electronic signatures: are they safe and easy?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TO39

electronic signatures: are they safe and easy?

Post by TO39 »

Is electronic signature a good way to make an offer to buy a house that is 300 miles away?
livesoft

Re: electronic signatures: are they safe and easy?

Post by livesoft »

Why would you need an electronic signature at all on an offer? Maybe after the offer was accepted you would want the seller to give you something.

Sorry I did not answer your question. I think in the old days, a real estate agent would convey your offer and they probably only did it verbally. Or maybe they faxed an offer. Certainly a fax is sufficient and it is "electronic".
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mhc

Post by mhc »

TO39 wrote:Is electronic signature a good way to make an offer to buy a house that is 300 miles away?
I would have no issue doing it. I used electronic signatures for selling a condo in town.

With anything on the internet (surfing, email, purchases, ...), there is all kinds of electronic things going on. It really comes down to trusting the site, software, and/or person.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

When I bought my house, we had to sign electronically on the offer and counteroffers. The service was called DocuSign
DocuSign. The fastest way to get a signature.®
This message was sent to you by XXXX who is using the DocuSign Electronic Signature Service.
For more, go to
https://www.docusign.com
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

Using e-signatures for pretty much everything now. You can even choose the style of signature you like on docu-sign. In fact, I just got a life insurance policy without ever touching a pen. Technology is awesome.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
Teetlebaum

Post by Teetlebaum »

When I sold my house, many required signatures were handled using something called dotloop. No problems and it was convenient.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

I do it both ways for clients here in MN. Our MLS has Instasign for electronic signatures but some prefer that I e-mail the docs, they print, sign, scan and e-mail them back to me.
Both ways work fine.
PS Gov. loans are still a little bit of a mess.
On January 30, HUD released Mortgagee Letter 14-03, which significantly expands lenders’ ability to accept electronic signatures on documents pertaining to Federal Housing Administration (FHA) loans.

HUD’s new policy, which is effective immediately, will allow for electronic signatures to be used on most documents relating to origination, servicing, and loss mitigation on FHA loans. However, FHA will still not accept electronic signatures on the actual mortgage note until December 31, 2014 (and then only for forward mortgages). FHA currently only accepts electronic signatures on third party documents that are not under the lender’s control.
Topic Author
TO39

Post by TO39 »

Great, Thanks for all the help