Social Security Cards

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Lon

Social Security Cards

Post by Lon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:55 pm

When was the last time that you were asked to produce your actual Social Security Card? I haven't seen my actual card in over 65 years. I have been asked for the card several times in the past year. I applied for a replacement and just got the new one in the mail. It's not very official looking. The Medicare card (which has your Social Security # on it, certainly looks more official. What got me was the notation that we are limited to 10 replacements in a year. WHAT??? Why do we even need the card any way? My Social Security number, like my old military service number is embedded in my memory for ever.

ajcp

Re: Social Security Cards

Post by ajcp » Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:59 pm

Driver's license, maybe passport too but i'm not 100% sure. But no, not something that I use often.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:18 pm

Lon wrote:What got me was the notation that we are limited to 10 replacements in a year. WHAT???

Actually, I think it is 3 per calendar year and 10 in a lifetime. I don't know what happens when you have received your allotted ten. I guess they deport you.

I still have the one my parents gave me (which I assume is the original). How, I have no I idea how. When my mom was about 80 she told me "insert nickname, the good thing about you is that when you get Alzheimer's, nobody will be able to tell the difference".
Last edited by Spirit Rider on Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:23 pm

I have my original card. What are you using yours for that requires so many replacements -- lighting cigars?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:24 pm

My employer asked for it last year even though I have worked here for a long time. Some federal law or maybe it's a Texas law.

It turns out that I still have my original SS cards signed by me at around age 10.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

damjam

Post by damjam » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:30 pm

I volunteer for AARP Tax-Aide. IRS rules require that we confirm the SS number of all clients. Acceptable proof of SS# includes: SS card, Medicare Card with an "A" after the number, SSA-1099 and few other government generated forms. Generally our clients have the SSA-1099 since they almost always collect SS. However, younger clients who are still working basically need to have their SS card, as they are unlikely to have any other of the acceptable forms.
The main reason for this requirement is to try to prevent identity theft.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:33 pm

I think my original SS card from the mid-60s was made of pressed paper pasteboard and fell apart after getting wet in my wallet once too many times. I never replaced it and don't plan to.

I do need to visit my local SS office soon to establish my claim to Divorced Spouse benefits. I do have certified documents of all the stuff needed to prove entitlement to that benefit, just no actual SS card. Will I be thrown out on the street and laughed at? Stay tuned...
Attempted new signature...

Flobes

Post by Flobes » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:36 pm

Lon wrote:I have been asked for the card several times in the past year.

Me too.

livesoft wrote:It turns out that I still have my original SS cards signed by me at around age 10.

Me too.

john94549

Post by john94549 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:43 pm

Several years back, I was asked to produce my S/S card to join Patelco Credit Union. I had misplaced it decades ago, and had to order a replacement.

Funny (but true), I found the original card going through stuff in my childhood bedroom a couple of weeks ago, in preparation for an estate sale.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:50 pm

My ss card is pretty beat up. I went to Office Max (?) several years ago to have it laminated. They refused and told me it is illegal to laminate it. Then I went to another place (Kinko's ??) and they told me the same thing.

Why is that?

ajcp

Post by ajcp » Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:53 pm

Pacific wrote:My ss card is pretty beat up. I went to Office Max (?) several years ago to have it laminated. They refused and told me it is illegal to laminate it. Then I went to another place (Kinko's ??) and they told me the same thing.

Why is that?

It isn't, but it's also not recommended

https://faq.ssa.gov/ics/support/KBAnswe ... docID=4056

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:03 pm

ajcp wrote:
Pacific wrote:My ss card is pretty beat up. I went to Office Max (?) several years ago to have it laminated. They refused and told me it is illegal to laminate it. Then I went to another place (Kinko's ??) and they told me the same thing.

Why is that?

It isn't, but it's also not recommended

https://faq.ssa.gov/ics/support/KBAnswe ... docID=4056

IF I could find my SS card (from mid-century), I very seriously doubt that there would be any security features intended to protect its "integrity".
Last time I saw it, the corners were all frayed, the layers were sort of peeling apart, and much of the print was somewhat worn off.

Interestingly, although I had to go to SS to get my name corrected before starting SS benefits, of all the things I was required to bring (legal name change, marriage certificate, birth certificate, passport, etc.), the one thing I was NEVER asked for was my SS card.

RM

placeholder

Post by placeholder » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:07 pm

My old paper one was a washing machine victim as well but the only time I needed one recently was about ten years ago to renew the driver's license and they reluctantly took a medical card with the number on it (which they don't do anymore).

Ged

Post by Ged » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:17 pm

I've had to produce mine several times in the past few years - for driver's license, new job, passport application, and security clearance application.

I think I'm my second one.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Strange. I have had only one card for my whole life, a paper one obtained in 1949 at the age of 16 when I had to have one for a summer job!! The card says Form OA-702. Rev. 6-48. Across the top banner is written "Social Security Act"...Not "Social Security" like the more modern (??) ones such as my wife's new one received in 1960 when her name was changed at marriage.
I carried it in my wallet until about 10 years ago when I read it was advisable not to do so. I know it has been wet, including in the ocean, several times. I even carried it much of the time in the Marines. It's a light brown yucky color now!!
The last time I was asked to look at it? I have no idea...maybe passport renewal(?)...but at one time I was asked to show it often, like at doctor's offices, at the University in college, getting utilities turned on at a new house, all over.....That was before security became a concern. It was like a national ID card.
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

02sbxstr

Post by 02sbxstr » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:01 pm

I haven't been asked to produce my SS card since maybe 1972, when I went to work for my long time employer. When I applied for benefits 2 years ago, I used my passport for ID. As others have mentioned, I sincerely doubt my 50+ year old card incorporates any anti-fraud technologies. I am eligible for Medicare soon, and received my card not long ago. It is still a paper card!! Why isn't it plasticized like any other credit card or like the cards I received for Medigap and Part D. I had it laminated (horrors) and it is bigger than a credit card which makes it inconvenient to carry in my minimal money clip. It shows my SS number - how is this secure?

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:04 pm

I still have my original SS card issued in 1959 plus my draft card issued the same year.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:09 pm

Sheepdog wrote:... It was like a national ID card.

Many universities used the SS numbers for student numbers back in the days. When we converted our student records systems to the IBM/360 we expanded size of the student number field to accommodate SS numbers. I don't know if they actually converted to SS number as I moved on to a different employer before every system was converted.

placeholder

Post by placeholder » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:31 pm

Back in the day, some of the big classes at college would post exam results with SSNs instead of names for "privacy" reasons so imagine THAT today!

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:37 pm

When my wife and I were at a Canadian airport applying for our work permit, the Canadian border officer asked my wife (while looking at a screen rather intently) what her social security number was, and then asked if she had her card on her. That was a bit surprising--he had her passport in front of him, but still wanted to see the social security card.

She didn't have it on her, of course, and we still got the work permits, but I'm guessing that her name (somewhat common) triggered some sort of match with someone else on some "do not allow" list.

LTC

Post by LTC » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:55 pm

I got my social security card in 1962 when I was 10 years old. I was told to laminate it. Cards since then say "do not laminate" on the back but mine did not. Mine also was issued by the Department of Health, Education and Welfare (HEW). Back in the day, all three of those areas fell under one department. I have my card and will need to show it to the DMV here in TX when I renew my driver's license later this year. BTW, I was essentially given two cards at that time. I did not laminate the second one and still have it. I don't think I will have any issues but then again, we live in a different world in regards to "proving" who you are. I too remember in college having my grades posted by my SSN on a list on the prof's door.

serbeer

Post by serbeer » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:59 pm

Not sure about nowadays, but I was asked my SS card every time I changed my employment, which was about 3 or 4 times in my life.

Because that used to be the way to confirm that the person has the right to work in US--some cards have restrictions:
http://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm

Perhaps it is done through computer databases nowadays, but in the past there were not any.

dpc

Post by dpc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:22 pm

I'm 63 - I still have my original SS card - I think - in our safe deposit box. I haven't looked at it in a long time. I can't recall the last time anyone asked to see it - if ever. It would be pretty easy to create a fake version of the SS Card I have so I'm not sure what value it has as identification. Just a piece of card stock with my name on it. For the last drivers license renewal, they were happy with my passport, plus just about anything else with my name on it. I can't remember what I needed the first time I got a passport. On the other hand, it's in our box, so it must be valuable. 8-)
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:24 pm

dpc wrote:I'm 63 - I still have my original SS card - I think - in our safe deposit box. I haven't looked at it in a long time. I can't recall the last time anyone asked to see it - if ever. It would be pretty easy to create a fake version of the SS Card I have so I'm not sure what value it has as identification. Just a piece of card stock with my name on it. For the last drivers license renewal, they were happy with my passport, plus just about anything else with my name on it. I can't remember what I needed the first time I got a passport. On the other hand, it's in our box, so it must be valuable. 8-)

If/when you do look at it, it probably has written on in something about "not to be used for identification purposes".

I never understood that.
And yet it was indeed demanded for "identification purposes", at least in past decades.

RM

peppers

Post by peppers » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:32 pm

On the bottom of the card....

For Social Security And Tax Purposes - Not For Identification
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."

dpc

Post by dpc » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 pm

If/when you do look at it, it probably has written on in something about "not to be used for identification purposes".

Yep - I remember that part. I'm so old that my university did NOT use SSN for student ID when I was there. They switched years later but recently had to switch to something else. Try to get transcripts is a nightmare.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

sport

Post by sport » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:51 pm

ResearchMed wrote:If/when you do look at it, it probably has written on in something about "not to be used for identification purposes".

I never understood that.
And yet it was indeed demanded for "identification purposes", at least in past decades.
RM

When Social Security was started in the 1930's, there were political objections to having a "national identification card". It was considered by some to be an invasion of privacy. To accommodate those concerns, the cards were marked "not to be used for identification purposes". At least that is what I remember learning about it.
Jeff

cfs

Post by cfs » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:57 pm

Good conversation.

A couple of years ago I went to what I consider to be the best government office in the nation with the most competent government employees and less than 15 minutes later I was done requesting a replacement social security card, a few days later the card arrived in the mail.

Thanks for reading.
~ Donating Member ~

FlyOverState

Post by FlyOverState » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:03 pm

john94549 wrote:Several years back, I was asked to produce my S/S card to join Patelco Credit Union. I had misplaced it decades ago, and had to order a replacement.

Funny (but true), I found the original card going through stuff in my childhood bedroom a couple of weeks ago, in preparation for an estate sale.

We just opened a savings account on Saturday for our seven-year-old and one requirement was for the bank to make a copy of his SS Card. Fortunately, I knew right where it was...
Thanks, | John | | FlyOverState

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:17 pm

Re laminating your SS card: I believe there are a number of other government issued documents you are not supposed to laminate. Until recently pilot's licenses were a decrepit paper thing, which you usually have to produce regularly, i.e. when renting an airplane. Everyone I know laminated theirs, even though the same prohibition existed.

I would have no hesitation about using a self-lamination kit on my SS card.

If I knew where it was!

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:58 pm

Lon wrote:When was the last time that you were asked to produce your actual Social Security Card? I haven't seen my actual card in over 65 years. I have been asked for the card several times in the past year. I applied for a replacement and just got the new one in the mail. It's not very official looking. The Medicare card (which has your Social Security # on it, certainly looks more official. What got me was the notation that we are limited to 10 replacements in a year. WHAT??? Why do we even need the card any way? My Social Security number, like my old military service number is embedded in my memory for ever.
Nobody is supposed to ask for it because it's not for purposes of identification, just like it says right on the card.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:24 am

serbeer wrote:Not sure about nowadays, but I was asked my SS card every time I changed my employment, which was about 3 or 4 times in my life.

It should be OK for your employer to ask because he needs the correct number to forward your income and Medicare tax deductions to the government.

damjam

Post by damjam » Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:08 am

nisiprius wrote:
Lon wrote:When was the last time that you were asked to produce your actual Social Security Card? I haven't seen my actual card in over 65 years. I have been asked for the card several times in the past year. I applied for a replacement and just got the new one in the mail. It's not very official looking. The Medicare card (which has your Social Security # on it, certainly looks more official. What got me was the notation that we are limited to 10 replacements in a year. WHAT??? Why do we even need the card any way? My Social Security number, like my old military service number is embedded in my memory for ever.
Nobody is supposed to ask for it because it's not for purposes of identification, just like it says right on the card.

At our tax preparation sites, the IRS requires it not to identify the person, but to verify that the SS# being given is correct. Also it confirms the exact name that SS has on file for matching purposes for e-file. If the name doesn't match the e-file will be rejected.
Picture ID is required for identification purposes.

OAG

Post by OAG » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:41 am

Still have the original card. I laminated it a long time ago. It sits in a firebox with all of the unused Credit and Debit Cards. Can't remember the last time I was asked to produce the thing.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.