Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dgdevil

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending

Post by dgdevil » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:03 am

jackpullo997 wrote:
Barefootgirl wrote:I regret not seeing some of my favorite music artists in the 70s and 80s when they played with strength and passion and tickets often sold for around $20.
Now, these same groups want upwards of $400/ticket to watch them sway slowly back and forth on stage with weaker vocals and weaker playing ability.
BFG
What are some specific bands you passed up?
Well, I can answer from a later perspective. I had a ticket to see Dire Straits in '86, but didn't go because I'd never been to a big concert before and chickened out. I've been to maybe a thousand shows since then, but never Nirvana - which I regret because I knew they wouldn't last long. I can't believe I haven't seen NIN, except opening for Bowie. Right now a lot of people are regretting not seeing AC/DC, thankfully not I.

Topic Author
jackpullo997

Post by jackpullo997 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:43 am

clevername wrote:I really regret not going inside the Colossium in Rome because I was too cheap to pay the 15 euros to get in. I was 20 doing the whole shoestring backpacking thing but still. :oops:
Maybe this will help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT3FKR-acIw

travellight

Post by travellight » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:55 pm

by clevername » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 pm

I really regret not going inside the Colossium in Rome because I was too cheap to pay the 15 euros to get in. I was 20 doing the whole shoestring backpacking thing but still.
Ditto! But I don't even have your excuse of being 20 something, this was only 3-4 years ago. Grrr.....

dgdevil

Post by dgdevil » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:29 pm

travellight wrote:
by clevername » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 pm

I really regret not going inside the Colossium in Rome because I was too cheap to pay the 15 euros to get in. I was 20 doing the whole shoestring backpacking thing but still.
Ditto! But I don't even have your excuse of being 20 something, this was only 3-4 years ago. Grrr.....
I might have done the same thing. Costs do add up despite your most frugal efforts, and sometimes you impulsively draw the line. Enough! The $20 fee for the Colosseum is exorbitant - though the Roma Pass might have mitigated some of the cost.

Much of tourism involves paying money to do and see things out of guilt or obligation.

Hector

Post by Hector » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:41 pm

Regret is kind of harsh word. I am sure that many of us would do things differently if we could go back. But whatever we did in the past was something that we wanted to do at that moment and felt good doing so.

enderland

Post by enderland » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:43 am

As a person currently living their 20s this was a really good thread for me to read.

I appreciate all the wisdom and thoughts!

ubermax

Post by ubermax » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:43 am

Hector wrote:Regret is kind of harsh word. I am sure that many of us would do things differently if we could go back. But whatever we did in the past was something that we wanted to do at that moment and felt good doing so.
+1 - Hector's response prompted me to look back at my post on this topic and it was true with hindsight as so many things are in life - and continuing along the lines of Hector, many decisions in life are rationalized at the time with incomplete or less than perfect information but the decision and the rationale seemed right at the time - and as humans we make decisions that are a reflection of our individual make-up and we become trapped in our inflexibility ; and so I do agree that "regret" is a little harsh.

Many thoughtful responses on the OP's topic - those by Barefootgirl and Protagonist based on their personal experiences come immediately to mind and I agree with Protagonist that many material things provide only short term joy and that money takes a back seat to many other things as one's life winds down.
Last edited by ubermax on Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:03 pm

1978 New Delhi. Didnt buy that red fox jacket for my wife. It was stunning.

sambb

Post by sambb » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:00 pm

I regret renting for 10 years from age 20-30, when i could've bought a small condo and made money on it. Or at least broke even. That cost me a lot.

I regret not buying the regular honda or toyota, instead of more exotic cars that broke down and cost more money.

I regret that I didn't buy a few nice suits and ties early in my professional career, and a few nice pairs of allen edmonds shoes.

i regret not buying that plane ticket to europe in college to explore the world

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:16 pm

My main regret also involves foregoing professional photography (is there a pattern here?); in my case of myself in my doctoral regalia. I was a mid-life graduate and didn't think I needed or wanted a professional portrait; just give me the diploma and let me get a job. So I let my then s.o. (who, ironically, was a lens designer) take some photos. He was, unbeknown to both of us, in the early stages of Parkinson's and the photos were terrible. I look like a spirit emanation in red and black. I think I would have taken some pleasure today, many years later, and long retired, in having had one quality portrait from that day.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:00 pm

I collect photographs and one that I have wanted for years is the following:
though the story about it is not quite the way it was presented, it's still a touching photo

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... lowers.jpg

Twenty years ago I stopped bidding at $1800 (it went for $2,200 plus 15%, plus tax).
It comes up periodically and about 5 years ago I gave up bidding.
Last week the bid was almost $12,000 with tax.
I may just make a copy (which has zero value); though I would have enjoyed having
an original - though not willing to spend $12,000.

Topic Author
jackpullo997

Post by jackpullo997 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:29 pm

sambb wrote:I regret renting for 10 years from age 20-30, when i could've bought a small condo and made money on it. Or at least broke even. That cost me a lot.

I regret not buying the regular honda or toyota, instead of more exotic cars that broke down and cost more money.
You don't seem to understand the intent of this thread.

It's is to list regrets of being TOO careful with money in the past.
Regretting doing "the right thing"
The items listed as forms of NOT doing the "right thing" with money.

Those are the very things supposed to be listed in this thread.
For example, I regret buying Hondas when I could have driven much more exotic cars in my 20s.

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:03 am

Professor Emeritus wrote:
jackpullo997 wrote: Your wife was building computers in 1984? How did she get into that? Wow!
Her first build was an S-100 in 1978. The second was a reconstruction of a North star The third build was a CP-M system in 1982, which was the system I used to learn Wordstar.

My father in law and Mother in law were both computer pioneers. FIL built the first Altair system I ever saw.

My first job was working with the NorthStar Advantage. It basically was an all in one unit that ran CP/M. MicroPro, which produced Wordstar, had their NY corporate office in the same building as ours. I worked for Micro Masters and we frequently received calls for people looking for WordStar. BTW, NorthStar computers were first known as Kentucky Fried Computers (they changed that rather quickly).

Mmarkc

Post by Mmarkc » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:51 pm

As many others have said there needs to be balance. I can look back and see that I was saving for the sake of saving with no other purpose. I managed to save between 40 and 50% of my take home and in my late 30's I had enough retirement savings for more years that I would ever see. From the time of my college graduation I had a budget and I stuck to it, no deviation permitted. In 2005 there were two events that made me see my life was out of balance:

For their 50th anniversary my parents bought tickets for my family (them, my two sisters, and me) to go on a cruise to Alaska. I didn't go because I did not want to tip the ship staff and so I missed the last vacation my family took together.

My one vice has been baseball. After college I never went to a game since the cost of tickets was a frivolous expense but I would listen to White Sox games on the radio (no budget for TV). A friend from high school managed to get tickets to game 4 of the 2005 World Series in Houston. I didn't go because the $275 for plane fare from Chicago was not part of my budget and so I missed seeing my team win the series.

I really saw them that I was a 40 year old single guy with loads of savings but with no intersts outside of work and no friends.

Don't pass up experiences that will not come again.

tj

Post by tj » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:15 pm

Mmarkc wrote:As many others have said there needs to be balance. I can look back and see that I was saving for the sake of saving with no other purpose. I managed to save between 40 and 50% of my take home and in my late 30's I had enough retirement savings for more years that I would ever see. From the time of my college graduation I had a budget and I stuck to it, no deviation permitted. In 2005 there were two events that made me see my life was out of balance:

For their 50th anniversary my parents bought tickets for my family (them, my two sisters, and me) to go on a cruise to Alaska. I didn't go because I did not want to tip the ship staff and so I missed the last vacation my family took together.

My one vice has been baseball. After college I never went to a game since the cost of tickets was a frivolous expense but I would listen to White Sox games on the radio (no budget for TV). A friend from high school managed to get tickets to game 4 of the 2005 World Series in Houston. I didn't go because the $275 for plane fare from Chicago was not part of my budget and so I missed seeing my team win the series.

I really saw them that I was a 40 year old single guy with loads of savings but with no intersts outside of work and no friends.

Yikes. have you loosened up since then?

Mmarkc

Post by Mmarkc » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:53 am

It has been really hard. I still have the naggi g feeling I am being a fool with my money if I spend on anything that is not a necessity. In 2006 I did finally buy a car so that I wasn't bound to Metra and the CTA and I took my first vacation to see my younger sister in North Carolina and to finally see the ocean. I still try to save at least 35% of my take home.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:02 am

Life is a balancing act. It can be tough to figure out the right balance, but I do tilt toward experiences with loved ones and have no regrets about that. I honestly only regret not spending more time and money to learn about low cost index fund investing earlier--could have saved a lot smarter and had our investments grow a LOT better than they did.

We didn't save as much as we wanted early in our marriage as we were struggling to pay our mortgage and other bills, while still doing some travel and save what we could for retirement. The balance we chose worked for us and we have no regrets.

stemikger

Post by stemikger » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:04 am

jackpullo997 wrote:If you could go back in time, what are some things you wish you spent the money on,
but at the time, you were too focused on saving, investing, early retirement, whatever.

What are some things you wish you didn't deny yourself ?
In hindsight, things that would have been worth spending on?
Or spending a premium on.
Nothig big, but there was a small item about 8 years ago when I went to Disney World with my wife, daughter, my wife's sister and her two girls. We went on the ride Dinosaur in Disney's Hollywood Studios and they snap a picture while you are in the ride and it was so great, but none of us wanted to go for the $30 bucks. Not sure why, but we didn't. Other than that, I wish I would have spent more on experiences (i.e. vacations). I really never did and still don't desire material items. It's just the way I am, so I would have to go with experiences.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!

obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:12 am

I regret not spending more on my life.
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell

market timer

Post by market timer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:54 am

Surprisingly, nothing comes to mind. At this point in my life, I feel like I've struck a pretty good balance between saving and consumption. There are a few purchases I've regretted making, like a $1K road bike that I only ever used twice before reselling for $200. I'd like to buy a luxury car and a second house, but given my current budget (and lack of a job), those aren't realistic.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:49 am

tj wrote:
Best (at the time) splurge We bought an original Model 1 Compaq Deskpro in 1984 1 week after it was introduced. It cost $2000
It's crazy to me how much computers have gone down in cost. I just got a new computer with 16 gigs of ram and 1 terabyte hard drive for less than $600.
I bought one of the first VCRs, costing into the 4 figures. Mechanical switches and a lovely walnut case.

What I regret not buying is a lovely large orange bunny in a market in Paris. I was afraid it was being sold for food, but I had no idea if it would be allowed into the United States, and what would I do if I were stranded in Paris with a large bunny, would I be able to rent a room in a hotel, etc. Also, I don't speak French, so no help there in figuring out all of this.

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:36 am

obgyn65 wrote:I regret not spending more on my life.
What does that mean?

roamin survivor

Post by roamin survivor » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:22 pm

Mmarkc wrote:As many others have said there needs to be balance. I can look back and see that I was saving for the sake of saving with no other purpose. I managed to save between 40 and 50% of my take home and in my late 30's I had enough retirement savings for more years that I would ever see. From the time of my college graduation I had a budget and I stuck to it, no deviation permitted. In 2005 there were two events that made me see my life was out of balance:

Well, that's not depressing at all, no siree. :(

Right now at 29, I'm on the same path and yet I cannot seem to force myself off of it.

I've given up pretty much all my hobbies and giving up the last one now even though there's a huge convention going on right now in my city. I've got friends going and coming in, but not going to be able to spend much time with them. It's not horrendously expensive, but it takes up a lot of time. And what am I doing instead? Closing a refi and practicing a 15 min speech to give on Mon and Wed.

I'm also saving a lot as well due to my situations; trying to get FT work and a sense of a career, 6-fig debt, and prepping for a bankrupt and retired dad. And it just seems neverending of the work and studying needed for careers. Heck, I'm even taking a weeklong trip to China in two months, but I feel anxiety about it because I spent $1K for it.

It's funny though, knowing what the situation is but not being able to shift. I know I'm burning out and out of balance, and that in these sort of situations, people tend to end up seeing in black-or-white.

Abe

Post by Abe » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:49 pm

Sheepdog wrote:I really try not to have any regrets, as regrets seem to hurt more. Besides, nothing changes with regrets. You can only change the future, not the past. That's basically what Lorek said
I agree with this 100%. Why worry about something you did or didn't do in the past?
Slow and steady wins the race.

Abe

Post by Abe » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:52 pm

I bought a pair of shoes one time, and later I discovered they hurt my feet. :happy

oops, sorry, this is supposed to be about things you regret not spending money on.
Slow and steady wins the race.

skjoldur

Post by skjoldur » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:06 pm

When I was in my mid-twenties I got some important advice that had a big impact on me.

I was unemployed and anxious about finding work. An opportunity came up to travel with a very good friend for what would obviously be a unique and un-repeatable experience. I was going to not go in order to be 'responsible.' A friend of mine told me "after a few years you will not even be able to remember how much money you saved by not going or how you spent the time, but if you go you will remember it for the rest of your life." Thanks to him I went. He was so right.

My goal is to have an awesome, satisfying, enlightening, rewarding life and hopefully leave the world better in some way for having been here. The point of taking care with money is to enable that goal, but the money itself is just one tool of many required to achieve it.

(EDIT: just to make clear, I know this is not exactly answering the original question. It was a close call with regret that taught me how to weigh the potential for regret when making choices.")

acejacksingh

Post by acejacksingh » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:23 pm

enderland wrote:As a person currently living their 20s this was a really good thread for me to read.

I appreciate all the wisdom and thoughts!
+1

gator15

Post by gator15 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:48 pm

I'm not sure if I've gotten to the point were I regret not going, but I sometimes think of the last two World Cups I didn't attend. I'm a soccer fan and had two tickets to two World Cup games in South Africa in 2010. I bought the tics several months before the event. When I tried to purchase plane tics, lodging and transportation I discovered the trip would cost close to $15k. As a result, I sold my tics and didn't go. I looked into going to Brazil for the World Cup in 2014 and was priced out. I was particularly interested in South Africa and Brazil because I had never been there and I wanted to experience the World Cup in those countries. It's not all bad though. I did attend the 2006 World Cup in Germany and it was the best sporting event I've ever attended and I've been to several sporting events. I have no interest in going to Qatar in 2018.

electronicpage

Post by electronicpage » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:22 pm

I find it interesting that no one has mentioned charity. I have spent a few years as an intense savor, so I am starting to catch up to bogleheads (I'm 44, have about 500,000 saved so far for retirement). I expect to get married in the next year and know that my future partner is particularly interested in cutting our expenses in order to give to charity, and I appreciate this value, though I will have to consider what I am comfortable with...

obgyn65

Post by obgyn65 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:25 pm

I regret not spending more money on myself, on my parents, on my family. As mentioned many times before, I prefer to spend money creating and maintaining free clinics abroad. These clinical activities abroad will soon become my main budget item. I spend more on patients I have never seen before than on me. There must be something wrong with me...
HomerJ wrote:
obgyn65 wrote:I regret not spending more on my life.
What does that mean?
"The two most important days in someone's life are the day that they are born and the day they discover why." -John Maxwell

Frugal Disciple

Post by Frugal Disciple » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:33 pm

electronicpage wrote:I find it interesting that no one has mentioned charity. I have spent a few years as an intense savor, so I am starting to catch up to bogleheads (I'm 44, have about 500,000 saved so far for retirement). I expect to get married in the next year and know that my future partner is particularly interested in cutting our expenses in order to give to charity, and I appreciate this value, though I will have to consider what I am comfortable with...
We regularly contribute ~10% of our gross to various charities. I have never regretted any amount donated. Part of that is because we are very diligent with researching the organizations to which we donate. I could imagine people regretting a donation to an organization they later found out was using funds improperly, but I would be very surprised if you were to find anyone that regretted contributing to a charity that they trust.
**Insert witty and/or insightful quote here**

McCharley

Post by McCharley » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:22 pm

Well, like some of these other folks I went to Venice and did NOT do a gondola.

It was over $100 which was a lot for me then, plus it was SO TOURISTY. :annoyed

I don't regret this. Walking around the non-tourist areas is magical. Venice is like Dr. Seuss realized.

On the same topic: Every cheap tool I've ever bought has made me wish I had purchased the "real" version. :(

tj

Post by tj » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:46 pm

McCharley wrote:Well, like some of these other folks I went to Venice and did NOT do a gondola.

I don't regret this. Walking around the non-tourist areas is magical. Venice is like Dr. Seuss realized.

On the same topic: Every cheap tool I've ever bought has made me wish I had purchased the "real" version. :(
I regret doing the gondola. I found Venice to be a dump, I found those canals where the gondolas were to literally be a dump. Good pizza though.

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:32 pm

Should have bought safer cars - put too much emphasis on cost, reliability and squeezing the last drop of value out them. Some excuse when just starting out and funds were scarce - no excuse to continue that short sighted practice. Similar cost vs value decisions especially in the early years.

Former Usher

Re: Frugality regret: What thing do you regret not spending on?

Post by Former Usher » Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:51 am

Housing. I wish we had bought a larger house. After 8 years, it's getting tiresome to be working at the kitchen table if I need to bring work home. My hobby sits in storage in the basement. Sure, I understand the argument that in another 10-12 years after the kids have finished college that we won't need as much space, but in another 30-40 years I won't require any space at all. :happy

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:38 pm

Great thread.

After reviewing other's answers and pondering the question...

1. Not spending more on paying for a photographer and videographer (cheap or professional) for every major event (kids birthdays and get together with friends). Not such a big deal now as my wife and I are just too busy to look back at pics we took just last week, but am sure in 20 yrs. wish we had more to go back and look at on a Sunday night.

2. Not spending enough on more day to day help which would free up more time to spend with wife and family. We are lucky financially so we already have someone cleaning and doing laundry once a week and a great nanny for the kids. I do think we should just spend the money and hire a cook as well to make some nutritional meals for the kids and ourselves.

I ALWAYS have this nagging feeling I will be old one day with a wad of money and think "Boy I knew i would end up with this wad of cash so why didn't I just spend more money when i was younger to free up more of my time". Sometimes I think I plan for the worst case scenario SO MUCH I miss out when the more probable occurs. This likely will be my biggest regret.

Good luck.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

6miths

Post by 6miths » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:22 pm

Booze, women and fast cars.... :happy

Don't think I suffered in material things but could have done with more time... worked too hard.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

david99

Post by david99 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:33 pm

I regret not spending more on vacations and travel. I'm not getting any younger and it's not a great idea to think that I'll take great vacations when I retire. Maybe I'll have health issues when I'm retired and I'll have to stay close to home.

dougger5

Post by dougger5 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:24 pm

Back in the late-90's, I worked as a contractor for the Martin Guitar Company. Vendors/Contractors are eligible to buy their guitars for 50% of retail, IIRC. Even at that, it was a good chunk of change back then.

But I wish I'd have pulled the trigger.

I play mostly electric now, and my Takamines serve the purpose well enough when acoustic is called for, so I still can't really justify buying a Martin at full price. But it'd be nice to have a 20 yo one to call upon for special occasions.
"I've been ionized, but I'm okay now." -Buckaroo Banzai

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:12 pm

Not many. What I've done is what got me to where I am.

A few vacations. Mainly a few places friends were going, I wanted to go, and did not due to money. It wasn't that I didn't have the money, it was that I chose not to spend it. There are so many places to travel, and some are uncommon and you don't get many opportunities to go with people you get along with. Putting it into perspective though, I visited over 30 countries before I was 35 as I always valued, to some degree, travel.

Beyond that, I have few regrets. I've opened up the purse strings so to speak lately, but can't say I am enjoying things that much more. It is more I overlook/don't bother with things like I did when I had less money. For example, before I would run to 3 or more grocery stores when having a party to get the best deal on almost everything. Now, I think I don't have the time for that. I still go to two and try and do the best I can on price.I guess I feel I can place more value on convenience than I did before.

armywife

Post by armywife » Wed Aug 24, 2016 6:41 am

Some technology things I never figured out:

1. Some kind of electronic music (never had an IPod etc) so I mostly listen to music when I can play my CDs or radio. Bought Apple / IMusic on a computer once, but it got wiped out / erased somehow and I was irritated that I spent $$$ on electronic media that I couldn't figure out how to archive or replace.

2. Some type of easy-to-use camcorder ... husband had one but it never seemed to work right for me. As a result I don't really have any video of my husband or anything with his voice.

pennywise

Post by pennywise » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:03 am

In hindsight I regret not updating my kitchen sooner. When we bought our house we had other projects that were more pressing than the original 1950 kitchen, not to mention children to rai$e, and by the time we had funds to do a full remodel, my youngest was starting college. Having experienced how much easier and more pleasant it is Every Single Day using a functional and updated kitchen-complete with dishwasher-I bitterly regret that I spent 20+ years in such suboptimal conditions in the old space.

Thus my advice to others to spend on things that make a daily impact on one's happiness!

jasc15

Post by jasc15 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:44 am

A mix of heavy and light regret in this thread. My recent (light) regret was a camera lens that I had on my list for about a year or so. It is a nikkor 35mm f/1.8 lens whose price has been nearly etched in stone at $196 as long as I have been eyeing it. About a month ago it was for some reason reduced to about $165, and this coincided with Amazon prime day, where I could have got another 30% off that price, getting a $196 lens for $116. I decided it was not a necessary purchase, and I said "screw it". Prime day ended, and the lens is now back at $196.

I discussed this with a friend, and how ridiculous it is having such grief over something so petty. My wife and I will probably blow the difference in price on dining out once or twice without thinking much of it. I guess it's knowing that I could have had it cheaper.

pivoprussia

Post by pivoprussia » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:49 am

Ivygirl wrote:I almost regretted something.

I used to live in a pretty tough neighborhood in a certain hot and muggy city that didn't use enough air conditioning. I had packed my laundry to the laundromat on my back and the place was like a furnace, so I went outside and sat on the step, just wishing the dang washer would hurry up so I could go home, because I had air conditioning at home. No way could I leave my laundry unsupervised in that place.

A young man came down the sidewalk looking pretty draggled and beat and he asked me for some money to buy something cold to drink. All I had was some quarters to dry my laundry and I told him so. He went inside, evidently to ask other people, and he came back out fast, slamming the door, with the most awful expression of rage and rejection on his face. Evidently nobody would give him anything and I guess they had been pretty rough running him off. He went off down the street with his head down and his shoulders hunched.

Following a young man around can be misinterpreted so I sat there worrying about it until he was almost out of sight. I caught up with him two blocks later and gave him my quarters. The change of expression on his face made me so happy that I did. He looked as though he had been born again from a very dark place. I packed my wet laundry home and hung it up to dry and it was all OK.

I'm so glad I don't have that to regret.
Great memory. I had similar situation. Was heading to see wife's family. Saw a homeless guy with a dog on an exit we go off to go eat. I thought about him all dinner. I order a to-go meal and stopped on our way. Gave me a nice feeling...and I did ask him to share a little with his dog!

This part of things we don't regret reminds me of the book, What Happy People Know. One of the best points of the book is doing for others leaves a lasting happiness. Far greater than most other "pleasures" in life.

jrhampt

Post by jrhampt » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:12 am

There are a couple of cousins' weddings I wish I had gone to several years ago. I think it was a combination of money and vacation time that held me back, but I regret not having made more effort to go. Since then, I realized I was going to more and more funerals and needed to show up for the happy occasions, too. I have reformed and now go to graduations, retirements, and other get togethers as often as I can.

I also regret not taking the train from Lauterbrunnen up to JungFrauJoch and the other high peaks when I was on my honeymoon in Switzerland. It seemed expensive at the time, but it was probably worth it. If we go back someday (and we would like to), I will not make that mistake twice.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:39 am

Not marrying my first girl friend at age 18, because I was broke. If you're in love, get married. Don't worry about other things, as they have ways of working themselves out. Other than that, none.

:happy
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

41Fin

Post by 41Fin » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:44 pm

Not ponying up the cash to study abroad.

jasc15

Post by jasc15 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:12 pm

jrhampt wrote:I also regret not taking the train from Lauterbrunnen up to JungFrauJoch and the other high peaks when I was on my honeymoon in Switzerland. It seemed expensive at the time, but it was probably worth it. If we go back someday (and we would like to), I will not make that mistake twice.
I've been 3 times, most recently on my honeymoon. Two of the 3 times it was too cloudy to be worth it (honeymoon included), but on the one clear blue day I only went as far as Kleine Scheidegg, which is about half the way up. I should have sprung for the extra 50 francs or whatever.

Since the time with my wife was so crappy, I promised we would go back and try again.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:41 pm

McCharley wrote:Well, like some of these other folks I went to Venice and did NOT do a gondola.

Yeah I passed on the Tower of London and going up the Eiffel Tower..I did go up the Arc de Triomph. But I regret passing on the others...Blenheim Palace..you can't see everything I guess. But I really was just got so beat from all the walking and schlepping around and was short of money. Too tired to walk up to Sacre Coeur. When in Honolulu I passed on going to Oahu to see an old friend whom I never saw again because she passed.

As someone else said, travel when you're young and healthy! I just get so overwhelmed by logistics as well as extra cost.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Thu Aug 25, 2016 1:06 pm

I wrote earlier in this thread back in 2014 that I had no regrets on not spending, then last evening as I was driving to a park with my wife and sheepdog to cook out, I remembered something. It was funny and ironic. I brought it up to my love as we drove and we laughed. I was taught a lesson.
In late 1992, I had talked with my wife about us going to a worldwide Rotary convention in Melbourne, Australia in 1993. It would have been for the 5 day convention plus later sightseeing around Australia and maybe even New Zealand. It looked great. My wife was excited. Then, my cheap inner self took over, the one panic saving for my retirement 6 years later. I said to her that we can't afford it. She said we could. I said NO. She was very disappointed. A short time later she went out and bought her a new big car, a 1993 full size Chrysler Concord with all the extras, a model in it's first month. When she came home with it, she said..."this is our trip to Australia. You shouldn't be so cheap." Oh well. Even then I laughed. The trip to Australia would probably have been cheaper. I never got to Australia and I wish I had.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton