Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
User avatar
zaboomafoozarg
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:06 am

I really REALLY want to go to a Masters practice round this year, but haven't gotten any tickets. And they're $600 on Stubhub, so that's too much. Has anyone bought them down in Augusta the day of the tournament before? If so, did you find a better deal than the online prices?

User avatar
pennstater2005
Posts: 2450
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by pennstater2005 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:01 am

I haven't but it seems they're sold out.

http://www.masters.com/en_US/tickets/index.html

Have you tried looking on ebay? I've bought Penn State football tickets there with success. $600 is quite a bit of money for a practice round. I went to the U.S. Open when it was at Oakmont just outside of Pittsburgh on a Sunday and it was crazy busy. I wish I would've went to a practice round. Everyone says the players are more relaxed and will sign autographs and may even chat a little bit with the spectators.

Edit: I just looked on Ebay, it's pretty bad :moneybag
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

User avatar
Rainier
Posts: 1357
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:59 am

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by Rainier » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:06 am

Could be a steal the day before if the forecast is lousy.

DonDraper
Posts: 122
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:34 pm

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by DonDraper » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:14 am

zaboomafoozarg wrote:I really REALLY want to go to a Masters practice round this year, but haven't gotten any tickets. And they're $600 on Stubhub, so that's too much. Has anyone bought them down in Augusta the day of the tournament before? If so, did you find a better deal than the online prices?
I went to a US Open practice round. Be warned it is not at all like watching the actual tournament. Players will hit approach shots and then drop balls and putt from various points on the green that might not be anywhere near where their approach shot landed. It truly is just practice for them so it's not quite as enjoyable for the spectator.

User avatar
Rainier
Posts: 1357
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:59 am

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by Rainier » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:22 am

But they also sign autographs, if you are into that.

carolinaman
Posts: 3065
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by carolinaman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:25 am

Master's tickets and Superbowl tickets both are ridiculously expensive in secondary market, and are unique in that respect for sports tickets. I have been to both Master practice rounds and tournament rounds and, IMO, there is no comparison. Practice rounds are very slow paced. There is often gaps of times between players. It gets a little boring. Crowds are less and it is low key. You can also take pictures which is forbidden for tournament rounds. Tournament rounds are much more interesting. The crowd is much more enthusiastic, especially around Amen Corner (holes 13, 15 and 16). One of the unique things at the Masters is people have these small Master's folding chairs. They can put them at a good viewing spot, usually on back nine, and wander around the course. When they return later, the chairs and their viewing spot are intact.

Tournament round tickets start somewhere around $1,000 per person. Depending upon demand, these prices could soften as you get closer to the event. There are a number of ticket brokers who sell Master's tickets. You might want to contact some of them to see what is feasible. When driving into the course, there are always people buying and selling tickets. I have no idea what their price is but Georgia law restricts how close they can be to the course. In other words, you will not see them near the course, maybe a mile or so from the course.

User avatar
zaboomafoozarg
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:51 am

johnep wrote:Master's tickets and Superbowl tickets both are ridiculously expensive in secondary market, and are unique in that respect for sports tickets.
Indeed, and they have just about doubled in price in the last 3 or so years! At least for the online prices for guaranteed tickets.
johnep wrote:I have been to both Master practice rounds and tournament rounds and, IMO, there is no comparison. Practice rounds are very slow paced. There is often gaps of times between players. It gets a little boring. Crowds are less and it is low key. You can also take pictures which is forbidden for tournament rounds. Tournament rounds are much more interesting. The crowd is much more enthusiastic, especially around Amen Corner (holes 13, 15 and 16). One of the unique things at the Masters is people have these small Master's folding chairs. They can put them at a good viewing spot, usually on back nine, and wander around the course. When they return later, the chairs and their viewing spot are intact.
Since it's my first time going, I'd like the opportunity to just wander around and take in the sights, so I wouldn't mind a slower pace and would probably enjoy less crowds. Maybe if/when I go in the future, I will go on a tournament day. I am hoping that within the next 10 years or so, the opportunity to get actual tournament badges happens again. I was sad when I missed out on it in 2000 :(
johnep wrote:Tournament round tickets start somewhere around $1,000 per person. Depending upon demand, these prices could soften as you get closer to the event. There are a number of ticket brokers who sell Master's tickets. You might want to contact some of them to see what is feasible. When driving into the course, there are always people buying and selling tickets. I have no idea what their price is but Georgia law restricts how close they can be to the course. In other words, you will not see them near the course, maybe a mile or so from the course.
Yeah I saw about the 2700 foot restriction for buying tickets - step over that line and potentially get led away in handcuffs! :shock: I think that I-20 is far enough away, so if I were going to buy tickets locally I would probably start looking there, unless there's some place better than that.

carolinaman
Posts: 3065
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:56 am
Location: North Carolina

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by carolinaman » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:15 am

zaboomafoozarg wrote:
johnep wrote:Tournament round tickets start somewhere around $1,000 per person. Depending upon demand, these prices could soften as you get closer to the event. There are a number of ticket brokers who sell Master's tickets. You might want to contact some of them to see what is feasible. When driving into the course, there are always people buying and selling tickets. I have no idea what their price is but Georgia law restricts how close they can be to the course. In other words, you will not see them near the course, maybe a mile or so from the course.
Yeah I saw about the 2700 foot restriction for buying tickets - step over that line and potentially get led away in handcuffs! :shock: I think that I-20 is far enough away, so if I were going to buy tickets locally I would probably start looking there, unless there's some place better than that.
I come in to the backgate, exit 195 off I20 (Wheeler Rd). You usually will see people with signs selling tickets about a mile or so from the course. You should easily see this. Good luck on pricing, I hope you get a good price.

Also, this year for first time, they did a lottery for single day tickets and, of course, they always do lottery for practice rounds. You should try that as well for future tournaments. I hope you enjoy it. Augusta is an awesome place.

Gnirk
Posts: 794
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:11 am
Location: Western Washington

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by Gnirk » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:07 pm

My friend sold his extra tickets in Augusta, for face value, the day before the practice around, outside the parking area at Augusta.
You may also be able to buy them on eBay, which is where we sold our two extra tickets, but that was several months before the round.

BTW, my husband and I prefer going to the practice rounds rather than the tournaments, because the players are more relaxed, may chat with you and many will sign autographs, if that's important to you.
I thought Augusta was amazing, not only because of the beauty of the course, but from an historical standpoint. Walking the course gives you an entirely different perspective when you watch the match on television. For example, fairways which look fairly flat on tv are actually a bit hilly.

And it's the only sporting event I've attended where there has been a long line for the men's restroom, and no line for the women's. :sharebeer

clp21
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:42 pm

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by clp21 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:46 pm

Used to live in Augusta...although it is a small risk to travel to Augusta without tickets, I recommend waiting until practice round days to buy tickets. On practice round days you can usually catch someone leaving the course and buy their tickets for re entry on the cheap. Several years ago we bought 4 tickets for $30/ticket.

J295
Posts: 1465
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:40 pm

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by J295 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:37 pm

The advice to go there and purchase tickets is reasonable (and you can also check the online sources at that time too).

I had practice tickets a few years ago, which I obtained through the Masters lottery (you may wish to enter the lottery this year). As it worked out I couldn't make the trip, so I offered them to some friends but didn't have any takers. so I sold them on ebay. I wish I was in that boat today so I could send them your way. Continue to get the word out that you are looking and maybe something will open up for you. (You could also win or place as runner up in the US Amateur and receive an automatic invite :happy )

Good luck!

02sbxstr
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:30 pm

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by 02sbxstr » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:45 pm

If you are indeed a certified golf enthusiast, you need to go to Augusta at least once. We were fortunate enough to win the lottery for Practice Round tickets once, in 2004. I've been interested in the Masters and Augusta since Arnold won in '58, '60, '62, and '64 - so it was a great treat to go. The experience was being on those hallowed grounds, not observing the tournament itself. Splurge! My wife says, you never saw an armored car in a funeral procession.
johnep wrote:The crowd is much more enthusiastic, especially around Amen Corner (holes 13, 15 and 16).
No! Amen Corner is #11, #12, and #13. 2014 will be a footnote year in the respect that the Eisenhower tree on #17 was lost to the great 3in Atlanta snowstorm of a few weeks ago. Good luck - I hate Nike, but in their words, Just do it.

User avatar
zaboomafoozarg
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:53 pm

J295 wrote:The advice to go there and purchase tickets is reasonable (and you can also check the online sources at that time too).

I had practice tickets a few years ago, which I obtained through the Masters lottery (you may wish to enter the lottery this year). As it worked out I couldn't make the trip, so I offered them to some friends but didn't have any takers. so I sold them on ebay. I wish I was in that boat today so I could send them your way. Continue to get the word out that you are looking and maybe something will open up for you. (You could also win or place as runner up in the US Amateur and receive an automatic invite :happy )

Good luck!
Thanks! I probably shouldn't count on luck though, as I've done the lottery for almost a decade, but have yet to win a ticket. I think I might have to drive down this year and buy one around there.

DireWolf
Posts: 335
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 4:53 pm

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by DireWolf » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:25 pm

I won the practice round lottery for the first time this year! (after many years of futility) I'm taking my dad, who is a bonafide golf junky. We've been to U.S. Opens and PGA championships but never had the change to see Augusta National in person. I entered the lottery for practice rounds only... we are going to see the course and take it all in without all the crowds. The purpose of this trip is not to watch the golf... you can do that at any tournament... walking around Augusta National is special and certainly a once in a lifetime opportunity for my Dad and me. An added bonus is that they let you take pictures during the practice rounds. It is not trivial to gain entrance to this golf course... many have tried and failed... we will not take it for granted.

Calm Man
Posts: 2917
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 9:35 am

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by Calm Man » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:20 pm

Why would somebody PAY to watch a practice round where nothing that happens matters. Shouldn't they pay you for this?

User avatar
zaboomafoozarg
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:21 pm

Calm Man wrote:Why would somebody PAY to watch a practice round where nothing that happens matters. Shouldn't they pay you for this?
This is Augusta, it's hallowed ground!

User avatar
zaboomafoozarg
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:36 am

Eh, it's looking like it might be rainy next week. :( I think it's too risky to buy tickets now... if I do decide to go, I'll just have to see if I can pick them up in Augusta.

User avatar
zaboomafoozarg
Posts: 1930
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Anyone ever buy Masters tickets in Augusta?

Post by zaboomafoozarg » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:29 am

For anyone reading this in the future: I ended up buying a Tuesday ticket once I saw the weather was going to be decent, and it was a fantastic experience. It took me almost 10 years to be willing to pay the steep price for a practice round ticket (about $300 nowadays for a Tuesday ticket), but it was truly enjoyable, memorable, and I think a good purchase if you really love golf. Being able to walk that perfect course and watch the pros prepare for the tournament (and have a little fun in the process on hole 16) is something I'll definitely need to do again... like maybe next spring :D

Post Reply