Ideas for dining inexpensively

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tim1999

Re: Ideas for dining inexpensively

Post by tim1999 »

Order a burrito for around $7 at Chipotle and have them put a lot of stuff in it. Each of you then eats half, and it's a lot of food.

One local grocery store chain sells food in their prepared food section by the pound. If you avoid "heavy" items like meatloaf, stuff with a lot of sauce on it, eggrolls, etc. then two people can eat for well under $15, more like $10.

A key to eating cheap is to avoid places that involve waitstaff or delivery tips, and drink tap water.
gloomydog

Post by gloomydog »

While at Costco, you can always walk around to get delicious free samples. That's usually good for a lunch! :>

I was semi serious when I said the above. If you enjoy bentos and such, look up a good Japanese supermarket and buy a couple inexpensive bentos, have a picnic at the park.
island

Post by island »

Robert44 wrote:The subject was "dining inexpensively" going out to eat is not inexpensive unless you want to eat fast food.
I disagree. But I guess it depends on where you live, the options in your area and what your definition of inexpensive is.
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

We will go to a local steak house and order their chops (2) salad and side dish and rolls for 9.99 and split the meal.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

The sweet potato man of course - tastes good and good for you

http://www.yelp.com/biz/sweet-potato-stall-santa-clara
rixer

Post by rixer »

I agree, it's tough to beat that rotisserie chicken at Costco for $5. You might also check with your supermarket as many of them have inexpensive Chinese take out.

Or you could just make a Frito Pie at home. Dump a can of heated chili over a platter of Frito's and add some jalapeno slices, chopped onion and grated cheddar cheese on top of the pile. Heat it in the broiler for a few minutes if you like. Doesn't matter.
It's not exactly health food but it's cheap, fast and tastes good.
gouldnm

Post by gouldnm »

Use restaurant.com coupons. You can download the coupons right before you go out to eat.

We sometimes buy cold turkey, heat it up with some gravy, and serve it over bread. It's a quick, fast meal.

Cook up soup or a stew and freeze it. There are some really good mixes out there that will save you a lot of time.

Hamburger helper.
NORDO

Post by NORDO »

Although I love to cook (and we generally can eat much better - quality and "level" of food + wine, so to speak - at home than in a restaurant) there are certainly times where it's preferable to grab something on the way home.

One of our favorites, if it's available near you, is Papa Murphy's. Good quality for the money - better than Domino's / Papa John's / insert big pizza chain here, in my opinion.

You can easily pick up a large pizza for $8 between coupons and sales, and it's enough for two. If you eat a reasonable amount (a couple slices) you've even got lunch the next day left over!
maroon

Post by maroon »

How about:
IKEA's cafeteria, if there's an IKEA nearby
Mystery shopping - eat for free, sometimes even get paid!
Sriracha

Post by Sriracha »

Another vote for ethnic restaurants, especially since you live in the Bay Area.

So many things there are pricey, but you do have access to loads of ethnic restaurant where you eat handsomely at very reasonable cost - Vietnamese, Thai, Mexican, Salvadoran, Korean, all sorts of regional Chinese, Filipino, Persian, Indian, etc. And once you investigate and start finding new things you like to eat, go out and find local ethnic markets that sell the ingredients you need to make new stuff at home; most of those ethnic markets sell stuff cheap. Virtuous cycle.

Just bring cash, as lots of smaller ethnic places don't take cards.
Don't reach for yield.
Lilly

Post by Lilly »

We like to pick up food at Texas roadhouse. We get a 6oz steak, a large salad, a large baked potato with trimmings and 4-6 fresh buns with honey butter on the side. $9.99 + tax. Eat at home with our beverages.

Lily
Faith20879

Post by Faith20879 »

As we both work 8 to 5 jobs, this is a very real need we face at least once a month.

On the days we don't particularly fancy the Subway $5 deal, there are also:
1. Our grocery Wegmans has the $6 meal deal, you choose 1 entre and 2 sides and heat it up in the microwave located in their dining area. Free Wi-Fi included.
2. Local Tex-Mex features a Jumbo Burritos for $4 that come with generous portions of fresh tomato, lettuce, and salsa. Remember to ask to skip cheese and sour cream as the low fat route.
3. The Chinese grocery near us has a buffet style deli, you chose any four for $5. Rice and soup free. There're two dozens so selections and you see exactly what your getting. No need to guess.
4. A Thai restaurant on route home makes a vermicelli dish that has shrimp, meats, and four different types of veggie stir-fried all in one for $9. It's portion feeds three adults easily with leftover.

I think the key is to watch for low fat (grease) options, carry-outs don't have to be a dirty word.

Faith
Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

JW Nearly Retired wrote:Proud to say wife and I have you out-inexpensived (although it is just lunch). We split a 6-inch Subway sandwich and a single bag of chips. :beer
JW
I can't imagine being satisfied with that unless I were eating more than three meals a day. A three inch sub just isn't very much food.
Clearly_Irrational

Post by Clearly_Irrational »

awval999 wrote:My wife and I usually split an app and an entree. That will save some money.
This works well for us too.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Just an FYI for Fugal Foodies, Target is offering a buy one get one free on any brand frozen pizza thru Sat.
All the Best, | Joe
Louis Winthorpe III

Post by Louis Winthorpe III »

Most serving sizes at restaurants are very big -- way more calories than we should have. Often my wife and I will do carry out, but buying two entrees will be enough for at least 3 or 4 meals. It cuts the cost per meal dramatically and is healthier. If you can get 4 meals out of ~$25 of restaurant food, your cost approaches the cost of a fast food meal.
Last edited by Louis Winthorpe III on Tue May 27, 2014 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 »

We like to pick up food at Texas roadhouse. We get a 6oz steak, a large salad, a large baked potato with trimmings and 4-6 fresh buns with honey butter on the side. $9.99 + tax. Eat at home with our beverages.

Lily
This is a great plac and where we buy the 2 chop dinner for 9.99
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Ron:

Pat and I saved money having breakfast in fine hotels and restaurants when prices were much less than lunch and dinner.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Ron:

Pat and I saved money having breakfast in fine hotels and restaurants when prices were much less than lunch and dinner.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Excellent idea. And you save on wine. :)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
irishbear99

Post by irishbear99 »

Costco also usually has great deals on restaurant gift cards - usually 4 $25-cards for $75. Of course, that's a large initial outlay, but if you usually spend $100/month on eating out, that's a 25% savings.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

jsl11 wrote:Costco is a good place for inexpensive food. The food court has a number of choices. There are also prepared foods in the refrigerated cases. The rotisserie chicken is an additional choice. You can get cooked pizza at the food court, $10 for an extra large (with or without toppings). Alternatively, you can get raw pizzas to take home and bake. The quality of all of the items is better than you might expect.
Jeff
I haven't tried too many of Costco's prepared foods and definitely plan to give that a try.
Cherokee8215 wrote:A key to eating cheap is to avoid places that involve waitstaff or delivery tips, and drink tap water.
Yes, we've also noticed that this tends to make a significant difference.
bluemarlin08 wrote:We will go to a local steak house and order their chops (2) salad and side dish and rolls for 9.99 and split the meal.
That seems like quite a bargain. I don't know of similar places around here that offer such a great deal.
rixer wrote:I agree, it's tough to beat that rotisserie chicken at Costco for $5. You might also check with your supermarket as many of them have inexpensive Chinese take out.

Or you could just make a Frito Pie at home. Dump a can of heated chili over a platter of Frito's and add some jalapeno slices, chopped onion and grated cheddar cheese on top of the pile. Heat it in the broiler for a few minutes if you like. Doesn't matter.
It's not exactly health food but it's cheap, fast and tastes good.
I will have to try the rotisserie chicken at Costco. I don't care for the supermarket Chinese food, though. We go to a terrific Chinese restaurant when we're in the mood and that's spoiled us a bit. The Chili/Fritos trick is a good one. We've done the same on occasion but not recently. Will have to add it back to the repertoire.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

gouldnm wrote:Use restaurant.com coupons. You can download the coupons right before you go out to eat.
I didn't know about this and will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!
maroon wrote:How about:
IKEA's cafeteria, if there's an IKEA nearby
Mystery shopping - eat for free, sometimes even get paid!
Good suggestion but there is no Ikea near us, unfortunately.
Lilly wrote:We like to pick up food at Texas roadhouse. We get a 6oz steak, a large salad, a large baked potato with trimmings and 4-6 fresh buns with honey butter on the side. $9.99 + tax. Eat at home with our beverages.

Lily
Wow! Seems like a great price for so many items. Will have to look for our nearest Texas roadhouse.
Topic Author
Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Ron:

Best wishes.
Taylor
What a great idea, Taylor! Thank you!
irishbear99 wrote:Costco also usually has great deals on restaurant gift cards - usually 4 $25-cards for $75. Of course, that's a large initial outlay, but if you usually spend $100/month on eating out, that's a 25% savings.
This seems like a great idea as well. I don't mind visiting the same restaurant multiple times to use up the entire giftcard value.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

H and I joy inexpensive ethnic restaurants. We can often share a plate and sometimes have enough for an extra one or two portions. Also enjoy the $4.99 Costco rotisserie chicken, which we can stretch for several meals. Sometime H and I each get our own takeout and then take home the leftovers for another meal.

Eating out for breakfast or lunch is much cheaper than dinners out. H and I will often split an entree, unless we really want leftovers.

The Bag area has great, inexpensive ethnic restaurants--Chinese, Thai, Korean, Vietnamese and more. Whole Foods will cook a piece of fish, crab, lobster, or whatever you buy and ask them to prepare. My mom and her friends enjoy the salmon they have Whole Foods prepare.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

joe8d wrote:Just an FYI for Fugal Foodies, Target is offering a buy one get one free on any brand frozen pizza thru Sat.
This is a great deal.
This even applies to the expensive brands like Amy's Organics and Annie's Homemade.
I stocked up the other day! :)
vv19

Post by vv19 »

Groupon deals is what you need!

We've got some great deals on some very good restaurants using Groupon - we typically use them when we don't feel like cooking and want an inexpensive option. I am sure you'll have a lot of choices in the bay area.
Slapshot

Post by Slapshot »

Entertainment book. Also do online surveys for points, then use the points to get free restaurant.com certificates (e.g. $25 off when you spend $37.50). Like others, we buy grocery store rotisserie chickens, then use the leftovers for sandwiches or cut it up and put it in salads. We always have leftovers when we go out to eat and save them until we have enough for another meal. Nothing gets wasted.
This time, like all times, is the best of times if we but know what to do with it.
tony44

Post by tony44 »

1. Get coupons for buy an entree get one free or half price.
2. Entrees only. No apps. No dessert
3. Drink water. From the tap.
4. Tip generously
5. Have some yogurt at home afterwards
midareff

Post by midareff »

Ron Ronnerson wrote:Some days are hectic and it's nice to be able to pick up food rather than have to deal with cooking and dishes at the end of a long day. About once a week, my wife and I (we don’t have kids) pick up a foot-long Subway sandwich and split it. We get it to go and have chips & drinks at home so it costs around $6. Once in a while, we go to a neighborhood pizzeria that has lunch specials. They serve two large slices of pizza and a drink for $7. We split that as well.

We're looking for more ideas on how to eat out inexpensively but are not interested in fast food. We’re open to both take out or eating at the restaurant and we don’t mind drinking tap water.

We’d ideally like to keep the bill under $15 (including tax) if possible to do so. In case it is useful to know our location, we live in the Bay Area. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
There are lots of coupons in the mail and specials on TV. We had a chicken coupon we used last night for a whole chicken and 4 servings of black beans and rice (Cuban style) + rolls. We both had it for dinner last night and lunch today $9.99. Pizza place runs a special on pickup @ Dominoes.. $7.99 three topping pie. At least 2 meals for 2 from that one. We also use coupons for Sushi specials, tavern dinners and such. It's kinda fun.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

If like you Chinese food, you can get 3 dishes, a soup to share with rice and tea included for around 20 bucks at most sit-down places. You will have leftovers if there are just 2 of you so that's another meal. Or you can go to a Chinese "fast food" place and you get fried rice/chow mein with 2 items of your choosing for about 6 bucks. I also like eating at Vietnamese resturants. A big of pho (noodles) for 7 or 8 bucks.