Marvin vs. Andersen Windows: The Eternal Struggle

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
danwhite77

Marvin vs. Andersen Windows: The Eternal Struggle

Post by danwhite77 »

Among many home improvement projects, I am determining which brand of window to use to replace approximately two dozen windows in our house. Based on countless google searches, including Bogleheads forum searches, and wading through dozens or hundreds of blog posts and comments (no doubt more than half were written by salespeople for particular brands), I've narrowed the brands down to Marvin or Andersen. From there, the waters become incredibly murky with seemingly equal adherents for each side. The proponents for each side may attempt to denigrate the other, but broadly each company seems to have a very positive reputation with many satisfied customers. I suspect that I would be happy with the top of the line product for either brand (Marvin Ultimate Clad or Andersen 400). I've also met with three installers for quotes, and here are my thoughts / questions so far:

Renewal by Andersen (RBA) engages in sales tactics that almost shock the conscience. To characterize their approach as "high pressure sales tactics" really doesn't do it justice. After a nearly four hour war of attrition with the salesperson's very polished presentation, and discounts for signing on the dotted line before the rep left, I was finally freed. After the experience I realized why RBA repeatedly asks customers to have their significant other at the sales pitch. Because if I came home from work to be told by DW that she had spent $40k on windows while I was gone, I would immediately move to void the deal. Many people complain about RBA repeatedly asking for everyone on the title to be present at the sales pitch. Now I know why, because high pressure sales tactics only work when both of the marks, er, I mean customers, are in the room to be subjected to the pitch. Not a bad scam. And they don't even sell real Andersen windows.

Right now Marvin Ultimate Clad and the Andersen 400 are 1-2 in Consumer Reports and have sterling reputations. I've tried to not let my bad experience with RBA color my opinion of Andersen overall. However, my Boglehead radar are perking up because I can't seem to easily find information on the 400. When I went to the Marvin page for detailed technical information for the Ultimate Clad, I found everything I wanted (and more) in a matter of seconds. For example, it's very easy to determine that the window is wood and clad with aluminum. When I go to the Andersen site, I can't find anything other than blanket statements about the greatness of the 400 and some impenetrable technical documents that (as far as I have found) don't even specify the materials used to construct the window. I'm fairly certain it's a vinyl clad wood window, but other than references to something called "Perma-Shield" there's little (if any) easily understandable description of an Andersen 400 window.

My question is this: has anyone else had this experience? Can anyone point me to somewhere on the Andersen Windows site where they explain their product in a detailed but clear manner? Right now, Andersen's website reminds me of trying to get information regarding my 401(k) at work - it's nearly impossible and (as you might guess) the answers that I have received are not good. Also, if anyone has opinions regarding either brand, feel free to chime in. Thanks.

Epilogue Edit:
2/16/2015

To anyone looking at this thread for guidance, I ultimately went with Marvin Ultimate Clad windows. They're great. Unfortunately, I can't speak to how they would compare to Andersen, even at the sales pitch level, because I was unable to find a sales person that would talk to me about "standard" Andersen windows (i.e., not Renewal). I'm not sure if Marvin just has this market completely dominated, or replacement window installers hate Andersen for selling Renewal which directly competes with their services. At any rate, the Marvin windows are terrific and we like our Provia doors as well.
Last edited by danwhite77 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.
Novine

Re: Marvin vs. Andersen Windows: The Eternal Struggle

Post by Novine »

How many windows are you having replaced and what kind of windows are you replacing?
Topic Author
danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 »

Novine wrote:How many windows are you having replaced and what kind of windows are you replacing?
24 total and the current windows are builders grade 1967 originals. We're doing "new construction" windows - i.e., everything is coming out not just the glass panes.

Edited to add that they're double hung windows of various standard sizes and geometries.
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

I was faced with the same question of Marvin vs Andersen 400 about 18 months ago.

I went with Andersen 400 mainly because of cost. It was cheaper and no one had negative things to say about Andersen 400 windows and doors. So I figured Andersen 400 would not be a mistake.

I am happy with the decision.

Honestly you won't be disappointed with either choice.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Have had Andersen 400 for several years, never really considered Marvin. This was primarily due to cost and there wasn't any apparent benefit as compared to Andersen. No issues so far.
Rich in Michigan

Post by Rich in Michigan »

I looked at both this past Fall and went with Marvin. I couldn't be happier. They had some minor advantages over the Andersen 400 for what I wanted and the prices were close enough for me.

Honestly, as long as you have a good contractor you can't go wrong with either.

50% of the game is picking a really good window and 50% is picking a really good contractor. I was amazed at the attention to detail from our contractor. Combine that with a high quality window and you will have no regrets either way.

But yes, I chose Marvin and am very happy with my choice.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

danwhite77 wrote: After the experience I realized why RBA repeatedly asks customers to have their significant other at the sales pitch.
Years ago I made an appointment with a company for an estimate for something, I forget what at this point, maybe floor covering, and two minutes later the salesman called back and said his boss required that "my husband" be there or he could not do an estimate. I was and am a single woman. Needless to say, they did not get an appointment or my business.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I have some Anderson windows and also 2 sliding doors that replaced older products. I am very pleased with them. I have not ever priced Marvin although they have a great reputation too. I would think there are many dealers of Anderson in your area. Can you provide specs to dealers and get quotes from several? Also, have you determined who your contractor will be for installation? The contractor could help you with this.
Fletch

Post by Fletch »

Based on my experience, here is something to consider as you make your decision.

About 8 years ago we decided to replace our 20 windows including a large bay window and a glass sliding door with "top of the line Schuco triple pane and e-coated" windows after much research (internet and talking with people and interviewing several contractors and window sellers). We selected a great contractor. The windows had a lifetime guarantee and the contractor provided the same lifetime warranty dealing with any installation problems that would come up. Total cost was about $20k. As a side note, be sure to select an excellent contractor that knows how to install the windows as the weather proofness and energy effectiveness is heavily influenced by the installation quality - no matter how good of quality the windows themselves are.

Approximately one month after the installation was completed (excellent window quality and quality workmanship by the contractor), Schuco, a German company, decided to abandon the United States residential market and the installation contractor went out of business. The point: even though the windows are still great, the "lifetime" warranties are now worthless. Do your best to investigate the stability of the company you end up selecting and likewise the contractor. Best wishes.

... Fletch
Prudence

Post by Prudence »

About five years ago, I got bids from several companies to replace all of our windows (house built in 1970) and chose Anderson Renewal. We decided to go with the best because the house is such an important asset. The windows were very expensive. Quality is excellent. Appearance is amazingly good. The windows look like wood, except for the sashes, of course. The management and installation team were excellent - extremely professional, neat, and clean. I feel secure in believing Anderson will be around to fix any problems.
Topic Author
danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 »

frugaltype wrote: Years ago I made an appointment with a company for an estimate for something, I forget what at this point, maybe floor covering, and two minutes later the salesman called back and said his boss required that "my husband" be there or he could not do an estimate. I was and am a single woman. Needless to say, they did not get an appointment or my business.
During my experience with RBA, I felt like I was a "lead" in the movie Glengarry Glen Ross.

Always
Be
Closing
Topic Author
danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 »

Thanks, everyone for your thoughts. I view the Andersen v. Marvin competition as a great win for consumers. It's like buying a DSLR. Whether you buy from Canon or Nikon (and of course each has an army of proponents), you really can't go wrong - both products are fantastic.

And also, all of your points regarding installation are well taken. I am using Angie's List and other resources to try and find a top flight contractor. It's not a perfect process, of course, Angie's List gets manipulated to some extent and many of the people giving their contractor straight As have no idea what they're evaluating, but I think I'll be able to find a reputable installation company.
Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner »

I have heard the same comparison, its like buying a DSLR. I was going to say go support the local economy and see which one is headquartered closer to you. Apparently both are in Minnesota.
Topic Author
danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 »

Andyrunner wrote:I have heard the same comparison, its like buying a DSLR. I was going to say go support the local economy and see which one is headquartered closer to you. Apparently both are in Minnesota.
That's correct, and from what I'm told by some of the sales reps they even source their glass from the same supplier in Minnesota.
Rumpole

Post by Rumpole »

I work in the window industry, and deal with Marvin and Andersen both regularly.

The Andersen and Marvin products you are looking at are both high quality- you really couldn't go wrong with either. As previous commenters mentioned, finding a good contractor is half the battle. The one area that Marvin exceeds Andersen in my opinion is in customer support after the sale. something you hopefully will never have to test.

I'll mention, in case you don't know, that the glass, spacer, energy efficient coatings, argon gas fill, mutin bars (called the insulated glazing unit) for both companies come from the same third party supplier - so there won't be any difference in quality there.

(As I was typing this, danwhite77 commened that they use the same supplier for glass. This is true, but it is not just the glass, as mentioned above).
Feb29

Post by Feb29 »

When I replaced 29 casement windows about 5 years ago I got bids from Marvin and RBA. I liked the RBA product as it was a composite material (Fibrex) that looked like it would have good durability. The Marvins were fiberglass and were comparable, although the price was somewhat higher than RBA. I went with RBA and got discounts reducing the price from 30K to 25K. RBA required that we use their installers so there'd be no issue with install problems or warranties. Their installation crew did a good job and replaced the windows in one day. The windows really enhance our home, and I have been happy with my choice.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I am uncertain what consideration you have given to the type of glass you will be getting and if both brands being considered offer some flexibility. I am almost certain that the Marvins offer choices of solar gain properties and depending where the windows are in your house, you would want different glass for different orientations. In the Upper Midwest west facing windows will want low solar gain while those on the south warrant high solar gain. I wanted to be sure you considered this.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

Have a look at Eagle windows.

Eagle window construction is wood interior with an extruded aluminum exterior. Company was bought by Anderson and is now listed as Anderson "Architectural Series." I have both casement and double-hung windows from them and would purchase again.
davebarnes

Not a struggle

Post by davebarnes »

Buy Pella
A nerd living in Denver
MnD

Post by MnD »

We replaced 34 1950's windows and frames down to the studs with Milgard Ultra solid fiberglass windows (new construction style).
Mostly casement to match the original architecture and a few sliders where the original casements had stuck out into outdoor living space.

We spent months comparing Anderson wood, RBA, Pella, Marvin wood aluminum clad and had issues and concerns with all of them.
Wood can shrink and swell with humidity/dryness and Colorado although mostly dry can have humid times (monsoon season) and huge range in humidity between wettest and driest months. Any vinyl can get beat up/discolored by high Colorado UV over the years ruling out vinyl cladding or vinyl windows.
The Pella frames were too thick - just didn't like the look.
My feeling with RBA is that a lot of the money was going into their sales and marketing costs versus the product.

Six years later we have zero regrets. The fiberglass windows are incredibly strong and holding up well with zero maintenance.
On the inside we went with painted wood frames and sills instead of stained wood.
The outside frames are Alcoa factory custom color-coated aluminum coil stock over wood.

We wanted nice looking windows with absolute minimum maintenance and no sticking windows or UV issues and I believe we succeeded.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
Levett

Post by Levett »

Rich in Michigan wrote:

50% of the game is picking a really good window and 50% is picking a really good contractor. I was amazed at the attention to detail from our contractor. Combine that with a high quality window and you will have no regrets either way.

That's been exactly our experience with Andersen and Pella. For the installation of the latter (four large windows in foyer), the installer wasn't just a contractor--he was an artist! :D

Lev
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

frugaltype wrote:
danwhite77 wrote: After the experience I realized why RBA repeatedly asks customers to have their significant other at the sales pitch.
Years ago I made an appointment with a company for an estimate for something, I forget what at this point, maybe floor covering, and two minutes later the salesman called back and said his boss required that "my husband" be there or he could not do an estimate. I was and am a single woman. Needless to say, they did not get an appointment or my business.

My wife handles all contractors, period. We needed to replace three windows. One guy came over to quote out the job. He refused to give her a quote without me there. I was watching a football game that afternoon. He came down and interrupted me. I told him that we did not need his quote and that he could leave.

Egads, my wife handles million dollar decisions at work, and he doesn't think she is capable of making an $1800 decisions. Unbelievable.
arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan »

Our new construction has ~40 Andersen 200-400 windows. I agonized over Pella/Andersen/Marvin and read a bunch of gardenweb posts - basically kind of a Camry v Accord question.
Ended up concluding based on Gardenweb what everyone else here has said - go with what window your installer is most familiar/competent.
Our Andersens have held up great, but its only been 1 year.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Sunrise Windows

I have RBA in two bedrooms and a bathroom (seven windows) and Sunrise in the most of the rest of the house (16 windows). I'd love to replace the RBA with Sunrise.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Ah yes, I just went through this.......the memories :oops:
OP - I went with Andersen 400 installed over the course of September through October - all 10 windows :shock: - originally it was supposed to be 4 windows, then my wife wanted a new bay window (she got that), then a change order required more windows. :o All told, the contractor told me the windows cost over $10K - double paned, low e, argon gas, vinyl clad on the outside, wood covering on the inside. This winter was a brutal one - not one single complaint about their performance, beautiful. My home is south-facing and usually cooks in the sun - those rooms with those windows were noticeably more comfortable, not sure if the low-e had anything to do with it, but the mrs. is very satisfied. It's the other windows that I'm not looking forward to replacing - I've had RBA try to shop on replacing the original Andersens that remain in place, I almost dread hearing what the price tag will be.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I replaced my windows 5 years ago. I went with Marvin Integrity, as they seemed to give the most bang for the buck and got favorable reviews, as well as being quite attractive....my home is about 130 years old and some replacement windows just don't fit architecturally.

The Andersen windows that are sold via big box outlets like Home Depot got much more spotty reviews and, after installation, would not have saved me very much money. Pella, as I recall, got very bad reviews....I got the impression that their product just wasn't what it used to be.

These are my recollections....things could have changed in 5 years.

Definitely shop around for price, and you might consider buying your windows yourself and having them installed by a different party, as I did. Prices vary widely- I drove down to CT and bought them from a warehouse that saved me, if I recall, about $1000 or more over the second-best quote (including delivery). Window installation is not extremely difficult (though I do recall that the Integrity windows had some peculiar quirks re: installation).
Last edited by protagonist on Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
scouter

Post by scouter »

We installed high-end "lifetime warranty" windows 14 years ago (Pozzi) and when the seals failed last year and the panes began fogging, I contacted the dealer/installer. They said, "You'll have to go to Pozzi, they handle the warranty." Turns out Pozzi went out of business and their warranty is now covered by Jeld-Wen, who bought what was left of the company. Their warranty supplies replacement parts, but we had to pay shipping, which was $110 per window, and we had to hire a local glass company to rebuild the windows with the new parts, which was another $100 window. So, $210 per window for the "free replacement". Lesson: warranties are only as good as the solvency of the company.
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

I put Marvin's in our last addition 7-8 years ago, wood clad, low e, etc.etc. I forget the model but they have been fine and were top of the line. What sealed the deal for us was the sliding door, it just seemed to work great and still does.

Take a look at how Marvin treated its employee's in the downturn, that speaks very well for them.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
thmspalmer

Post by thmspalmer »

protagonist wrote:I replaced my windows 5 years ago. I went with Marvin Integrity, as they seemed to give the most bang for the buck and got favorable reviews, as well as being quite attractive....my home is about 130 years old and some replacement windows just don't fit architecturally.

The Andersen windows that are sold via big box outlets like Home Depot got much more spotty reviews and, after installation, would not have saved me very much money. Pella, as I recall, got very bad reviews....I got the impression that their product just wasn't what it used to be.

Definitely shop around for price, and you might consider buying your windows yourself and having them installed by a different party, as I did. Prices vary widely- I drove down to CT and bought them from a warehouse that saved me, if I recall, about $1000 or more over the second-best quote (including delivery). Window installation is not extremely difficult (though I do recall that the Integrity windows had some peculiar quirks re: installation).
@protagonist: for the Marvin Integrity windows that you had installed, you said there were some "quirks" regarding installation -- could you elaborate on this? I'm looking to having these installed too, and any information is helpful.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

> Renewal by Andersen (RBA) engages in sales tactics that almost shock the conscience.

You have two companies with similar ratings and one has a distributor that uses abusive and insulting sales tactics. For me the answer would be very clear.
Mingus

Post by Mingus »

The window business is such a scam. It needs to be in the same category of whole life insurance and annuities.
wcinnn

Post by wcinnn »

5 years ago while building a new house I found the National Fenestration Council, http://www.nfrc.org, to be a great source of education in helping me decide on windows. They rate windows. Went with Marvin with Cardinal 360 glass and have been very pleased with them. We have a lakefront location and do not need solar shades which means we get to enjoy the view all the time and things don't fade.
[link fixed by admin LadyGeek]
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

thmspalmer wrote:
protagonist wrote:I replaced my windows 5 years ago. I went with Marvin Integrity, as they seemed to give the most bang for the buck and got favorable reviews, as well as being quite attractive....my home is about 130 years old and some replacement windows just don't fit architecturally.

@protagonist: for the Marvin Integrity windows that you had installed, you said there were some "quirks" regarding installation -- could you elaborate on this? I'm looking to having these installed too, and any information is helpful.
I wish I could, th. I had them installed by a local guy who ran into a few snags at the beginning and thus it took him much longer to install them than he anticipated (which was unfortunate for him because he priced the job at $75/window). The instructions online and in print were fairly useless in terms of sorting it out. He called a Marvin rep who sorted it out with him, and after the first one or two it went smoothly. But I don't recall, 6 years after the fact, what the issues were. Sorry. You might question a Marvin rep about this in advance.
Topic Author
danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 »

Epilogue

To anyone looking at this thread for guidance, I ultimately went with Marvin Ultimate Clad windows. They're great. Unfortunately, I can't speak to how they would compare to Andersen, even at the sales pitch level, because I was unable to find a sales person that would talk to me about "standard" Andersen windows (i.e., not Renewal). I'm not sure if Marvin just has this market completely dominated, or replacement window installers hate Andersen for selling Renewal which directly competes with their services. At any rate, the Marvin windows are terrific and we like our Provia doors as well.
summerof42

Post by summerof42 »

I've built two homes and used both. In all honesty, Marvin is more expensive and I felt Andersen quality was just as good, if not equal. If I built another home today, I would use Anderson and save myself thousands. I think you pay for the Marvin name.
BL

Post by BL »

Jay69 wrote:
Take a look at how Marvin treated its employee's in the downturn, that speaks very well for them.
Yes, I know some whose hours were cut back to about 36/week rather than laying off workers. They also do profit-sharing during the good times.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

danwhite77 wrote:Epilogue

That puzzles me. "Standard" Andersen windows are sold by at least of the lumberyards/building supply outfits (at least in the Northeast). Home Depot also sells them. Most of the salespeople are quite knowledgeable. Another good source of info are the "Home shows" put on by the local Homebuilders associations.
drawpoker

Post by drawpoker »

For me, this thread dovetails nicely with another current thread, um, something about "what was the worst financial decision you ever made....?.." That's me, these damn Andersen windows.

I bought my townhouse (built in 1979) in early 1992. I did note the builder had put in the top-drawer (at the time) Andersen windows & the showing realtor gushed on it over and over. Yes, very impressive.

But what I Failed to note -

The Idiot Seller I was dickering with for the house had neatly voided the lifetime Andersen warranty by being a scaredy Cat - foolishly listening to the anti-crime tip of burglar-proofing your home by drilling holes for placing bolts into the window sashes, thus preventing the windows from being raised by intruders.

Great advice. As long as you don't have Andersen windows. As this little anti-crime advice now has utterly and completely voided the Andersen warranty for her and all subsequent owners (me) I was the foolish one, as I should have recognized this fact, and made my purchase offer accordingly to account for this money gulp.

But, no, didn't grasp the significance of this until years later. When I watched my next door neighbors (with the same south-facing house taking the beating from the sun) reaping the benefits of the Andersen guarantee when their windows warped. They got full replacements, parts and labor, from the local Andersen dealer here. Zero cost to them.

Meanwhile, I am haggling with inept local contractor trying to install the first set of replacements I ordered thru the authorized Andersen dealer, a local building supply house, who provided the product on special order. But could not provide any Andersen-trained or authorized installers. Thank Gawd I only ordered sashes for one front window, not the whole house. It was clear it was going to be The Impossible Dream to find someone competent to install replacement Andersen windows. At least here in the boondocks.

Live and learn I guess.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I'm a Harvey man myself. Best all around value. Great quality and not overpriced with high pressure sales reps like Anderson.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

I have another Andersen casement window with broken seal - out of warranty.

Could the seal be repaired or the whole window needs to be replaced?

I googled Glass Guru who is suppose to do this but is not in my area.
dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals »

htdrag11 wrote:I have another Andersen casement window with broken seal - out of warranty.

When I have an occasional problem with the Pella windows or doors that my Mom had installed 35 years ago, I call up Pella and they send someone out. It takes a few weeks, since they are only in this state occasionally.
JDot

Post by JDot »

This is slightly off subject, but I wanted to make everyone aware of a tip I randomly received. My neighbor, who is one of the best handy-men I've ever seen, recommended a company called "windows direct". This guy keeps his home and yard so nice it's kind of difficult to live next to him, if you get my drift. Anyways, he claims that the price was a fraction of what it was going to be at Lowe's for similar windows. Generally I don't believe in free lunches, but I value his opinion so I thought I'd share.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

dolphinsaremammals wrote:
htdrag11 wrote:I have another Andersen casement window with broken seal - out of warranty.

When I have an occasional problem with the Pella windows or doors that my Mom had installed 35 years ago, I call up Pella and they send someone out. It takes a few weeks, since they are only in this state occasionally.
My sliding door to the deck is Pella - it has been working fine since 1995. It s definitely better in quality but it was also about 40% more than Andersen at the time. Wife still loves her Pella. Nice to know Pella has a better warranty. Of all our our Andersen casement windows, we only have one with broken seal after 25 years ( the other was replaced about 15 years ago under warranty).
ConfusedinOP

Post by ConfusedinOP »

In everyone's getting quotes from RBA, was there an approximate cost per window. My experience from RBA was approximately $2800/window. Seems extremely high to me. Just asking. :confused
derbyone

Post by derbyone »

Re-Andersen windows:
This thread has been very informative. I wanted to throw our experience into the hat. We bought all Andersen windows 25 1/2 years ago. Two of them went foggy just about 3-5 years afterward. My husband brushed that off (ie. did nothing because they were in MY art room, not his... grrr). We then had another turn foggy and, as of today—an Andersen rep. is just now finishing his inspection of all of our windows—we need to have six of them replaced because of leaked argon gas and subsequent fogginess. I hope this adds to the discussion.
Topic Author
danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 »

Glad to see my old thread is still kicking and people are getting some use out of it. To the guy in March asking about a $2800 window, absent extraordinary circumstances, that's crazy expensive. We paid about a $1000 per window as I recall. Renewal By Andersen is outrageously expensive in my experience with high pressure sales tactics to boot. They were almost twice as expensive overall as the company we went with. I just saw someone on a home improvement sub on Reddit asking about an insanely high quote from RBA. People who use that service must not shop around anywhere.

As an updated epilogue our windows are still doing just fine no complaints at all. I'm a very satisfied customer.
camden

Post by camden »

I have had both Marvin and Andersen windows. I have had serious fogging problems with both; not just an occasional window, but half the windows in the house within five years or so. Really sick of replacing the things.

I have begun to wonder whether anyone is capable of manufacturing double pane windows that do not fog.
Flora

Post by Flora »

My vote goes to Kolbe & Kolbe windows.
XtremeSki2001

Post by XtremeSki2001 »

danwhite77 wrote:Glad to see my old thread is still kicking and people are getting some use out of it. To the guy in March asking about a $2800 window, absent extraordinary circumstances, that's crazy expensive. We paid about a $1000 per window as I recall. Renewal By Andersen is outrageously expensive in my experience with high pressure sales tactics to boot. They were almost twice as expensive overall as the company we went with. I just saw someone on a home improvement sub on Reddit asking about an insanely high quote from RBA. People who use that service must not shop around anywhere.

As an updated epilogue our windows are still doing just fine no complaints at all. I'm a very satisfied customer.
Found this thread today searching for information on Windows. Really appreciate this informative thread. As Bogleheads, we are struggling with the price of windows.

We had a casement window (Anderson 400) and a glass slider (Provia Endure Vinyl) replaced last year, for $900 and $2,700 respectively, and are very pleased with both. However, after hearing of coworkers getting all their windows replaced in their home for just a few thousand, we were wondering is the cost difference (nearly double) between what they got and what we were quoted worth it? It's hard to tell because they never had Marvin/Provia/Anderson and only have their old windows to compare them to and, similarly, we've always had high quality windows.

We will likely stay with Marvin / Provia for windows, but seeing as we need 12 replced the $12k sticker shock will take a while to go away hah.
A box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through
leonard

Post by leonard »

XtremeSki2001 wrote:
danwhite77 wrote:Glad to see my old thread is still kicking and people are getting some use out of it. To the guy in March asking about a $2800 window, absent extraordinary circumstances, that's crazy expensive. We paid about a $1000 per window as I recall. Renewal By Andersen is outrageously expensive in my experience with high pressure sales tactics to boot. They were almost twice as expensive overall as the company we went with. I just saw someone on a home improvement sub on Reddit asking about an insanely high quote from RBA. People who use that service must not shop around anywhere.

Found this thread today searching for information on Windows. Really appreciate this informative thread. As Bogleheads, we are struggling with the price of windows.

We had a casement window (Anderson 400) and a glass slider (Provia Endure Vinyl) replaced last year, for $900 and $2,700 respectively, and are very pleased with both. However, after hearing of coworkers getting all their windows replaced in their home for just a few thousand, we were wondering is the cost difference (nearly double) between what they got and what we were quoted worth it? It's hard to tell because they never had Marvin/Provia/Anderson and only have their old windows to compare them to and, similarly, we've always had high quality windows.

We will likely stay with Marvin / Provia for windows, but seeing as we need 12 replced the $12k sticker shock will take a while to go away hah.
I recommend figuring out the exact specs for the windows that you want - Construction materials, lowE coatings, gas fill/no fill, casement, thermal performance, etc. etc. Then, price out all the brands that meet those requirements. We were willing to go with whatever brand met our criteria, but ended up going with Milgard (ours was a vinyl, to more expensive aluminum/vinyl clad).

One other idea I'll put in this thread just to document it for posterity. I originally assessed a Provia metal door - because they made a very secure metal door - but it was very expensive.

Researching - I found both Steel Craft and Curries made an embossed "graintech" insulated metal door - with embossed wood grain and finished in an opaque gel stain. And, they had up to 16ga steel - quite heavy weight for a residential door. The best part - the steel craft was a lot cheaper than the Provia door.

So, for those considering Provia - take a look at Steel Craft and Curries as less expensive alternatives for a secure front door.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.