Post Your Favorite Recipe (Or Any Recipe You Like)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pennstater2005

Post Your Favorite Recipe (Or Any Recipe You Like)

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:01 pm

I'm looking for some new ideas for dinner. Or any other meal for that matter. You can post whatever recipe you like. Breakfast, lunch, dinner, cookies, cakes, anything at all. Links are welcome (considering i'll be using one :happy)

We just tried this one out recently and it was delicious. We served it with plain white rice.

http://providenceltddesign.com/home/sun ... ic-chicken
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Fallible

Re: Post Your Favorite Recipe (Or Any Recipe You Like)

Post by Fallible » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:06 pm

Are you looking for low-calorie health foods?
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:10 pm

I'm looking for anything. Calories are of no concern! Mostly dinner recipes for myself. But you can feel free to post any recipe you like. You never know. I might try it.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:50 pm

After reading about the detrimental health effects of dairy consumption, I decided to stop eating yogurt for breakfast. In looking for an alternative "glop" to mix in with my fruit and nuts in the morning, I decided to try a concoction based on silken tofu.

For those not familiar with tofu, there are two kinds: Chinese and Japanese. The Chinese type comes in blocks and is the kind most people are familiar with. The Japanese kind comes in boxes usually (though is also comes in tubs) and has the consistency of a thick custard or yogurt.

I have used silken tofu to make non-dairy puddings (a killer chocolate mousse) and decided to try it. After several mixes, I gave up trying to mimic the taste of yogurt and switched to making something appealing. I added all the good tasting spices I like: chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, salt along with olive oil for smoothness and sweetener (a small bit of sugar with a packet of stevia). While this doesn't taste at all like yogurt, I rather like it and it mixes well with my apple, blueberries, walnuts and flax meal. I call it Tofurt. Most people think it tastes a bit chalky. I don't. But, then yogurt is an acquired taste which I no longer miss.

Here is the recipe:

14 oz box of Silken Tofu (firm or soft) -- Note that CostCo sells a dozen of these boxes at a good price.
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil (though I suspect any one would do if you find the taste of olive oil too strong)
1-2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
1+ teaspoons of vanilla
1 teaspoon sugar
1.5 packets of stevia
pinch of salt
a shake or two of cinnamon

whiz all this up in a food processor until it is smooth. It can be a bit thick. I thin it out by adding a couple ounces of soy milk as it whizzing.

Yogurt was the last consistent dairy product I was consuming and I have been (mostly) dairy free for about a year. Unfortunately, avoiding dairy products while dining out is close to impossible and I've decided that those are the times I can eat cheese and butter (ghee) if there isn't anything else that looks appetizing.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:54 pm

You're looking at this all wrong, let's take a different perspective. What ingredients do you have lying around?

See: Website for recipes with random food ingredients lying around?

This is a good website: Allrecipes - Search. Just enter the meal, how long it takes to make, and what type of dish (optional). Exclude any ingredients you don't want to use.

For example: Tuna for breakfast. You may need to experiment as nothing came up using tuna for breakfast in under 15 minutes. One recipe came up if you're willing to go for 30 minutes.

When you run out of ingredients or can't find an edible match, then go food shopping.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:59 pm

Here is another fabulous recipe: Flourless, Sugarless Chocolate Brownies

1 cups of walnuts
1.25 cups of pitted dates
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 cup roasted almonds, chopped in small bits
pinch of salt

Put the walnuts in a food processor and chop until finely ground
Add the cocoa powder and salt and pulse to combine
Add each date one at a time while the food processor is running

When done, this should look like cake crumbs stuck together.

Put the contents in a bowl and add in the almonds and mix together (I use my hands) well.

Pour the contents into a pie pan lined with waxed or parchment paper and press it down into a solid mass. It will now look like brownies.

Put into the refrigerator or freezer until solid. Cut into squares and serve.

These are really good and people will be amazed that they have no flour or sugar in them (though they do have plenty of calories and carbs!).
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

placeholder

Post by placeholder » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:02 pm

I like stirfrys because it's so easy to adjust the amount you're making so here's one (one serving):

One small boneless skinless chicken breast or half large
One cup broccoli florets
Two to three white mushrooms sliced
One half medium carrot thinly sliced
Six snow pea pods or frozen sugar snap pea pods
1/4 can of sliced water chestnuts
1 garlic clove
Fresh ginger root
Soy sauce
Hoisin sauce
Corn starch
Chicken broth

Cut chicken into bite size pieces or slices then stir fry with some vegetable oil and remove from pan.

Use microplane to grate garlic and about the same amount of ginger or finely chop.

Stir fry vegetables next and then add chicken back in.

Depending on how much sauce you like with your stir fry (I eat it with rice so a fair amount for me) add chicken broth and hoisin then let it steam for a short time.

Mix some corn starch (maybe half teaspoon) and soy sauce then add to thicken sauce but if too thick a bit more broth.

You can substitute or add vegetables as you prefer many variations possible.

mlipps

Post by mlipps » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:05 pm

Made these today. They're insanely good!!

http://www.thecandidappetite.com/2014/0 ... to-scones/

Do you use Pinterest? This board of mine is all recipes I've tried successfully!

http://www.pinterest.com/mlipps/what-we-ate/

jeff1949

Grilled Salmon Fillet

Post by jeff1949 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:17 pm

Ingredients
1 salmon fillet (about 1 pound)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
3 tablespoons pesto sauce
1 minced garlic clove
1 teaspoon soy sauce
4-1/2 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
Dash pepper
Directions
Place fish, skin side down, in disposable foil pan. Combine the lemon juice, vinegar, lemon peel, pesto, garlic and soy sauce; pour over fish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and pepper.
Place pan on grill. Cover grill and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Yield: 4 servings.

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:10 pm

Here are two great recipes for a broccoli soup and Greek stew (with calorie counts) from my "Nutrition Magazine," and if you don't like those, keep searching the "Healthy Cook" section for lots more good ones: http://www.cspinet.org/nah/healthycook/ ... ecipe.html
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

peppers

Post by peppers » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:34 pm

by peppers » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:17 am

MP173 wrote:
Peppers:

Jalepeno poppers .... describe please. Sounds interesting.

Ed

jalapenos
cream cheese
garlic cloves
sun dried tomatoes
basil
bacon

I grill them two ways.
Cut off the top of the peppers and remove seeds.
Mix the cream cheese, sun dried tomatoes and garlic (crushed) into a paste.
Stuff the paste into the peppers.
Wrap the bacon around the pepper using toothpicks to hold in place. It's a good idea to place the toothpicks in a cup of water beforehand.
I place the peppers upright in a chili pepper grill rack and grill until the bacon is cooked.
When the bacon looks good, I remove the racks and let cool. As they cool off, I sprinkle some fresh cut basil leaves over the peppers.

The other way is leaving the tops on and cut an opening down the side of the pepper. Clean it out, put the paste in and carefully wrap the bacon around the opening so the paste does not ooze out. Use the toothpicks to hold the bacon in place and grill them on their sides, turning occasionally to cook the bacon. Again, once cool, sprinkle some basil on and serve.

The family prefers the second method because the bacon gets crispier. I prefer the first method because it's quicker and cooking them upright, they retain that special "essence". Can you say HOT :twisted: :twisted:
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
peppers
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

sans souliers

Post by sans souliers » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:12 pm

Duxelles -- Look up the recipe in the Larousse Gastronomique or on line elsewhere. Make this when you have some time, and refrigerate or freeze. Simple, but takes a little time.

A mixture of finely chopped button mushrooms, shallots and onions seasoned and cooked in a little olive oil and finished with butter after they've lost almost all their moisture. Keep an eye on the mixture - don't let it burn, but don't stop cooking too soon, either.

This mixture freezes well and can be used as a filling for hot puff pastries as an appetizer, spread warm on garlic toast as a late night snack (with Champagne, this is romance in the kitchen), as a filling for an omelette, or add a warm tablespoon on top of a finished steak still sizzling from the grill. Think gravy on a fork.

This spread will establish you as someone who's no slouch in the pantry, hands down. Try to remain modest when receiving praise.
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:00 am

Raybo wrote:After reading about the detrimental health effects of dairy consumption, I decided to stop eating yogurt for breakfast. In looking for an alternative "glop" to mix in with my fruit and nuts in the morning, I decided to try a concoction based on silken tofu.

For those not familiar with tofu, there are two kinds: Chinese and Japanese. The Chinese type comes in blocks and is the kind most people are familiar with. The Japanese kind comes in boxes usually (though is also comes in tubs) and has the consistency of a thick custard or yogurt.

I have used silken tofu to make non-dairy puddings (a killer chocolate mousse) and decided to try it. After several mixes, I gave up trying to mimic the taste of yogurt and switched to making something appealing. I added all the good tasting spices I like: chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, salt along with olive oil for smoothness and sweetener (a small bit of sugar with a packet of stevia). While this doesn't taste at all like yogurt, I rather like it and it mixes well with my apple, blueberries, walnuts and flax meal. I call it Tofurt. Most people think it tastes a bit chalky. I don't. But, then yogurt is an acquired taste which I no longer miss.

Here is the recipe:

14 oz box of Silken Tofu (firm or soft) -- Note that CostCo sells a dozen of these boxes at a good price.
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil (though I suspect any one would do if you find the taste of olive oil too strong)
1-2 teaspoons of cocoa powder
1+ teaspoons of vanilla
1 teaspoon sugar
1.5 packets of stevia
pinch of salt
a shake or two of cinnamon

whiz all this up in a food processor until it is smooth. It can be a bit thick. I thin it out by adding a couple ounces of soy milk as it whizzing.

Yogurt was the last consistent dairy product I was consuming and I have been (mostly) dairy free for about a year. Unfortunately, avoiding dairy products while dining out is close to impossible and I've decided that those are the times I can eat cheese and butter (ghee) if there isn't anything else that looks appetizing.
Raybo, that sounds great. But, since you were experimenting with it, what does it taste like if you eliminate the olive oil, sugar, stevia, and salt?

I make a smoothie by adding fresh bananas at the bottom, then the tofu, then 1/4 or 1/3 cup of semi-sweet Ghiradelli chocolate chips, 1/2 cup of chocolate almond milk, 2 Tbl each of cocoa, peanut butter powder, flaxseed, and chia seed, one large handful of fresh spinach, and ice cubes on the top -- then blend. In fact, this sounds so good just describing it to you, I am going to go make one now.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:42 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. Definitely got some stuff to try out.

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:26 pm

Cut extra firm tofu into finger sized pieces.
Sprinkle with 1 TB of brown sugar.
Fry on both sides in a little oil til browned.
Add some sliced shallots and sautee.
Pour in a mix of 2 TB spy, 2 TB lime juice and 2 tsp ground pepper. Toss and heat through.
Serve with white rice.

Old and young love this dish.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:30 pm

^
What exactly is tofu? I've never eaten it. What does it taste like? I'm open to anything though so I'll give this a try. Thanks.