Boston with kids

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
thomasbayarea

Boston with kids

Post by thomasbayarea »

We are going to be in Boston (for a graduation) this week. We have two free days. Any recommendations on kids activities (aged 6 and 2)?

Thank you!
Buysider

Re: Boston with kids

Post by Buysider »

Depending on weather:
Indoor:
Children's Museum
Aquarium

Outdoor:
Duckboats in the Garden
Harbor Boat tours
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

thomasbayarea wrote:We are going to be in Boston (for a graduation) this week. We have two free days. Any recommendations on kids activities (aged 6 and 2)?

Thank you!
1. Must do children's museum. My kid loves it. Tickets are available in local library at discount if you have access to it.
2. Science Museum. Again, my kid loves it. You can spend quite a lot of time here and still not be done with the whole museum.
3. Bus tour/Duck tour.
4. I am unsure if whale watching is open or not. If yes, would recommend that too.

Avoid weekends if possible at 1 and 2. Earlier in the am the better.
moshe

Post by moshe »

Here is my top 10 list in no particular order other than #1! Go Sox!

1) Never too young to tour Fenway Park and/or take in a game.
2) Visit Prudential Skywalk Observatory for great views of the city.
3) Museum of Fine Arts has classes/exhibits for children and an excellent "Art of the Ancient World" collection including many ancient Egyptian artifacts.
4) Walk the freedom trail - Paul Revere, Faneuil Hall, Old North Church, etc.
5) MIT Museum - yeah technology!
6) Harvard Museum of Natural History
7) The Boston Public Library is wonderful to visit, has many child friendly events and the the original building is just amazing.
8) Visit the public gardens and ride the swan boats! (not to be missed!)
9) Symphony Hall is another beautiful building to visit and often has musical events that are child friendly.
10) Rent a canoe and take a "ride" on the Charles River. Love that "dirty" water! (has not been dirty in years!)

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

moshe wrote: 8) Visit the public gardens and ride the swan boats! (not to be missed!)

~Moshe
I somehow missed that in my list, but I too will recommend it!! I think a good day is when you spend several hours in the gardens and visit the swan boat. My kid is totally exhausted by the time its evening -- that tells us he had a good time :D
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

All good suggestions above.

If really warm and it is open the kids can play in the Frog Pond (cement wading pool with a fountain in the middle, has snack bar, and swim diapers, bathrooms). Right next to that is a small play ground. You can get those everywhere but if the kids want a break from adult centered activities it might be a welcome break.

Also if you are down at the Public Gardens you can stop by the brass Make Way for Duckling ducks and get a picture of the two year old on one.

Have the kids treat you to lunch on a nice outside patio on Newbury St or in the North End.

If all else fails the hotel pool is always a big hit. :)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
Topic Author
thomasbayarea

Post by thomasbayarea »

Thanks everyone!
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

Rodc wrote: Have the kids treat you to lunch on a nice outside patio on Newbury St or in the North End.
With that said, visit the North End, get some pastries - from Mike's or Modern Pastry (sidenote - I think Mike's is way overrated) and enjoy them outside either in the Cristopher Columbus or the North End parks.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

The Museum of Science is great for kids. I learned more about science there at age 8-10 than I did in high school. Wonderful place.

And you must do the swan boats, no excuses!

And the Museum of Fine Arts, or the nearby Gardner museum.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
chw

Post by chw »

Christine_NM wrote:The Museum of Science is great for kids. I learned more about science there at age 8-10 than I did in high school. Wonderful place.

And you must do the swan boats, no excuses!

And the Museum of Fine Arts, or the nearby Gardner museum.
At your kids ages, +1 one for the Swan boats, and if you feel like splurging, a nice lunch at the Ritz nearby (my kids loved it at that age).
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

autonomy wrote:
Rodc wrote: Have the kids treat you to lunch on a nice outside patio on Newbury St or in the North End.
With that said, visit the North End, get some pastries - from Mike's or Modern Pastry (sidenote - I think Mike's is way overrated) and enjoy them outside either in the Cristopher Columbus or the North End parks.
Great idea, do both! :)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.