What video games are you currently playing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tamarind

Re: What video games are you currently playing?

Post by Tamarind » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:45 pm

Currently playing Sunless Sea (Failbetter Games) daily.

It's a rogue-like with lots of rich story and RP-fodder set in an eerie alternative-Victorian steampunk archipelago deep below the surface of the earth. My most recent captain, having narrowly escaped being bludgeoned to death by a flock of enormous mutant bluebirds, had successfully reached the furthest corner of the ocean, further than any of the captains in his lineage had ever gotten. Laden with information and treasure, he was returning to his home port when the lengthy trip through the darkness drove him mad and his crew mutinied and threw him over the side within a few minutes' sail of home. Tragic...but luckily he had a will so his house, some valuable heirlooms, and a decent gun were inherited by the next captain.

Also slowly working my way through Witcher 3, and regularly picking up a few rounds of Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes! with friends.

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:50 pm

For anyone who grew up in the 80s and 90s and is looking for some nostalgia, most of the Final Fantasy games and some other outstanding RPGs like Chrono Trigger are available on the iPhone/iPad. Some ports are better than others, but for the most part they did a good job converting to touchscreen. The classic Final Fantasy 6 is especially well done.

sterlingcooper05

Post by sterlingcooper05 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:02 pm

Wii U games like Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Zelda, etc.

Cottons

Post by Cottons » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:47 pm

Over 200 posts and no one has mentioned Path of Exile. Free through Steam, and similar in style to the likes of Diablo.

I also put some time into Civilization 5, Clash of Clans on my phone, and crosswords.

drachma

Post by drachma » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:35 pm

I am still playing FTL

I think I am just really bad at it, I can reach the boss nearly 100% of games but can never beat him. (on easy mode...)

it still keeps me entertained though, someday i'll figure out the optimal strategy.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:04 pm

Ico was good.
Loved Jak and Daxter series.
Lots of great Dreamcast titles.
Fable series not bad...especially for Bogleheads and making money.

I'm not a big shooter fan, love a deep plot line.

Too many to list.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:50 pm

I have been playing Lords of the Realm II a few times a week since it came out. I think that was 20 years ago. I even had my husband bring the laptop to the hospital while I was recovering from giving birth. I also like the WOW games before you have to play with other people.

The family joke is that my "gaming computer" is a 10 year old laptop, because that is the only one that can run the old games. My heart will break when it dies. I might have to start playing games from this century.

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:46 pm

I would never waste a second of precious life on something as lowbrow as Halo 5 or Civ 5. For that matter, I did not play Doom, and have never heard of Duke Nukem. I almost played Quake once, but caught myself.

PandaParty

Post by PandaParty » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:15 pm

vested1 wrote: I've bought the games listed below but never had the time to play them in the hectic world of pre-retirement. Now that I've been retired for a total of 2 weeks I look forward to opening those untouched games and diving in. I'd appreciate opinions on which ones are most compelling.
Sonic Generations
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Rage
The Walking Dead
Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City
The ICO and Shadow of Colossus Collection
Devil May Cry
Oblivion Elder Scrolls IV (I never played 1-3)
Resistance the Fall of Man

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I imagine I will get a PS4 someday, but will wait to buy one used or when the price drops. The lack of backward compatibility punishes loyal customers in my opinion.
Shadow of the Colossus is probably my favorite game ever made. I'd recommend you don't look anything up about it, don't watch anyone else's playthrough. Just go in as blind as you can.
drachma wrote:I am still playing FTL

I think I am just really bad at it, I can reach the boss nearly 100% of games but can never beat him. (on easy mode...)

it still keeps me entertained though, someday i'll figure out the optimal strategy.
FTL is a great game too! Let me know if you want some tips for the final boss.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:48 pm

eucalyptus wrote:I would never waste a second of precious life on something as lowbrow as Halo 5 or Civ 5. For that matter, I did not play Doom, and have never heard of Duke Nukem. I almost played Quake once, but caught myself.
I'm glad you were able to stop yourself before letting your standards slip.

Do you also catch yourself before watching sports or playing card or board games? Could you perhaps explain the difference between those activities and interactive gaming experiences for those of us too lowbrow to understand?

Bungo

Post by Bungo » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:12 pm

investingdad wrote:
eucalyptus wrote:I would never waste a second of precious life on something as lowbrow as Halo 5 or Civ 5. For that matter, I did not play Doom, and have never heard of Duke Nukem. I almost played Quake once, but caught myself.

Do you also catch yourself before watching sports or playing card or board games? Could you perhaps explain the difference between those activities and interactive gaming experiences for those of us too lowbrow to understand?
I think Eucalyptus was making a funny, considering that he/she has obviously heard of Duke Nukem, since it was never previously mentioned in this thread. :D Maybe he/she spends too much time playing Team Fortress 2 to waste a second of precious life playing anything else. I was the same way for a year or two, but I'm recovering.

Ron Swanson

Post by Ron Swanson » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:24 pm

I play (probably too much) Company of Heroes 2. Always had a thing for RTS games. Also just started playing a game called Naval Action. It's still in alpha, but very fun and has lots of potential once completed. Who doesn't love sailboats, and cannons, and pirates?

I also love Half-Life 3. Hands down the best non-existent game.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:17 am

Bungo wrote:
investingdad wrote:

I think Eucalyptus was making a funny, considering that he/she has obviously heard of Duke Nukem, since it was never previously mentioned in this thread. :D Maybe he/she spends too much time playing Team Fortress 2 to waste a second of precious life playing anything else. I was the same way for a year or two, but I'm recovering.
Apologies if I misunderstood. Maybe I was confusing this was another post about how the poster find the whole activity to be a bore and letting us know.

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:24 am

investingdad wrote:

Bungo is right. I played Space Invaders when it was a real arcade game. Was on Second Life a long time ago. I'm in awe of the worlds of GTA5 and Skyrim - I bought both not to play but to explore. And VR really hasn't even started yet. We need a better word than "gaming."

Crow Hunter

Post by Crow Hunter » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:47 am

vested1 wrote:I never really understood why someone with no experience in a form of entertainment would feel the need to comment negatively about those who enjoy it. Stepping down from the soapbox now.

I've gone through the same iterations of various systems as some here starting with Atari, and currently PS3. After getting into PS, I never wandered into Xbox land, but will likely do so some day. I have limited experience with PC gaming.

My favorite series run the gamut, and some may seem childish, which I played with my children and grandchildren, while others are gruesome and not appropriate for kids. I enjoy RP games the most, and love figuring out the secrets and hidden areas. I've played the entire series of the ones below unless they're listed as unopened.
Spyro
Crash Bandicoot
Sly Cooper
Jak & Daxter
Ratchet & Clank
Sonic
Prince of Persia
God of War
Assassin's Creed
The Last of Us (only the original, and my favorite single game)
and my favorite series, Uncharted

I've bought the games listed below but never had the time to play them in the hectic world of pre-retirement. Now that I've been retired for a total of 2 weeks I look forward to opening those untouched games and diving in. I'd appreciate opinions on which ones are most compelling.
Sonic Generations
Batman Arkham Asylum
Batman Arkham City
Rage
The Walking Dead
Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City
The ICO and Shadow of Colossus Collection
Devil May Cry
Oblivion Elder Scrolls IV (I never played 1-3)
Resistance the Fall of Man

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I imagine I will get a PS4 someday, but will wait to buy one used or when the price drops. The lack of backward compatibility punishes loyal customers in my opinion.
If you like Role Playing Games:

-Skyrim (Play after Oblivion)
-Bioshock 1 and 2, I didn't really like the 3rd installment. Too linear and the story line was a little strained and the atmosphere wasn't as dark, but I got it for free on Xbox Gold so I don't complain. The first one is epic though, awesome story and atmosphere.
-Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and I have heard that Fallout 4 is awesome too.
-If you like zombies and like action, Dead Island, but be aware it is not safe for kids, very gory and vulgar at times. (I did not like the sequel Dead Island Riptide)
-If you like a very good story and have a way to play it, the Mass Effect series is without peer for story content, particularly for story continuity. Actions you take in Mass Effect 1 affect things even in Mass Effect 3. It has great replay value because the story changes based on the choices and actions you take and each character class has very unique abilities that affect the story. I really wish they would make it into a movie, incredibly good story and awesome voice acting.
-The newer Tomb Raider games are really good. I got one of them for free on Xbox Gold and I really enjoyed it.

The Xbox One does have some backwards compatibility and may open up some other gaming opportunities (Mass Effect) unless you have some PS4 specific games that you want to play.

I have a pretty good stash of games that I still haven't opened yet that I hope to get to when I eventually early retire. :)

vitaflo

Post by vitaflo » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:59 am

I recently picked up an RGB studio monitor, modded most of my old consoles to output RGB (if they didn't already), and bought Everdrive flash carts for just about every retro console. So...I'm playing a ton of games lately. Currently working through Metroid on my NES.

investingdad

Post by investingdad » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:12 am

Bioshock tried to mix plot with shooter and I found the plot getting lost and hard to follow.

I've sang praises for Mass Effect many times...the story, game size, flexibility, etc....is simply wonderful.

Penn State Bob

Post by Penn State Bob » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:21 am

Skyrim
The Last of Us
Until Dawn

FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:38 am

I've been playing an oldie but a goodie: Persona 3. It's a solid 100+ hours of entertainment, but can definitely be tedious if you aren't used to JRPGs in general.

TSR

Post by TSR » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:53 am

Anyone playing The Witness? It's really fascinating. I'm about 90% of the way through and am reaching the point where I can't get any traction on the last few puzzles. Really lovely game though.

Topic Author
kenyan

Post by kenyan » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:57 pm

Finished a playthrough of Fallout 4; very entertaining. Life has become very busy, but I'm trying to carve out an average of an hour a day (less on weekdays; sometimes can make up for it on the weekend). I never managed to finish Fallout 3 or New Vegas, but this one grabbed me a bit more. I'm currently playing Witcher 3 thanks to a Steam Sale, with an eye toward Tom Clancy's The Division as my next time-waster (looking forward to the social aspects/playing with my friends).

After that, I will be preparing to die with Dark Souls 3.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:25 pm

Today while I was playing my current game I thought "I should make a thread about video games on Bogleheads!". Luckily I did a search first and found this one which I am resurrecting.

I just finished Chrono Trigger for the first time. I really enjoyed it! At first I was very confused by the time travel but when I got the ship it made a bit more sense. However I have to admit I felt so powerful at the end that it was a bit too easy. The game felt pretty difficult at first and then after doing all the character side quests near the end I was very powerful. I used a published guide since I knew I'd only have time to go through the game once so I could get the best ending possible. I especially liked the dual/triple tech combos, characters, and especially the music. In fact the music is so good I ended up buying the orchestrated soundtrack volumes 1 and 2 on iTunes. Note that Nobuo Uetmatsu, who did most of the Final Fantasy series music is also involved in this game's music. Overall I'm really happy I experienced this game and would recommend it to any fan of the Final Fantasy series.

My husband and I play FFXIV (an MMORPG) very casually - we usually only have time to do 1 dungeon in the evenings during the work week. We play a bit more on weekends, but we don't do the endgame PvE content. I like to craft/gather and level jobs more than anything and keep it very casual.

Next up I will probably play Final Fantasy 12 or 15, the last two I need to complete. I'm leaning towards 12. 15 has some really amazing music. Of course I will probably get the remake of Final Fantasy 7 once it goes on sale in a year or so.

What is everyone else playing these days?
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca

flaccidsteele

Post by flaccidsteele » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:27 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:25 pm
I’m playing Pokémon Go (lvl 37) and Hearthstone (battlegrounds)
The US market always recovers. It’s never different this time. Retired in my 40s. Investing is a simple game of rinse and repeat

TomCat96

Post by TomCat96 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:47 pm

Elsebet wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:25 pm
Today while I was playing my current game I thought "I should make a thread about video games on Bogleheads!". Luckily I did a search first and found this one which I am resurrecting.

I just finished Chrono Trigger for the first time. I really enjoyed it! At first I was very confused by the time travel but when I got the ship it made a bit more sense. However I have to admit I felt so powerful at the end that it was a bit too easy. The game felt pretty difficult at first and then after doing all the character side quests near the end I was very powerful. I used a published guide since I knew I'd only have time to go through the game once so I could get the best ending possible. I especially liked the dual/triple tech combos, characters, and especially the music. In fact the music is so good I ended up buying the orchestrated soundtrack volumes 1 and 2 on iTunes. Note that Nobuo Uetmatsu, who did most of the Final Fantasy series music is also involved in this game's music. Overall I'm really happy I experienced this game and would recommend it to any fan of the Final Fantasy series.

My husband and I play FFXIV (an MMORPG) very casually - we usually only have time to do 1 dungeon in the evenings during the work week. We play a bit more on weekends, but we don't do the endgame PvE content. I like to craft/gather and level jobs more than anything and keep it very casual.

Next up I will probably play Final Fantasy 12 or 15, the last two I need to complete. I'm leaning towards 12. 15 has some really amazing music. Of course I will probably get the remake of Final Fantasy 7 once it goes on sale in a year or so.

If you just finished CT for the first time, you've only played through half the game. There are, if i remember correctly, 11 different endings, which you can get by defeating the final boss (using New Game+) at different junctures in the story.

Leaving certain parts of plot unresolved and beating the game at those junctures will result in different end outcomes, producing the different endings. It's a wonderfully unique and interesting path of story development.

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:47 pm

Anyone old enough to have worked with TRS-80 computers and play current generation games?
Who are the old fart gamers here and what do you play?
I'm willing but ignorant. Where to start as an old fart?
Pale Blue Dot

manatee2005

Post by manatee2005 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:25 pm

4nursebee wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:47 pm
Anyone old enough to have worked with TRS-80 computers and play current generation games?
It depends what you like. I play Read Dead Redemption 2 on Playstation 4 because I like cowboy stuff. I also play Call of Duty WW2 on Playstation 4 because I like WW2 stuff.

createplayact

Post by createplayact » Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:59 pm

TSR wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:53 am
Anyone playing The Witness? It's really fascinating. I'm about 90% of the way through and am reaching the point where I can't get any traction on the last few puzzles. Really lovely game though.
Wife and I played through the Witness a few years ago. We loved it! It helps very much having two people to bounce ideas back and forth. Really had a good time with this one and would highly recommend it for fans of Myst or logic puzzles.

As far as games "currently playing," I've been playing Crazy Machines 2 and 3 (think Rube Goldberg machine contraptions) and Peggle with my four year old. He asks about my older Mario games in the back of the closet all of the time but we haven't gone there yet...

Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy » Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:01 pm

Tetris

vested1

Post by vested1 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:33 am

4nursebee wrote:
I have PS2 PS3 and PS4 systems and games in separate rooms of the house, and tell people it's for the grandkids. I also used to have Atari and Genesis games and used the excuse that I had them in the house for my kids, but they just rolled their eyes when they heard me say that. Nothing ever really changes except declining reflexes and the amount of time it takes my thumbs to recover after a long day of playing video games.

I gravitate toward the more thoughtful games which provide puzzles, although shooting games are also a nice diversion, especially on the 75" Samsung 4HD. I use the excuse of wanting to entertain the youngsters when they visit to stock a variety of games, about 50 total. My favorites in all their iterations and in no particular order:

For the kids and me
Ratchet and Clank
Jak and Daxter
Spyro
Toejam and Earl
Sly Cooper
Sonic the Hedgehog
Angry Birds
Crash Bandicoot
Rayman

For Adults
God of War
The Last of Us
Uncharted
Prince of Persia
Assassin's Creed
Batman Arkham City
The Walking Dead
Oblivion
ICO Colossus
Resistance Fall of Man
Rage
Devil May Cry

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:54 am

4nursebee wrote:
Never had a Trash 80, but did have Atari 800, a Timex Sinclair, ... Spent many years with consoles but now pretty much stick to PC. Where to start? Depends on what you like. For me, I love racing games, so I have a large library of those and primarily play in VR. Plus shooters (thing classic games like Galaga but in the modern age), firsr/third person shooters, flight sims (VR preferred), pinball (flat screen and VR). Get yourself on Steam if you want to go the PC route and browse the inventory of the 30,000+ games there.

BTW, you can get TRS-80 emulators.

OogieBoogie

Post by OogieBoogie » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:15 am

Played on the C-64 and Amiga etc. for now most on the PC (exception Oculus Quest VR)
- iRacing, for me the best racing simulation on the market.
- War Thunder (tanks, planes, ships)
- Elite Dangerous (with a VR glasses just epic)
and sometimes Oculus Quest games, as VR is really something different.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:19 am

VAslim16 wrote:
Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:02 pm
Got a PS4 for Christmas. Like the Amazon streaming feature and have a few games. I'm playing Shadow of Mordor when I have time and am thinking about picking up Destiny. Single male...like to read...watch sports...and play video games alot recently. Wouldn't have thought this many Bogleheads do and it's cool to see what you all play.
I still play the classic arcade games at home. Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Galaga, Space Invaders, 1942, etc. Always great fun.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:27 am

For those of you if a certain age you should know that Final Fantasy VII remake is coming out April 10.

It’s been a long long wait since it was initially teased 14 years ago, but it’s finally here. The only sad part is that it’s been broken up into chapters. With chapter 1 taking place entirely in the original games first city.

I hope it’s not another 14 years between chapter 1 and chapter 2.

Psyayeayeduck

Post by Psyayeayeduck » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:38 am

:shock: :D How in Hades did I miss this thread?!

Last month, I just finished Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword via Nintendo Wii U and would give it a 3.75/5 overall. Story-wise, it follows the Zelda formula of a princess in distress like many previous Legend of Zelda games so nothing spectacular with maybe some minor twists. Gameplay, the use of the Wii controller made this game somewhat unique which I give Nintendo some credit for attempting. It kept things interesting with a dusting of frustration during some enemy and boss fights. Some minor characters I rooted for (Groose) while other characters were annoying as hell (Scrappy and sometimes Fi when I had low life). Typically, flying gives you unlimited travel access in a normal adventure/RPG game but this game didn't do that which is a nice change of pace but it got really tiring flapping my arms to travel using the bird companion I got early in the game. At least my arms got a workout, even if it wasn't by choice. Three big positives that I really like -- 1) the three areas of travel are composed of 3 parts which made old levels feel fresh, 2) the dungeons felt like actual dungeons, and 3) the uniqueness of boss fights actually kept me active and interested.

Currently playing Grim Dawn. It was on special on Steam during Dec 2019 and am thoroughly enjoying it using a Necromancer/Occultist build with a focus on pets. It scratches the Diablo 3 itch that was missing since I made the decision on not giving Blizzard/Activision any more money due to their incredibly shady business practices as of late. I'll probably play until I hit max level and see where I take it from there.

Looking in the horizon, I will probably dive into another praised Zelda game, Twilight Princess, for the time being until Final Fantasy VII Remake is released in April 2020 (hope I didn't jinx it).

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:48 am

Any recommendations for mobile puzzle games similar to:
Beyond Ynth
Monument Valley
Odd Bot Out (also have the other games from Martin Magni that are a lot of fun)
Trainyard
"Go" series (Hitman, Tomb Raider, Deus Ex)
Tiny Bubbles

Willing to pay; hate games w/ purchasable "power ups", coins, etc

BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:58 am

- X-Plane 11
- FIFA 19 (Mostly online with other folks, They always beat me!)
- GTA 5 (Online)- Finished the storyline a long time ago.
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

babyboglehead

Post by babyboglehead » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:29 pm

I knew there had to be at least some of us on here. Given limited playing time the past decade or so I have been playing for the first time most of the big games from the last 5-6 years. I have a huge backlog of PS Plus games, which are conveniently mostly the big games I missed. Just wrapping up Nioh and loving the tight (and very unforgiving) combat and deliciously grim 1600s Japanese aesthetics.

Zelda Breath of the Wild was probably worth the price of the Switch by itself.

All the Playstation exclusives have been nailing it recently.
God of War - I never played any of the GOW games before this, but always had a thing for Greek and Norse mythology, and having a son around the age of the main character's didn't hurt.
Spiderman
Horizon Zero Dawn

Only recently played Metal Gear Phantom Pain. It was amazing if you were ever a fan of the genre and missed it the first time around (barring the laughably unnecessarily skimpy clothing of certain female snipers).

Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War were also both amazing.

Diablo 3 was great but haven't played in a few years, really looking forward to the next one.

On PSVR - Beat Saber is amazing and my go-to game to let people try out the VR as it is fun, intuitive, and a zero nausea experience. If you have coin, Skyrim VR is also amazing. Being a sneak archer never felt so gratifying as using 2 PS move controllers to aim the bow and arrow respectively. Rush of Blood, while short, is also extremely gratifying to play with two move controllers.

Guilty pleasure: Minecraft. I play it with my kids mostly, but sometimes even playing alone in our shared world there is something Zen about the monotony of putting up fences around a newly discovered village.

shariq1989

Post by shariq1989 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:32 pm

FIFA 20, Madden 20, Battlefield V

cs412a

Post by cs412a » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:34 pm

Bookmarking this thread.

azanon

Post by azanon » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:38 pm

For me, it's usually some MMORPG. Currently I'm playing Elder Scrolls Online, but I'm hoping that PantheonMMO eventually releases. I've been playing MMOs since Everquest 1 back in 1999.

Prior to that, I played "twitch" games (multiplayer FPS), when I was young with fast reflexes. But those days are long over.

dsmil

Post by dsmil » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:43 pm

Fifa 17 (bought used for $15) on Xbox 360 (received as a gift in 2010). It's the only game that I ever play. True Boglehead style right there.

Topic Author
kenyan

Post by kenyan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:00 pm

When I get a chance, I'm mostly playing Elder Scrolls Online right now. Picked it up during a BF sale on PC - I had it on Xbox way back when, but hadn't played in several years, and figured that I could play through the expansions and try out the new class. Playing almost entirely solo since I rarely have time to commit to a group dungeon.

I picked up Sekiro and will give that a go soon.

Other than that, randomly dabbling with some of the torrent of free games that are coming my way. Between Epic Games store, Xbox Gold, Twitch Prime - there's too much to even scratch the surface.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

hightower

Post by hightower » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:14 pm

Current video games

Starcraft 2 4v4 pretty much every morning while drinking coffee for many years now

Still keep playing Zelda Breath of the Wild on Nintendo Switch which is hands down the best video game of all time IMO. I still keep playing it because there’s so much to do and discover in that game and it’s just so much fun.

I’m looking forward to getting back into Call of Duty and GTA on xbox one, but have yet to start.

Also looking forward to the new Breath of the Wild when it comes out

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:19 pm

None. I used to play CoD multiplayer until I gave up my PC for a Mac years ago. Since then, none. But even so it bothered me that I was wasting a lot of time on it, though it was fun.
"Give me a lever long enough and a place to stand, and I will move the world." — Archimedes

aristotelian

Post by aristotelian » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:57 pm

I got my kids Civ 6 for Nintendo Switch. I have been playing it more than them.

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:03 pm

World of Warcraft: Classic and Overwatch.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:37 pm

Mostly mobile ftp games,
Star wars galaxy of heroes-i am close to saying enough is enough with that game though. Lots of issues since the relic update. once I unlock a few characters I can take a break and see if I am really done.

Marvel strike force--just like star wars just marvel--funny thing is that there is a big social media campaign to force them to fix the game before it turns into star wars.

Clash of clans--just play every now and then with a few RL friends

My daughter loves pokemon go and mario cart.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:47 pm

I generally only have time for one game.

Currently it is Planetside 2, which is a first person shooter of unrivaled scale - up to 2000 players on an 8km x 8km map, with three competing teams to allow more flexible distribution of fights compared to the normal two team format.

Previously it was Starcraft 2, which I'm still interested in returning to and finishing at some point, if time permits.

Growing up, I was occasionally able to convince my parents that Civilization had some academic merit for understanding history. That's another franchise I'd like to revisit, but I have only ever played the original.

Kerbal is on the to-try list, as well.

TSR

Post by TSR » Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:54 pm

babyboglehead wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:29 pm
I knew there had to be at least some of us on here. Given limited playing time the past decade or so I have been playing for the first time most of the big games from the last 5-6 years. I have a huge backlog of PS Plus games, which are conveniently mostly the big games I missed. Just wrapping up Nioh and loving the tight (and very unforgiving) combat and deliciously grim 1600s Japanese aesthetics.

Zelda Breath of the Wild was probably worth the price of the Switch by itself.

All the Playstation exclusives have been nailing it recently.
God of War - I never played any of the GOW games before this, but always had a thing for Greek and Norse mythology, and having a son around the age of the main character's didn't hurt.
Spiderman
Horizon Zero Dawn

Only recently played Metal Gear Phantom Pain. It was amazing if you were ever a fan of the genre and missed it the first time around (barring the laughably unnecessarily skimpy clothing of certain female snipers).

Shadow of Mordor and Shadow of War were also both amazing.

Diablo 3 was great but haven't played in a few years, really looking forward to the next one.

On PSVR - Beat Saber is amazing and my go-to game to let people try out the VR as it is fun, intuitive, and a zero nausea experience. If you have coin, Skyrim VR is also amazing. Being a sneak archer never felt so gratifying as using 2 PS move controllers to aim the bow and arrow respectively. Rush of Blood, while short, is also extremely gratifying to play with two move controllers.

Guilty pleasure: Minecraft. I play it with my kids mostly, but sometimes even playing alone in our shared world there is something Zen about the monotony of putting up fences around a newly discovered village.
If you liked Nioh (I did too), I'd guess you'd really like Sekiro. It's HARD but very, very good.

I've been playing Outer Worlds and it's pretty good.

WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:08 pm

I’m surprised I don’t see Rocket League here.
I bought it as a wholesome game on the Xbox for nieces and nephews, but found myself playing it waaaaay to much. Game design is awesome, you can personalize your car and the multiplayer option is very nice.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair