Flagship Rep called me

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mickeyd

Flagship Rep called me

Post by mickeyd » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:44 pm

I have had the same Flagship Rep for about 10+ years. Since I do most of my activity online I have seldom had a need to speak with her about specifics. Sometime during 2013 she called me out of the blue and we had a brief and pleasant general conversation. She seemed very conversant, knowledgeable and understanding about my investment philosophy etc.

Yesterday she called again asking if I enjoyed the recent VG webinar which I signed up for. This conversation lasted almost 30 minutes and allowed both of us to get a better sense of each other. Discussions were about RMD (mine starts 2015) and making a change of AA from 60/40 to 50/50 and getting advice from a VG planner in the future. We parted with the sense that I would call her again in 2015 when my RMD starts and I had a more firm idea as to what I wanted to get done RMDwise and AAchangewise.

Have any of you folks noticed that Flagship reps are reaching out more these days?
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

Tycoon

Re: Flagship Rep called me

Post by Tycoon » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:49 pm

Mine has called 4 or 5 times in the last few months. I'm never home when he calls so I haven't had a chance to speak with him. However, my wife says he sounds nice.
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

Calm Man

Post by Calm Man » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:50 pm

I have had about 4 of them over 15 years. I usually have to speak with mine once or twice a year. But you are in a tough spot now as the last thing I would want is a phone call from Flagship asking if I liked a webinar. Indeed I get a slight heartbeat increase when an unsolicited call comes from them sort of like when a doctor's office calls you unexpectedly. But I know that Vanguard has recognized that 1 high net worth client is worth a lot more than 20 lower ones and are doing everything possible to hold onto those individuals....

investor

Post by investor » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:19 pm

Over the years I have had a few call and they always got my answering machine. My current rep did call and I was home. We talked for a short time. He said he wanted to introduce himself. I asked his age; 32 as I remember. I had the distinct impression that he was trying to find out if all my assets were at vanguard. Almost all my business with Vanguard is via internet. On occasion I call for information. Have yet to get my actual Flagship rep and just use whomever is available from the Flagship pool. Never anything complicated and I am always satisfied with the results

investor

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:26 pm

I always email so I have a hard copy of our thoughts/actions. My Flagship rep has camped out in the mountain behind my home, he knows exactly where I live. He probably wonders how I got to be Flagship. :beer

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:37 pm

Grasshopper wrote:I always email so I have a hard copy of our thoughts/actions. My Flagship rep has camped out in the mountain behind my home, he knows exactly where I live. He probably wonders how I got to be Flagship. :beer
That is moderately humorous.
I'm not Flagship at VG and probably never will be since most of my $$$ is with another provider.
Nonetheless, I feel unsolicited calls like that are a bit intrusive and tend to hit at inopportune times.
Would be better to email or otherwise set a time for a F2F or whatever so you can do a bit of prep ahead of time, no?
Attempted new signature...

BigOil

Post by BigOil » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:19 pm

mickeyd wrote:I have had the same Flagship Rep for about 10+ years. Since I do most of my activity online I have seldom had a need to speak with her about specifics. Sometime during 2013 she called me out of the blue and we had a brief and pleasant general conversation. She seemed very conversant, knowledgeable and understanding about my investment philosophy etc.

Yesterday she called again asking if I enjoyed the recent VG webinar which I signed up for. This conversation lasted almost 30 minutes and allowed both of us to get a better sense of each other. Discussions were about RMD (mine starts 2015) and making a change of AA from 60/40 to 50/50 and getting advice from a VG planner in the future. We parted with the sense that I would call her again in 2015 when my RMD starts and I had a more firm idea as to what I wanted to get done RMDwise and AAchangewise.

Have any of you folks noticed that Flagship reps are reaching out more these days?
I got a call after a webinar. And yes, he asked about non-Vanguard assets we have in our summary page. Nice convo. Not pushy. It was fine and professional. I suppose some folks resent a call unrequested. But one can always decline to chat politely. I think many older folks expect a "real person" not just the web...it's a good practice. Soft sell, and proactive good advice from an investor aligned, fiduciary, mutually owned Company.

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:43 pm

I have only been a Flagship member for a few months. All of my contacts have been through my own initiation with no cold calls from my rep. (his name is Scott). I prefer email as I like things in writing but he seems to be nice enough on the phone.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:59 pm

I am glad I have never signed up for a webinar, let alone watched one.

FafnerMorell

Post by FafnerMorell » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:00 pm

My Flagship rep has camped out in the mountain behind my home, he knows exactly where I live.
"Hey Dad, I think our Vanguard rep is living in the woods behind our house! I found some really worn out Bogle books on top of a sleeping bag near a lean-to made from tree branches"
"OK, let me know if a fight breaks out with that Edwards Jones guy living in the broken-down van down by the stream farther down. Those guys are really territorial"
:D

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:08 pm

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:47 pm

sscritic wrote:I am glad I have never signed up for a webinar, let alone watched one.
+1
My rep emailed me quite a while back. I told her all my assets are with VG, that I'm a BH and that I'd be in touch if I ever need anything. She hasn't bothered me since then.

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:18 am

Grasshopper wrote:I always email so I have a hard copy of our thoughts/actions. My Flagship rep has camped out in the mountain behind my home, he knows exactly where I live. He probably wonders how I got to be Flagship. :beer
Since they all have your street (postal) address, don't they know exactly where you live without camping in your back yard?

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

epilnk

Post by epilnk » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:40 am

Yeah, I got a phone call not long ago. I was a little nonplussed. He asked if I had any questions and I said, "no, I'm cool". So that happened. Not sure why.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:05 am

C'mon folks. If your Flagship rep calls you, then you have a duty to the forum to ask them why the Portfolio Watch tool on the Vanguard web site is so broken. If all of you do it, then maybe it will get fixed.

My Flagship rep won't be calling me, because I don't have Flagship status and don't have a Flagship rep.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:57 pm

mickeyd wrote:Have any of you folks noticed that Flagship reps are reaching out more these days?
I don't have Flagship account, so haven't talked to the rep yet, but are these customer service or their Certified Financial Advisors? I'm still forming an opinion on those folks at Vanguard, but haven't come to the conclusion that they're good guys yet. All advisors cost, but Vanguard may be competing with more aggressive companies who have their advisors call frequently and convince customers to shift funds around (i.e. away from Vanguard). Some people have accounts at multiple companies, so the company that calls gets a chance to steal business, so both (all) companies call. Then there are the even more aggressive companies that cold call. So this might be a case of Vanguard having to do what the rest of the industry does.

Would you trust these folks talking to your mother and advising her?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:01 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (customer service).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

investor

Post by investor » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:04 pm

they are customer service people who give you to the experts if the situation requires it.

investor

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:23 pm

investor wrote:they are customer service people who give you to the experts if the situation requires it.

investor
This is surprising, given how in some companies the customer service agents are extremely restricted in what they can do. Much of what they do is scripted, and they are basically entering data into a computer screen. My guess is that they're using the customer service reps to screen (i.e. make sure the account is big enough) to pass on to a CFP advisor.

I'd be curious what they're advising today, and what they would have done in 2008. If we ever have another great recession, or maybe just during the next pullback/correction, I'll try to remember to give them a call and see what they say. Hopefully by then, I'll have a Flagship account.

FWIW, I was informally involved in a conversation involving an advisor and his relative around 2008/9, and the investor was was concerned about losing money in the 401k plan that was invested in equity funds. This was a middle age couple, both working for the state with good pensions, and the 401k was relative small, maybe $25k. The advisor (I believe rightly) suggested putting it all in equities fund, but they were afraid, so wound up switching everything over to a stable fund, which I believe it is likely still in right now, and it's been stable alright (i.e. no growth!). So even when one gets good advice, it needs to be followed up upon (i.e. a lot of things can go wrong).

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:48 pm

inbox788 wrote:
investor wrote:they are customer service people who give you to the experts if the situation requires it.

investor
The advisor (I believe rightly) suggested putting it all in equities fund, but they were afraid, so wound up switching everything over to a stable fund, which I believe it is likely still in right now, and it's been stable alright (i.e. no growth!).
Don't tell that to all the people who've been posting about those 7%-guaranteed-for-life stable value funds that they're invested in.

Yes, I know, not available to the general public, but it'd be nice...

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:28 am

The only time mine rep calls, is when he's returning a VM message I leave for him. Personalty, I liked it better before I had a certain rep I was to contact.
He's never available.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

Leeraar

Post by Leeraar » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:06 am

rustymutt wrote:The only time mine rep calls, is when he's returning a VM message I leave for him. Personalty, I liked it better before I had a certain rep I was to contact.
He's never available.
I believe you can go on the website and schedule a time for the rep. to call you.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:32 am

I've been Flagship for over six years and they're never called me. I do very few transactions and when I do they've done through their web site.

My rep changed about 3 years ago and my new rep sent me a message introducing himself and to call if I wanted anything. I didn't so I never called.

It wouldn't bother me if he called from time to time but I'm not unhappy that he hasn't.

I trust the collective wisdom of this board more than I would any single Vanguard rep.