Poll: Do you use the Amazon link here to make purchases?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Do you use the Amazon link here at Bogleheads to make your purchases?

Yes
20%
No (Because I don't want to)
6%
No (Because I forget)
51%
Sometimes
11%
I don't shop at Amazon
5%
Other
6%

Total votes: 79

Topic Author
pennstater2005

Poll: Do you use the Amazon link here to make purchases?

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:35 pm

I'll be honest. I don't always use the link. Mostly because I forget. I wish there was a way at checkout I could be reminded to use the Amazon link here. I do lots of shopping at Amazon. I'm curious how many folks here use the Amazon link. If I'm missing any poll options, let me know.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

fsrph

Re: Poll: Do you use the Amazon link here to make purchases?

Post by fsrph » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:49 pm

I wait till I have a $35 or more order of qualifying items for free shipping. I don't order from Amazon very often. But when I do I did not use the Boglehead link. Sad to say, I simply forgot to use it.

Francis
"Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get." | Dale Carnegie

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:56 pm

Two reasons I don't use it:
1) Privacy (no need to let bogleheads.org know what I'm buying even if it can't be traced to me)
2) I forget.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:06 pm

When we remember both my wife and I use the Amazon link for the Annette Funicello Research Fund for Neurological Diseases.

http://annetteconnection.com/Home.php
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:40 pm

Yes.....
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

whaleknives

Post by whaleknives » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:13 pm

No, I go to an Amazon employee's site to credit her. (Voted "Other".)
"I'm an indexer. I own the market. And I'm happy." (John Bogle, "BusinessWeek", 8/17/07) ☕ Maritime signal flag W - Whiskey: "I require medical assistance."

asset_chaos

Post by asset_chaos » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:51 pm

I use the book depository much more often than amazon these days.
Regards, | | Guy

John3754

Post by John3754 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:53 pm

I never even realized that link was there.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:05 pm

Yes, I have put the Boglehead Amazon link in my bookmarks so I don't forget. I don't worry about privacy. I am sure Alex has better things to do than figure out what I am buying on Amazon.
Best Wishes, | Joe

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:26 pm

I put "Other," because your poll doesn't have an option along the lines of, "No, what are you talking about? (and I don't feel like taking the time to figure it out on my own)."

stan1

Post by stan1 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:29 pm

JMacDonald wrote:Yes, I have put the Boglehead Amazon link in my bookmarks so I don't forget. I don't worry about privacy. I am sure Alex has better things to do than figure out what I am buying on Amazon.
He posted the list of what everyone was buying a few years ago. There were a few interesting items, shall we say.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:34 pm

stan1 wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:Yes, I have put the Boglehead Amazon link in my bookmarks so I don't forget. I don't worry about privacy. I am sure Alex has better things to do than figure out what I am buying on Amazon.
He posted the list of what everyone was buying a few years ago. There were a few interesting items, shall we say.
I remember that, and I checked to see if Alex got the credit for the items I bought. It doesn't concern me what Alex knows or does not know about my purchases at Amazon.
Best Wishes, | Joe

Topic Author
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:18 pm

FedGuy wrote:I put "Other," because your poll doesn't have an option along the lines of, "No, what are you talking about? (and I don't feel like taking the time to figure it out on my own)."
There is an Amazon link on the left hand of the homepage under the "Support this Site" heading. If you click on this link to go to Amazon to make a purchase Bogleheads.org receives a small referral fee.

http://www.bogleheads.org/support.php
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

FedGuy

Post by FedGuy » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:41 am

Thanks, Pennstater2005. I have the site's main forum page bookmarked and haven't seen the front page in years, which is probably a factor in my not knowing about this.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:35 am

I have the Bogleheads Amazon link bookmarked. Sometimes I use the bookmark link, and sometimes I use the forum link.
Gordon

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:42 am

FedGuy wrote:Thanks, Pennstater2005. I have the site's main forum page bookmarked and haven't seen the front page in years, which is probably a factor in my not knowing about this.
Support this site is at the top of every thread. It is even now at the top if this compose a post page. It is fairly easy to spot. It has a big thumbs up next to it.
Support this Site
Look at the top of this page. Can you see it now? It is right next to the Amazon link (but don't use that one).

Topic Author
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:46 am

I just replaced my current Amazon link in my bookmarks bar with this one. I never thought to do that :oops:

jeff1949

Post by jeff1949 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:07 am

+1

I actually put it on my desktop to help me remember and that works very well for me.

gnosis

Post by gnosis » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:27 am

Sometimes I will link Amazon to White Coat Investor instead

iceport

Post by iceport » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:37 pm

Of course I do! I have also made a one-time donation by check to the forum. I feel tremendously indebted to this forum for all the help I've received here over the years, and I love having the opportunity to give back, even if it's a tiny amount, at no cost to me.

Oh, and how is it possible the Bogleheads are such a forgetful bunch!?!

--Peter
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

Draak

Post by Draak » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:55 pm

What Link? I see it at the top of the page now, but didn't have a clue it was there before.

I looked at a lot of the FAQ information when I joined, but either didn't see or glossed over the link. Sorry :-(

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:07 pm

I sometimes forget. But I try to remember.

Also, a non-profit for whom my wife is an officer now has its own Amazon link. So, competition, and sharing the wealth.

Les_Nessman

Post by Les_Nessman » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:27 pm

I try to remember to use the bogleheads affiliate link every time I buy from Amazon, but sometimes I forget. I'm annoyed that Amazon doesn't provide a way to confirm that my purchase really sent any affiliate money back to bogleheads. Here's the shopping procedure I use:

1. When I find something I want to buy, I save the URL with everything stripped out except the Amazon product ID. That means it's very short and looks something like amazon.com/gp/product/LETTERSANDNUMBERS.

2. Later, when I'm ready to buy, I click the bogleheads affiliate link to Amazon.

3. Login to Amazon.

4. Paste my saved URL into the address bar.

5. Complete the purchase.

Does anyone know if that actually works to send the affiliate money back to bogleheads?

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:44 pm

petrico wrote:Of course I do! I have also made a one-time donation by check to the forum. I feel tremendously indebted to this forum for all the help I've received here over the years, and I love having the opportunity to give back, even if it's a tiny amount, at no cost to me.

Oh, and how is it possible the Bogleheads are such a forgetful bunch!?!

--Peter
I feel your pain.
I would like to thank the OP for this poll is done to remind everyone about the link. Unfortunately what makes Bogleheads such great investors is that they are prudent in their savings. If you do not enjoy buying "stuff" daily or at least twice a week you do not get in the habit hitting the link.
I had bought by Skagen watch for $69 at Costco, which I thought was a great deal and when I lost it, I whined to my spouse that Costco did not have my preferred watch anymore. My spouse pointed me to Amazon where for free shipping the watch was $50. I have not been back to Amazon though even while I lost that watch as well.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:22 pm

The Amazon arrangement is one of the best free lunches out there. Very worthwhile.

But I choose to steer my Amazon kickbacks to a different charity.