Stopping unwanted "junk" newspaper

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
JBTX

Re: Stopping unwanted "junk" newspaper

Post by JBTX » Mon May 14, 2018 7:08 pm

Loaded4th wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 3:10 pm
protagonist wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:27 pm
This is the letter I sent:

"In 2010 I complained to you about unwanted promotional newspapers in plastic bags being thrown on my property. It took three phone calls and a letter to get it to stop.

All was fine until yesterday. Since then, two "free" copies of the Gazette in your plastic bags have been thrown into my driveway, one yesterday and one today.

I insist that you stop this practice immediately.

You are in violation of .... City Ordinance 272-3:

"No person shall put or place or cause to be put or placed in any street, lane, common, park, court, alley or other public place or on any private property in this City any dirt, filth, ashes, garbage, litter or rubbish of any description; or throw or distribute, or cause to be thrown or distributed therein, any playbill, poster, notice, advertisement or printed paper of any description or any advertising appliance or medium, excepting newspapers distributed to purchasers, except at such times as the Department of Public Works may request that any or all of the aforementioned articles be so deposited for removal by it as a part of its regular rubbish removal program. Violation of this section shall be punishable as set forth in Chapter40, Enforcement."

I am NOT a purchaser.

If it persists beyond tomorrow (Friday April 15), I will take the following actions:

1. I will complain every time a violation occurs to the ... city engineer and code enforcement officer.

2. I will contact the advertisers in your paper and inform them of my dissatisfaction.

To avoid further action, please make sure no more newspapers are thrown on my property.

(signed with name, address, phone number)."

This letter worked. I got an email response the next morning stating that they would no longer deliver the papers to my home.

Even if your city doesn't have a city ordinance such as this, in desperation you might try copying the letter above and sending it. Who knows? The bluff might work.

I inquired with our City as to restrictions on this and they replied with the following:

Constitutional protections on free speech preclude cities from prohibiting the distribution of flyers, circulars, newspapers or other forms of commercial or noncommercial advertisement.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that government can’t prohibit the distribution of literature just because it might cause litter. As recently as 2009, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against an Orange County City’s code aimed at leaflet litter because it hampered free speech.
By that logic I could make 500 copies of a piece of paper that says “please stop putting your ads on my lawn” and dropping those all over the ground in front of the sponsoring businesses.

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Mon May 14, 2018 7:37 pm

I too hated receiving these and always just tossed them in the trash.

They actually stopped some time ago, I can't remember exactly when.

I certainly do not miss them!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

AAA

Post by AAA » Mon May 14, 2018 7:47 pm

Our experience is that they stopped delivery when we asked.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon May 14, 2018 7:57 pm

My favorite anachronism is the phone book that shows up every year, like it's 1950. I have never had a landline in my house and I've lived here for 14 years.

celia

Post by celia » Mon May 14, 2018 8:13 pm

In our area, they are delivered by kids who earn some spending money. (AND we read them since they have interesting local news you don't find elsewhere!) Do you want to deprive some kid of his earnings? Since the turn-over of delivery kids is quite high, I don't see how the "do not deliver" message will make it to the correct current kid for your neighborhood. Even if it does, it is easy to forget when you have to watch out for traffic, hazards, potholes, etc, while riding your bike. Give them a break.

When you will be out of town, don't you arrange with a neighbor to pick up flyers off your porch and these newspapers? Then you should be willing to do the same for them, when they are gone.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Mon May 14, 2018 10:41 pm

StevieG72 wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 7:37 pm
I too hated receiving these and always just tossed them in the trash.

They actually stopped some time ago, I can't remember exactly when.

I certainly do not miss them!
Same thing happened here, they just stopped but I do see some from time to time in other neighbors driveways so I'm not sure what's going on. Funny thing is I switched from a propane grill to a charcoal grill and I could really use some newsprint to light the chimney.
If I am stupid I will pay.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Tue May 15, 2018 12:14 am

Loaded4th wrote:
I inquired with our City as to restrictions on this and they replied with the following:

Constitutional protections on free speech preclude cities from prohibiting the distribution of flyers, circulars, newspapers or other forms of commercial or noncommercial advertisement.

The U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that government can’t prohibit the distribution of literature just because it might cause litter. As recently as 2009, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled against an Orange County City’s code aimed at leaflet litter because it hampered free speech.
That is basically what the city attorney told me in my former home town. See

viewtopic.php?p=2871370#p2870980

If they hadn’t stopped for some other reason, I might have expressed my own freedom of speech by dumping shredded copies of their papers at their local offices.

mouses

Post by mouses » Tue May 15, 2018 6:27 am

I had no luck stopping these until I wrote to the big cheese manager of the newspaper, in detail about the litter, the many facebook complaints about this from neighbors, the impossibility of stopping them on request. I mentioned that it made the house a target for burglary as they piled up when I was away. That letter worked.

What I have been unable to stop are the RedPlum shopping newspapers and the local town magazine that show up in my mailbox. RedPlum removed me from their list, but the post office delivers it anyway.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue May 15, 2018 6:51 am

So some of these responses are humorous and assume facts that are incorrect.

Having helped out my son last summer on big delivery days when our Subaru was completely filled....including the front seat and floor and piled on the dash board.......

1) Dumping papers on the nicest car of the newspaper will do nothing. In our region (Boston west), the newspaper is in Boston. Printing is done in Taunton. Last summer, the local delivery contractor was in Framingham. So the guy with the nice car will have zero connection to your problem.

2) I expect every address is on a list. Carriers aren't just told to cover every house. They're paid by paper delivered. They WILL have a route to cover and notes will tell them things about specific deliveries (leave on front step...put in tube...put in front of garage). This could be done by the newspaper who will filter it to the distributor. Whether the deliver person does what you want depends on if they look.

3) If you really, really don't want papers, get up early. When the paper delivery person comes, flag them down. Tell them you want no deliveries. That should stop them however if there's turnover (which happens a lot), they might start again. I suppose you could put a sign in front saying "no newspaper deliveries please" and hope that the delivery person can read your language (which may not be the case).

4) In your area, it might be "Leave it to Beaver" where the "boy" delivers papers. Out in my suburbs, a 250 house route is NOT going to be covered by some kid on a bike. It'll likely be a guy with an Uber sticker on the car (very common on cars at my son's warehouse).
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue May 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Loaded4th wrote:
protagonist wrote:

"In 2010 I complained to you about unwanted promotional newspapers in plastic bags being thrown on my property. It took three phone calls and a letter to get it to stop.

All was fine until yesterday. Since then, two "free" copies of the Gazette in your plastic bags have been thrown into my driveway, one yesterday and one today.

"No person shall put or place or cause to be put or placed in any street, lane, common, park, court, alley or other public place or on any private property in this City any dirt, filth, ashes, garbage, litter or rubbish of any description; or throw or distribute, or cause to be thrown or distributed therein, any playbill, poster, notice, advertisement or printed paper of any description or any advertising appliance or medium, excepting newspapers distributed to purchasers, except at such times as the Department of Public Works may request that any or all of the aforementioned articles be so deposited for removal by it as a part of its regular rubbish removal program. Violation of this section shall be punishable as set forth in Chapter40, Enforcement."

I am NOT a purchaser.

If it persists beyond tomorrow (Friday April 15), I will take the following actions:

1. I will complain every time a violation occurs to the ... city engineer and code enforcement officer.

2. I will contact the advertisers in your paper and inform them of my dissatisfaction.

To avoid further action, please make sure no more newspapers are thrown on my property.

This letter worked. I got an email response the next morning stating that they would no longer deliver the papers to my home.

Even if your city doesn't have a city ordinance such as this, in desperation you might try copying the letter above and sending it. Who knows? The bluff might work.

Perhaps. But it worked.
Two years later, I have not received another newspaper.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Tue May 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Loaded4th wrote:
protagonist wrote:

I am NOT a purchaser.

Perhaps. But it worked.
Two years later, I have not received another newspaper.