Need Ear Bud Recommendation

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LifeIsGood

Need Ear Bud Recommendation

Post by LifeIsGood » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:38 am

I listen to podcasts while riding my bike (non-motorized). I have some ear buds that fit rather well but wind noise makes listening almost impossible unless the volume is at a deafening level. Has anyone found a brand of ear buds that might solve my problem?

Kenkat

Re: Need Ear Bud Recommendation

Post by Kenkat » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:56 am

I have a pair of these - good sound and they are angled to fit snugly in the ear, with 3 different size tips to best fit your ear:

Panasonic RPHJE120K In-Ear Headphone, Black

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-RPHJE12 ... B003EM8008

linuxology

Post by linuxology » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:37 am

MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6- These are for sports and wires loop over the ear and feel they are quite solid and sound good. http://www.amazon.com/MEElectronics-Spo ... tronics+m6

Post by 123 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:02 am

I also have to cast my vote for Panasonic RPHJE120K In-Ear Headphone, Black. I've been using a pair for about 6 months. The illustrations I've seen for the product don't show that the part that goes in the ear is angled a bit so they seem to stay in better. Of course that feature is somewhat covered by the earpieces in the illustrations.

I use them for exactly the same purpose, listening to podcasts while casually biking, often 90 minutes a day for 5 or more days a week. They are not a complete solution to the wind noise issue but, for me, they stay in the ears. For under $10 they are good enough for me. There are a number of ear buds that cost anywhere from $30 to $100+ but I don't think they're going to fundamentally provide a much better experience in a windy environment. It probably all comes down to individual variations and how well the ear buds fit your ears.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

davebarnes

More info

Post by davebarnes » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:11 am

A nerd living in Denver

Ketawa

Post by Ketawa » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:40 am

Skullcandy 50/50 earbuds work really well for me. Another nice thing is they have a lifetime warranty. My earbuds inevitably stop working correctly since I wear them working out. The headphone jack gets messed up, or the in-line controls stop working correctly. Skullcandy makes it easy to replace them for free. I have replaced them 3 or 4 times using the lifetime warranty.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:45 am

I do a lot of bike riding and listen to both music and audio books while riding. I used to use the flat ear buds that came with my iPhone. But, they didn't fit into my ears very well and I had the same wind noise problem you do. I tried acoustic conduction (through the bones near the ear) headphones, which worked but weren't quite ready for prime time, in my opinion (here is my review).

What I use now is a single ear bud that plays both channels, what we used to call monaural. It has a point that I can jam into my ear and cuts out most of the road noise and greatly diminishes the wind noise. It also leaves my road-side ear open to hear cars and other vehicles coming up behind me. For me, it is the best of both worlds. I wrote a review of the brand I use: One Good Earbud, if you are interested.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

MP173

Post by MP173 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:10 am

I use the ear buds on my mobile phone for hands free since I am driving quite a bit.

Skull Candy have a good product, but I typically buy what is relatively inexpensive. A pair will usually last about 3 months for me as the usage is daily and in a number of environmental conditions. Often, I will damage the ear buds by snagging on something, falling out the car when exiting, dropping between seats in the car, etc. Thus, I buy cheap and know replacements will be needed.

Ed

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:56 am

Thanks for all the feedback. I ended up ordering the MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6. I'll let you know if they're a significant improvement over my Sony's.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:32 am

Anybody use the noise-cancelling earbuds? Sony has them. It would seem to me that wind noise would be reasonably monotonic and constant thus lending itself to noise cancellation.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

LifeIsGood

Update

Post by LifeIsGood » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:22 am

I've had a few rides with my MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6 earbuds. Definitely an improvement. Wind noise is still present but greatly reduced. One other bonus is that the fidelity on these earbuds is much better than my old pair. Thanks Linuxology for the recommendation. Bogleheads come through again.

GeauxBR

Post by GeauxBR » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:49 am

http://www.amazon.com/JayBird-BlueBuds- ... B00AIRUOI8

Jaybird Bluebuds X and some comply foam tips work great. Use them daily.

pancake19

Post by pancake19 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:07 am

not to throw off the thread but i own high end sound isolating earbuds and actually don't wear them when i ride. don't you find it unsafe to block out the external noise if you are on the road? maybe it depends where / when you ride.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:23 am

pancake19 wrote:not to throw off the thread but i own high end sound isolating earbuds and actually don't wear them when i ride. don't you find it unsafe to block out the external noise if you are on the road? maybe it depends where / when you ride.
This is why I only use one ear bud in my right (non-car side) ear. It can be distracting, but so is daydreaming!
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

supertreat

Post by supertreat » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:42 am

I think as a percentage of the cost- I've wasted more money on earbuds than anything else. I find that when running or doing any sports I want to be able to hear- so noise isolating are a no go due to safety concern- also the noise isolating causes a thumping every time i foot strike when running which actually makes it more difficult to hear for me. I find the 7$ ear buds from walmart work fine for me with no issues.
Assets - Liabilities = Equity + (Income - Expenses)

Crimsontide

Re: Update

Post by Crimsontide » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:15 pm

LifeIsGood wrote:I've had a few rides with my MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6 earbuds. Definitely an improvement. Wind noise is still present but greatly reduced. One other bonus is that the fidelity on these earbuds is much better than my old pair. Thanks Linuxology for the recommendation. Bogleheads come through again.
Just bought a pair of these with an Amazon gift card. Hope they're good.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:36 pm

Crimsontide wrote:
LifeIsGood wrote:I've had a few rides with my MEElectronics Sport-Fi M6 earbuds. Definitely an improvement. Wind noise is still present but greatly reduced. One other bonus is that the fidelity on these earbuds is much better than my old pair. Thanks Linuxology for the recommendation. Bogleheads come through again.
I bought those just a few months ago when they were a mere $15. I use them for running. They're good. Comes with a nice case and a lot of earbud sizes to get the right fit. You do have to fiddle with the over-the-ear deformable wire to get the right fit, but once you get the fit, it stays in much more stably and comfortably than normal earphones. Very solid for the price, even at its current price point. (Was a steal at $15)

TFinator

Post by TFinator » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:52 pm

pancake19 wrote:This is why I only use one ear bud in my right (non-car side) ear. It can be distracting, but so is daydreaming!
Indeed. Whether on or off road, please just use one earbud - likely on the right. This is for your safety and the safety of every one else.

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:01 pm

I use these for walking outdoors. They don't particularly cut down external noise, but I don't get a lot of wind noise when I walk :D

http://www.lg.com/us/cell-phone-accesso ... BS700-tone

I use these for walking on the treadmill. They use active noise cancelling and they actually do work. They work so well that I think it would be irresponsible of me (or anyone else) to recommend using them while riding a bike, especially on the road in traffic.

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/sho ... iant=qc20i

I don't do any bike riding currently, but I have ridden 10s of thousands of miles in the past, so I do have a good amount of experience with long distance biking.

Like other posters have mentioned, I would be very careful wearing earbuds/earphones while riding a bike, especially on the road. If the question were "Should I wear earbuds/earphones while riding a bike?", my answer would be "In my opinion, no". I would especially never recommend wearing noise cancelling earbuds/earphones while riding a bike.

For completeness, I will make the same recommendation that I make to anyone that asks me anything about riding a bike. Please wear a helmet.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:09 pm

wageoghe wrote:Like other posters have mentioned, I would be very careful wearing earbuds/earphones while riding a bike, especially on the road. If the question were "Should I wear earbuds/earphones while riding a bike?", my answer would be "In my opinion, no". I would especially never recommend wearing noise cancelling earbuds/earphones while riding a bike.
My hearing has saved my life on my bike more than once. I don't even like riding behind others wearing earbuds -- they can't hear me when I start to pass.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

nerdymarketer

Post by nerdymarketer » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:46 pm

Etymotic HF-5's + Comply tips were rated among the most noise insulating by a guy who's reviewed 200+ earbud style headphones:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 3-14-p-894

I've got two pair, one I leave at work and one for home and the fidelity + noise insulation is amazing. A bit spendy, so I buy them on Amazon Warehouse deals because it's only $80 for a pair that's been used once or twice. $15 for 8 comply tips and they're as good as new.

Definitely not the cheapest, but well worth every penny since I use them all the time while working.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:33 pm

As long as we are recommending safety equipment for bicycles, I would never ride a bike without a rear view mirror. I wear a helmet, but it is only good for after I fall off. The mirror is, by far, the most important piece of safety equipment on a bicycle, except for the brakes, maybe.

In my opinion, a rider wearing a single earbud with a rearview mirror is much safer than someone without either.

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:36 pm

I hope you are riding where there is not a lot of car traffic. IMHO wearing ear buds while biking is unsafe if you cannot hear cars coming behind you.

DiscoBunny1979

Post by DiscoBunny1979 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:43 pm

When did it all of a sudden become "OK" to ride a bicycle or drive a car with both ears attached to a headset device? As far as I know where I live, California, it is still illegal to drive a car or ride a bicycle by having your ears covered with any kind of headphone or earbuds. Where does the OP live that it is ok? In my opinion, driving anything while covering your ears is just as bad, if not worse than texting. My two sense. So, while I do have a great pair of earphones, I won't list them here if the result would be putting one's life in danger.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:04 pm

DiscoBunny1979 wrote:When did it all of a sudden become "OK" to ride a bicycle or drive a car with both ears attached to a headset device? As far as I know where I live, California, it is still illegal to drive a car or ride a bicycle by having your ears covered with any kind of headphone or earbuds. Where does the OP live that it is ok? In my opinion, driving anything while covering your ears is just as bad, if not worse than texting. My two sense. So, while I do have a great pair of earphones, I won't list them here if the result would be putting one's life in danger.
There are only a few states where it is illegal (I think only California and Florida to date), and those laws were passed within the last handful of years. It isn't in Texas, Utah, or Arizona and I've ridden countless thousands of miles in the most congested cities of all three (as well as California). I have ridden tens of thousands of miles on bikes the past 15yrs, even commuted exclusively by bike for nearly two years in downtown Houston, and a lot of those miles were with headphones. I've been hit once by a car and I was not wearing headphones, and it was totally on purpose (right across the street from a parked cop who was watching; guy was arrested on the spot). Follow traffic laws, be aware of your surroundings, and ride defensively. There is obviously some inherent danger by diverting your attention to something other than the road, but IMO it's no more dangerous than blasting your car radio.

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:12 pm

stoptothink wrote:.... There is obviously some inherent danger by diverting your attention to something other than the road, but IMO it's no more dangerous than blasting your car radio.
I beg to differ. Yes, you can certainly get into an accident while blasting your car radio. However, you are surrounded by a steel cage, have a seat belt and hopefully a couple airbags. Definitely not so on a bike.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:34 pm

DTSC wrote:
stoptothink wrote:.... There is obviously some inherent danger by diverting your attention to something other than the road, but IMO it's no more dangerous than blasting your car radio.
I beg to differ. Yes, you can certainly get into an accident while blasting your car radio. However, you are surrounded by a steel cage, have a seat belt and hopefully a couple airbags. Definitely not so on a bike.
I meant it increases chances of an accident no more than blasting the radio. If you are that concerned, I wouldn't be riding on a public street period. On the list of dangerous things to do on the road, it isn't in the same stratosphere as say riding a motorcycle without a helmet (which is legal in more than half of the states and yes, a lot of motorcycles also have radios). I am in no way saying it is a complete non-issue, everything you do comes with a level of risk; that one isn't particularly high. It's a little much to be telling people they are crazy for riding with earbuds, akin to the threads where posters are in shock that others will step foot in a car that does not have electronic stability control.

Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:04 am

Is there some trick to using ear buds? I hate the darn things and much prefer head phones. Unfortunately the cheap headphones that don't fully cover your ear are becoming hard to find. I use them for jogging and x-country skiing and need to replace them a couple of times a year since the wire gets tugged on and eventually the connection fails.

The problems I have with ear buds are:
1) They keep falling off.
2) They get plugged with earwax and are hard to clean.
3) People can't see I'm wearing them.
4) If I pull them out to interact I can't get them back on without stopping. Particularly if I'm wearing a balaclava.

lightheir

Post by lightheir » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:31 pm

Epsilon Delta wrote:Is there some trick to using ear buds? I hate the darn things and much prefer head phones. Unfortunately the cheap headphones that don't fully cover your ear are becoming hard to find. I use them for jogging and x-country skiing and need to replace them a couple of times a year since the wire gets tugged on and eventually the connection fails.

The problems I have with ear buds are:
1) They keep falling off.
2) They get plugged with earwax and are hard to clean.
3) People can't see I'm wearing them.
4) If I pull them out to interact I can't get them back on without stopping. Particularly if I'm wearing a balaclava.
There's no trick. Keep using them and you'll find the best fit that works. Sometimes you need to swap the earbud pieces for ones that fit snugly. The deformable wires in the MEE earbuds above also loop over the ear for added stability.

Mine have never gotten plugged with earwax.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:41 pm

Raybo wrote: I wear a helmet, but it is only good for after I fall off.
I once had a nice conversation with a women riding on a bike trail (no car traffic). I commented to her that she might consider wearing a helmet for safety. Her reaction was "why, there are no cars allowed on this trail?" I laughed and explained to her that even with a helmet, her chance against a car is very low -- the helmet is for when you fall off your bike not for the collision with the vehicle.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

LifeIsGood

Post by LifeIsGood » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:21 am

My main concern with ear buds was wind noise. The MEElectronics are very effective in reducing wind noise but I am still able to hear other street sounds quite well. Maybe it has something to do with the frequency of the wind noise. I also wear a helmet and a bright yellow safety vest.

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:58 pm

lightheir wrote:
Crimsontide wrote:
I bought those just a few months ago when they were a mere $15. I use them for running. They're good. Comes with a nice case and a lot of earbud sizes to get the right fit. You do have to fiddle with the over-the-ear deformable wire to get the right fit, but once you get the fit, it stays in much more stably and comfortably than normal earphones. Very solid for the price, even at its current price point. (Was a steal at $15)
Received these from Amazon yesterday. Went for a ride this morning with them - used the standard size bud. Had to fiddle a little with the memory wire as you said, but once I got that adjusted they felt and performed great. Good recommendation and a great value for the price.

linuxology

Post by linuxology » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:24 am

Haven't checked in a while, but these are essential if you are buying the Meelectronics buds as the quality of the silicon is so very poor. Sorry, but I forgot about this last time. Trust me you will thank yourself.

These are generic and all one size, if you do not know what size I would buy the second pack initially, but can not tell the difference in quality.

http://www.amazon.com/Pair-Size-Medium- ... d+tips+soy

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-EPEX10A-BLK- ... d+tips+soy

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:12 am

I too got the Meelectronics earbuds at the advice of this thread. Good price and value.

They seem to work pretty well. Not perfect, but I can't find the $12 Sony over-the-head earbud that I liked for so long. My problem is that my "jug-ears" and small ear canals don't allow most any in-ear or ear-hook types to work. These are a bit better because the flexible wire adapts better to my odd ear shape.

EddyB

Post by EddyB » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:27 pm

I have been very happy with a pair of "yurbuds" that I received as a gift. I can hear my music without having to turn the volume up so high that I can't hear anything else, they're comfortable for me, and they have survived trips through the washing machine and dryer.