Need advice on Roof damage and Homeowners Insurance

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Bustoff

Need advice on Roof damage and Homeowners Insurance

Post by Bustoff » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:59 am

Is my homeowners insurance company trying to hose me?

Here's the situation.
Recently, high winds blew off several rows shingles but only on one slope of our roof. The roof is about 14 years old. Our homeowners insurance said they would pay to replace the shingles on that entire slope. The problem is that the current asphalt shingles are 14 years old so the rest of the roof is unlikely to match new shingles. I asked them if they would consider replacing the entire roof because of the mismatching issue.
They said, NO ... they won't pay to replace the remaining areas of the roof since those areas were not damaged.

Does that sound right?
Have any of you run into this situation?

Thanks

jbmitt

Re: Need advice on Roof damage and Homeowners Insurance

Post by jbmitt » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:04 am

I'm an adjuster for a specialty carrier. I'll generally match for line of sight/sight lines if I cannot justify replacing a full slope. Matching statutes are state by state specific.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:11 am

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:15 am

jbmitt wrote:I'm an adjuster for a specialty carrier. I'll generally match for line of sight/sight lines if I cannot justify replacing a full slope. Matching statutes are state by state specific.

Thanks jbmitt ... what does that mean ? sight/sight lines ?

Jay69

Post by Jay69 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:34 am

Bustoff wrote:
jbmitt wrote:I'm an adjuster for a specialty carrier. I'll generally match for line of sight/sight lines if I cannot justify replacing a full slope. Matching statutes are state by state specific.

Thanks jbmitt ... what does that mean ? sight/sight lines ?

I'm not jbmitt but generally as an example if you are standing on the road in front of your house and you can see both sides front/back of the roof (via line of sight) they would replace both sides.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein

August

Post by August » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:49 am

I second what JBMitt said. I also handle storm claims for a large insurance company. There are only a handful of states that include a matching provision in the state statutes. A 14 year old roof (assuming 20-25 year composition shingles) is nearing the end of its useful life, you may be better off biting the bullet and replacing the other half of the roof.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:27 pm

OK thanks ... just wanted to make sure the insurance company is being fair.