Whole House Air Cleaner vs. Room Air Cleaner

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
davebo

Whole House Air Cleaner vs. Room Air Cleaner

Post by davebo » Thu May 08, 2014 2:24 pm

My son has allergies and recently had his first asthsma type symptoms. I've been considering doing a whole house air cleaner and the one I'm looking at is the Aprilaire 5000. Anyone have any thoughts on the effectiveness of these? Are these much more effective than room units?

FelixTheCat

Re: Whole House Air Cleaner vs. Room Air Cleaner

Post by FelixTheCat » Thu May 08, 2014 2:33 pm

My daughter has allergies. I got an air cleaner that attached to the furnace and it cleans the air for the entire house. It helps ... until the kid goes to school, friend's house, etc.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

davebo

Post by davebo » Thu May 08, 2014 2:37 pm

imgritz wrote:My daughter has allergies. I got an air cleaner that attached to the furnace and it cleans the air for the entire house. It helps ... until the kid goes to school, friend's house, etc.
Do you think they are worth it? Your daughter is more comfortable in the house?

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Thu May 08, 2014 3:37 pm

If the air cleaner helps a little, then it was worth the money. Start off with a room version. I see them at Lowe's for $99. http://www.lowes.com/pd_302651-89154-IA ... facetInfo=
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Thu May 08, 2014 3:50 pm

I just ordered two for my dad, who has COPD. I subscribed to Consumer Reports & looked at their recommendations. They haven't reviewed every model, but it's a good starting point. I think the whole house is generally a better option, for obvious reasons, but the room option can also help if you run it in your son's bedroom, for example. The whole house option wasn't in my budget, so I got two of this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C1 ... UTF8&psc=1 which was a very budget friendly option that was rated as a Consumer Reports recommended pick. I figure if it helps, it might be worth springing for a nicer one, but $120 is a good entry level to find out.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:44 pm

I've got sever allergies and asthma, and I've used air cleaners for years. Modern versions can be very effective. We don't have forced air heating or central air, so I have no choice other than room units.

I used Honeywell true hepas for a while, but then found a Hunter unit I liked even more. I eventually bought three of those, but they all died after 5-6 years. They're no longer manufactured, so I looked all over for suitable replacements, and settled on these.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WT ... UTF8&psc=1

I've run one in the bedroom for about a year now, and added another one in the living room about 6 months ago. I'll probably add another one in another part of the house soon.

For me, re-usable/washable filters are a must-have, so that narrowed the choices. I'm not sure if the plasma wave stuff is real science or not, but I don't care much. I just want the filter to work, and these certainly do. A nice feature with these units is you can run them on low mode, and they are almost silent. But when the sensor detects particles in the air, they will kick into a higher speed until the air is cleaned. I was dubious of that feature at first, but it really does seem to work well.
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.