VOIP smartphone apps

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Browser

VOIP smartphone apps

Post by Browser » Mon May 19, 2014 4:52 pm

Since my free home phone using Google Voice on my Obi is going away, I'll have to rely more on my android smartphone for voice. I'm looking to save minutes by using a VOIP app so that I can make cheap, or free, WiFi calls at home and elsewhere. I just tried GrooVE and it stunk. The party on the other end could barely hear me. Not only that, but several weird things happened with my phone so I uninstalled it. My understanding is that GrooVE and Talkatone used to rely on Google Voice but they can't do that anymore (I think they now use RingTo, whatever that is), so it may be that these apps - even if they've worked OK in the past - may be a little funky right now. Wondering what VOIP apps folks are using and which ones are decent.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.

weltschmerz

Re: VOIP smartphone apps

Post by weltschmerz » Mon May 19, 2014 6:26 pm

I am usually not a fan of procrastinating, but in this case, it has worked out well. My Obi + Google Voice connection seem to still be working, and who knows when it will stop? Could be days, or it could be years. I suggest looking for another VOIP provider at some later date, once the Obi/GV solution has truly stopped.

renjuzone

Post by renjuzone » Mon May 19, 2014 11:38 pm

Couple things:
As the poster above listed, Google + Obi still works, (for now)

I have also setup localphone. Its not free, but 0.5c/min for US calls is about the lowest out there.

Hope this helps.

arcane23

Post by arcane23 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:53 pm

Use MobileVoIP app. Sign up with a sip provider from the list that offers free US calls. Most do for US and Canada, just pay them once to charge up to $10 (your balance won't go down). VoIP quality is good. I use it to call Canada and UK (rates are dirt cheap).

smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 » Tue May 20, 2014 6:46 am

I have Callcentric on my OBi and the call quality has been pretty good from home.

On my GS3 I use Zoiper (free app) to make VOIP calls using my Callcentric account. Zoiper will work with any SIP provider. Callcentric is not free but we mainly use it for calls from overseas and the SIP provider quality is good. I will caution that VOIP calls are only as good as the quality of service of the broadband connection. At home it works great, but in hotels or other public locations often QoS is terrible (lots of jitter and lag, limited bandwidth) making call quality iffy. This is not the fault of Zoiper or Callcentric when the broadband is the weakest link.
Last edited by smackboy1 on Tue May 20, 2014 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

rgarling

Post by rgarling » Tue May 20, 2014 7:27 am

I have an OBI110 and have had Google Voice set up on SP1.

Just prior to Google's plug-pulling threat, I opened an account with voip.ms and set them up on SP2. Their service is very good and also inexpensive. A phone number costs a dollar per month and calling is about 1 cent per minute in the US and very competitive elsewhere. These prices do not include emergency 911 or voicemail service. As far as procedure, you just set up an account, fund it (via paypal or credit card), then purchase the services you want.

esetter

Post by esetter » Tue May 20, 2014 8:45 am

I use Acrobits on my iPhone (don't know if they have an Android app) to access my Callcentric account. Works well.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue May 20, 2014 10:08 am

smackboy1 wrote:I have Callcentric on my OBi and the call quality has been pretty good from home.

On my GS3 I use Zoiper (free app) to make VOIP calls using my Callcentric account. Zoiper will work with any SIP provider. Callcentric is not free but we mainly use it for calls from overseas and the SIP provider quality is good. I will caution that VOIP calls are only as good as the quality of service of the broadband connection. At home it works great, but in hotels or other public locations often QoS is terrible (lots of jitter and lag, limited bandwidth) making call quality iffy. This is not the fault of Zoiper or Callcentric when the broadband is the weakest link.
Would Zoiper work with PhonePower too? PhonePower offers an android app but the reviews I read were terrible. How difficult is it to configure Zoiper to use a particular provider? Are there any charges from Zoiper and how are they paid?

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Tue May 20, 2014 10:44 am

esetter wrote:I use Acrobits on my iPhone (don't know if they have an Android app) to access my Callcentric account. Works well.
There is an Android version of Acrobits. I have a Nexus 5 and it offers a way to manually configure a SIP account without any additional VOIP app, I've tried it and it works very well.

Browser

Post by Browser » Tue May 20, 2014 10:53 am

Don_Qua wrote:
esetter wrote:I use Acrobits on my iPhone (don't know if they have an Android app) to access my Callcentric account. Works well.
There is an Android version of Acrobits. I have a Nexus 5 and it offers a way to manually configure a SIP account without any additional VOIP app, I've tried it and it works very well.
This probably exceeds my pay grade. Can you walk me through the basics about how I would set this up on my smartphone? Do I need to be signed up with a VOIP provider to work through? Basically, I'd be happy signing up with PhonePower for my Obi, but I want to be able to make WiFi calls through PhonePower with my smartphone when I'm not at home. Their app seems to be junk, but if I can use another app that might work.

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Tue May 20, 2014 11:44 am

Browser wrote:This probably exceeds my pay grade. Can you walk me through the basics about how I would set this up on my smartphone? Do I need to be signed up with a VOIP provider to work through? Basically, I'd be happy signing up with PhonePower for my Obi, but I want to be able to make WiFi calls through PhonePower with my smartphone when I'm not at home. Their app seems to be junk, but if I can use another app that might work.
You'll need a SIP account for this. If your SIP provider gives you Acrobits it's easy, they'll give you a QR code to scan off of your PC screen which will tell your phone everything it needs to know without any techie stuff from you.

Without Acrobits: This sort of scrapes the ceiling of my pay grade. Lots of trial and error and I'm not a Phonepower customer. My Nexus 5 is on Kitkat 4.4.2, my previous phone on an earlier Android version had no such built in options. On my Nexus 5 I open up the phone app, press the 3 dots at the bottom right, click on settings, click call settings and then go to the bottom and then click on Accounts. I had never seen that option before on my Samsung and I've looked. There should be an option that says Add SIP Account. Inside there are lots of fields to fill in with cryptic names. My SIP provider Vestalink has a screen that gave me most of them so it was just trial and error until I could get a call to go through. To test I put the phone into airplane mode, engaged WiFi and placed a call.

ourbrooks

Post by ourbrooks » Tue May 20, 2014 12:05 pm

For $3 a month, Skype will let you dial out to U.S./Canada phones. You can use the same account from your phone/tablet app or your desktop computer. You can also do video calls.