Ads in Yahoo email inbox that aren't email

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pkcrafter

Ads in Yahoo email inbox that aren't email

Post by pkcrafter »

Att/Yahoo has recently updated email and now I'm finding adds in the email inbox. They look like a new email, but there are no email options such as delete, spam, etc. On the annoyance scale, these are a 9. I'm going to drop Yahoo email, and I'd also like to drop Att, but I'm on a contract.

Anyway to get out of these contracts, or any idea how to stop these annoying ads?

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
chaz

Re: Ads in Yahoo email inbox that aren't email

Post by chaz »

I ignore them. They pay for the cost of operation.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

i notice it on their app not on the webmail.

and yeah it tricked me the first time.
LordB

Post by LordB »

Well for email you pretty much just have to bite the bullet and start telling people the new email. Send out an email telling folks that it is changing and with every reply you make doing it from the new email with a warning at the top that your email has changed.

Log into as many websites as you can and switch the new email (and skip notifying any that you find annoying and have need to continue to receive). Mainly the bank ones you want to make sure to switch.

And then you will probably need to have a month or 2 overlap where you login into both, but eventually you log into the old one less and less until in around a year you can probably completely forget about it though I would advise still checking it for a year or 2 after that just to make sure no long lost friends try to contact you there.

For who to go with gmail is probably your best bet. While they do advertise it is generally not annoying and unless you want to pay or try out a much smaller company they are your best bet for good quality email.

I should also note gmail's spam filter is far more accurate than yahoo's in my experience I see less spam period and something making it to my inbox is very very rare likewise for real mail showing up in spam.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

I have a yahoo email account and I haven't noticed any ads that look like emails. Where are they?
LordB

Post by LordB »

I forgot to mention... Take a look at adblock plus.

https://adblockplus.org/

It blocks all ads and would likely make yahoo tolerable again. That said switching to gmail or similar is still not a bad idea because of the better spam protection etc.
tivattom

Post by tivattom »

I had the same problem with yahoo mail, but installing the browser add-in called AdBlockPlus successfully blocks those, too.
Atgard

Post by Atgard »

Yeah, the fake unread email at the top of the list is a particularly annoying type of ad. But they fail to realize they just annoy their users, and we still learn to ignore the ads.

They want you to pay for Yahoo Plus or something to make the ads go away.

But, as others have mentioned, there are many email options out there.
rj49

Post by rj49 »

It's part of Yahoo's latest attempt to survive, through ads everywhere. Their finance section used to be informative and interesting, but now it's just a lot of fake news headlines linking to ads and external sites. I only use yahoo mail now for sites that I suspect will send me junk email, so my main gmail address doesn't get a ton, as yahoo does. If you don't want the yahoo spam itself, you can get yahoo mail through a regular email app, such as the Mail app on Macs and ipads, where they can't show their attempt at ads. Basically, though, yahoo and AOL are relics from the early days of the Web trying desperately to stay afloat through ever-increasing advertising and a revolving door of CEOs and futile attempts to stay relevant.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

You get to choose what you focus on.

The top line of my yahoo mail has a $ sign on the left (that's a hint). On the right it says "Sponsored" (that's another hint). It is also a different color (need I repeat myself?). It clearly stands out, but what you make of it is up to you. For me, it is so obvious that it is easy to ignore. Now if it were in the middle and not on the top and was the same color and didn't have the $ and the sponsored, I might be fooled.

Recently, I discovered that people seeing my posts were focusing on my signature rather than on what I wrote. It seems a little bizarre to me, but you are free to focus on the trivial and meaningless if you choose.
cfs

Post by cfs »

Situation Normal

I have not noticed anything unusual on my very old yahoo account (old account created just when yahoo launched their email service in 1997).

Thank you
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
Topic Author
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

KyleAAA wrote:I have a yahoo email account and I haven't noticed any ads that look like emails. Where are they?
These ads are in the incoming email list and look just like any other new email item except they don't have any options to move/delete, send somewhere else, etc. We are using ATT and they provide ATT/Yahoo email service. Just a few days ago, a new "improved" version was installed and that's when the ads appeared. My wife's computer is on the same service and she has not received these ads. Lucky me.

Note: I am using Firefox and Ad Block. :confused

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

i use firefox and adblock plus and still get these.
luckily they are on the top of the emails so easy to ignore.
Focus on what you can control
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

It is indeed true. What is amazing is that I do not see it on my home computer but I do see these ads at the top of the other ads at a company at which I consult. And on rare occasions at home. I simply ignore these and have learned to. They are in bolder type so no problem confusing them with anything.
Topic Author
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

I found some information on this Yahoo scheme. From the link you can find out what they know about you and what they are targeting. I have 27 companies tracking what I'm doing. There is an individual opt out option and an opt out-all option. I tried the all option and I got a message that it would not work because I have 3rd party cookies turned off. So, you have to have to allow 3rd party cookies to opt out? That doesn't sound right. A set cookies to allow and tried again. This time I got about 8 companies canceled, but nothing happened with the others.

I don't like this sort of intrusive advertising, and it's all the more annoying because I pay ATT for the service and they've linked with Yahoo, so I'm not using a free service if anyone believes that justifies tracking.

http://www.aboutads.info/consumers

Paul
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

pkcrafter wrote:I found some information on this Yahoo scheme. From the link you can find out what they know about you and what they are targeting. I have 27 companies tracking what I'm doing. There is an individual opt out option and an opt out-all option. I tried the all option and I got a message that it would not work because I have 3rd party cookies turned off. So, you have to have to allow 3rd party cookies to opt out? That doesn't sound right. A set cookies to allow and tried again. This time I got about 8 companies canceled, but nothing happened with the others.

I don't like this sort of intrusive advertising, and it's all the more annoying because I pay ATT for the service and they've linked with Yahoo, so I'm not using a free service if anyone believes that justifies tracking.

(Most of) The trackers aren't set by Yahoo or AT&T, rather, they are set by almost every website you visit on the web these days. It almost certainly doesn't have anything to do with paying AT&T for a service. Were Yahoo to attempt to track you using 27 different technologies, their pages would take far too long to load.

Enabling 3rd party cookies to opt out sounds correct because how else would they know for certain who you are when you show up on a site using their product? Unfortunately, the Do Not Track browser option isn't mature enough yet to be reliable everywhere (as well as some question about whether or not it should be the default option), and some companies refuse to honor it for that reason.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

LordB wrote:And then you will probably need to have a month or 2 overlap where you login into both, but eventually you log into the old one less and less until in around a year you can probably completely forget about it though I would advise still checking it for a year or 2 after that just to make sure no long lost friends try to contact you there.
You can set Yahoo mail to forward mail. This can be useful during the transition. If you don't want to trust Yahoo with the new email address you can do a double forward, e.g. forward EpsilonDelta @yahoo.com to ThrowAwayAccount19792563598348934564234907512 @gmail.com and forward ThrowAwayAccount19792563598348934564234907512 @gmail.com to EpsilonDelta @gmail.com.

Eventually you can disable the forward, or just leave it be until Yahoo decommissions its email service or decides you've abandoned your account.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

pkcrafter wrote:I found some information on this Yahoo scheme. From the link you can find out what they know about you and what they are targeting. I have 27 companies tracking what I'm doing. There is an individual opt out option and an opt out-all option. I tried the all option and I got a message that it would not work because I have 3rd party cookies turned off. So, you have to have to allow 3rd party cookies to opt out? That doesn't sound right. A set cookies to allow and tried again. This time I got about 8 companies canceled, but nothing happened with the others.

Paul
I downloaded ghostery and was stunned to see how many companies were tracking me at various sites. I have just about blocked all of them (in ghostery, if you block it at one site, it is blocked at all sites). It took me about 45 minutes one day to go through my usual sites in Firefox, Chrome, Pale Moon, etc. but I am now "track free" (or mostly so).
LordB

Post by LordB »

Pacific wrote:

Paul
I downloaded ghostery and was stunned to see how many companies were tracking me at various sites. I have just about blocked all of them (in ghostery, if you block it at one site, it is blocked at all sites). It took me about 45 minutes one day to go through my usual sites in Firefox, Chrome, Pale Moon, etc. but I am now "track free" (or mostly so).
You can click on the ghost in the bar -> gear on the top -> options -> Blocking options and block all the sites without needing to manually do them all. These instructions are for firefox, but they exist for the other browsers as well though getting to them might be slightly different.
denovo

Post by denovo »

LordB wrote:I forgot to mention... Take a look at adblock plus.

https://adblockplus.org/

It blocks all ads and would likely make yahoo tolerable again. That said switching to gmail or similar is still not a bad idea because of the better spam protection etc.
I can confirm abp gets rid of this.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

LordB wrote: You can click on the ghost in the bar -> gear on the top -> options -> Blocking options and block all the sites without needing to manually do them all. These instructions are for firefox, but they exist for the other browsers as well though getting to them might be slightly different.
I never saw that. I was developing carpal syndrome from clicking so much. THANKS!!
Topic Author
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

No ads in last two days. :thumbsup :sharebeer
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

anyone currently getting a big pop up from Yahoo stating you're running an adblocker and they're forcing you to have ads or pay a fee to use their email?

I wouldn't mind the ads if they were STATIC and if they weren't secretly disguised to look like an email in your inbox where you click it by mistake, or if they didn't take up 1/2 the right side of the screen playing videos all the time.

I've had a main account there for 20+ years so just 'deleting' it isn't an option (please don't suggest it).

I know nothing is free but Yahoo always pulls these stunts w/ their site and each time it complicates or makes things difficult.

This popup rectangle thing is kinda random so far. Dunno.

I read email on my phone (many do) but there are often more features using a desktop and if you're working on a laptop its what you have open in another tab.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I pay the $20/year for ad free. It might be $30/year now come to think of it.

Minor in the grand scheme. They want you to see the ads, if you don't (blocker) you likely can't use the service.

I've considered retiring our yahoo.com address.

Anything financial or important is on a safer/more secure email (protonmail).

We use yahoo for our everyday communications. Old skool.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

F150HD wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:40 am anyone currently getting a big pop up from Yahoo stating you're running an adblocker and they're forcing you to have ads or pay a fee to use their email?

I wouldn't mind the ads if they were STATIC and if they weren't secretly disguised to look like an email in your inbox where you click it by mistake, or if they didn't take up 1/2 the right side of the screen playing videos all the time.

I've had a main account there for 20+ years so just 'deleting' it isn't an option (please don't suggest it).

I know nothing is free but Yahoo always pulls these stunts w/ their site and each time it complicates or makes things difficult.

This popup rectangle thing is kinda random so far. Dunno.

I read email on my phone (many do) but there are often more features using a desktop and if you're working on a laptop its what you have open in another tab.
I dunno about the popup re ad blocker blocker, but it wouldn’t surprise me. I rarely use the yahoo Web client these days to access my legacy account. Mostly I use my iPad or Android phone. If you have a need for accessing it on a laptop, perhaps consider a desktop app like Thunderbird.

And now I will comment on something you didn’t want to hear: I, too, have an account with Yahoo that is one of my oldest email accounts. I am slowly working through the decommissioning process. None of my personal (real) email is still going there. It’s mostly spam and a few mailing list subscriptions. I don’t know how much money Yahoo (OATH/Verizon) makes from maintaining the mail system, but the recent shutdown of Yahoo Groups illustrates that they are not reluctant to shut down services many people relied on. So while you may want to stay on Yahoo Mail forever, I would suggest that that may not be your decision. My primary email accounts are all using my own domains.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

LordB wrote: Fri May 16, 2014 2:09 pm Well for email you pretty much just have to bite the bullet and start telling people the new email. Send out an email telling folks that it is changing and with every reply you make doing it from the new email with a warning at the top that your email has changed.

Log into as many websites as you can and switch the new email (and skip notifying any that you find annoying and have need to continue to receive). Mainly the bank ones you want to make sure to switch.

And then you will probably need to have a month or 2 overlap where you login into both, but eventually you log into the old one less and less until in around a year you can probably completely forget about it though I would advise still checking it for a year or 2 after that just to make sure no long lost friends try to contact you there.

For who to go with gmail is probably your best bet. While they do advertise it is generally not annoying and unless you want to pay or try out a much smaller company they are your best bet for good quality email.

I should also note gmail's spam filter is far more accurate than yahoo's in my experience I see less spam period and something making it to my inbox is very very rare likewise for real mail showing up in spam.
Way more painful than dealing with ads.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

pretty much just have to bite the bullet and start telling people the new email.
have toyed w/ it but ultimately any domain one moves to the exact same issue may arise so.....not sure grass is always greener.
No issue viewing on phone (use it 70% of the time) but its not always practical to send lengthy replies/images/urls using a phone for email.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Just to confirm, yes, I am getting ad blocker alerts, too, now.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

bloom2708 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:43 am I pay the $20/year for ad free. It might be $30/year now come to think of it.

Minor in the grand scheme. They want you to see the ads, if you don't (blocker) you likely can't use the service.

I've considered retiring our yahoo.com address.

Anything financial or important is on a safer/more secure email (protonmail).

We use yahoo for our everyday communications. Old skool.
Looks like it's $42/year now for ad-free mail on Yahoo.

I guess they've got us unless we want to go through the trouble of changing our email address. It's not like a phone number where you can move it to another carrier.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

TravelGeek wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:02 pm Just to confirm, yes, I am getting ad blocker alerts, too, now.

seemed to work ok when I allowed ads, but the far right column, they always load it with video type ads (irritating) and the ads that look like an email is uncool... like they're trying to trick you into clicking on it.

am ok w/ most static ads, I know nothing is free, but Yahoo always pulls things like this.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

Yeah, blocking access if you use an ad blocker seems to be an emerging trend. It's very reasonable from their perspective, of course.
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

I don't see those messages about using an ad blocker or paying for Yahoo! email and I don't see any ads. The crap on the far right side was blocked by my prior ad blocker but the one I use now somehow they got past it. I searched online and found "Webmail Ad Blocker". I got it, it is free, and it immediately stopped those ads. It works using FF and Chrome.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... jakdggkkjp
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

F150HD wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:46 pm and the ads that look like an email is uncool... like they're trying to trick you into clicking on it.
Right. A company with a business model of tricking its users/customers... it’s basically spam added into your inbox view. It’s sad what has become of Yahoo. Moved another couple of old shopping accounts away from Yahoo today as a result of this thread. I think by June there will be just junk coming in to that account.
zaplunken wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:59 pm I don't see those messages about using an ad blocker or paying for Yahoo! email and I don't see any ads. The crap on the far right side was blocked by my prior ad blocker but the one I use now somehow they got past it. I searched online and found "Webmail Ad Blocker". I got it, it is free, and it immediately stopped those ads. It works using FF and Chrome.
Give it some time; it is a game of cat and mouse between ad blockers and websites. A week or so ago I wasn’t seeing the ads or alerts either.
jjface

Post by jjface »

zaplunken wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:59 pm I don't see those messages about using an ad blocker or paying for Yahoo! email and I don't see any ads. The crap on the far right side was blocked by my prior ad blocker but the one I use now somehow they got past it. I searched online and found "Webmail Ad Blocker". I got it, it is free, and it immediately stopped those ads. It works using FF and Chrome.
That is what I use but yahoo have gotten round it today with the annoying pop up someone else posted.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

let us know in a week or two if it still works. they will find you :D
zaplunken

Post by zaplunken »

Well I might just abandon the Yahoo! email if they defeat the 2 things I am using now. It's an original email from long long ago and I really don't use it for anything other than as a throw away email. The problem is sites that require your email as your userid but hopefully I can change the address those sites send an email to cuz it would be that throw away address. Both the adblocker and the webmail ad blocker have been working for a long time and I'm tired of having to find something to hide annoying crap so next time may well be the straw that breaks the camel's back.
BrownEyedGirl_27

Post by BrownEyedGirl_27 »

If you have a Windows 10 PC you can try Mail for Windows 10. That’s what I use, no ads, ever. It’s free. I use Mail for all of my email accounts including Gmail.

If you have a Mac, try Mailspring. Nice interface, simple and free app.
"Your mind has a mind of its own. At the very moment when you are most convinced of your own rationality, you may be feeling rather than thinking your way toward a decision.” | Jason Zweig
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

interesting that the ads used to just be at the TOP of the inbox (for me anyway, it was semi-tolerable) but today they are now embedded in the list of actual emails so you could accidentally click on one when reading emails and scrolling.

Thats BS to me. Example below