Home purchase, possible asbestos.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
charley

Home purchase, possible asbestos.

Post by charley »

We're in the process of buying a home. It's a 1930's colonial with a finished attic. After doing some research on what I observed inside the knee walls, it appears that the attic floor contains vermiculite insulation. Because 70% of vermiculite was sourced from an asbestos containing mine in Libby, MT, the EPA says that vermiculite in an old house should be treated as if it contains asbestos. I am especially concerned because there was vermiculite on top of fiberglass batts, suggesting that the vermiculite was disturbed when the f/g batts were laid (though specific date is unknown). The finished attic space isn't well sealed from the knee-wall crawl space. I'm concerned about the possibility of asbestos exposure.

The home inspection is tomorrow and I am having an asbestos inspection conducted Tuesday. I'm concerned because the asbestos is in a leaky attic close to living space. I could have the space remediated (~$5k based on a discussion with the asbestos inspector), and ask for consideration during closing. This would involve demolition of the attic space while uninhabited, and also allow us to properly air seal, insulate, and finish the attic. The asbestos contractor also indicated that vermiculite could have fallen into wall stud cavities and could cause concern if we plan to disturb those walls.

Should we just walk on this house? It's in a great location, at a good price, but I don't want to expose my family to a hazard. I'm also not sure that leaving the vermiculite is a viable alternative; It's in a drafty attic close to living space. Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I vacillate between two extremes if it is found to be positive for asbestos: Ask for assistance during closing, have it remediated, and enjoy what would otherwise be an ideal house; and walking away, confident that I'll find another house, though perhaps more expensive or less ideally located, without this problem. What do you think?
allocator

Re: Home purchase, possible asbestos.

Post by allocator »

An experienced and reliable remediation contour contractor should be able to remove the asbestos safely. You can have a second, independent contractor/inspector come in to check air samples, etc. However, the more important question (in my view) is whether you'll be able to feel confident, safe and relaxed in the house after the work is completed.
Last edited by allocator on Tue May 27, 2014 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

If the asbestos can be removed (or treated/neutralized) safely and effectively, I don't see why it should be a show-stopper. Get a couple of quotes and negotiate a discount with the seller. Obviously try to have the work done before you move in if possible.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (asbestos).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
charley

Post by charley »

Thanks for the reality check. Rationally, remediation should be sufficient, but I guess I had an initial gut reaction to the asbestos. A few other issues turned up during the inspection and it looks like they will have a larger impact on the deal.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

No chance on the lord's earth I would go near this. Imagine when you go to sell in 15 years. A nice person like you may not be there to buy.
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

Two years ago we bought a house with vermiculite insulation in the attic. We had it removed -- total cost was $3200. This included removal by a licensed abatement company, disposal at a state-approved toxic waste dumpsite, air test of our home by a state environmental consultant after the abatement, as well as documentation certifying that it was all done legally.

It took one day.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Don't let this stop the deal.

Get a cost to abate, and for independent oversight during abatement and inspection after. Factor that into the cost of the house. Then move on. This is not really that big of a deal if properly abated.

5 years from now we are going to see threads like this about lead paint.
25 years from now we may see threads like this about fiberglass.
Ged

Post by Ged »

Asbestos is particularly hazardous for smokers. If anyone in your family is a smoker I would be concerned. Otherwise I'd do this.

http://ehsjournal.org/http:/ehsjournal. ... risk/2013/
BigTom

Post by BigTom »

I'd get it removed . Since it seems to be loose . But in general asbestos isn't an issue if it's not disturbed , like if it was in paint , you wouldn't have an issue unless you wanted to remove that wall or sand it down for whatever reason .
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

Calm Man wrote:No chance on the lord's earth I would go near this. Imagine when you go to sell in 15 years. A nice person like you may not be there to buy.
Total BS.

As I mentioned above, abatement in our house cost $3200. This is really not a big deal and there are plenty of abatement companies that can remove this stuff pretty easily. We decided to have it abated for the following reasons:
1. Piling additional insulation on top of the Vermiculite would just increase the volume of potentially contaminated material.
2. I wanted to do a complete and thorough air-seal of the attic deck using a foam gun. This was impossible with the vermiculite in the way.
3. Panicky alarmists like "Calm Man" spread misinformation, which might impact future home price.

Get it abated.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
BigTom

Post by BigTom »

Calm Man wrote:No chance on the lord's earth I would go near this. Imagine when you go to sell in 15 years. A nice person like you may not be there to buy.
Once it's gone , it's gone and no longer an issue if you sell .
Topic Author
charley

Post by charley »

Total BS.

As I mentioned above, abatement in our house cost $3200. This is really not a big deal and there are plenty of abatement companies that can remove this stuff pretty easily. We decided to have it abated for the following reasons:
1. Piling additional insulation on top of the Vermiculite would just increase the volume of potentially contaminated material.
2. I wanted to do a complete and thorough air-seal of the attic deck using a foam gun. This was impossible with the vermiculite in the way.
3. Panicky alarmists like "Calm Man" spread misinformation, which might impact future home price.

Get it abated.
This is very reasonable. I'm also interested in air-sealing the attic space and that's what prompted my concern about distrubing the vermiculite. The attic space is semi-finished, which may add to the cost of abatement. I'm meeting with an asbestos testing firm today. I am also concerned because we are planning to demolish some walls on the floor below the attic, and it's easy for vermiculite to migrate down into walls.

The home inspection revealed more problems than we were expecting, and I worry that this house could end up being a money pit.
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

BigTom wrote:
Once it's gone , it's gone and no longer an issue if you sell .
To the OP: Save the paperwork/air sampling reports after the remediation. Then you will be able to document the current status to any potential buyers.
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.