Rototiller

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
frugaltype

Rototiller

Post by frugaltype » Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:54 am

I'm looking for a rototiller for my vegetable gardens.

I'm in my 70s, so I don't want a 60 pound thing I have to drag around, but it has to be powerful enough to be useful. Up to this year, I used to dig over the beds with a pitchfork, but I''m getting more creaky, and one bed that I let go fallow last year has acquired some fairly impressive weed roots that are like thin twigs but extend for some distance and are the devil to pull up.

Electric would be more convenient, but gas is okay. Some sort of push button or turn key start is a must, as opposed to hauling away on a cord.

Has anyone used this one? If so, what do you think -

Earthwise TC70001 11-Inch 8-1/2 Amp Electric Tiller/Cultivator

http://www.amazon.com/Earthwise-TC70001 ... ise+tiller

Or other suggestions would be welcome, Thanks.
Last edited by frugaltype on Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

SteveNet

Re: Rototiller

Post by SteveNet » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:16 am

Greetings, I used to have a side job rototilling gardens and lawns about 20 yrs ago, I still have my Troy Bilt 8hp horse in fact that I used then.

Anyway, (I'm soon to be 60 myself) I would really suggest that you find an individual like I was that does this on the side and have them do it.
The tiller you listed might be good for weeding or scraping between the rows during the season, but for actually tilling down a good 8 inches
for vegetables it really isn't going to do the job.

Depending on the size of the garden the cost of having someone come in and till it for you would be around the cost of renting a Tiller for the day.
I would check out supermarket entrances where people hang posts and advertizements to do work (It's where I used to advertize).
I'm partial to Troy bilt rear tine tillers as the leave no foot prints or wheel marks in the soil, just all fluff.

With that type of tiller you can put a 2" layer of leaves and soil amendment on top of the ground which will be tilled in to improve the soil as well prior to him coming.
No more than 2" though each yr.
Being frugal is hard to learn, but once learned is hard to stop.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:59 am

We have a Mantis and, while it does a good job with loose soil, roots tend to wind around the tines. It handles an inch or so of leaves, but you have to work at it a bit and it can get bound up. It is gas-powered (2-cycle) and has a pull cord, but it isn't too hard to start.

Jay69

Post by Jay69 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:00 am

SteveNet gave good advice.

I myself have had a garden for the last 25 years and with the amount of weeds/roots you are talking about I don't think your listed tiller is going to be much help.

Our garden was good size when we were young about 40x80 and a tiller behind the tractor worked great. With the busy life we have now the garden is down to 12x20 maybe, it will get bigger again I'm sure. Someone gave us an old 3.5hp front tiller and that does just an ok job with the smaller garden, I would say its at its max and we live in sandy soils, again it does just ok. I like to add a few inches of leaves in when the PH calls and the 3.5 tiller just cant cut it so I grind them up with the rider then mix them as best I can.

A tiller is one of those things you can hire done and it would be cheaper then buying/storing/maintaining. I happen to enjoy running and maintaining the tiller and garden still so I have and will continue until I can't I suppose. I see adds all over where I live for people who will till for $25-$30 for a typical garden.
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein

SteveNet

Post by SteveNet » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:18 am

Jay69 wrote:SteveNet gave good advice.

I myself have had a garden for the last 25 years and with the amount of weeds/roots you are talking about I don't think your listed tiller is going to be much help.

Our garden was good size when we were young about 40x80 and a tiller behind the tractor worked great. With the busy life we have now the garden is down to 12x20 maybe, it will get bigger again I'm sure. Someone gave us an old 3.5hp front tiller and that does just an ok job with the smaller garden, I would say its at its max and we live in sandy soils, again it does just ok. I like to add a few inches of leaves in when the PH calls and the 3.5 tiller just cant cut it so I grind them up with the rider then mix them as best I can.

A tiller is one of those things you can hire done and it would be cheaper then buying/storing/maintaining. I happen to enjoy running and maintaining the tiller and garden still so I have and will continue until I can't I suppose. I see adds all over where I live for people who will till for $25-$30 for a typical garden.
Thanks Jay69,

Also don't feel bad that the person doing the tilling is only charging the $25 to $30 per average garden (previously tilled ground) back when I did it, after I scheduled all my gardens in an efficient order.
I typically made around $70 an hour, But that was with a $2,000 machine. I could blow out a garden 20 x 30 in about 15 min. 8" deep and it looked like it was raked when it was done.
Check and see if anyone on your street has someone do theirs, I always gave a discount if I had more than one on the same street...less pack up and travel time = more profit. :mrgreen:
Being frugal is hard to learn, but once learned is hard to stop.