Where do you buy organic nuts

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
katnok

Where do you buy organic nuts

Post by katnok »

Like many of you, we eat nuts (Almonds, Pistachios, Walnuts and Hazelnuts) daily, which we usually buy at Costco.

However, my wife would like to buy organic nuts, and has been thinking about buying them online at Amazon or nuts.com. I am a little skeptical about the quality of the nuts bought online.

So, would you buy them online? If so, where? If not, what brick and mortar stores do you recommend?

Thank you all.
campy2010

Re: Where do you buy organic nuts

Post by campy2010 »

Trader Joe's
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

If I were in the market for organic nuts and found a great price online (factoring in shipping, etc.), I would have no qualms with giving it a shot.

What's the worst that could happen? You wind up with some mediocre nuts, and next time you go find yourself a Trader Joe's or a Whole Foods or something.

But maybe they'll turn out to be fine and you've found yourself a convenient way to save some bucks. You'll never know until you try.
Stay on target...
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Whole Foods. Trader Joes. A local health food store that I trust.

I'm not sure that all nuts need to be organic. Just as all vegies don't really need to be organic. However, it is not clear to me which nuts need to be organic and which don't (lack of education on my part). So I err on the side of organic if organic is available.

There may be no benefit to my health for a product to be organic, but there is a definite benefit to the planet (and therefore someone's health) to grow foods organically in my opinion. So that's what I prefer.

I would think that some of these foods available at Amazon or other large sellers are the same brands available at health/real food stores.
Topic Author
katnok

Post by katnok »

Thank you for your suggestions.

Will certainly check them out at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

How about nuts.com? Anyone bought nuts there?
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

retiredjg wrote:....I'm not sure that all nuts need to be organic. Just as all vegies don't really need to be organic....
I don't think it is necessary to buy fruits, vegetables, nuts, and so on, grown organically if these foods have a skin, peel, rind, and so on, that I am not going to eat. Bananas, melons, and kiwi come to mind. If I do intend to eat these coverings (berries, apples, and the like), I do buy organic.
Gordon
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I am a regular purchaser and consumer of Costco almonds and walnuts (in the bags, plain). While they may not be "organic", it is my understanding that Costco has significant "quality" and/or "value" standards that all of their products must meet. Walnuts and almonds are both in "shells" that, it seems to me, may be where applied pesticides are more likely to accumulate.
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I am a health nut. I have reviewed everything I can in the literature. I honestly cannot conclude that "organic" anything is of value healthwise. That does not mean i don't approve of free range animals, although I eat no animal products but prefer animals are as free as possible. Nuts are the most calorie dense foods there are and although there are purported health benefits this is by no means certain.But TJs does sell them at a cheap price.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I am, for the last 3 years at least, what some might describe as a "health nut" also. For various reasons, I am very skeptical about "organic" products. I eat almonds and walnuts almost every day (in a ratio of about 2:1 by weight). I buy 3 pound bags of Costco almonds ($14.99) and walnuts ($18.99). The next time I go to Trader Joe's, I plan to look at their almonds and walnuts.
AAA

Post by AAA »

gkaplan wrote: I don't think it is necessary to buy fruits, vegetables, nuts, and so on, grown organically if these foods have a skin, peel, rind, and so on, that I am not going to eat. Bananas, melons, and kiwi come to mind. If I do intend to eat these coverings (berries, apples, and the like), I do buy organic.
You should be aware that if systemic pesticides are used, they actually enter the fruit or vegetable.
etarini

Post by etarini »

Environmental Working Group publishes the Dirty Dozen and the Clean Fifteen each year. You can get an app for your iPhone or Android or Windows phone, or you can download a PDFto put on the refrigerator. This helps me get the most bang for my health/organic buck.

http://www.ewg.org/foodnews/guide.php?key=40525134

Eric
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

Had to order some bulk candy for an event & Nuts.com had awesome customer service, packaging, and shipping. Have no opinion on organic nuts...