Anybody solve this problem? [washer hose issue]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lucky3

Anybody solve this problem? [washer hose issue]

Post by lucky3 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:37 pm

Sounds a bit silly, but here's a little problem I'm trying to solve.....

....my washing machine in the basement of my house has a hose that empties into a slop sink that's next to it. The problem is that often the hose falls out of the sink and the exiting water from my machine floods the basement floor.

I've recently clamped the hose down to the sink in an effort to prevent this from happening again. It usually works well, but eventually it loosens up again.....is there a long term fix for this problem? I know that I'm inviting some funny answers here, but it really is a problem.

Lucky3

mhc

Re: Anybody solve this problem?

Post by mhc » Fri May 09, 2014 12:42 pm

You could plumb the drain hose into the drain pipe for the sink.

My washer has a drain pipe that the hose goes into. It won't come out. You could fork off the drain pipe for the sink and put in a long enough vertical pipe that the host could sit in.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Bang some big nails into the wall. Get a longer hose. Run the hose up to the ceiling and then down......held to those nails with long zip ties.

That pretty much describes how I have mine. Never has moved.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Fri May 09, 2014 1:33 pm

Ours is wire-tied to the sink faucet handle with a little mesh bag over the end to catch lint. I've had to replace the hose a couple of times because it sprang a leak. I am using a rubber one now, rather than a plastic one.

pjstack

Re: Anybody solve this problem? [washer hose issue]

Post by pjstack » Fri May 09, 2014 7:02 pm

Duct tape!! (The all-purpose cure all for everything!!
pjstack

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Fri May 09, 2014 7:19 pm

Do you have one of these clips, which holds in a loop that stays nicely over the edge of the sink? If the hose is long enough and the clips in the right position it will stay in place. Available in fine hardware stores everywhere.

Opentracker

Post by Opentracker » Fri May 09, 2014 7:21 pm

Put a heavy weight on the end of the hose. That'll keep it in the sink.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri May 09, 2014 7:21 pm

Use a laundry service and never use your washer again.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Fri May 09, 2014 7:21 pm

pjstack wrote:Duct tape!! (The all-purpose cure all for everything!!
No, duct tape only solves half the problems: things that move but shouldn't.
The other half is things that should move but don't, for that you need WD40.

Kosmo

Post by Kosmo » Fri May 09, 2014 7:34 pm

I drilled holes through the sink and zip tied the hose to the sink. Only need maybe 1/4" holes. 2 upper and 2 lower holes. Make sure the holes are positioned so you don't get water splashing through, but also there aren't any kinks or droops in the hose.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Fri May 09, 2014 10:48 pm

lucky3 wrote:Sounds a bit silly, but here's a little problem I'm trying to solve.....

....my washing machine in the basement of my house has a hose that empties into a slop sink that's next to it. The problem is that often the hose falls out of the sink and the exiting water from my machine floods the basement floor.

I've recently clamped the hose down to the sink in an effort to prevent this from happening again. It usually works well, but eventually it loosens up again.....is there a long term fix for this problem? I know that I'm inviting some funny answers here, but it really is a problem.

Lucky3
Zip tie the hose to a convenient place, like the sink faucet or part of the plumbing.

If you do plumb it into the drain, be sure there is an air gap. There should be no possibility to siphon dirty water from the drain back into the appliance.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Fri May 09, 2014 11:15 pm

Kosmo wrote:I drilled holes through the sink and zip tied the hose to the sink. Only need maybe 1/4" holes. 2 upper and 2 lower holes. Make sure the holes are positioned so you don't get water splashing through, but also there aren't any kinks or droops in the hose.
I drilled holes and used picture hanger wire to tie the hose to the sink. Same principle as the zip ties, but with the wire the holes aren't much larger than a pinhead. Wrap the wire around the hose a couple times before tying it off to make sure it doesn't come loose.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

lululu

Post by lululu » Sat May 10, 2014 2:36 am

In addition to the ways people have suggested to secure the hose, get in the habit of checking the tie down. I check the lint trap on my dryer every time I load the dryer.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sun May 11, 2014 9:19 am

Epsilon Delta wrote:Do you have one of these clips, which holds in a loop that stays nicely over the edge of the sink? If the hose is long enough and the clips in the right position it will stay in place. Available in fine hardware stores everywhere.

Never had this problem, so had to go look at it too see how the guys who delivered the washing machine had set it up several years ago. Have something like that guide and then the hose is also zip tied to nearby water hoses that go to the machine.

Old one had a rigid hose end, and also was never a problem. That hose end was something like this: Image
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

rhoptry

Post by rhoptry » Sun May 11, 2014 9:36 am

+1 on drilling a hole in the edge of the sink and zip tying it.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Sun May 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Opentracker wrote:Put a heavy weight on the end of the hose. That'll keep it in the sink.
Like a brick. Zip tie it to a brick.