Used filing cabinet came without rails for file folders

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
tidalwave10

Used filing cabinet came without rails for file folders

Post by tidalwave10 »

I purchased a metal 2 drawer filing cabinet at a thrift store for $10. Problem is that the drawers don't have any "rails" upon which hanging file folders can rest. Can "inserts" or rails, or whatever you'd call them, be purchased at an office supply store like Staples, etc? Or be special-ordered online? I've got a photo of the drawer interior but this forum doesn't seem to permit direct image uploads.

My other 2 drawer metal filing cabinet, purchased new at Target for $35 doesn't seem to have removable rails at all--the metal is structured so that letter sized hanging file folders just fit as-is.

So, can I make the thrift store filing cabinet work as expected or just chalk it up as a loss due to inexperience? :-)
bengal22

Re: Used filing cabinet came without rails for file folders

Post by bengal22 »

yes you can buy rails.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 »

bengal22 wrote:yes you can buy rails.
Thanks.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

That just takes me to google without even a query.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

It worked for me. In fact, this thread is the second result!
jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL »

frugaltype wrote:
That just takes me to google without even a query.
Your browser will probably do the search for you if you just type in "file cabinet metal rail insert" in the address bar; or you can go to google.com and type the words.

https://www.google.com/search?btnG=1&pw ... ail+insert

jimb
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

tidalwave10 wrote:I purchased a metal 2 drawer filing cabinet at a thrift store for $10. Problem is that the drawers don't have any "rails" upon which hanging file folders can rest. Can "inserts" or rails, or whatever you'd call them, be purchased at an office supply store like Staples, etc? Or be special-ordered online? I've got a photo of the drawer interior but this forum doesn't seem to permit direct image uploads.

My other 2 drawer metal filing cabinet, purchased new at Target for $35 doesn't seem to have removable rails at all--the metal is structured so that letter sized hanging file folders just fit as-is.

So, can I make the thrift store filing cabinet work as expected or just chalk it up as a loss due to inexperience? :-)
You do realize that many people always use filing cabinets without rails, and that many/most filing cabinets come without rails or any built-in accommodation for them? Having had experience with both types, I usually prefer without rails, but there are advantages and disadvantages to each. Without is probably the more boglehead approach, since it costs less. Obviously, you wouldn't use hanging folders in a cabinet without rails or extended walls, but you don't need them, either.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

tibbitts wrote:
tidalwave10 wrote:I purchased a metal 2 drawer filing cabinet at a thrift store for $10. Problem is that the drawers don't have any "rails" upon which hanging file folders can rest. Can "inserts" or rails, or whatever you'd call them, be purchased at an office supply store like Staples, etc? Or be special-ordered online? I've got a photo of the drawer interior but this forum doesn't seem to permit direct image uploads.

You do realize that many people always use filing cabinets without rails, and that many/most filing cabinets come without rails or any built-in accommodation for them? Having had experience with both types, I usually prefer without rails, but there are advantages and disadvantages to each. Without is probably the more boglehead approach, since it costs less. Obviously, you wouldn't use hanging folders in a cabinet without rails or extended walls, but you don't need them, either.
I too prefer rail-less file cabinets.
Gordon
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Now I'm having one of those :oops: "why didn't I think of that" moments.
Topic Author
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 »

tibbitts wrote:

Thanks to all. Google is indeed my friend--I think it's something we all forget from time to time. So don't mind being schooled / reminded. :-)
Nope, didn't realize no rails was par for the filing cabinet course--at least in some cases. Ok, so using no rails, since you mentioned it. You just stack folders horizontally from bottom to top? That's what I'm doing now with my rail-less file cabinet and hate doing it that way.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

tidalwave10 wrote: Ok, so using no rails, since you mentioned it. You just stack folders horizontally from bottom to top? That's what I'm doing now with my rail-less file cabinet and hate doing it that way.
With enough folders, you can align them vertically as they will just lean against each other. If you don't have enough and like the vertical arrangement, you can use a bookend (only one needed as the front or back will serve as the other).

https://www.google.com/search?client=sa ... 8&oe=UTF-8 :)
margered

Post by margered »

Some filling cabinets come with an adjustable sliding bookend at the back of the drawer.
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

The rails work...but the secret is to get them absolutley as tight as you can....to avoid them coming apart when you have the hanging files installed.

My efforts have been to eliminate as many files as possible ...with the exception of copies of taxes etc that must be kept. Otherwise, I scan everything thanks to my Fujitsu Scan Snap (not an employee or stockholder)...just love the ease of this "paperless" method...and would recommend it to everyone.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

margered wrote:Some filling cabinets come with an adjustable sliding bookend at the back of the drawer.
Rail-less here. Works well with built-in bookend.

When I went searching for file cabinets (mid-1980s), I didn't like what I found at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, et al. So visited an office supply company (expensive!) and asked about quality old file cabinets. Was told to find an old Hon, Art Metal, or Steelcase unit.

Then knowing what to look for, I found an old Hon (legal-sized, 4 full-extension drawers, roller-glides, sliding/locking rear bookend) in a locksmith shop. Wasn't cheap, but much less than new and much better built. Locksmith installed a lock reasonably.

It's made a few cross-country moves (just lock it and go) and the movers have not been able to damage it. :) (Knock wood.)
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.