Where to buy polo shirts?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Tuga

Re: Where to buy polo shirts?

Post by Tuga »

Many of the brands mentioned are good buys, but they are a certain style and fit. There is nothing I hate more than spending money, even $10, for something I don't truly enjoy. I bought clothes many times when I was younger that I thought was a great deal, and then rarely wore the stuff, and then they filled my closet with many "good buys."

If you like a more modern or vintage fit and want something that will be high quality and usable for 7-10 years, then I think it's okay to spend upwards of $50 for a polo. Not too long ago I cleared out my closet and bought about 15 great quality pieces of clothing. Having a gotten rid of the clutter in my closet/dresser, and now having a closet nice and neat, actually feels better psychologically than knowing I saved X dollars on Y clothing.

I would rather buy one sweater for $150 than 10 for $15. That's how I think of it. if you can find the right fit and look, and only need to buy one sweater at $15 that works perfectly for you, even better!

I also always look at the place of manufacturing and fabric content, but that is a different discussion.
wassabi

Post by wassabi »

Banana Republic has nice polos (lux soft fabric) and this weekend they are running 40% off, so you'll drop about $27 per polo. Nice colors too.
Donnie Baseball Fan

Post by Donnie Baseball Fan »

A few things to consider. Known brand-name designers usually don't own manufacturing facilities, so a Polo, Lacoste, or Izod polo can vary in quality from one year to the next, or one user to another.
I have tried a ton of brands and can give some advice here.
For people on a budget, Lands' End polos are O.K.
I think Lacoste polos are a TOTAL rip off. I made the mistake of buying several a few years ago after I found them on sale. They looked good in the store, where they do all kinds of visual tricks to make them look good. Problem is, once you wash them, they look subpar. The collar has no structure, and the material loses its color vibrancy after even just one wash.
Polo-brand polos' quality can very greatly. There are mercerized-cotton polos that look good but some others look no better than a Lands' End polo.
Finally, if you are able to save some money, I would like to recommend Brooks Brothers polos. They are very pricey, but I have a few that are 10+ years old and look almost as good as new, which is remarkable because when these polos are new, they look way better than most others.
wassabi

Post by wassabi »

Donnie Baseball Fan wrote:A few things to consider. Known brand-name designers usually don't own manufacturing facilities, so a Polo, Lacoste, or Izod polo can vary in quality from one year to the next, or one user to another.
I have tried a ton of brands and can give some advice here.
For people on a budget, Lands' End polos are O.K.
I think Lacoste polos are a TOTAL rip off. I made the mistake of buying several a few years ago after I found them on sale. They looked good in the store, where they do all kinds of visual tricks to make them look good. Problem is, once you wash them, they look subpar. The collar has no structure, and the material loses its color vibrancy after even just one wash.
Polo-brand polos' quality can very greatly. There are mercerized-cotton polos that look good but some others look no better than a Lands' End polo.
Finally, if you are able to save some money, I would like to recommend Brooks Brothers polos. They are very pricy, but I have a few that are 10+ years old and look almost as good as new, which is remarkable because when these polos are new, they look way better than most others.

I couldn't agree more about Lacoste. It took me a few years to learn (school of hard knocks) that these polos are just terrible. They shrink easily, the collars don't hold up, and the color fades (as you mentioned). Good call on warning against buying them.
Billionaire

Post by Billionaire »

Well, this may not be the most popular opinion on the forum, but here it goes. Polo's in general don't seem to have a long life. Once they've reached their limit, I usually wear them around the house on weekends instead of t-shirts. I happen to like IZOD, Ralph Lauren and other high end brands. If I have enough patience I can usually buy them at the end of the season/on sale or at a factory outlet. Plus, take some schlubby looking guy and put him in a Ralph Lauren polo and all of a sudden he looks like a million bucks. Oh, and my polo's only go in the dryer for 15 minutes(at most), then they get hung up to dry.
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

Target is having 40% off polos and shorts - http://www.target.com/sb/men-s-clothing ... 07073|null
UroloJay

Post by UroloJay »

jlawrence01 wrote:I buy my polo shirts at the following places:

TJ Maxx/ Marshall's - occasionally have the Polo brands in the mid $20s.
Burke's Outlet / Beall's Outlet - many polo style shirts are $5-15 - located in Southern-SW states
Costco / Sam's Club

I have spent no more than $12 in the past 15 years for a polo shirt and have a closet of Cutter & Buck, Ashworth, Nike Golf, Greg Norman, etc.

If you want cheap, you can find lower quality brands for #3-5.
Would second the TJ Maxx/Marshall's comment. They almost always have name brand polo shirts for $30 or less in my area.
Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like. -Will Rogers
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

I dress my husband in Brooks Brothers Polo Shirts. None other. Consistent quality keeps me coming back. Glad 02sbxstr mentioned it first!
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
atwood

Post by atwood »

Uniqlo on sale is hard to beat. I'm a new customer of theirs and so far I've been impressed.

LL Bean has, as posted above, jumped the shark. Their polos are huge and the fabric is rough and scratchy. Possibly because of that they seem to quickly develop holes from being washed. And it's a crap shoot whether the color will look the same as it does on the website.

Lacoste used to be THE polo, but no more. The cotton is now lightweight and they, as posted above, fade quickly. Far too expensive for what you get--"designed in France," but made in China.

The Saks polos I bought at their outlet store are quite nice and have held up well even though they are a softer cotton. I was surprised by how nice they've turned out.

Best deals are as mentioned above are at the thrift stores. It's amazing what people give away. I had a friend who wore only Polo polos and only bought them at thrift stores. Same for his khakis.

I've bought some stuff at Target, although not for a while, but it never seemed to take very long for it to start showing some wear.

American Apparel polos are on sale for $15 and are made in the USA. The Brooks Bros are nice but the price is too steep for something made in China IMO. For the same price you could buy a Loggerhead Bellwether 360 polo made in the USA from US-grown pima cotton.

I looked at the Costco polos last week when I was there and they seemed nice for the price.
fandango

Post by fandango »

Check out online shopping at Sierra Trading Post.

I bought 6 polo shirts for $6 a piece. Quality is equal to or better than Polo.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

Marshal's, Stein-Mart, Barrington Coat Factory or Stage.

In this category you usually do get what you pay for, or at least shopping for the premium brands is worth it.... I said usually, I have found some nice shirts at Walmart made with performance fabrics, however their cotton is garbage.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

investor wrote:LL BEAN

investor
+1

LLBean makes superb polos, and all at a very acceptable price----and no "haughty" logo, either!
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

I prefer Lacoste and Ralph Lauren shirts. I like the fit and the wear. They can be obtained in outlet malls and, for the Ralph Laurens, on sale at department stores as well as Marshalls and the like. The local Boston Store, part of the Carson Pirie Scott & Co chain, often has sales of the left over Ralph Laurens for about $30.00. Once on Ebay I was able to order 5 Lacoste shirts from China for under $100.00. I think they were made for the Asian market. They were, as best I could tell, actual Lacoste shirts.
takingcharge

Post by takingcharge »

I have bought about a dozen of the Kirkland performance/moisture wicking polos at Costco. No logos or pockets and long enough to tuck in. They don't fade like the 100% cotton ones do. Love them and wear them to work all the time. They are normally $15, but I picked some up about a month ago for $10. After washing, make sure to hang dry.