Free Dinner Binge?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
mickeyd

Free Dinner Binge?

Post by mickeyd »

DW will be out of town visiting relatives in VA for a few weeks and I will be on my own to fend for myself.

I have lined up the following entertainment to take up my evening time~

Tue May 13 Texas Land and Cattle~2014 SS Update
Thu May 15 Bob's Steak & Chop House ~ Understanding Different Retirement Plans
Tue May 29 Dominion CC SA, TX~ Legacy Planning

My mailbox awaits other offers for complementary dining opportunities and financial advice. :beer
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Raymond

Re: FREE DINNER BINGE?

Post by Raymond »

Forgive me if I don't understand - these "free" dinners are sponsored by various "financial advisors"?

Have fun, but the danger is that you might end up buying whatever they're selling :twisted:

And if you live in the DFW area, are you actually going to drive or fly to San Antonio just for a free dinner? :confused

[Edit] Or do you live in San Antonio? I didn't know until I searched that there was a Bob's in SA.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Calm Man

Re: Free Dinner Binge?

Post by Calm Man »

Sounds like a lot of red meat and saturated fat :shock:
Any thoughts on maybe reading, watching a movie and preparing some food for yourself?
Otherwise, don't drink the wine there and pretend you have had a stroke and can't sign anything.
Topic Author
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Forgive me if I don't understand - these "free" dinners are sponsored by various "financial advisors"?

No doubt. They must love me.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Free Steak! Do it!!!!!!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

Order medium rare if that's an option. Extra sour cream and butter on the baked potato. Avoid the chicken or fish option at any cost. Get a salad to add that justifiable healthy factor. :sharebeer
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

How have you gotten on these lists? I know once on one you get on many?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I do not think it is wise to make a habit of trying to steal bait from mousetraps.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

nisiprius wrote:I do not think it is wise to make a habit of trying to steal bait from mousetraps.

Come on Nisi, where is your spirit of competition?
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

I have noticed a disturbing progression in these offers. I used to get a free dinner from financial planners. Then the offers came from estate planning services. Lately it has been from hearing aid companies and bathroom renovation contractors. I just got a call last week for a dinner and a presentation about long term care. The final stage is pre-paid funeral plans. I got a DVD in the mail explaining the details.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I find it interesting that your wife wants nothing to do with these shenanigans (or you are afraid to ask her to go with you!)
Topic Author
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

stan1 wrote:I find it interesting that your wife wants nothing to do with these shenanigans (or you are afraid to ask her to go with you!)

Line #1 of OP indicates that she is out of town. Line #2 indicates that this is for entertainment. I do not fear DW most of the time. I like the word shenanigans.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Enjoy the meals. If anyone asks where the wife is, you can honestly say " ...we are currently separated." :wink:
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
pjstack

Post by pjstack »

Your "geezer mail" is better than mine! I just get catalogues for diapers and canes!
pjstack
shawcroft

Post by shawcroft »

Mickeyd:
Outstanding dinner plans. Please report on what you learned from these "educational discussions at which no financial products are sold"
Shawcroft
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

Ipod and Kindle are your friends.

Note: Sometimes the organizer of these dinners cheaps out and orders the rubber chicken for everybody. If you can order off the menu, great, but that would be unusual. Check on the menu before you get there. You may have to call the restaurant the same day to actually find out.

Ralph
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I got one offer for listening to ways to reduce your utility bills.

Wonder if this increase across various businesses is due to the fact it is more difficult to cold call?

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
HardKnocker

Post by HardKnocker »

Let's us know how it went.
“Gold gets dug out of the ground, then we melt it down, dig another hole, bury it again and pay people to stand around guarding it. It has no utility.”--Warren Buffett
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Go, when they inquire about your assets tell them all about the 10 different Single Premium Immediate Annuities you purchased in the good ole days of 7 and 8%. The income from those accounts is just barely enough to meet your daily living expenses. :twisted: Oh! and the $1000 seniors checking account you keep over at Frost Bank. :P
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

I got an invitation for a presentation at a hearing aids shop and get a $25 gift certificate for Walmart. They probably want to sell me something for $5.5k as one time and only give me $25 at W, really cheap! It is amazing that they do not see the potential mass market for hearing aids and do not reduce the horrific prices significantly!
peppers

Post by peppers »

Well, look what came in the mail today...

Thu May 29 Ruth's Chris Steak House Understanding Your Pension Plan S. Barrington Il.

Tue June 3 Pappadeux Seafood Kitchen Details Of Your 401k Plan Westmont Il.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

likegarden wrote:I got an invitation for a presentation at a hearing aids shop and get a $25 gift certificate for Walmart. They probably want to sell me something for $5.5k as one time and only give me $25 at W, really cheap! It is amazing that they do not see the potential mass market for hearing aids and do not reduce the horrific prices significantly!
I get those hearing aid things too, but no free lunches
All the Best, | Joe
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Reminds me of people taking a test drive for a free $25 gift card. Later they brag about what a great deal they got from the nice salesman! :-)
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

pjstack wrote:Your "geezer mail" is better than mine! I just get catalogues for diapers and canes!
Along with the financial planning dinner offerings, my mail is a mixture of assisted living communities (currently in 55 & over ACTIVE adult community so I guess that is my next step), then, in case I am really ready there are the cemetery & cremation promotions.
Besides, with my Boglehead passive investment style, the free dinner sessions are of no interest because I do not eat meat and rarely have dinner at 3.30-4.00 p.m.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone