Inside Grilling

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Barefootgirl
Posts: 2226
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Inside Grilling

Post by Barefootgirl » Mon May 26, 2014 2:35 pm

We just returned from a small cookout and realized how much we've missed the flavor of grilled food - we live in a condominium, no gas or charcoal grills allowed here.

Does anyone here have experience with any of the indoor grills? I can't see how they can approximate the flavor.

thoughts?

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

chaz
Posts: 13601
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by chaz » Mon May 26, 2014 2:38 pm

Grill at a park.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Calm Man
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Calm Man » Mon May 26, 2014 2:48 pm

I don't think you ever want to grill as it results in all sorts of carcinogens and atherosclerotic chemicals. It gets magnified indoors.

Carlton
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:46 pm
Location: NYC/Metro Area

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Carlton » Mon May 26, 2014 3:18 pm

The Weber electric grilles seem to have decent reviews.....lots of folks use them on their condo/apartment balconies. A big part of the grilling flavor is in the sear. Steak houses use grilles that approach 800'f. Not going to achieve this on a little electric grill, but it's still better grilling outside than filling up the house with greasy smoke.

http://www.weber.com/grills/series/weber-q-electric

ralph124cf
Posts: 2062
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:41 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by ralph124cf » Mon May 26, 2014 4:08 pm

Many gas cooktops have available built-in grills, provided you have available venting. These work quite well, and lining with aluminum foil minimizes cleaning.

Ralph

The Wizard
Posts: 12456
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Reading, MA

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by The Wizard » Mon May 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Back when I was young and possibly foolish, I used a small charcoal fueled hibachi out on the third floor balcony of the 1 BR apartment we rented.
The apt bldg was brick and the balcony was concrete, so not much fire hazard...
Attempted new signature...

HAMnEGGr
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:20 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by HAMnEGGr » Mon May 26, 2014 4:24 pm

Fire up the broiler. It's a top down grill...

mlipps
Posts: 897
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:35 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by mlipps » Mon May 26, 2014 4:25 pm

The Wizard wrote:Back when I was young and possibly foolish, I used a small charcoal fueled hibachi out on the third floor balcony of the 1 BR apartment we rented.
The apt bldg was brick and the balcony was concrete, so not much fire hazard...
We had family friends die from a charcoal grill fumes when it was left too close to the house overnight. Can't recommend that.

User avatar
tennisplyr
Posts: 1909
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by tennisplyr » Mon May 26, 2014 4:28 pm

I've had a permanent JennAire grill in my kitchen for decades. It gives a great taste and it vents outdoors. My wife doesn't like it that much because the grease drips down on the grates underneath and she finds it annoying to clean. I think it leaves a great flavor.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

tim1999
Posts: 3517
Joined: Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:16 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by tim1999 » Mon May 26, 2014 4:31 pm

I used a George Foreman grill in my kitchen for steak a few times, and it stunk up the whole house for days. I stopped using it.

retiredjg
Posts: 34420
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:56 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by retiredjg » Mon May 26, 2014 4:38 pm

I've used a "grill pan". It is better than nothing, but it is not really grilling. Real grilling indoors would not be safe without a vent, like the JennAire.

lululu
Posts: 1378
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by lululu » Mon May 26, 2014 5:49 pm

tennisplyr wrote:I've had a permanent JennAire grill in my kitchen for decades. It gives a great taste and it vents outdoors. My wife doesn't like it that much because the grease drips down on the grates underneath and she finds it annoying to clean. I think it leaves a great flavor.
Why is DW doing all the cleaning? Why not alternate? Or since you like the grill and she doesn't, you do the cleaning.

investor1
Posts: 1040
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:15 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by investor1 » Mon May 26, 2014 5:58 pm

Use a cast iron skillet that has ridges and cook under the broiler in your oven.

Atilla
Posts: 1263
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:44 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Atilla » Mon May 26, 2014 6:10 pm

The best you can do indoors is broiling in the oven in a cast iron pan. Make sure there's butter or other appropriate grease in the pan and keep the hood fan on high. :sharebeer

Heat the pan first before adding grease/meat for that instant sizzle effect.
The Village Idiot - here for your entertainment.

sscritic
Posts: 21858
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:36 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by sscritic » Mon May 26, 2014 6:11 pm

It's too bad they don't make the Farberware Open Hearth Broiler and Rotisserie anymore. I have been using mine for 40 years. The grill marks are a little thin, but I cook steaks, pork chops, and salmon on it and occasionally will use the rotisserie for a chicken or Cornish game hens.

https://www.google.com/search?q=farberw ... 08&bih=677

Austintatious
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Austintatious » Mon May 26, 2014 6:27 pm

While you may have difficulty finding a suitable method for inside grilling, I'm wondering if cooking with smoke would get you at least part of the way to that cooked outside flavor you're wanting. There are a variety of inside smokers that use wood chips and which can really put some good flavor on fish, meat and even some veggies, imparting something of a camp fire aroma and flavor. It can be done without the smoke becoming a problem, and can actually be quite pleasant . And I'm wondering if an outside smoker on the patio or balcony would be permissible. It's no substitute for a really hot sear on a nice steak, but it can produce some really good eats. Might be a fun alternative for you.

User avatar
black jack
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:13 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by black jack » Mon May 26, 2014 6:39 pm

Two of the elements of grilled food are the smoky flavor and the sear.

For the smoky flavor indoors, use Liquid Smoke or similar; in the show Food Detective, they had a tasting panel taste meat that had been cooked over charcoal and meat that had been cooked indoors but flavored with Liquid Smoke; the panel couldn't reliably tell which was which.

For the sear: some fans of sous vide cooking use a butane torch for a few seconds to sear meat after it has cooked.
We cannot absolutely prove [that they are wrong who say] that we have seen our best days. But so said all who came before us, and with just as much apparent reason. | -T. B. Macaulay (1800-1859)

Opentracker
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:05 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Opentracker » Mon May 26, 2014 7:44 pm

I have one of those Weber grills for indoor grilling and it works pretty good. I like it. It doesn't get as hot as an outdoor gas grill but it cooks the food like your grilling it. I found that it has to be cleaned each time you use it or it'll smoke a bunch the next time you fire it up.

I've often used it outdoors on the step just outside the door or on a patio. They are rather small so it'll only feed 2-3 people in one shot.

Alex Frakt
Founder
Posts: 10853
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:06 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Alex Frakt » Mon May 26, 2014 11:46 pm

I sometimes cook sausages (various kinds of kielbasa actually, have I mentioned my wife is Polish?) by broiling them right on the oven rack. Put an aluminum foil-covered cooking sheet on the bottom rack to catch the drips.

Alex Frakt
Founder
Posts: 10853
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:06 pm
Location: Chicago
Contact:

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Alex Frakt » Mon May 26, 2014 11:55 pm

Austintatious wrote:While you may have difficulty finding a suitable method for inside grilling, I'm wondering if cooking with smoke would get you at least part of the way to that cooked outside flavor you're wanting. There are a variety of inside smokers that use wood chips and which can really put some good flavor on fish, meat and even some veggies.
I've experimented with smoking in the oven using low heat and soaked hardwood chips in a disposable aluminum pan. It pretty much works, but takes more time than I regularly want to deal with. Googling around, here's something like what I've done - http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/893335

This looks like a better approach from Mark Bittman, making an aluminum foil tent to seal the meat in with the smoke - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/09/dining/09mini.html

wilked
Posts: 1355
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:50 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by wilked » Tue May 27, 2014 5:08 am

Electric grills actually work pretty well. There is your solution. That is what I did in a similar situation a few years back

johnubc
Posts: 719
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:54 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by johnubc » Tue May 27, 2014 5:38 am

The only solution to inside grilling is either using the broiler or liquid smoke - http://www.liquidsmokeflavor.com/wp-con ... layers.jpg

Otherwise for your situation, a small hibachi that you can take to a park will have to suffice.

Austintatious
Posts: 802
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Austintatious » Tue May 27, 2014 7:15 am

Alex Frakt wrote:
Austintatious wrote:While you may have difficulty finding a suitable method for inside grilling, I'm wondering if cooking with smoke would get you at least part of the way to that cooked outside flavor you're wanting. There are a variety of inside smokers that use wood chips and which can really put some good flavor on fish, meat and even some veggies.
I've experimented with smoking in the oven using low heat and soaked hardwood chips in a disposable aluminum pan. It pretty much works, but takes more time than I regularly want to deal with. Googling around, here's something like what I've done - http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/893335

This looks like a better approach from Mark Bittman, making an aluminum foil tent to seal the meat in with the smoke - http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/09/dining/09mini.html
Here's an article on indoor smoking that I found on a website for grilling. http://www.the-grilling-spot.com/stove-top-smoker.html I've not tried the dome type of smoker they show here but it looks interesting. I have used the typical metal tray with lid, with success, though I've come to believe that tenting with aluminum foil works just as well and maybe better in sealing in the smoke. Fish smoked this way can be particularly good.

placeholder
Posts: 3958
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by placeholder » Tue May 27, 2014 12:23 pm

mlipps wrote:We had family friends die from a charcoal grill fumes when it was left too close to the house overnight. Can't recommend that.
You shouldn't leave an untended grill going overnight near a structure anyway so the solution would be to douse the coals after use.

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4918
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by stemikger » Tue May 27, 2014 12:44 pm

Barefootgirl wrote:We just returned from a small cookout and realized how much we've missed the flavor of grilled food - we live in a condominium, no gas or charcoal grills allowed here.

Does anyone here have experience with any of the indoor grills? I can't see how they can approximate the flavor.

thoughts?

BFG
I used the George Forman indoor grill for many years. If you just want hotdogs and hamburgers, it was an acceptable and healthy alternative, but if you really want that grilled flavor, there is nothing like an outdoor grill. With the Foreman Grill, you drain away a lot of the juices and fats that make it tasty, so to put a good steak on it is a waste in my opinion, but it like I said for hamburgers, hotdogs and chicken cutlets it's pretty good.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

barnaclebob
Posts: 3082
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by barnaclebob » Tue May 27, 2014 1:02 pm

stemikger wrote:
I used the George Forman indoor grill for many years. If you just want hotdogs and hamburgers, it was an acceptable and healthy alternative, but if you really want that grilled flavor, there is nothing like an outdoor grill. With the Foreman Grill, you drain away a lot of the juices and fats that make it tasty, so to put a good steak on it is a waste in my opinion, but it like I said for hamburgers, hotdogs and chicken cutlets it's pretty good.
Is there actually any data on whether this is healthier? Seems like marketing BS to me. I'd guess cooking in a skillet will drain away as much grease. You would lose just a much juice on a grill at least so there is no reason to not put good meat on a George Foreman grill if the cooking quality is up to par.

lululu
Posts: 1378
Joined: Thu Apr 10, 2014 4:23 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by lululu » Tue May 27, 2014 5:44 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
stemikger wrote:
I used the George Forman indoor grill for many years. If you just want hotdogs and hamburgers, it was an acceptable and healthy alternative, but if you really want that grilled flavor, there is nothing like an outdoor grill. With the Foreman Grill, you drain away a lot of the juices and fats that make it tasty, so to put a good steak on it is a waste in my opinion, but it like I said for hamburgers, hotdogs and chicken cutlets it's pretty good.
Is there actually any data on whether this is healthier? Seems like marketing BS to me. I'd guess cooking in a skillet will drain away as much grease. You would lose just a much juice on a grill at least so there is no reason to not put good meat on a George Foreman grill if the cooking quality is up to par.
I believe I read that burnt stuff is unhealthy. Nutrients are lowered and carcinogens are created. As far as I can tell from not very close observation, the object of grilling seems to partly burn stuff. Perhaps I am in error.

minnesotan
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed May 07, 2014 10:05 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by minnesotan » Wed May 28, 2014 1:17 pm

We've got one of these at our place and no outdoor grill.

http://www.amazon.com/Wolfgang-Puck-Ele ... B001ANXQQ6

I got a really great deal on Woot.com for a slightly older version than the one above.

It's held up really great and has worked really well for normal grilling situations. I'd recommend it. It splatters a bit of grease around and is something a pain to clean (it won't fit in our dishwasher), but otherwise I really like it.

I can't vouch for the griddle side though since we've never used it.

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4918
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by stemikger » Wed May 28, 2014 5:13 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
stemikger wrote:
I used the George Forman indoor grill for many years. If you just want hotdogs and hamburgers, it was an acceptable and healthy alternative, but if you really want that grilled flavor, there is nothing like an outdoor grill. With the Foreman Grill, you drain away a lot of the juices and fats that make it tasty, so to put a good steak on it is a waste in my opinion, but it like I said for hamburgers, hotdogs and chicken cutlets it's pretty good.
Is there actually any data on whether this is healthier? Seems like marketing BS to me. I'd guess cooking in a skillet will drain away as much grease. You would lose just a much juice on a grill at least so there is no reason to not put good meat on a George Foreman grill if the cooking quality is up to par.
I don't know of any data other than their claims. However, the Grill does have a place that capturers the juices (and/or fats) as they like to say and it does really fill up. So if it is fat that you want to drain away I don't see how it can be bad. Also, real grilling does cause a lot of carcinogens especially if you like the meat really charred. That I heard several times over the years, so in that respect, I think it is healthier because no flame is charring the meat. I no longer use it because I finally got a real grill, but I used it for many years and was happy with it. I didn't buy it because I thought it was healthier I bought it because I wanted to grill indoors. So who knows if it is or isn't.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

User avatar
gatorman
Posts: 2493
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:35 am
Location: The Swamp

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by gatorman » Wed May 28, 2014 5:22 pm

I recently saw this:

https://www.buymindenanytimegrill.com/?MID=3346159

which might work for you.

Barefootgirl
Posts: 2226
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:05 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Barefootgirl » Thu May 29, 2014 8:53 am

Thank you for the many suggestions. I'd heard too about searing releasing carcinogens and that somehow marinating the meat first would reduce that, not sure.

It is curious though since electricity is a relatively recent development in human history, so presumably there were humans consuming charred meat for many of their meals for many years - but perhaps their lifespans were short enough that a resulting cancer did not have time to take hold (?)

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

Midwest Dave
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:27 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Midwest Dave » Thu May 29, 2014 9:42 am

I use a heavy cast iron grill pan on a gas stove.
Preheat it well and grill away. There certainly is no charcoal flavor, but it is as good as a gas grill.
Good luck.
He who knows he has enough is rich.

User avatar
stemikger
Posts: 4918
Joined: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:02 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by stemikger » Fri May 30, 2014 8:47 am

gatorman wrote:I recently saw this:

https://www.buymindenanytimegrill.com/?MID=3346159

which might work for you.
This looks good. I think it will probably be as close to a gas grill as you can get.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

User avatar
tennisplyr
Posts: 1909
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Location: Sarasota, FL

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by tennisplyr » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:06 am

lululu wrote:
tennisplyr wrote:I've had a permanent JennAire grill in my kitchen for decades. It gives a great taste and it vents outdoors. My wife doesn't like it that much because the grease drips down on the grates underneath and she finds it annoying to clean. I think it leaves a great flavor.
Why is DW doing all the cleaning? Why not alternate? Or since you like the grill and she doesn't, you do the cleaning.
She never likes the way I clean up lol
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Spirit Rider
Posts: 9191
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Spirit Rider » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:43 am

lululu wrote:I believe I read that burnt stuff is unhealthy. Nutrients are lowered and carcinogens are created. As far as I can tell from not very close observation, the object of grilling seems to partly burn stuff. Perhaps I am in error.
You are not in error. It is whoever you are observing that is.

This is because many Americans are too lazy and impatient with their cooking. Faster when it comes to cooking is not better. Many people use way too high a heat when cooking. Yes, many times you want to sear (not burn) the meat with high temperature, but you should cook the rest of the way at a lower temperature.

This is not hard with multi-burner grills and/or second level racks. Even charcoal grills can use this technique. You just concentrate coals toward the center and taper to nothing on the outside. It will be hotter in the center and less so farther out.

Of course this takes a little longer and we want our food now. I can see the difference in the ways of my friends. There are those where the goal is get the food done and then there are those whose enjoyment comes as much from the preparing/cooking as it is from the eating.

wesef
Posts: 93
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:28 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by wesef » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:52 am

Spirit Rider wrote:This is because many Americans are too lazy and impatient with their cooking.
I think it's more a lack of skill than a cultural tendency.

Cast iron skillet or the broiler, maybe both. Here are a couple of NYT ideas:

http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/ ... red-steak/

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/21/dining/21mini.html

Really, your best bet is to go to a park.

Spirit Rider
Posts: 9191
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Spirit Rider » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:57 am

Barefootgirl wrote:Thank you for the many suggestions. I'd heard too about searing releasing carcinogens and that somehow marinating the meat first would reduce that, not sure.
BFG
There was a study released recently that indicated a four hour beer marinade reduced the polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (the carcinogens) by up 50%. Dark ales were four times better than pilsners.

A medium rare steak, a cold beer, and beer in the steak. It doesn't get any better!

Professor Emeritus
Posts: 2628
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:43 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Professor Emeritus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:00 am

The Wizard wrote:Back when I was young and possibly foolish, I used a small charcoal fueled hibachi out on the third floor balcony of the 1 BR apartment we rented.
The apt bldg was brick and the balcony was concrete, so not much fire hazard...
If only this were true. It isn't. Most "brick" buildings are simply brick veneer over wood frame. But in any case its the contents that burn.

Professor Emeritus
Posts: 2628
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:43 am

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Professor Emeritus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:16 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
This is because many Americans are too lazy and impatient with their cooking. Faster when it comes to cooking is not better. Many people use way too high a heat when cooking. Yes, many times you want to sear (not burn) the meat with high temperature, but you should cook the rest of the way at a lower temperature..
OfGS Just to start with You have to properly distinguish between heat and temperature. A candle and a bonfire have the same temperature but not the same heat. Cooking is about heat transfer.

Are you transferring the heat with conduction, convection or radiation? EG Pancakes are conduction , ovens are convection and Toasters are radiation.

Fish for example have little connective tissue, so should be cooked quickly with Adequate heat and high temperature. Veal is similar.

Slow cooking is for tough meat with lots of connective tissue. Or very thick pieces of meat. or fava beans

The optimum temperature for Maillard reactions depends on what you are cooking.

I've eaten good and bad food all over the world.

Spirit Rider
Posts: 9191
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Spirit Rider » Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:49 pm

Thank you professor,

I stand corrected. I mistakenly used temperature when I meant heat.

Alas, I keep forgetting to invite you to my barbeques, where you could pontificate the issue freely.

User avatar
Lon
Posts: 544
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:25 pm
Location: California & Mapua, New Zealand
Contact:

Re: Inside Grilling

Post by Lon » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:55 pm

I am quite happy with my Halogen Convection Table Top Oven that will do all the functions of a traditional oven and do it better. Clean, cost effective and fast. My machine is a Secura.

Post Reply