Best way to send flowers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Ancal

Best way to send flowers?

Post by Ancal » Thu May 08, 2014 12:59 pm

With Mother's Day coming up, I've been trying to figure out the best way to get flowers to mom and grandma.

I've used the big sites before (800 Flowers, FTD, etc), but I often feel ripped off by them. They tack on a huge amount for delivery and "service fees," the final arrangement rarely resembles the photograph, and anecdotally I've heard that the local florists who actually complete the order make almost no profit.

Any tips into making Mommy happy without breaking the bank?

BuckyBadger

Re: Best way to send flowers?

Post by BuckyBadger » Thu May 08, 2014 1:02 pm

I've had luck calling directly flower shops near where I'm trying to send flowers. I ask if they can deliver and when, then say that I'd like the best arrangement I can get for X amount of money. You usually can't see what you're getting ahead of time, but you get way more for your money because you're dealing directly with the florist. I've never gotten any complaints this way.

Although I started sending chocolate dipped strawberries from Edible Arrangements for Mother's Day.

Astronomically expensive for what you get, yes, but I find cut flowers - which end up dying - to be a little depressing. While chocolate covered strawberries are delicious!

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Thu May 08, 2014 1:05 pm

1) Call a local florist
2) cheapflowers.com. $35 including all fees and delivery. It's consistently the cheapest online flower service I've found.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Thu May 08, 2014 1:09 pm

I send my wife flowers once or twice a month, I've used proflowers, ftd and local florists and generally prefer proflowers. Proflowers ships directly and also refers to local florists for same day deliveries but you get better and larger arrangements from proflowers than local florists, the flowers are also fresher and last longer. If you need it that day you are going to be stuck with a local florist whether the order is refereed through proflowers ftd.com or called in. If you want to use a local florist and want to save them the commission they pay to FTD either call them or order directly on their website.

No matter what florist you go through you're going to pay a delivery fee (I usually pay around $12) whether that be for a local driver to drop the flowers off or for FedEx to deliver a shipped package. If you want to save some money go to a local florist and pick the flowers up and deliver them yourself, of course you'll have to calculate the cost of gas / time but the recipient tends to like it much more when they are personally delivered anyway :).

If you checkout groupon you can usually get a discount code to save $40 at ftd.com for $20, combine that with promotion codes or a free shipping coupon and you'll do well.
Last edited by Quickfoot on Thu May 08, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gte939h

Post by gte939h » Thu May 08, 2014 1:10 pm

I've used a company called Bouqs Co to send flowers recently. The prices are $40/50/60 depending on what you get. It may be too close to Mother's Day now to get them there with free shipping but worth a look if that is in the budget. The larger companies made me feel ripped off too and I didn't like the quality of the flowers and how long they were living once delivered. https://www.thebouqs.com

Topic Author
Ancal

Post by Ancal » Thu May 08, 2014 1:15 pm

Thanks - all good tips! A colleague just told me about Farmgirl Flowers, which is SF Bay Area–specific, but might have analogs around the country. Looks like a pretty fair deal, though not much cheaper than the big players.

I would definitely go for the personal delivery if I were anywhere close!

lochnessie

Post by lochnessie » Thu May 08, 2014 3:10 pm

I like the idea of calling up the local flower shops, but if you do go through one of the big sites, FTD offers free shipping/delivery through Shoprunner. You can get Shoprunner for free indefinitely if you have an AmEx card, and Shoprunner also has some promotions - free trials and currently has a promotion of a free year for some current Amazon prime members. I (unfortunately) just took advantage of the free delivery for a funeral flower delivery.

stupidkid

Post by stupidkid » Fri May 09, 2014 2:56 pm

I've been using Organic Bouquet for years, good service, reasonable prices, nice flowers. The one time the flowers weren't up to snuff they issued a credit, no questions asked. Plus, I purchase through fatwallet and get 6% cashback for extra savings.

CABob

Post by CABob » Fri May 09, 2014 3:11 pm

+1 for using a florist that is local to recipient.
It helps if you are personally familiar with the florist, but, even if not I have had reasonably good sucess.
Bob

OAG

Post by OAG » Sat May 10, 2014 5:59 am

If a member use USAA (FTD) - 25% discount and lower delivery fees.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.

Watty

Post by Watty » Sat May 10, 2014 6:12 pm

For future reference you can also overnight the flowers yourself from your own garden. I once lived where we had great rhododendrons that grew in our yard that my mom had admired when visiting. They did not grow where she lived for one years I overnight ed a box full of them. I wrapped each stem in a damp paper towel then aluminum foil then put them in large ziplock bags and they traveled well.

prudent

Post by prudent » Sat May 10, 2014 8:04 pm

CABob wrote:+1 for using a florist that is local to recipient.
It helps if you are personally familiar with the florist, but, even if not I have had reasonably good sucess.
+2 for this. I've never had a bad experience. There's no room for "misunderstandings" such as FTD gave the wrong instructions, Proflowers showed a misleading picture on their site of what the arrangement actually is, etc.

Zabar

Post by Zabar » Sat May 10, 2014 8:17 pm

After trying a variety of approaches, I've become a fan of ProFlowers for two reasons:

• The quality of the blooms has been quite high--as good or better than local flower shops.

• When I had a problem with an incorrect address (my mistake), I called them and they handled the situation very well. The flowers were delivered a day late, but were in excellent condition.

While their delivery fees can be on the high end, they're often lower than local florists in NYC, SF, etc.

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Sat May 10, 2014 8:38 pm

prudent wrote:
CABob wrote:+1 for using a florist that is local to recipient.
+2 for this. I've never had a bad experience. There's no room for "misunderstandings" such as FTD gave the wrong instructions, Proflowers showed a misleading picture on their site of what the arrangement actually is, etc.
I have great experience working through my local florist.

beyou

Post by beyou » Sat May 10, 2014 9:13 pm

gte939h wrote:I've used a company called Bouqs Co to send flowers recently. The prices are $40/50/60 depending on what you get. It may be too close to Mother's Day now to get them there with free shipping but worth a look if that is in the budget. The larger companies made me feel ripped off too and I didn't like the quality of the flowers and how long they were living once delivered. https://www.thebouqs.com
Saw them on Shark Tank ! The Sharks did not love them :twisted:

Boglemama

Post by Boglemama » Sun May 11, 2014 9:58 am

Quickfoot wrote:I send my wife flowers once or twice a month, I've used proflowers, ftd and local florists and generally prefer proflowers. Proflowers ships directly and also refers to local florists for same day deliveries but you get better and larger arrangements from proflowers than local florists, the flowers are also fresher and last longer. If you need it that day you are going to be stuck with a local florist whether the order is refereed through proflowers ftd.com or called in. If you want to use a local florist and want to save them the commission they pay to FTD either call them or order directly on their website.

No matter what florist you go through you're going to pay a delivery fee (I usually pay around $12) whether that be for a local driver to drop the flowers off or for FedEx to deliver a shipped package. If you want to save some money go to a local florist and pick the flowers up and deliver them yourself, of course you'll have to calculate the cost of gas / time but the recipient tends to like it much more when they are personally delivered anyway :).

If you checkout groupon you can usually get a discount code to save $40 at ftd.com for $20, combine that with promotion codes or a free shipping coupon and you'll do well.
How great that you send flowers to your wife regularly! As a Bogelhead wife, I would like it even more that you used Groupon.