Has anyone bought a smart TV rcently?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jay22

Has anyone bought a smart TV rcently?

Post by jay22 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:08 pm

I am in market for a new TV and can't decide which one to buy, wondering if people have bought one recently and how good/bad experience has been. I am looking for something in the 46-50 inch range. Till now, I am shortlisted Samsung UN50EH5300 (50 inches) and VIZIO M471i-A2 (47 inches). Like most of my purchases, I am looking for something that gives most bang for the buck. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Retread

Re: Has anyone bought a smart TV rcently?

Post by Retread » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:56 pm

We have purchased six Samsung TV's over the past five years. We have been pleased with all of them with no problems whatsoever.
Bruce
absit iniuria verbis

Jake46

Post by Jake46 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:02 pm

I bought a Sony KDL-47W802A 47-Inch 120Hz 1080p 3D Internet LED HDTV in January. I have been very satisfied. I own two older Sony Bravias but this my first smart TV. Linking to Wifi was a snap & the apps (Amazon Prime, Netflix, MLB, etc.) let me get rid of my Roku box. Couldn't be happier.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:06 pm

We bought two Samsung TVs (40-inch for the bedroom and 46-inch for the living room) a couple of years ago and have been very happy with them. The picture quality is outstanding. I have a small 22-inch Samsung in another room and am looking to replace it with the Samsung UN50EH5300. In fact, it is in my "Saved for Later" basket on Amazon right now.

Personally, I find that the 1080p resolution is very important but I actually try to avoid anything with a refresh rate higher than 60 Hz. My sister & brother-in-law are our neighbors and they have Samsung TVs also but one with a 120 Hz rate and another with a 240 Hz rate. I find it hard to watch shows at their place. The higher refresh rate on their TVs cause a soap-opera effect which make images look strange. My wife greatly dislikes the way it looks also so it isn't just me. Some people barely notice (or actually prefer) the soap opera effect but it drives both of us crazy. The Vizio model you mentioned has a 120 Hz rate so I'd recommend trying it out before making a purchase. Personally, I find that a 60 Hz rate is totally fine but opinions on this vary. Additionally, a higher refresh rate generally also means a more expensive price. So my vote is for the Samsung UN50EH5300 (60 Hz) but you really should just "test out" both models to see what you prefer.

The number of HDMI ports is 3 on both the models you mentioned. Personally, I think 3 is good but wouldn't go with anything under that. If you will have a lot of devices hooked up to your TV, you may want to go with one that offers even more ports.

Topic Author
jay22

Post by jay22 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:08 pm

Jake46 wrote:I bought a Sony KDL-47W802A 47-Inch 120Hz 1080p 3D Internet LED HDTV in January. I have been very satisfied. I own two older Sony Bravias but this my first smart TV. Linking to Wifi was a snap & the apps (Amazon Prime, Netflix, MLB, etc.) let me get rid of my Roku box. Couldn't be happier.
Yeah, I wanted a Sony as well initially. Couldn't justify the high price after I compared it with similar Samsung models in BB today, though.

dbltrbl

Post by dbltrbl » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:09 pm

Three Samsung all smart TVs. No problem. Vizio 55" also but not smart TV so I cant comment. All of our smart TVs are pain if you like to use web browser. For applications like you tube netflix bbc news etc great and very easy. Easy to hook up for HDMI input to and great pictures. Samsung are a 55 inch and two 40 inches.

Topic Author
jay22

Post by jay22 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:10 pm

Ron Ronnerson wrote:We bought two Samsung TVs (40-inch for the bedroom and 46-inch for the living room) a couple of years ago and have been very happy with them. The picture quality is outstanding. I have a small 22-inch Samsung in another room and am looking to replace it with the Samsung UN50EH5300. In fact, it is in my "Saved for Later" basket on Amazon right now.

Personally, I find that the 1080p resolution is very important but I actually try to avoid anything with a refresh rate higher than 60 Hz. My sister & brother-in-law are our neighbors and they have Samsung TVs also but one with a 120 Hz rate and another with a 240 Hz rate. I find it hard to watch shows at their place. The higher refresh rate on their TVs cause a soap-opera effect which make images look strange. My wife greatly dislikes the way it looks also so it isn't just me. Some people barely notice (or actually prefer) the soap opera effect but it drives both of us crazy. The Vizio model you mentioned has a 120 Hz rate so I'd recommend trying it out before making a purchase. Personally, I find that a 60 Hz rate is totally fine but opinions on this vary. Additionally, a higher refresh rate generally also means a more expensive price. So my vote is for the Samsung UN50EH5300 (60 Hz) but you really should just "test out" both models to see what you prefer.

The number of HDMI ports is 3 on both the models you mentioned. Personally, I think 3 is good but wouldn't go with anything under that. If you will have a lot of devices hooked up to your TV, you may want to go with one that offers even more ports.
Thank you! Personally, I find the refresh rate to be a marketing gimmick. I don't think anything over 60 is needed as well. I am leaning towards the Samsung one as well. I found the pictures sharper when I compared it with Vizio in BB earlier today.

Topic Author
jay22

Post by jay22 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:11 pm

dbltrbl wrote:Three Samsung all smart TVs. No problem. Vizio 55" also but not smart TV so I cant comment. All of our smart TVs are pain if you like to use web browser. For applications like you tube netflix bbc news etc great and very easy. Easy to hook up for HDMI input to and great pictures. Samsung are a 55 inch and two 40 inches.
Really? I thought one of the USP of Samsung models is how easy is it to browse web on them. At least that's what I have been reading and was told by the BB folks.

Ged

Post by Ged » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:14 pm

I'm not a big fan of smart TV's. Just give me the TV and keep the smarts please. I don't like the idea of TV companies recording my viewing habits. Also over the life of the TV the smart features are likely to become obsolete - it's better to have an external device or two that can be easily updated.

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:14 pm

I bought Samsung UN46EH5300 recently, the 46in version of one of your option. It is a very good TV in general. The software is however, just so so. When it works, it's great: Amazon, Netflix has really good picture on it with the built in software. However, the boot time is rather slow. And sometime it doesn't work right away, forcing me to restart the TV or the app. So it's not the most reliable software, but if you are wiling to put up with a bit of that, it's a good tv. Just don't expect to sit down and watch Netflix under 30 seconds with it. Roku is much more reliable in my experience.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:34 pm

This is very simple.

If the tv is greater than 42 inches it must be 1080p.
If you are viewing in a brightly lit room (lots of daylight) you need to get the LED Samsung.
If you are viewing in a darker room, then you best bet is a panasonic plasma. You will get arguably the most realistic picture with the best blacks. If you go check out the reviews, basically it is Samsung vs Panasonic, and people will pull one way or the other. both are excellent TVs and you wont go wrong especially if you follow my advice above.

BTW, the plasma is also much less expensive. Now when you go to your Best Buy, you will find those LED tvs are so bright and colors are so vibrant. It is a farce played on your eyes. You are viewing in a very brightly lit room with the TVs set up on their brightest settings. the colors are actually completely off, where the whites are actually blue and the reds are over-saturated. Take a look and see for yourself.

In my house I have 2 panasonic plasmas, one in my media room, the other in my bedroom. I also have a Samsung LED in our living room which gets a lot of sunlight.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters. | https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79939&start=400#p5275418

Topic Author
jay22

Post by jay22 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:42 pm

armeliusc wrote:I bought Samsung UN46EH5300 recently, the 46in version of one of your option. It is a very good TV in general. The software is however, just so so. When it works, it's great: Amazon, Netflix has really good picture on it with the built in software. However, the boot time is rather slow. And sometime it doesn't work right away, forcing me to restart the TV or the app. So it's not the most reliable software, but if you are wiling to put up with a bit of that, it's a good tv. Just don't expect to sit down and watch Netflix under 30 seconds with it. Roku is much more reliable in my experience.
That was my biggest fear with the smart TVs. They have started to put in so much junk in the software that the lag is bound to happen.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:43 pm

Have owned several Vizios and a couple Samsung's.The most recent is a 50 inch Samsung Smart TV.Spend the few extra bucks and get a Samsung.Superb Quality,Picture and Sound.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:46 pm

I bought the 40 inch version of the 5300 series samsung smart TV ($399) for my mom and she loves the picture. She didn't buy it for the smart features but I checked them out, updated the software, signed on to netflix etc. The smart TV features are sluggish and the software isn't as nearly good as what's in an Apple TV or Roku.

My brother has a 50 inch samsung 6300 series smart tv with 3D. The smart TV software is different in this series but still not as good as AppleTV or Roku. The remote control on this TV is weird too. It has a trackpad instead of number pad. Make sure you look at the remote on your TV before you buy.
Wiki

Topic Author
jay22

Post by jay22 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:53 pm

Which 'dumb' Samsung TV would you recommend if I want to go that route? Does anyone here own one? I don't want something with a sluggish interface and apps that keeps on crashing.

Ron Ronnerson

Post by Ron Ronnerson » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:26 pm

The Samsung TVs I have are non-smart. Mine are probably around 3 years old now so I doubt Samsung still makes those exact models. I've got Apple TVs connected to them and it works great. It's easy to stream content from the Apple TVs and the interface/apps are nice. I like the radio app quite a bit. There must be thousands of stations on there.

I agree that a smart TV isn't necessary. However, you can still get a smart TV and connect another device to it if you wish to. The increased cost for a smart TV isn't that much these days.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:31 pm

My mom's 40 inch samsung smart tv is only sluggish once you go into the smart TV section. It is a normal TV otherwise - very fast - no complaints.

Are you looking to buy in a retail store? I think you may find that stores may carry more smart TVs than "dumb" ones particularly in the larger sizes.
Wiki

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:34 pm

As mentioned Smart TV not that much more . :happy

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... -+59%60%60
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

armeliusc

Post by armeliusc » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:37 pm

jay22 wrote:
armeliusc wrote: ... it's a good tv. Just don't expect to sit down and watch Netflix under 30 seconds with it. Roku is much more reliable in my experience.
That was my biggest fear with the smart TVs. They have started to put in so much junk in the software that the lag is bound to happen.
Yes, I also shared your concern when I was looking for the new TV. OTOH, it seems that most TV now has "smart" and you don't really pay premium for the feature. So I suppose it doesn't really matter anyway (I already had Roku when I got it, so it wasn't something I terribly worried about). Also it's really not "that bad", you just have to have some patients with it sometime :).

Kalo

Post by Kalo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:41 pm

I bought a Samsung smart tv within the last year. The TV works fine. The smart part sucks in my opinion for the following reasons:

1) Slow to boot and will interrupt you to tell you that it's finished updating itself and ask you if you want to switch to smart tv while you're watching a regular show. I don't like machines that annoy or interrupt me. Everything in the Smart TV mode is very slow to run and sometimes will just fail to run.

2) Once my Hulu Plus would not work and it turned out that the reason was bad weather in NY (I live in the Twin Cities). Hulu Plus told me that Samsung routes all their signals through they're servers in NY area regardless of where you live. I'm not sure this is true but I have read online others who confirmed this. Seems hard to believe. But I did get my Hulu Plus back the next day.

3) There's not a single service available through the smart TV that you don't have to pay for except for basic Pandora, and you can't control what's happening on your screen when you're using Pandora. Also, Samsung is obviously to me trying to create a steam of income for themselves which is unnecessary from my point of view, and they also want all kinds of personal information from you if they can get it.

4) Internet surfing is painfully difficult and not worth the effort. Only reason I wanted to do it was to watch something from CBS.com but I could never get it to work even after spending over an hour entering the address and searching for the show I wanted to see.

The TV works fine (not counting the Smart part), and was not much more expensive than a dumb one, but if I could save any money at all going with dumb I would do it.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.

OAG

Post by OAG » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:51 am

Retread wrote:We have purchased six Samsung TV's over the past five years. We have been pleased with all of them with no problems whatsoever.
Bruce
+1 (Best Buy will price match any cheaper price including Amazon).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:53 am

Last year I bought 2 55" Samsung TV's. One 8000 series and one 7500 series. Since TV's tend to last a long time for me.... gave away a 42" Sony rear projector that was 17 years old and sold a Panasonic Plasma that was near 10, both working like the day they were new, so I didn't mind going the extra bucks for 3D and 240hz and other extra features.

Both produce pictures nothing short of stunning after calibration, which is an easy at home task. All TV's are set at the factory to have the greatest WOW factor in a showroom. Unrealistic contrast, brightness and saturation produce WOW in a show room but not the best picture at home. Disney and Monster collaborated to produce a simple to use calibration DVD which I used but could not find available at the moment, instead I found this one which should help. It's really pretty simple like the girl on the left should look too pale, the one in the center just right on skin tone and the one on the right too reddish on skin when you move this control, sorta thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-ISF-Calib ... B000EEXEIW

Have fun.

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:13 am

We just bought this one.
http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Samsung-LED ... 0f8000.htm

I was very reluctant about buying it online but it worked out well.
It is a spectacular TV.
I got it along with a Samsung bluetooth soundbar/woofer.
I like that I can attach my IPad to the soundbar via bluetooth.

Good stuff.

pochax

Post by pochax » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:44 am

i bought a Vizio M-series (65") in December. It has great picture quality, features, and Smart TV functions work fine with the exception of Youtube is a bit glitchy sometimes. The Vizio remote is finicky but i use my FiOS Remote as a universal and if you just point it towards the lower left corner of the TV it works just fine. if you are not going to save money between the Vizio and Samsung, i would probably go samsung...but i saved >$400 on the price difference between comparable TVs in my size range (60-70") at that time so it was a no-brainer for me and i am very happy with my purchase.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:57 am

Ged wrote:I'm not a big fan of smart TV's. Just give me the TV and keep the smarts please. I don't like the idea of TV companies recording my viewing habits. Also over the life of the TV the smart features are likely to become obsolete - it's better to have an external device or two that can be easily updated.
I like my dumb TV too. My LG Blu-ray player has more smarts than I need anyway.. Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, YouTube, and lots of other stuff I never use.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:05 am

Retread wrote:We have purchased six Samsung TV's over the past five years. We have been pleased with all of them with no problems whatsoever.
Bruce
One for each bathroom?

rixer

Post by rixer » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:07 am

I was in Fry's years ago and was so impressed with the 1080P picture I bought it. Of course, that was back in the day when they didn't have much 1080P material to watch or a cost effective Blu-Ray to play it on. Over the years, the content has now become much more available.

So Saturday, I'm walking through Costco and they have a 4K Samsung Smart Ultra Hi-Def tv on display (UN55HU8500AF). I have honestly never seen such a crystal clear, vivid and vivid color picture on any screen, anywhere. I want one! I came home and did a little looking around and found out there isn't much 4K content to watch even if you have the set. :(

I'm going to wait but someday I will purchase it!

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:26 am

Hexdump wrote:We just bought this one.
http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Samsung-LED ... 0f8000.htm

I was very reluctant about buying it online but it worked out well.
It is a spectacular TV.
I got it along with a Samsung bluetooth soundbar/woofer.
I like that I can attach my IPad to the soundbar via bluetooth.

Good stuff.

BTW, my second one (from previous post) was an Amazon deal with an Amazon rebate.. 4% I think, and I used Discover in a 5% Internet month and on a special 2% extra day. Delivery and out of carton placement + plug in was included. Between stacking discounts and not paying the state 7% sales tax I was real proud of that deal.

investor1

Post by investor1 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:34 am

I have a 60 inch Samsung Smart TV. As far as the performance of watching video goes, it's great! The picture is excellent.

I think the whole Smart TV aspect of it is overrated though. Apps like Netflix work really well, but web browsing with a remote control is a pain. I've tried to stream live events that were broadcast over YouTube, and it was so laggy it was unwatchable. The guide that comes with the TV is also pretty bad. The most annoying part of it is that it always opens at the lowest channel rather than the channel you are currently watching. Considering all of the HD channels are the highest channels, it makes the guide not worth using. I hate Comcast's guide, but I used that over the Samsung one. Another nice thing about the TV is that it has USB ports so you can hook up an external hard drive which is nice if you have video on one, and since the TV is on your network, you can plug a drive into your router (assuming it has USB ports) and access it from your TV.

I recently got an XBox One and have been using that for the Smart TV aspect. I haven't even thought about using the stuff on the TV since then. Web browsing still isn't good, but the guide works well, and I can use voice commands.

I'd stick with a dumb TV with a good picture. If you want Smart TV capability, plug an old computer into the TV or buy an XBox.

gary11

Post by gary11 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:46 am

I am shortlisted Samsung UN50EH5300
We bought a Samsung UN50EH5300F from Best Buy a month ago. Our 12 year old 32 inch 200 lb Sony gave up on us. This Samsung is a good tv with excellent picture quality for bright rooms. We stream lot of contents via laptop via HDMI and that set up works pretty flawlessly. However audio is not as good as our 12 year old Sony box. Also the "smart" feature is not so smart. Updates are frequent, weekly, and lasts up to 20 minutes and someone noted earlier getting to Netflix screen takes some time. But once on Netflix it works pretty good. We have an old version of Roku and we would need newer Roku with this TV but it has not gotten annoying enough for us to go ahead and spend extra $100 for a new Roku. So yeah overall satisfied with TV. One thing to note is that they have dropped support for YouTube app from their "smart" contents so its not available directly via TV.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:13 am

I've got a 46" Samsung LED in the bedroom and a 64" Samsung Plasma in the living room. I'm very happy with both.

gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:21 am

Just make sure you get one with multiple hdmi ports. I have a great 40 inch Bravia that is over 10 years old but only 1 HDMI port. I know there are work arounds but i just don't want to bother

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:27 am

armeliusc wrote:I bought Samsung UN46EH5300 recently, the 46in version of one of your option. It is a very good TV in general. The software is however, just so so. When it works, it's great: Amazon, Netflix has really good picture on it with the built in software. However, the boot time is rather slow. And sometime it doesn't work right away, forcing me to restart the TV or the app. So it's not the most reliable software, but if you are wiling to put up with a bit of that, it's a good tv. Just don't expect to sit down and watch Netflix under 30 seconds with it. Roku is much more reliable in my experience.
We have this same TV in our bedroom, the picture quality is great - especially when paired with Direct TV HD channels (OTA is not bad either). I also agree with the comment on the "Smarts". It's just so,so and I really could do without it...

Munir

Post by Munir » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:34 am

I follow Consumer Reports' recommendations more than individual anecdotes: consumerreports.org

My last TV was a 46" smart one from LG and I've been very happy with it.
Last edited by Munir on Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

House Blend

Post by House Blend » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:36 am

FWIW I bought a 46" Samsung just last week.

Features I was insisting on:
must not be "smart"
must not have 3D
must not have 4K
size in the 46" class

Used mostly for Netflix (via roku) and disks (DVD & blu-ray) and a little bit of OTA (sports).

It's possible that all of the new Samsungs are "smart". But I found that my local, not-a-franchise A/V retailer had a model that fit my requirements and was heavily discounted. Probably last years model.

In any case, it was a 120Hz LED model @ $550 + sales tax.

Seemed like a good buy. It fits my needs; no complaints.

Ged

Post by Ged » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:04 pm

cheese_breath wrote:
Ged wrote:I'm not a big fan of smart TV's. Just give me the TV and keep the smarts please. I don't like the idea of TV companies recording my viewing habits. Also over the life of the TV the smart features are likely to become obsolete - it's better to have an external device or two that can be easily updated.
I like my dumb TV too. My LG Blu-ray player has more smarts than I need anyway.. Netflix, Pandora, Hulu, YouTube, and lots of other stuff I never use.
I do something similar to that. I have an Oppo BDP-105 which had as an option a bundled Roku stick that works through a front MHL port. It can also act as a Samba client, host an external hard drive, accept audio through a USB port and act as a DNLA renderer over a network. The result is basically something that will scarf up and present any kind of media that I'm likely to have. It even has HDMI input ports so you can clean up your cable video with the Oppo video processor before it hits the TV. There are smart phone apps to control it as well.

The TV has some smart features but they are woefully limited, obsolete and incomplete by comparison. I don't care though because I don't use them. I wish I didn't have to pay for them to get the TV I wanted.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:09 pm

We purchased two smart TVs last summer - both Panasonic 50". Love them. One is mounted above our fireplace, and I wanted a little "stuff" on the mantle as possible, so a smart TV was a definite plus.

For those concerned about updates - you can always use a Roku or other device instead of the smart features. So far this has not been a concern for us, but it's out there as an option if this is something you are concerned about. Our TVs have received a couple software updates (that we've noticed anyway, there may have been more).
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

Topic Author
jay22

Post by jay22 » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:39 pm

So, I went to BB again today and asked them if they have any non smart TVs in the 46-50 inch range. To my surprise, they only had a couple. One LG and another Vizio. Not sure if Walmart carry any but I'll check there as well. Otherwise, I'll just have to get a smart TV and just deal with the software lag if there's any.

Retread

Post by Retread » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:06 am

sscritic wrote:
Bruce
One for each bathroom?
Good idea, although there is an outlet problem in the bathroom now occupied by electric toothbrushes. :happy Actually I watch very little TV, believe it or not.
Bruce
absit iniuria verbis

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:27 am

jay22 wrote:So, I went to BB again today and asked them if they have any non smart TVs in the 46-50 inch range. To my surprise, they only had a couple. One LG and another Vizio. Not sure if Walmart carry any but I'll check there as well. Otherwise, I'll just have to get a smart TV and just deal with the software lag if there's any.
Don't let Smart vs non-Smart influence your decision. Pick the TV that looks best to you in your budget. Any non-Smart TV can be overcome with a Roku if you decide you need it. And a Smart TV's Smart features won't be nearly intrusive enough to be a problem. Many TV's let you set it to update during Sleep mode when the TV is not in use. And generally, the Smart features can give access to content that might let you save money by cutting your cable bill. Amazon VOD has a lot of free content if you are a Prime subscriber, including great HBO shows soon. Netflix and Hulu are great and Vudu gives access to many of your Ultraviolet films that you may have free access to if you got a Bluray that came with a code.

bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:39 pm

Bought a 50in Smart Samsung with 3d last year and really like it, the smart part I only use for Netflix, the 3d is fun with my grandkids.

pochax

Post by pochax » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:51 pm

jay22 wrote:So, I went to BB again today and asked them if they have any non smart TVs in the 46-50 inch range. To my surprise, they only had a couple. One LG and another Vizio. Not sure if Walmart carry any but I'll check there as well. Otherwise, I'll just have to get a smart TV and just deal with the software lag if there's any.
I agree - don't base your decision on "smart" vs. "dumb" - base it on picture quality. you can always make a "smart" tv with lag issues "smarter" with apple tv, roku (box or stick), chromecast, or amazon fire tv.