Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
User avatar
El Greco
Posts: 351
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:21 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by El Greco » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:51 pm

AAPL at $14 a share. Especially when my wife kept urging me to buy it. As you might well imagine, she likes to bring this up. Often. :annoyed

larklea
Posts: 225
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by larklea » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:52 am

Not buying a home inside Loop 601 when I moved to the Houston area in 1987. The oil bust had hit hard and I would have made a killing, maybe 5X - 10X over 20 years. Plus it would have gotten me out of apartment living five years earlier.

Chip
Posts: 2476
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:57 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Chip » Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:49 pm

jrhampt wrote:I also regret not taking the train from Lauterbrunnen up to JungFrauJoch and the other high peaks when I was on my honeymoon in Switzerland. It seemed expensive at the time, but it was probably worth it. If we go back someday (and we would like to), I will not make that mistake twice.
We didn't take the same train for the same reason. I'm pretty sure I regret it, too. Though someone could ease my mind by telling me it wasn't worth it. And that those grapes I couldn't reach were sour. :D

User avatar
Toons
Posts: 13291
Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:20 am
Location: Hills of Tennessee

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Toons » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:12 pm

I really can't think of anything.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1950
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by sunny_socal » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:38 pm

I can think of a couple:
- Too little on wedding photographer and the photos were somewhat forgettable
- Should have splurged a little more on honeymoon as well

But, OTOH I didn't make as much $$ back and then I was trying to live within my means so perhaps it's just as well. I think we've made up for it since then.

A few times where I cheaped out and it worked out very well:
- First house was a fixer, bought @ 250k and sold 2 years later for 478k
- Bought a used F250 truck for 3k, sold it a year later for 3k (didn't put anything into maintenance either)
- Bought a used Honda XR400 dirt bike for 1900, sold it two years later for 1900 (replaced some of the plastics only)

More recently bought a private party 2008 Toyota Tundra for $17 thinking it was a Good Deal. Ended up spending an additional 5k on repairs and maintenance items. It bought the total cost to the same as what Carmax was asking for the exact same truck and buying from CM would have saved me tons of time and angst. Truck is ok now but next time I'll be more careful. There is value in getting at least some kind of warranty if buying used.

Oh and on a trip to Europe we bought a coupon book for train rides. Turns out we were effectively paying $100 per leg whereas all the locals were just buying tickets before boarding and paying $20. In the future I'll just buy tickets as we need them rather than trying to get a 'deal'.

ezmaass
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by ezmaass » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:25 pm

I think the take-away from a thread like this is quite important. There's a fine line between saving to live life well tomorrow and living life well today.

Many of us spend an obsessive amount of time planning for the future - which is arguably a good thing, since many more people spend way too little time planning for their future. However, when planning for the future it's important to remember that a future, of any kind, is not guaranteed to anyone - no matter what you may plan or how well you do it.

A few principles I use when deciding how and when to spend money:

- If I'm going to use it daily (or nearly so), and it may have a profound impact in my daily happiness, convenience, or satisfaction, I'll strongly consider such a purchase. There are few of these in life, and if you're justifying dozens or more purchases this way, you're likely kidding yourself. But for those few - and they may differ vastly among people - it's about creating a quality of life.

- You can't buy time. There are certain things in life that are best experienced at a certain age (or age range). It's certainly not an excuse to over-spend and justify it with youthful abandon, but the sad truth is that we often miscalculate what might be possible down the road. Just because your wallet may be prepared to take on your dream trip at 65, it doesn't mean your body will comply.

- Health is your most critical investment. Never skimp on something that may allow you to stay healthy.

- Making memories with loved ones, friends, and family - falls into the category of not being able to turn back time. This may not be as black and white as a purchase. In many cases, some of the best memories I have were free. It's not necessarily about choosing to spend money on an expensive vacation - but it may be a matter of choosing to make the time, including setting boundaries with work/life balance. I suspect many of the people here, like myself, are also go-getters in their career. But over the years I've come to realize that there's no goal line. The more you work, the higher you climb in the company, the bigger the checks get... you just never reach a goal line... because, for whatever reason (usually our own sense of drive), the line will keep moving. You can't get back the missed recitals, soccer games, bakery sales, school concerts, dances, etc - so treat the choice to attend, participate, and experience life with your family and friends as one of your most important investments, even if it takes a promotion, a big deal, or other event off the table temporarily.

I don't have any specific regrets. I've chosen to live my life quite well, both in the present and with regard to the future - it's all about finding and striking a balance. An extreme outlook either way, I suspect, is where true regrets will sink in.

Onion
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:21 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Onion » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:37 am

1.) Spouse's car. Purchased right after having our first child and we were dropping to one income in a HCOL area. Big mistake. We went very cheap and six years later I still hear weekly complaints about it.

2.) I wish I had traveled more when I was younger (20's). I was financially-minded and spent most of my money paying off university and investing. I was always warned that I was "too serious" and it's true, I was. Hopefully I can teach my children the importance of balance.

Caduceus
Posts: 1891
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:47 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Caduceus » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:34 am

It's interesting to read all the responses here and see some of the common threads. I did the opposite and took 1.5 years off after graduate school just doing nothing but wandering all over the world and it was truly the best time of my life. I didn't want to wait until I was 50 for an adventure. After the trip, I completely switched careers. I do sometimes think about the money I could have earned during that time, but the truth is that the experiences during that time was worth much more than even the highest salary I could have been drawing at that point.

I regret not spending more on healthy food when I was younger and eating too much processed stuff. Now, I am willing to spend on healthy food, travel, and books (Kindle), and not much on anything else.

Afty
Posts: 969
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:31 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Afty » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:47 am

I also regret not traveling more when we were in our 20s. We were both in grad school, and money was tight. Now we have 2 young kids and don't get to take the same kinds of trips we could before.

User avatar
Just sayin...
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:12 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Just sayin... » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:11 pm

Chip wrote:
jrhampt wrote:I also regret not taking the train from Lauterbrunnen up to JungFrauJoch and the other high peaks when I was on my honeymoon in Switzerland. It seemed expensive at the time, but it was probably worth it. If we go back someday (and we would like to), I will not make that mistake twice.
We didn't take the same train for the same reason. I'm pretty sure I regret it, too. Though someone could ease my mind by telling me it wasn't worth it. And that those grapes I couldn't reach were sour. :D
We sprung for the trip to the top - a very worthwhile "investment" and a wonderful experience. Clearly, judging by the quantity and quality of tunnels, the Swiss must be part Mole-people.

aceoperations
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:04 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by aceoperations » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:23 pm

Regret not getting the pricier tickets to see Roger Waters "The Wall" live. Paying $250 would have got me a seat at the lower level facing the stage. Instead the $40 ticket, put us in the side balcony. Missed out on the full experience of a visual multi-million dollar extravaganza!

User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
Posts: 28260
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Miami FL

A wonderful life

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:49 pm

Bogleheads:

For many years I had a desire to live on a large sailboat (we couldn't afford) and perhaps sail the world.

It never happened, but surprisingly, I feel little regret.

Instead, I am very grateful for a wonderful life thanks to my family, friends, Bogleheads and lots of good luck.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 15677
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by ruralavalon » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:52 pm

I regret not travelling more before onset of disabilities.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

pennywise
Posts: 626
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 6:22 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by pennywise » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:54 pm

ezmaass wrote:I think the take-away from a thread like this is quite important. There's a fine line between saving to live life well tomorrow and living life well today.

- Making memories with loved ones, friends, and family - falls into the category of not being able to turn back time. This may not be as black and white as a purchase. In many cases, some of the best memories I have were free. It's not necessarily about choosing to spend money on an expensive vacation - but it may be a matter of choosing to make the time, including setting boundaries with work/life balance.

You can't get back the missed recitals, soccer games, bakery sales, school concerts, dances, etc - so treat the choice to attend, participate, and experience life with your family and friends as one of your most important investments, even if it takes a promotion, a big deal, or other event off the table temporarily.
+1000

This is such a profound and meaningful truth! As I age, I become increasingly aware that those memories are the most valuable treasure we can amass. Thanks for putting it so well.

leonard
Posts: 5993
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by leonard » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:02 pm

aceoperations wrote:Regret not getting the pricier tickets to see Roger Waters "The Wall" live. Paying $250 would have got me a seat at the lower level facing the stage. Instead the $40 ticket, put us in the side balcony. Missed out on the full experience of a visual multi-million dollar extravaganza!
No Gilmore? you made the right decision.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

User avatar
rmelvey
Posts: 796
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by rmelvey » Mon Aug 29, 2016 4:19 pm

I regret not getting a better apartment when i first moved to NYC. I shared an apartment with 5 other people and the apartment was a complete disaster. I had to give people a pep talk before they came to see where I lived. In hindsight I should have just bit the bullet and gotten a normal place.

aceoperations
Posts: 165
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:04 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by aceoperations » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:20 am

leonard wrote: No Gilmore? you made the right decision.
That argument is what helps me sleep at night. I would have like to see the Pulse concert live, but I was 6 years old then, and lived on a different continent. Can't win 'em all I guess.

User avatar
kenyan
Posts: 2958
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:16 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by kenyan » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:46 am

I try to remain cognizant of this risk, particularly when it comes to spending (and effort spent!) on experiences/vacations for my children. My DW and I appreciate a good vacation, but also are not naturally inclined to planning interesting vacations, particularly with all of the considerations necessary for our young children.

What drives this point home for me are the memories I have of my late father; he was always taking us out to experience new things (particularly outdoors), and those are my strongest impressions of him (and in general) from my youth. I want my children to be able to have those kinds of memories.

Thus far, I wouldn't say that I have particular non-buyer remorse. I will admit to being curious (not remorseful) about what direction my life might have turned had I offered to pony up airfare for a friend and longtime crush who was considering visiting me while I was living/working at a ski resort prior to graduate school. She was attending one of the top two schools on my list; she eventually decided that the airfare would be too much for a starving grad student, the visit never occurred, I selected the other school, and began dating my wife a few months later.

I'm happy with how things turned out, but it still makes for an interesting thought experiment. :)
Retirement investing is a marathon.

blueberry
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:37 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by blueberry » Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:54 am

As an early retired single parent I wish I'd bought a bigger house. It would be great to have more flexibility for my kid to live with me as a student and young adult, and/or have roommates, who could maintain the place while I travel etc. This particular angle would apply to a small percentage of people. I could upsize now, but after retiring getting a mortgage is more difficult as well as my area has appreciated a lot.

Lynette
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Lynette » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:00 pm

.....
Last edited by Lynette on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blueberry
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:37 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by blueberry » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:11 pm

Subjective thought:

Some people never will admit to regret. Call it arrogance or smugness or optimism or denial. This is not a response to a particular post, just an observation on human nature in general. Dig deeper to find regret and nothing wrong with finding none, just probably more attitude than reality. Every body makes mistakes.

Total disclosure, I kinda wish I'd had a boob job back in the day, gotten big ones.

User avatar
steadyeddy
Posts: 741
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: The Alps of the Midwest

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by steadyeddy » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:09 pm

Wow is this thread depressing! :(

My wife and I have put off traveling for the last two years in anticipation of a pregnancy that hasn't materialized. We're talking about a big vacation now, and I've been feeling cheap in light of likely infertility treatment costs. Thanks for the wake up call! :beer

User avatar
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board
Posts: 28260
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:09 pm
Location: Miami FL

A second thought

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:09 pm

steadyeddy wrote:
My wife and I have put off traveling for the last two years in anticipation of a pregnancy that hasn't materialized.
steadyeddy:

You have it backward. Once she's pregnant, your traveling days are likely over for a long time. :-)

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

User avatar
Nicolas
Posts: 1363
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Nicolas » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:02 pm

I had a chance to see Jimi Hendrix in concert, in 1970, but I passed it up, though not for financial reasons. He died soon after....
It was a new day yesterday. It’s an old day now.

User avatar
Will do good
Posts: 831
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:23 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Will do good » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:07 pm

Instead of buying $1000 of APPL at $3.25, should have brought $5,000 or $10,000.
It only go on to split 4-5 times... :oops:

2 bits
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:42 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by 2 bits » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:25 pm

Afty wrote:I also regret not traveling more when we were in our 20s. We were both in grad school, and money was tight. Now we have 2 young kids and don't get to take the same kinds of trips we could before.
I have heard it said that with one child you can go around the world, but with two children you can't get out the door. Perhaps you are confirming that for me. Enjoy the kids, they can be a lot of fun too. :D
I sometimes think that I am living the life of which my immigrant ancestors dreamed.

sambb
Posts: 2479
Joined: Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:31 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by sambb » Wed Aug 31, 2016 8:28 pm

nice briefcase

honduranhurricane
Posts: 113
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:18 pm
Location: boston, ma

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending

Post by honduranhurricane » Wed May 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Randomize wrote:
Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:20 pm
DouglasDoug wrote:A ticket to see Lena Horne's great comeback, & generosity to now dead friends.
That reminds me: Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio tickets just before he died :(
Have to reply. I never thought I would see Dio mentioned on Bogleheads. Saw him many times, my favorite singer in high school. Love it when he comes on the radio (Sirius Ozzy's boneyard channel), the radio gets loud!

Luckywon
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:33 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Luckywon » Wed May 01, 2019 9:11 pm

Trip to anywhere with my mother or father, now deceased.
Last edited by Luckywon on Thu May 02, 2019 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

scorcher31
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:13 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by scorcher31 » Wed May 01, 2019 9:43 pm

Still young, but wish I got a bit larger of a house (2500-3000 square foot) and spent more to have a kitchen, bath, porch etc just the way I want it. Don't know if this one will be able to be renovated to be my dream home and I realized I hate hiring contractors to do that kind of stuff and will never recoup the money. With that said I've never found a home just the way I want it so maybe it's a pipe dream.

Strayshot
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:04 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Strayshot » Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 am

I should have spent the $200 back in the early 2000’s to have a driver take me in a couple laps around Daytona at high speeds, should have bought my parents vacation condo instead of letting them sell it, and should have bought a 100 year old bottle of port for $1000 from the vineyard whose name I can’t remember in the Barossa Valley Australia because it was delicious.
At Daytona, it seemed like a frivolous expense. The condo happened quickly and my parents didn’t ask if I wanted it and I failed to interject myself, and the port didn’t happen because we were worried it would break in the luggage. Having lugged 2 suitcases of scotch back from Scotland, I now realize that was silly and it would have been fine.

Calico
Posts: 324
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:45 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Calico » Thu May 02, 2019 8:12 am

Not my regret necessarily, but my parents were very frugal. My dad especially worked hard, had his business, and planned to "sacrifice now" to have a wonderful retirement with my mom full of travel and such. Then he got cancer and died a few years before he could retire. The big trips to Europe, Australia, Japan, and around the world never happened.

I use that as a lesson in my life that while it's good to be frugal and save for the future, there is also some merit to enjoying the here and now as well. You won't live forever and while you might think sacrificing now for the future is wise, sometimes that future never comes.

For the record, my mom tried traveling after dad died, but said it was lonely by herself. Since I am divorced, when I travel with my daughter, I take mom along with us. We've brought her on a three nice vacations with us over the past 10 years and two are ones she planned with dad that my daughter and I were interested in as well. The last trip (our first to Europe) mom was really struggling to just walk around (she's in her mid 70s now with really bad arthritis). So I am not sure if she will be up for another trip in a few years. We shall see.

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 6725
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Sandtrap » Thu May 02, 2019 8:19 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:52 pm
I regret not travelling more before onset of disabilities.
+1
So true.
There's no way to predict the lifestyle adjustments that have to be made due to health concerns.
And, these things don't have to be age related. :shock:
So, with each passing year, one must do the most. (including travel)
And, count our blessings.
Aloha
j :D

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 6725
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Sandtrap » Thu May 02, 2019 8:52 am

ezmaass wrote:
I think the take-away from a thread like this is quite important. There's a fine line between saving to live life well tomorrow and living life well today.

- Making memories with loved ones, friends, and family - falls into the category of not being able to turn back time. This may not be as black and white as a purchase. In many cases, some of the best memories I have were free. It's not necessarily about choosing to spend money on an expensive vacation - but it may be a matter of choosing to make the time, including setting boundaries with work/life balance.

You can't get back the missed recitals, soccer games, bakery sales, school concerts, dances, etc - so treat the choice to attend, participate, and experience life with your family and friends as one of your most important investments, even if it takes a promotion, a big deal, or other event off the table temporarily.

+1
So true.
However, once in a while, we are blessed with a "redo" (reboot, reset, etc).

My DW and I had always wanted to get married in a church but never had the time.
Recently, after nearly 4 decades of marriage, we were married in a church.

I told her, 2nd time and "still no prenup". Shucks. :shock:

My son was my "best man" and my DIL was the "made of honor".
It was wonderful. :D

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 15677
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by ruralavalon » Fri May 03, 2019 8:49 am

Sandtrap wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:52 am
ezmaass wrote:
I think the take-away from a thread like this is quite important. There's a fine line between saving to live life well tomorrow and living life well today.

- Making memories with loved ones, friends, and family - falls into the category of not being able to turn back time. This may not be as black and white as a purchase. In many cases, some of the best memories I have were free. It's not necessarily about choosing to spend money on an expensive vacation - but it may be a matter of choosing to make the time, including setting boundaries with work/life balance.

You can't get back the missed recitals, soccer games, bakery sales, school concerts, dances, etc - so treat the choice to attend, participate, and experience life with your family and friends as one of your most important investments, even if it takes a promotion, a big deal, or other event off the table temporarily.

+1
So true.
However, once in a while, we are blessed with a "redo" (reboot, reset, etc).

My DW and I had always wanted to get married in a church but never had the time.
Recently, after nearly 4 decades of marriage, we were married in a church.

I told her, 2nd time and "still no prenup". Shucks. :shock:

My son was my "best man" and my DIL was the "made of honor".
It was wonderful. :D
Congratulations on the reboot :happy
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 6725
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii😀 Northern AZ.😳 Retired.

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Sandtrap » Fri May 03, 2019 8:52 am

ruralavalon wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 8:49 am
Sandtrap wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 8:52 am
ezmaass wrote:
I think the take-away from a thread like this is quite important. There's a fine line between saving to live life well tomorrow and living life well today.

- Making memories with loved ones, friends, and family - falls into the category of not being able to turn back time. This may not be as black and white as a purchase. In many cases, some of the best memories I have were free. It's not necessarily about choosing to spend money on an expensive vacation - but it may be a matter of choosing to make the time, including setting boundaries with work/life balance.

You can't get back the missed recitals, soccer games, bakery sales, school concerts, dances, etc - so treat the choice to attend, participate, and experience life with your family and friends as one of your most important investments, even if it takes a promotion, a big deal, or other event off the table temporarily.

+1
So true.
However, once in a while, we are blessed with a "redo" (reboot, reset, etc).

My DW and I had always wanted to get married in a church but never had the time.
Recently, after nearly 4 decades of marriage, we were married in a church.

I told her, 2nd time and "still no prenup". Shucks. :shock:

My son was my "best man" and my DIL was the "made of honor".
It was wonderful. :D
Congratulations on the reboot :happy
Mahalo !!!
Malama Pono
jim :D

jzachary
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending

Post by jzachary » Fri May 03, 2019 9:28 am

honduranhurricane wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 9:09 pm
Randomize wrote:
Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:20 pm
DouglasDoug wrote:A ticket to see Lena Horne's great comeback, & generosity to now dead friends.
That reminds me: Black Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio tickets just before he died :(
Have to reply. I never thought I would see Dio mentioned on Bogleheads. Saw him many times, my favorite singer in high school. Love it when he comes on the radio (Sirius Ozzy's boneyard channel), the radio gets loud!
Similar regret of not seeing AC/DC live when I had the chance.

davebo
Posts: 807
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:02 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by davebo » Fri May 03, 2019 9:37 am

I regret not spending money on a larger house. I went in wanting a 4-bed house because we have 3 kids, but really liked a 3 bed house we looked at. Not more than a year later, I was regretting it. This is where I kind of wished my parents were more blunt because they later told me that they thought I probably would've wanted a 4-bed. They did the exact same thing when they bought their first house, saved $10K to buy a smaller house and raised 5 kids in a cramped house.

Still though, I probably wouldn't have listened to my parents anyways...sometimes lessons can't be taught, they have to be learned. It worked out fine in the end.

itsgot8
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:20 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by itsgot8 » Fri May 03, 2019 12:18 pm

Strayshot wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 am
I should have spent the $200 back in the early 2000’s to have a driver take me in a couple laps around Daytona at high speeds,

At Daytona, it seemed like a frivolous expense.
It was an awesome experience! I think top speed was 160mph, which was an incredible way to experience how much banking that track has and how narrow it is. I remember having to look through the upper left portion of the windshield when in the turns to see where we were going because if I looked straight ahead, all I saw was asphalt.

Strayshot
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:04 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Strayshot » Fri May 03, 2019 4:18 pm

itsgot8 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:18 pm
Strayshot wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 am
I should have spent the $200 back in the early 2000’s to have a driver take me in a couple laps around Daytona at high speeds,

At Daytona, it seemed like a frivolous expense.
It was an awesome experience! I think top speed was 160mph, which was an incredible way to experience how much banking that track has and how narrow it is. I remember having to look through the upper left portion of the windshield when in the turns to see where we were going because if I looked straight ahead, all I saw was asphalt.
Thanks for putting salt in the wound! :oops:

Just kidding. Honestly, I have enough money now that I will probably fly there and visit just visit for a do-over. Assuming you can still get rides around the track.

The good news in life is that some regrets aren’t permanent, but my $200 regret is going to cost me $2000 to fix.

Kind of like the 1980 Rolex milgauss I didn’t buy and didn’t list as a regret in my prior post, it will only cost like a 4x rather than a 10x to fix but bigger $$$$$

GCD
Posts: 893
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:11 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by GCD » Fri May 03, 2019 8:44 pm

In 1993 I was working at a summer job in Alaska. For $200 I could have gone on a photo trip to take relatively close up photos of Kodiak Brown Bears. I didn't do it because I thought it was too expensive and "this place is so awesome I'm coming back to live and work here full-time." Yup, 26 years and I still haven't been back.

itsgot8
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:20 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by itsgot8 » Mon May 06, 2019 10:06 am

Strayshot wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:18 pm
itsgot8 wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:18 pm
Strayshot wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 am
I should have spent the $200 back in the early 2000’s to have a driver take me in a couple laps around Daytona at high speeds,

At Daytona, it seemed like a frivolous expense.
It was an awesome experience! I think top speed was 160mph, which was an incredible way to experience how much banking that track has and how narrow it is. I remember having to look through the upper left portion of the windshield when in the turns to see where we were going because if I looked straight ahead, all I saw was asphalt.
Thanks for putting salt in the wound! :oops:

Just kidding. Honestly, I have enough money now that I will probably fly there and visit just visit for a do-over. Assuming you can still get rides around the track.

The good news in life is that some regrets aren’t permanent, but my $200 regret is going to cost me $2000 to fix.

Kind of like the 1980 Rolex milgauss I didn’t buy and didn’t list as a regret in my prior post, it will only cost like a 4x rather than a 10x to fix but bigger $$$$$
At least on the bright side, the ride along now will only cost you $135.99, so you're saving money there :)

https://www.drivepetty.com/race-tracks/ ... -speedway/

grettman
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:47 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by grettman » Mon May 06, 2019 10:13 am

OP asks this question but doesn’t offer his/her own example... smh

OckerMan
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue May 07, 2019 12:32 am

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by OckerMan » Tue May 07, 2019 12:36 am

Strayshot wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 am
I should have spent the $200 back in the early 2000’s to have a driver take me in a couple laps around Daytona at high speeds, should have bought my parents vacation condo instead of letting them sell it, and should have bought a 100 year old bottle of port for $1000 from the vineyard whose name I can’t remember in the Barossa Valley Australia because it was delicious.
At Daytona, it seemed like a frivolous expense. The condo happened quickly and my parents didn’t ask if I wanted it and I failed to interject myself, and the port didn’t happen because we were worried it would break in the luggage. Having lugged 2 suitcases of scotch back from Scotland, I now realize that was silly and it would have been fine.
I think the name of the vineyard in the Barossa Valley could be Seppeltsfield, they have 100 year old ports. I never tried the 100 year but the 20 year Grand Tawny is delicious and I bought a bottle of it at the cellar door.

Strayshot
Posts: 555
Joined: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:04 am
Location: New Mexico

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Strayshot » Tue May 07, 2019 7:53 am

OckerMan wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 12:36 am
Strayshot wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 7:47 am
I should have spent the $200 back in the early 2000’s to have a driver take me in a couple laps around Daytona at high speeds, should have bought my parents vacation condo instead of letting them sell it, and should have bought a 100 year old bottle of port for $1000 from the vineyard whose name I can’t remember in the Barossa Valley Australia because it was delicious.
At Daytona, it seemed like a frivolous expense. The condo happened quickly and my parents didn’t ask if I wanted it and I failed to interject myself, and the port didn’t happen because we were worried it would break in the luggage. Having lugged 2 suitcases of scotch back from Scotland, I now realize that was silly and it would have been fine.
I think the name of the vineyard in the Barossa Valley could be Seppeltsfield, they have 100 year old ports. I never tried the 100 year but the 20 year Grand Tawny is delicious and I bought a bottle of it at the cellar door.
Yes that is it! Nice tasting room and amazing port.

lostdog
Posts: 1741
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:15 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by lostdog » Tue May 07, 2019 8:03 am

My wife and I aren't big travelers instead we enjoy vacations up north by the lake with family and friends.

We have yuppy family members that brag about their vacations. We feel weird around them because we're not yuppies and take expensive vacations and then brag about it during holiday get togethers. Do we regret?? If we compare ourselves, maybe we do.
I don't invest looking in the rear view mirror and I know absolutely nothing about the future. I invest in Vanguard Total World Stock Index.

User avatar
ruralavalon
Posts: 15677
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:29 am
Location: Illinois

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by ruralavalon » Tue May 07, 2019 8:56 am

lostdog wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:03 am
My wife and I aren't big travelers instead we enjoy vacations up north by the lake with family and friends.

We have yuppy family members that brag about their vacations. We feel weird around them because we're not yuppies and take expensive vacations and then brag about it during holiday get togethers. Do we regret?? If we compare ourselves, maybe we do.
Up north by the lake sounds great to me :) . You can brag about that as far as I am concerned
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

BikingBill
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:58 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by BikingBill » Tue May 07, 2019 1:48 pm

In 1977 I was in college, driving a 1968 Mercedes 200 sedan (the last one with tail fins). Went to the Mercedes used parts place to get some stuff and saw a perfect one of these, offered at $7000. That was a lot of $$$ for a college student (I had paid $850 for the 200).

Image
1957 Mercedes SL Roadster

It's worth $960,000 (Avg. Value*) today.

boglejin
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 13, 2019 11:11 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending

Post by boglejin » Mon May 13, 2019 11:18 pm

obgyn65 wrote:
Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:25 pm
I regret not spending more money on myself, on my parents, on my family. As mentioned many times before, I prefer to spend money creating and maintaining free clinics abroad. These clinical activities abroad will soon become my main budget item. I spend more on patients I have never seen before than on me. There must be something wrong with me...
HomerJ wrote:
obgyn65 wrote:I regret not spending more on my life.
What does that mean?
There is nothing wrong with you. And from all the people that you have helped - thank you for your generosity.

Starfish
Posts: 1149
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:33 pm

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Starfish » Tue May 14, 2019 1:58 am

Reading this topic, I found some regrets I did not know I have.

Post Reply