Avast loaded malwhere with updated "protection".

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tjwolf

Avast loaded malwhere with updated "protection".

Post by tjwolf » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:24 pm

Avast asked for permission to up date protection. By clicking on OK we received PC-Tech, Friends Checker, Dibzees, Software Watcher, and several other intrusive pop-up programs. Have tried the computers system restore, running virus scans, applying the PC-Cleaner program and several other "solutions".

These programs can not be removed. Why would any anti-virus company bundle junk like this to a supposed virus protection package?

Googled those programs and have found many similar situations. Has any one else been infected and found a solution?

Tom
Tom

bberris

Re: Avast loaded malwhere with updated "protection".

Post by bberris » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:07 pm

I think you clicked on a fake link. Tried Malware bytes for removal?

chaz

Post by chaz » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:43 pm

Avast is a very good anti-virus app.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Calm Man

Post by Calm Man » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:45 pm

They do this a lot. I had that problem with avast a few years ago. I just downloaded a pdf to WORD creator. I had to opt out of about 50 things and must have missed one (or maybe I didn't) and my browser got hijacked for the homepage. I eventually fixed it but it took a long time. The message is try to avoid all of these things. I can tell you that MalwareBytes doesn't do what avast did.

tuningfork

Post by tuningfork » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:08 pm

I've been using Avast for years and never has it pushed malware to me. I'm also not finding any hits on google with Avast installing any of those programs - only hits I found are your posts here and at a few other forums.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:17 pm

I couple weeks ago I replaced Microsoft Security Essentials with Avast. As I was trying various Avast options, I inadvertently installed GrimeFighter. GrimeFighter turned out to be a major nuisance, and to get rid of it, I uninstalled Avast and then re-installed it again.

Would not uninstall/re-install work in other cases?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:56 am

I had a similar issue with Avast once, after using it for years. I assumed it was not Avast, but rather some malware that got into my system and hijacked Avast or pretended to be Avast...not sure.

i recently switched to BitDefender. I have no idea if it is better or not. The interface is very minimalistic. I do like that it works completely behind the scenes and does not constantly bug me with popups the way Avast did.

To the poster who suggested that Avast is better than Malwarebytes: You can't compare Malwarebytes to Avast. They serve different functions, though there is overlap. One battles malware and the other is an anti-virus program. You should have both on your computer.
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

magellan

Post by magellan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:58 am

Malware pushers are getting very good at producing fake antivirus popups that are launched by your browser or by other malware running on your computer. If you're using windows, be very careful about responding to the windows popup asking for permission escalation. This is one protection that works well as long as you don't accidentally give approval when you shouldn't.

As a rule, most legitimate updates don't need a permission escalation after the initial install. The app may ask for permission to update, but you often don't get a permission escalation request from windows itself.

IMO, if you ever see windows escalation popup and you didn't manually initiate an install or upgrade, you should note the app requesting permission, and then say no. Next, manually launch the app that wanted to update and kick off the update from inside the app. If doing this also presents an escalation popup, you can be pretty sure it's legit and let the app update.

If the app says it's already up to date, then you probably just saved yourself from a virus infection.

Jim

cleosdad

Post by cleosdad » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:17 am

VictoriaF wrote:I couple weeks ago I replaced Microsoft Security Essentials with Avast. As I was trying various Avast options, I inadvertently installed GrimeFighter. GrimeFighter turned out to be a major nuisance, and to get rid of it, I uninstalled Avast and then re-installed it again.

Victoria
Hi Victoria, Any reason you replaced MSE as that is what I use. Thanks Tim

chaz

Post by chaz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:27 am

cleosdad wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I couple weeks ago I replaced Microsoft Security Essentials with Avast. As I was trying various Avast options, I inadvertently installed GrimeFighter. GrimeFighter turned out to be a major nuisance, and to get rid of it, I uninstalled Avast and then re-installed it again.

Victoria
Avast is rated higher than MSE.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:30 am

cleosdad wrote:

Victoria
I was preparing for Microsoft's termination of their support of Windows XP and read somewhere that MSE support on XP computers will also be terminated. It turned out that my information was wrong, but by the time I found it out, I have already installed Avast.

I selected Avast based on the dottech's article Avira vs avast vs AVG vs Panda Cloud vs Bitdefender vs MSE, review of best free anti-virus for Windows [4th Edition]. Avast came the closest to meeting my criteria.

chaz is correct, MSE was at the bottom in most criteria.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

cleosdad

Post by cleosdad » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:19 am

VictoriaF wrote:
cleosdad wrote:

Victoria
I was preparing for Microsoft's termination of their support of Windows XP and read somewhere that MSE support on XP computers will also be terminated. It turned out that my information was wrong, but by the time I found it out, I have already installed Avast.

I selected Avast based on the dottech's article Avira vs avast vs AVG vs Panda Cloud vs Bitdefender vs MSE, review of best free anti-virus for Windows [4th Edition]. Avast came the closest to meeting my criteria.

chaz is correct, MSE was at the bottom in most criteria.

Victoria
Thank you. I read the report but am not computer saavy. I will probably stay with MSE and hope for the best. Tim

Tom_T

Post by Tom_T » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:28 am

bberris wrote:I think you clicked on a fake link. Tried Malware bytes for removal?
Agreed. I have used Avast for two years and have never, ever had a problem. Avast is one of the most highly-rated security packages around.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:42 am

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Wow. Quite a comprehensive review!
Their main critique of Bitdefender was the inability of the user to decide what to do with infected files....the program just deals with them automatically, which puts the user at risk if the program errs (they consider this "arrogant"). For one such as yourself who is probably very savvy when it comes to this sort of thing, I can see how that could be a disadvantage. For us dabblers, or at least for myself, when my antivirus program finds something it considers malicious, I just delete it anyway, since who am I to know if the program is wrong? I'm just a bozo on this bus. So I actually consider it an advantage, not a disadvantage, to spare me having to make a decision about something I'm clueless about to begin with.

What do you think about that?

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:14 pm

I used Avast for several years, the last year I paid for it, but a year or so ago it requested that I update it. That locked up the computer. I also could no longer run Webroot in parallel to look for viruses and malware. My local Geek suggested to use Webroot and Malwarebytes only, and got rid of Avast.

dl7848

Post by dl7848 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:01 pm

Victoria
Not always. A lot of these adware/spyware/malware programs leave traces in one's Application Settings and/or Local Settings folders and/or the Windows registry. Depending on the item, it can take a bit of rooting around to remove all traces. Running an anti-malware program will usually remove all traces, but not always.

Edited to add: I believe the above-mentioned folders are usually hidden by default. I have them unhidden, so its quote possible others may not see them, unless they have adjusted their settings.

tjwolf

Post by tjwolf » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:18 pm

Problem solved!

Bought a new Lenovo w/MS 8.1 and touch screen. I then hand transferred bookmarks to the new computer. Made hard copies of any files I thought necessary. I'm sure that I've missed some items that i'll want in the future, however did not want to take a chance on transferring corrupted files to the new unit.

Will take a hammer to the old hard-drive before my disposal of the "junk"at Best-buy.

Thanks for all of the comments!
Tom

lululu

Post by lululu » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:36 pm

bberris wrote:I think you clicked on a fake link. Tried Malware bytes for removal?
Just as a note, MalwareBytes anti-malware came out with a dramatically different version a week or two ago. It hung in what seemed to be a loop on my system. It stuck "forever" with the same object count and the same file name displayed.

I haven't totally trusted them ever since a year or so ago they came out with a version that bricked systems, which fortunately I did not run before that was found out.

On the other hand, I've run their software probably a hundred times without problems.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:42 pm

I call Avast and Malware Bytes the dynamic duo. Each catches things the other doesn't. Occationally run a full scan on each. Expect over an hour for MB and perhaps 45 minutes for Avast. Check in ad/remove programs for recent added programs and kill those that you didn't install.

We've had other anti-virus paid software in the past but none have been as good as the duo.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:08 pm

I switched Avast for Bitdefender because I suspected my Avast may have been corrupted, because Avast seemed to have gotten increasingly obtrusive with annoying popups, and because many sites seemed to confirm that Bitdefender picks up a slightly larger number of offenders than Avast.

What I like best about Bitdefender is that it works completely behind the scenes and I am not even aware it is there. What I like less about it is lack of control. That said, if it truly works, who cares? Like I said previously, the choices of what to do with viruses once caught only confused me anyway- save? delete? quarantine?? I didn't think I was knowledgeable enough to make such choices and I wound up deleting the files anyway but feeling bad that maybe I did something horrible. Sort of like why I prefer investing in index funds rather than picking stocks. I'm not Warren Buffett, nor am I Bill Gates.

But I'm new to Bitdefender and have not had enough experience with it to provide a meaningful evaluation.

Tom_T

Post by Tom_T » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:44 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:I call Avast and Malware Bytes the dynamic duo. Each catches things the other doesn't. Occationally run a full scan on each. Expect over an hour for MB and perhaps 45 minutes for Avast. Check in ad/remove programs for recent added programs and kill those that you didn't install.

We've had other anti-virus paid software in the past but none have been as good as the duo.
That is my favorite combo, too. I check the logs every so often to see things that were caught -- my kids are much more likely to visit sites that I've never heard of, and they are usually the culprits. But there are also plenty of legitimate sites whch have malware and the Web site owners don't realize it. Sometimes I will shoot them an e-mail to warn them that their server needs cleaning.

I also have full scans scheduled to run on a regular basis, at night when nobody is using the computer.