Elio Car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jay69

Elio Car

Post by Jay69 »

I know how Bogleheads enjoy cars, anybody looking at one of these?

http://www.eliomotors.com/

Made in America
84mpg
$6,800

I will admit it does look interesting, Spam in a can?

A neat video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ge1ZGi1bTQ
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
Slowmaha

Re: Elio Car

Post by Slowmaha »

I've been doing some research on these for awhile.. Looks like they locked in a factory in LA (Louisiana, not Los Angeles). Who knows when they'll be cranking them out but I'm definitely interested. For those of us who commute most of the time one of these makes a lot of sense. I've seen some arguments that you'd need a motorcycle license but in general I think that is inaccurate. It will probably vary state by state.

Bottom line.. Very interested.. one big car for the family, one little commuter to commute.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Cool looking car. As the owner of a small car (Lotus Elise.......a Nissan 350Z looks like an SUV to me when I'm driving), you MUST drive one of these like a motorcycle. The soccer mom in her Escalade on the interstate yakking to her friend while checking facetube on the tablet, drinking her coffee and trying to reach the muffin will squish you if you don't anticipate.

In Massachusetts, this is a motorcycle. I have a motorcycle license but would have no real interest in wearing a required helmet in one of these things. It's cool that the mileage is so high. It's sort of a motorcycle with weather protection in my mind. They could get around the motorcycle requirement by using 2 very skinny rear tires instead of 1. I expect that crash protection standards might also be the reason for making it a motorcycle vehicle. There are none.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Slowmaha

Post by Slowmaha »

It supposedly has a 5 star crash rating so a motorcycle helmet seems very redundant.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

I'd probably buy one if they became available. However, there are some pretty good reasons why it's rare for a new car manufacturer to be successful, and those that are usually start at the high end instead of the bottom of the low end.

http://gas2.org/2013/08/16/financials-s ... na-happen/
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I suspect it's going to be vaporware. I honestly don't know much about this company, but have seen several of these similar well-funded trike/cars vanish completely in the past 5 years after getting a fair amount of press and awards. (Like the Aptera , just one of many.)

Would otherwise love to see it happen in reality.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

5 states require a helmet for everyone.

another 12 states require a helmet until 18 or 21.
Milano

Post by Milano »

lightheir wrote:I suspect it's going to be vaporware. I honestly don't know much about this company, but have seen several of these similar well-funded trike/cars vanish completely in the past 5 years after getting a fair amount of press and awards. (Like the Aptera , just one of many.)

Would otherwise love to see it happen in reality.

There was the Aptera:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptera_Motors

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptera_Motors

Apologies for the bad formatting above.

Similar, better design. It also evaporated.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

84 mph on the highway but i wouldn't take this on the highway. 49 in town.

assuming it gets made, and assuming they hold to the $6,800 price point (both of which are pretty big assumptions) it might be interesting as a second car to go to the grocery store, etc.

the video says its an ideal car for the teen with a new license. i disagree with that statement 100%.

i heard about this car recently when someone called the clark howard show and asked about it. years ago clark drove a 3 wheel car as his daily driver for a couple years.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

From my understanding they will hit the market in 2015, time will tell.
tyrion

Post by tyrion »

I don't know that I'd buy one, but I would consider one. It's appealing as an inexpensive commuter car.

I can see families owning one if someone has a long commute. Keep one traditional car for hauling kids and 'stuff' around. Then one efficient car (which could be Elio, electric Leaf, etc) for commuting.

I doubt it would be eligible for carpool lanes, but that would definitely help 'sell' it as a commuter car.
newindexer

Post by newindexer »

I'd certainly purchase one if they can make it happen. I believe the 5-star rating is "anticipated." I'm not sure what to think about their reservation program, but I'm tempted to jump in as I see this is a perfect commuter vehicle (which I really need). The entire idea is something I could really get behind... inexpensive, easy to maintain, made in America. Hope they make it!
Slowmaha

Post by Slowmaha »

My state is one with the stupid helmet law. :annoyed

http://www.eliomotors.com/wp-content/up ... etlaws.pdf
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

My Chevy Spark is as low as I go.
All the Best, | Joe
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

The Tata Nano seems like a more practical design to me ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tata_Nano

The extra wheel can add useful stability as this video of one of the most successful 3-wheelers shows ...(warning - funny :D )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQh56geU0X8

One problem with mini-cars in these parts is the propensity people seem to have to tip other peoples mini-cars over
http://gizmodo.com/smart-car-tipping-an ... 1560469631
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

Jay69 wrote:I know how Bogleheads enjoy cars, anybody looking at one of these?

Made in America
84mpg
$6,800

In the past twenty years, there have been perhaps a dozen if these "cars" developed. They generally sell about 1000 before they discontinue production as the novelty of the vehicle wears off quickly.

Clark Howard, a consumer advocate on WSB-AM Atlanta has purchased several over the years and has done some reviews on them on his website.
jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL »

jlawrence01 wrote:
Clark Howard, a consumer advocate on WSB-AM Atlanta has purchased several over the years and has done some reviews on them on his website.
...But Clark admits he buys them for the novelty and to avoid using foreign oil, and that that they don't really save any money ... just like his current Nissan Leaf and Tesla S.

jimb
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

jimb_fromATL wrote:
jlawrence01 wrote:
...But Clark admits he buys them for the novelty and to avoid using foreign oil, and that that they don't really save any money ... just like his current Nissan Leaf and Tesla S.

jimb
Clark Howard did mention that with the current heavily subsidized leases (2k down, 198/month ? ) the Leaf can be about the cheapest vehicle to drive for someone with the correct driving requirements. Interesting since he's generally extremely anti-leasing of cars.
jimb_fromATL

Post by jimb_fromATL »

I've been following those kinds of vehicles for years. Like many, it's not really a car, it's a three-wheel enclosed motorcycle.

IMO It's an interesting novelty and dream, and appears to be more viable than some if it ever gets into production. But in reality I just don't see how it can possibly deliver what they promise for gas mileage, or sell at that price. As others have mentioned here, there have been quite a few hopes for small vehicles that haven't really survived the dream stage, and I suspect that is likely to be another one of 'em.

At least -- if it ever gets to the street-- it will be licensed as a motorcycle that can keep up with traffic and be driven/ridden on most highways, unlike some of the previous failed vehicles that qualified only in the scooter/moped class that are not allowed on major highways where they can't go the minimum speed limits.

A few more observations:

If the frame and roll cage shown in some of their pictures is the actual vehicle, there's no way it's going to be light enough get the 84mpg they claim. The streamlining is not going to make up for the extra weight and the rolling resistance and wind resistance of three wide tires compared to two in-line, narrow motorcycle tires, and it's not really going to have much less wind resistance than something like a Honda Goldwing motorcycle -- which reports indicate for most people averages in the range of 38-40 mpg with highs mostly less than 50 mpg.

For comparison, a while back I got 46-47 mpg on at total of four 350 mile one-way trips at highway speeds in hilly country in both a Ford Fiesta and a Ford Focus with their new automatic straight drive transmissions. Averages including in-town driving for about 1600 miles in each car were about 37-38 mpg. And we get expect to get 35+ mpg in our 4-cylinder Camry LE when it's all highway non-stop driving. I'd bet that if they really measured 84 mpg with a prototype, it was on a flat test track or road and no more than 20-30 mph for a few miles ... not real highways at highway speeds for long distances.

Plus, if it's really going to be that robust, there's no way they can build it and sell it at a profit for $6800. I wonder if they can even build it for that. In such small quantities as they'll sell, I doubt that it can be sold for less than $10K or more in order for the company to keep their doors open.

I'd guess the Elio would be more comfortable than a motorcycle and safer in a crash, but even the tiny cars like the Ford Fiesta, Spark, Fiat 500, SmartCar, Mazda2, Scion IQ, etc would be safer and far much more luxurious vehicles by comparison ... and are capable of carrying at least some luggage and in some cases 3 or 4 people.

As for the 5-start crash rating, they're probably not going to be able to afford the hundreds of thousands to have it tested as a car. The crash test costs would be far too much of the cost of developing it. I think that's a pipe dream. A big reason a lot of Asian and European cars were not --and still are not-- brought into the US is because those little cars that sell in millions in other countries would not be profitable enough to bring up to US crash and handling requirements. (The SmartCar is one example of a car that was not brought to the US for several years because of those reasons.)

With gas prices so high, more manufactures are now beefing up some more of their European/Asian models to bring over to help meet the CAFE requirements. They don't have to buy a start-up company when all they have to do is modify their existing models that are already in production. Plus, they need real cars, not motorcycles, to use in their CAFE averages.

As for the warranty, there's not going to be a real dealer network. Chances are any break-down or problem would cost days if not weeks of down-time, because the motorcycle dealers or new and used car dealers who add it to their sales line-up and sell maybe a handful a year are not going to stock parts for it ... or have any training on it.

jimb
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

You all are right this is not a first, I recall this one from when I was a kid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HM_Vehicles_Free-way

They used to have one in Minnesota History Center, not sure if they still have it or not.
jimb_fromATL

Post by jimb_fromATL »

Jay69 wrote:You all are right this is not a first, I recall this one from when I was a kid.
The Freeway was the first cycle-car Clark Howard owned. As I understand it, he drove it a couple of years before it broke down … and I think I recall that he eventually gave it away.

I've often wondered if the folks who keep coming up with their "revolutionary" cycle cars have ever seen, or done any research about all the cycle-cars from the past and that are already in use in foreign countries.

The Elio looks like uncannily like a modernized and streamlined version of the Messerschmidt Kabininroller.

Among other motorcycle powered “cars” of the past are the BMW Isetta and the much more car-like 4-passenger NSU Prinz . That looks like a BMW Isetta to the right of the Freeway in that picture. Can't get more prestigious than driving a Bimmer -- right?

In the 50’s and 60’s all three of these were imported and sold in the US, but never in large quantities. I’ve known people who owned—and I have driven the Isetta and NSU Prinz, Original Fiat 500 and the much more powerful 600. Never got past sitting in a Messerschmidt. It just wasn’t viable to replace a car.

In the early 60's before I was drafted I bought, repaired, rebuilt, drove, and sold several Renault 4CVs which at 1300-1400 lbs and with water cooled 4 cylinder engines were real 4-passenger cars. Though still deathtraps by today’s standards, they were safer than motorcycles in most crashes, and much bigger and more comfortable by comparison to the cycle cars. I also owned two souped-up 4CVs that I used to stalk Volkswagens and a lot of other cars at stoplights. Their top speed was 90 MPH, limited by gearing and valve bounce, which was still enough to outrun the 36 and 40 HP VWs of the day.

jimb
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I love the concept, but it sounds like a work in progress. I hope it is a resounding success.

Personally, I would never buy a car by an independent the first year it is released. I would wait a few years for them to work out the bugs and to get reliable reviews and repair records. I feel the same way about the Tesla for which people in these forums are eagerly shelling out over $100K. I remember those who shelled out over $300/ticket to scalpers to catch the first "Star Wars" prequel on opening night- I can only imagine their letdown when they came to the realization that they paid $300 for bragging rights of being the first people to discover Jar Jar Binks.

I think Click and Clack nail it here. They usually do. http://www.cartalk.com/blogs/jim-motava ... production
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

jimb_fromATL wrote:[The Elio looks like uncannily like a modernized and streamlined version of the Messerschmidt Kabininroller.
jimb
I would love to have one of those, its so future looking! Could you the looks you would get with one of those!

Edit: Had to look more into this car, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_KR200 I love the controls, being produced from an aircraft company you have to love the controls.
Arak_Lea

Post by Arak_Lea »

I'm done research on these cars since about 1980. Even built something like it. I sat in the P3 and wrote a review on it. The vehicle is a front wheel drive reverse trike layout with inline seating. The handling on the Elio will be very much like any front wheel drive car. Except the traction in the snow or gravel should be a bit better, given 65% of the overall tire tread has power on it.
Arak_Lea

Post by Arak_Lea »

Oh about mileage, I did research on 110mpg cars in the 80's, (WWU, Vehicle Research Institute ). Ours were side-by-side seaters sort of like a Miata configuration. These even competed in the Automotive Xprise a couple years back. If you get the weight down, and the aerodynamics right, including the underside, 84mpg is more than possible. The one I'm building in my garage should well exceed 120mpg. In fact a well known mod of the Geo Metro is known to get 95mpg. If you want to see mine look at /ArakLea on facebook.

Then of course look at the 317mpg 1Liter VW(google it). Then dream on what IS possible.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Arak_Lea wrote:Then of course look at the 317mpg 1Liter VW(google it). Then dream on what IS possible.
Assume you are talking about the XL1 diesel hybrid. From all the tests I've seen, 200mpg is more realistic on a real road but it is a phenomenal machine. I do completely agree that 80+ highway is definitely doable; previous poster discussed a Honda Goldwing, which actually has a higher CD and significantly larger and higher revving powerplant so I am not sure how that is relevant at all. There are numerous conventional cars right now, with larger engines and 1000+lbs. on the Elio which are more efficient than a Goldwing on the highway. The original Honda insight was EPA rated at 70mpg highway (and could do even better with some hypermilling techniques) with a higher CD and ~600lbs. more weight than the Elio.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Jay69 wrote:
jimb_fromATL wrote:[The Elio looks like uncannily like a modernized and streamlined version of the Messerschmidt Kabininroller.
jimb
I would love to have one of those, its so future looking! Could you the looks you would get with one of those!

Edit: Had to look more into this car, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Messerschmitt_KR200 I love the controls, being produced from an aircraft company you have to love the controls.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Other-Makes-KR2 ... ars_Trucks
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

My life is worth more than 84 miles per gallon!

JT
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bottlecap wrote:My life is worth more than 84 miles per gallon!

JT
But is it worth more than $6800? Be willing to bet the Elio is "safer" than a lot of cars we drive already by pretty much any metric and certainly safer than any motorcycle.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

stoptothink wrote:
bottlecap wrote:My life is worth more than 84 miles per gallon!

JT
But is it worth more than $6800? Be willing to bet the Elio is "safer" than a lot of cars we drive already by pretty much any metric and certainly safer than any motorcycle.
Anything is safer than a motorcycle, so that's not saying much. There is no way you will ever get me to believe something with a ground weight of less than 1,500 lbs safer than "a lot" of cars by "pretty much any metric" unless a force field comes standard.

Sorry!

JT
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

seems unrealistic to me but if it materializes as advertised (especially safety) I'd buy. Probably save me $6800 in gas within the first 3 years.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

miles monroe wrote:
the video says its an ideal car for the teen with a new license. i disagree with that statement 100%.
Absolutely. Young drivers especially male (testosterone) are far more likely to make mistakes. For example the stat I saw showed that most people killed on the roads are killed as a result of actions by male drivers under 40.

One wouldn't want to assert that therefore they should only drive SUVs. That brings other vehicle control and safety issues. But young men (especially) should be drivers of boring econocars and dull middle class sedans. Good basic safety and not too much performance.

I can assert that high performance sports cars should be reserved for men over 50, who are the only people who know how to drive them and will also benefit from the psychological benefits of ownership ;-).
Last edited by Valuethinker on Wed Jun 04, 2014 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Jay69 wrote:I know how Bogleheads enjoy cars, anybody looking at one of these?

Made in America
84mpg
$6,800

America is the land of the big SUV. If something hit you, it's hard to see how you are going to survive this? Maybe I don't understand the safety arrangements?

I believe that we will move to smaller lightweight electric urban commuter vehicles. The logic is utterly compelling: why waste valuable urban roadspace (and clean air) on vehicles where we are using a 10th of their power and usual 1/4 of their carrying capacity?

http://www.goingreen.co.uk/e-cars/g-wiz/

made in India. There are a few thousand in the UK mostly in London. I have seen them carry 2 adults and 2 not quite full sized young teenagers-- they carry an amazing amount for such a small package.

However the G-wiz meets the safety rules for an 'enclosed motorbike'. Even at relatively low London speeds, and no real highways in town, if a lorry (truck) hits you, you are going to be toast.
lululu

Post by lululu »

Slowmaha wrote:My state is one with the stupid helmet law. :annoyed

Is "stupid" no helmet required or helmet required?
Slowmaha

Post by Slowmaha »

lululu wrote:
Slowmaha wrote:My state is one with the stupid helmet law. :annoyed

Is "stupid" no helmet required or helmet required?
"stupid" is being mandated to wear the helmet, though I would argue it is a smart practice.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

Valuethinker wrote:
miles monroe wrote:
Absolutely. Young drivers especially male (testosterone) are far more likely to make mistakes. For example the stat I saw showed that most people killed on the roads are killed as a result of actions by male drivers under 40.

One wouldn't want to assert that therefore they should only drive SUVs. That brings other vehicle control and safety issues. But young men (especially) should be drivers of boring econocars and dull middle class sedans. Good basic safety and not too much performance.
I disagree with this. Young male drivers should be driving underpowered lightweights so they are less likely to do damage other people and road side property when they make mistakes. I'd favor a mandatory 20,000 miles on a bicycle before turning them loose with an engine. This would not only save everybody else, but probably also save the young men, since single vehicle fatal accidents are very common and it takes unusual talent or bad luck to manage one on a bike.

Seriously far too much crash prevention research only pays attention to the driver, ignoring everybody else. This almost certainly leaves the world as a whole worse off.
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Instead of buying the car, what about investing for $15,000?

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 52439.html
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Epsilon Delta wrote:
Valuethinker wrote:
miles monroe wrote:

I disagree with this. Young male drivers should be driving underpowered lightweights so they are less likely to do damage other people and road side property when they make mistakes. I'd favor a mandatory 20,000 miles on a bicycle before turning them loose with an engine. This would not only save everybody else, but probably also save the young men, since single vehicle fatal accidents are very common and it takes unusual talent or bad luck to manage one on a bike.

Seriously far too much crash prevention research only pays attention to the driver, ignoring everybody else. This almost certainly leaves the world as a whole worse off.
I personally favor having all drivers under age 30 being required to drive cars with a regulator that inhibits them from driving faster than 60mph. I'm not too much older than that and I know how reckless young invincible males feel they are having been there myself (and I was a VERY conservative driver compared my peers!)

Alas, this concept will be certainly rendered obsolete by the future self-driving cars that are coming our way.
roflwaffle

Post by roflwaffle »

bottlecap wrote:Anything is safer than a motorcycle, so that's not saying much. There is no way you will ever get me to believe something with a ground weight of less than 1,500 lbs safer than "a lot" of cars by "pretty much any metric" unless a force field comes standard.

Sorry!

JT
It's not that it's strictly speaking safer in a crash test, but that a driver's safety depends on their driving habits much more than on the safety rating of their vehicle. At the same time, crash ratings only loosely correlate with weight. My 2000 Honda Insight has the same crash ratings as a 2000 Acura TL even though it's half the weight. It depends on the car really, but the connections most people make between weight and vehicle safety aren't evidence based in many cases.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

It's only 10X my 49cc TaoTao which gets about 80mpg. I haven't ridden it this year, still too cold. May tomorrow when we hit high 60's.

Looks a bit more weather resistant and safer than my TaoTao. :annoyed

But I need a 40hp farm tractor with bucket and frailer before I get a vehicle. :annoyed
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

miles monroe wrote:5 states require a helmet for everyone.

another 12 states require a helmet until 18 or 21.
I have this sneaking suspicion that states that don't require a helmet are thinking about the shortage of organs for donation. Nothing like having brain dead healthy functioning young bodies ;-).
4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee »

I'd rather drive an Organic Transit Elf.
Pale Blue Dot
Slowmaha

Post by Slowmaha »

Those are pretty cool.. But also pretty steep :moneybag for a supped up tricycle.. $5K+... C'mon!
jhfenton

Post by jhfenton »

Slowmaha wrote:Those are pretty cool.. But also pretty steep :moneybag for a supped up tricycle.. $5K+... C'mon!
You haven't shopped for motorcycles (i.e. souped-up bicycles), have you? :happy
Slowmaha

Post by Slowmaha »

jhfenton wrote:
Slowmaha wrote:Those are pretty cool.. But also pretty steep :moneybag for a supped up tricycle.. $5K+... C'mon!
You haven't shopped for motorcycles (i.e. souped-up bicycles), have you? :happy

Mmm.. Touché'..
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

That 15k "private investment" Elio has started pushing recently seems a little scammish perhaps? Hard to believe the target $6.8k sales price relative to other simpler (not enclosed/no AC, etc) 3-wheel vehicles such as the Bombardier Can-am, Polaris Slingshot, etc. which are made by large industrial companies who are good at manufacturing yet cost a lot more (> $20k).
toto238

Post by toto238 »

hicabob wrote:That 15k "private investment" Elio has started pushing recently seems a little scammish perhaps? Hard to believe the target $6.8k sales price relative to other simpler (not enclosed/no AC, etc) 3-wheel vehicles such as the Bombardier Can-am, Polaris Slingshot, etc. which are made by large industrial companies who are good at manufacturing yet cost a lot more (> $20k).
Everything I see about Elio tells me that they are very much sincere and want this to happen. It doesn't come across to me as a "scam". But it does come across to me as a very high-risk investment. Anything you put in is most likely to come out worth zero. But I really do hope they succeed as this type of vehicle would be a perfect commuter car for me.

Considering how much work they are putting into trying to get state laws updated across the country, and the success they are meeting, I have to think they have a decent chance of getting the Department of Energy to give them a loan of some kind. Between that, this fundraiser, continued reservations, the sale of the old factory equipment, and the bringing on of more large investors, they could very well meet their financing goals.

Honestly, the "early 2016" promise is seeming a bit suspect to me. I don't think they're close enough. Late 2016 seems optimistic if everything goes right between now and then. 2017 or later is more likely.
dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir »

Looks to be getting closer
http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobiles/t ... 7000.html/

The new engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlM5jWOnDO8

I do hope this guy makes a go of it.
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-