bad that my Android phone only has a 4.5" screen while my Garmin is 7". This will be my last Garmin which did not able to keep up with teleology. Updating Garmin maps is a royal pain (slow).

inbox788
Posts: 4183
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by inbox788 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:53 pm

MN-Investor wrote:- Pocket. This app works on my Windows PC, my iPod Touch, and my 7" Google Nexus android tablet. It allows me to save internet articles to be read later. While surfing on my PC, for example, I came across an article from MarketWatch on 30 Reasons to Fall in Love with Index

My favorite financial app is Safari. I can get all the financial quotes and news at Mormingstar.com, Yahoo Finance, Google News, and various other sites. I've done a limited amount of trading on the website with ok results, user interface wise. Security is an issue, but I trust https for now. Plus I think the cell network is safer than public networks (and I've used both on occasion to access financial data), and on par with my home ISPs.

For those that need some apps, my first place to look is on the device itself. Apple tends to steal the best ideas, like flashlight on the control drawer you get by sliding up from the bottom.
If your internet saving article needs are limited to one device or syncing with only other iOS devices, Safari Reading Lists is quite adequate. I use it with the Reading Mode often.
I've downloaded hundreds of apps, but get tired of them and having to continually update them, so few are sticky. I'll checkout some of the financial apps mentioned here, but doubt any are worth keeping.

TD Ameritrade TOS is terrific on PC, but the app leaves much to be desired, but it's one that's been on my iPad for a while, and I keep hoping they will continue to update it. It's one to keep an eye on.

Finally, I've tried a number of financial data aggregators, but it's tedious setting up accounts, and it seems ever few weeks something breaks. I setup 20 accounts on Manilla the month they discontinued service. My Yodlee based aggregator has a large fraction of accounts it can't get data on, and it's like a game of whack a mole that I'm tired of playing. Even linked accounts at the same financial institution have been problematic for me. Wish there was a good answer, but I'm not eager or hopeful.

tbradnc
Posts: 1480
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:30 am

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by tbradnc » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:55 pm

Storm - best weather app I know of.

Maprika - map-sharing app. can be incredibly helpful - or not - depending on where you are.

HiltonHonors - big fan of Hampton Inns. This is a great app for finding, booking, and checking into Hilton properties.

KeyRing - stores all your loyalty cards so you don't have to keep them in your wallet.

Keeper Security - multi-platform password saver/generator/vault

mclvngr
Posts: 40
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 9:57 am

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by mclvngr » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:33 pm

A few I can't live without:

Instapaper - Save articles (without ads and clutter) for later.

1Password - password manager, fingerprint enabled.

Flipboard - news & magazine aggregator.

Casts - podcast manager.

Scannerpro - document scanner.

Reeder - RSS reader, what I read Bogleheads on.

Signal - encrypted texting & calling.

Sonos - music remote for Sonos speakers.

Bank of America - easy check deposits.

Vanguard - of course!

User avatar
pondering
Posts: 858
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:04 pm
Location: 412-977-3526, originally 718-273-2422

Re: Any [iPhone] "Apps" you like?

Post by pondering » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:31 pm

I really, really like Braintoss which allows me to gather all my text, audio and photo captures to my inbox with the minimum of fuss.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

Post Reply