What are reliable refrigerator brands these days?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
jwblue

What are reliable refrigerator brands these days?

Post by jwblue » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:03 pm

Has anyone done refrigerator shopping lately?

Looking for a side by side without a water dispenser.

What about an Electrolux?

Haier?

cheese_breath

Re: What are reliable refrigerator brands these days?

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:20 pm

GE... NOT!

Mine went out a few days after the guarantee expired. Fortunately the service man fixed it under the guarantee anyway.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

NOLA

Post by NOLA » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:31 pm

Bought a Samsung with French doors about 2 years ago and very happy with it so far.

asterix0

Post by asterix0 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:41 pm

Consumer Reports ranks Maytag and Kenmore as more reliable.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:44 pm

Bought a Frigidaire 3 years ago and it still runs fine. I never hooked up the ice maker though because I heard too many people's stories of it only lasting a year or less.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:49 am

cheese_breath wrote:GE... NOT!

Mine went out a few days after the guarantee expired. Fortunately the service man fixed it under the guarantee anyway.
Stay away from GE refrigerators. Junk nowadays.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

animule

Post by animule » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:03 am

Bought a Whirlpool about four years ago; model has refrigerator on bottom, freezer on top. Freezer said to be the "most efficient" unit on the market with the lowest energy costs.

Thing was a lemon from the get-go.

Spent about 5-6 days using the garage as the refrigerator/freezer after it conked the first time.

Repair guy spent HOURS trying to fix it. Would run without refrigerating or freezing anything.

Ended up making two to three return trips. Finally fixed it. Went for the extended warranty (first time ever for an appliance) because I just don't trust it.

Was told by the repair guy for our original GE unit that these units are built to conk in about 10 years now. Nothing you can do about it. If you look at the back of the unit (removing the panel in the freezer), you could see for the GE unit how there is no way to fix anything once the water corrodes the ducting and more back there.

Really disappointing experience, all the way around. 21MFTA is the Whirlpool model number. Have really grown to dislike the layout of the thing too - has a big "panel" in the center of the fridge that comes down and you can't even put a tall bottle of beer in there because there isn't enough clearance. Ridiculous.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:08 am

LG french door with bottom freezer. No ice maker in the door, but one in the bottom interior. Very nice looking, very reliable. I have had Kenmore in the past and would not purchase them in the future. I have had KitchenAid in the past and would not purchase them in the future. I would purchase LG again.

A lot depends on past personal experience. Past experiences with bad appliances can leave a vivid memory.

ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:22 am

I've been looking off and on for a couple of years now, and I've come to the conclusion that it's nearly impossible to find a french door fridge that does not include a water dispenser. I'd prefer not to have one more thing that can break, but I guess mechanical complexity sells.

One thing I would stress, is to ensure that any water or ice dispensers are on the inside of the doors, not the outside. Fewer holes in the insulation are better, not to mention hosing through door hinge areas.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:24 am

EagertoLearnMore wrote:LG french door with bottom freezer. No ice maker in the door, but one in the bottom interior. Very nice looking, very reliable. I have had Kenmore in the past and would not purchase them in the future. I have had KitchenAid in the past and would not purchase them in the future. I would purchase LG again.
My Kenmore Elite french door with bottom freezer sounds a lot like yours and was, in fact, made by LG.

Our water dispenser has been broken for years. We disabled it when we got tired of it spewing out water at random moments (including when we were out of town once). The ice maker in the bottom freezer still works. We had two different appliance repair companies tell us that LG doesn't even sell the parts we need to have the water dispenser fixed.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:25 am

I have a GE. I think it's about 8 years old. Works just great.

Also have a Jenn Air about 10 years old. Works just great too.

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:30 am

I thought, and still do, that one of the best people to ask for recommendations about an appliance purchase is someone who repairs them.

Unfortunately, my occasional meet-ups with our appliance repairman are very discouraging. When I ask him what brand he would recommend for purchase these days, his answer, for several years now, and regardless of the specific type of appliance being discussed, has usually been: "None. They're all junk, and you'll be lucky to get to five years of use without a major repair."

He says our 10-year-old Sears Kenmore refrigerator is no great thing, but still better than what's being made now, by anyone, in a comparable price range. He waxes absolutely sentimental about our late-1990s laundry machines, made by Kitchenaid in the U.S., with heavier parts and all-metal exterior housings.

For all of these appliances he simply recommends that we "keep repairing what you've got, as long as the parts are available." I don't know what we'll do when something finally becomes unrepairable. We won't want to change repairmen, but we'll obviously have to get recommendations elsewhere.

Regarding refrigerators, he dislikes the ones with freezer on the bottom, says that repair access to the guts of the refrigerator is more difficult than in other layouts.

It doesn't help that, because of conglomeration in the appliance industry, a host of brand names which were once made by truly separate companies are now under the umbrellas of just a few.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:58 am

beardsworth wrote: doesn't help that, because of conglomeration in the appliance industry, a host of brand names which were once made by truly separate companies are now under the umbrellas of just a few.
You mean due to the consolidation of the appliance industry.

Most appliances are produced like PCs. If you take them apart, they use many common parts made by the same manufacturers.

I have found that generally, the best source of information is NOT Consumer Reports but is the local appliance repairman. They will happily tell you which models to buy and which to avoid.

carolc

Post by carolc » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:00 am

I have a 3 year
old GE Profile and am happy with it thus far. I better be; it was expensive.

carolc

Tim_in_GA

Post by Tim_in_GA » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:09 am

My GE Profile fridge has been working great for six years. No complaints. Pretty much the same as Samsung, even made in Korea.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:20 am

Maybe "past performance is no guarantee of future results" applies to refrigerators too. I mentioned that my new GE crapped out when the guarantee expired (one year), but I didn't mention I kept the GE it replaced and moved it to the basement. That one is almost 14 years old and still running like a charm. And the Kenmore it replaced was still running at over 20 years when I let it go.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:20 am

jwblue wrote:Has anyone done refrigerator shopping lately?

Haier?
My cousin had an Electrolux dishwasher (in North America). Nightmare and hard to get parts. Never again.

In Europe, Bosch is a reliable brand. Siemens is its pricey brother. Miele are good, but I'd only pay that premium for a washing machine/ dishwasher.

I think the South Koreans are pretty good (LG and Samsung).

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:21 am

cheese_breath wrote:Maybe "past performance is no guarantee of future results" applies to refrigerators too. I mentioned that my new GE crapped out when the guarantee expired (one year), but I didn't mention I kept the GE it replaced and moved it to the basement. That one is almost 14 years old and still running like a charm. And the Kenmore it replaced was still running at over 20 years when I let it go.
It's probably not like for like as fridges are different beasts than they were 14 years ago, let alone 20. So many factories have been closed, production relocated etc.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:22 am

beardsworth wrote:I thought, and still do, that one of the best people to ask for recommendations about an appliance purchase is someone who repairs them.

Unfortunately, my occasional meet-ups with our appliance repairman are very discouraging. When I ask him what brand he would recommend for purchase these days, his answer, for several years now, and regardless of the specific type of appliance being discussed, has usually been: "None. They're all junk, and you'll be lucky to get to five years of use without a major repair."

He says our 10-year-old Sears Kenmore refrigerator is no great thing, but still better than what's being made now, by anyone, in a comparable price range. He waxes absolutely sentimental about our late-1990s laundry machines, made by Kitchenaid in the U.S., with heavier parts and all-metal exterior housings.

For all of these appliances he simply recommends that we "keep repairing what you've got, as long as the parts are available." I don't know what we'll do when something finally becomes unrepairable. We won't want to change repairmen, but we'll obviously have to get recommendations elsewhere.

Regarding refrigerators, he dislikes the ones with freezer on the bottom, says that repair access to the guts of the refrigerator is more difficult than in other layouts.

It doesn't help that, because of conglomeration in the appliance industry, a host of brand names which were once made by truly separate companies are now under the umbrellas of just a few.
Stick with a good repairman as long as you can. If he can't get the parts, then no one can.

davebarnes

My preference

Post by davebarnes » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:34 am

Sub-Zero.
Had one for 24 years.
Still running great when we sold the house.
A nerd living in Denver

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Electrolux refrigerators ?

Post by Taylor Larimore » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:36 am

jwblue wrote:Has anyone done refrigerator shopping lately?

Haier?
Haier:

When I buy something I know little about (which is nearly everything), I go to Consumer Reports available in most libraries. In addition to their own extensive research, their survey's represents the average of thousands of users.

I have a 2012 Consumer Reports Buying Guide. In the "side-by-side" category, Consumer Reports ranks 43 refrigerators: Electrolux model EI265530J[W] was ranked 10th. Electrolux model EW23CS656[W] was ranked 42nd primarily for its poor temperature performance and poor energy efficiency.

My "Buying Guide" reports that for side-by-side refrigerators, Whirlpool averaged the fewest repairs and LG averaged the most repairs among 8 top-selling brands. Electrolux was not rated for repairs.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle

placeholder

Post by placeholder » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:36 am

Note that Kenmore isn't really a brand. They buy from other manufacturers and rebrand.

Altephor

Post by Altephor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:44 pm

We have a Fisher and Paykel in our rented apartment (so we did not buy it). We have never had an issue with it, other than the fact that I can't find anyway to disable to damn 'door open' warning. Drives me crazy loading groceries.
ThatGuy wrote:I've been looking off and on for a couple of years now, and I've come to the conclusion that it's nearly impossible to find a french door fridge that does not include a water dispenser. I'd prefer not to have one more thing that can break, but I guess mechanical complexity sells..
They also have several models that have french doors with no water dispenser.

SteveNet

Post by SteveNet » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:35 pm

And this is the reason I'm keeping my 21 yr old GE fridge/freezer for as long as I can.

Despite all the claims of "More Efficient" mine runs $75 per year in Electricity, tested with Killowatt meter.
New ones cost about $35 per year to run.
BUT I've read too many reports (like here) that new ones are designed to have a short life.

Someday mine will quit and I will be forced to spend on the newer junk. Till then I keep the coils clean on the old one, and my fingers crossed.
Being frugal is hard to learn, but once learned is hard to stop.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:04 pm

We have an energy efficient GE refrigerator with freezer on top now for 4 years and had no problems so far. The previous GE refrigerator ran for 25 years without problems, but did cost too much in electricity the state told us, also was heating up the kitchen in summer. Anyway, all the new appliances no longer last so long as in the past. We were told refrigerators nowadays only last 9 years, dishwashers 6 years, etc. As we learned about washing machines, it pays to buy extended warranty.

Munir

Post by Munir » Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:20 pm

I value 2014 Consumer Reports recommendations over any repair person. The repair people's primary concern is how easy it is to repair certain models. Consumer Reports has an overall evaluation with numbers and statistics instead of the anecdotal perspective of repair people.

I have a bottom-freezer Kenmore made by LG which works fine. Ice-makers are OK but water dispensers are a hassle and break down often.

kingsnake

Post by kingsnake » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:34 pm

Another vote for Sub Zero.

iceport

Post by iceport » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:29 pm

beardsworth wrote:Unfortunately, my occasional meet-ups with our appliance repairman are very discouraging. When I ask him what brand he would recommend for purchase these days, his answer, for several years now, and regardless of the specific type of appliance being discussed, has usually been: "None. They're all junk, and you'll be lucky to get to five years of use without a major repair."
This is OT, but this deliberate compromise in quality is disturbing. :annoyed I have a 1957 Hotpoint Super-Stor in the basement that's still quietly humming along perfectly, after 57 years. What's more, though it frosts up and holds a fraction of today's refrigerators, it's energy use is comparable to modern refrigerators.

More to the OP's question, I've been very pleased with a 2001 Kitchen Aid, but that's probably not recent enough manufacturing to be reflective of the quality of the brand today.

--Peter
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” ─William Bernstein

rotorhead

Post by rotorhead » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:18 pm

Our GE fridge, model TFX22ZRSM, is still going strong for soon to be 19 years. It's noisy, but still works very well.

I did repair the ice maker couple of years ago with the assistance of http://www.appliancepartspros.com/. Was not hard to do. For any who are inclined to do your own repairs, I heartily recommend Appliance Parts Pros. Very helpful site. In addition to the fridge, I have repaired a clothes dryer and dishwasher as well. All appliances were new when we bought the house. I plan to keep them going as long as I can. Never had a repairman in the house.

tomd37

Post by tomd37 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:24 pm

I know nothing about their refrigerator/freezer products, but a look a Miele (a German company) might be worthwhile. My experience with their vacuum cleaners, both upright and cannister, has been outstanding. Google Miele.
Tom D.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:39 pm

carolc wrote:I have a 3 year
old GE Profile and am happy with it thus far. I better be; it was expensive.

carolc
That's what we had for less than two years. First year we had two service calls, and they never could it fixed.
Noisy as hell too.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:10 pm

IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Candor

Post by Candor » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:33 pm

petrico wrote:
beardsworth wrote:Unfortunately, my occasional meet-ups with our appliance repairman are very discouraging. When I ask him what brand he would recommend for purchase these days, his answer, for several years now, and regardless of the specific type of appliance being discussed, has usually been: "None. They're all junk, and you'll be lucky to get to five years of use without a major repair."
This is OT, but this deliberate compromise in quality is disturbing. :annoyed I have a 1957 Hotpoint Super-Stor in the basement that's still quietly humming along perfectly, after 57 years. What's more, though it frosts up and holds a fraction of today's refrigerators, it's energy use is comparable to modern refrigerators.

More to the OP's question, I've been very pleased with a 2001 Kitchen Aid, but that's probably not recent enough manufacturing to be reflective of the quality of the brand today.

--Peter
I have a Hotpoint handed down from my parents that they purchased when we moved to the US in 1980 and it is still going strong. It has some rust along the bottom seal of the freezer that I have to work on every couple of years but it's good to know besides the minor rust issue it might outlast me.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:05 am

tomd37 wrote:I know nothing about their refrigerator/freezer products, but a look a Miele (a German company) might be worthwhile. My experience with their vacuum cleaners, both upright and cannister, has been outstanding. Google Miele.
Everything about Miele is great. The question is a Miele washing machine costs c. 2x what a Bosch one does (in the UK) and is it worth the premium? Say £425 for the Bosch and c. £900 for the Miele. (say USD650 and USD 1350).

But they do German style reliability engineering. If you have a son on the local rugby squad or a daughter who plays Lacrosse or field hockey, then I'd consider investing in a Miele washer. I do mean 'investing' though.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:10 am

SteveNet wrote:And this is the reason I'm keeping my 21 yr old GE fridge/freezer for as long as I can.

Despite all the claims of "More Efficient" mine runs $75 per year in Electricity, tested with Killowatt meter.
BUT I've read too many reports (like here) that new ones are designed to have a short life.

Someday mine will quit and I will be forced to spend on the newer junk. Till then I keep the coils clean on the old one, and my fingers crossed.
It really is more than claims. 1980 fridges tested out at about 2000 kwhr pa. 2012 fridges (which are larger) something around 650 kwhr pa. Could be as low as 500 kwhr pa which would be about $50-60 pa at US avg electricity price (10.5 cent/ kwhr). $35 sounds low (my fridge freezer does that ie 300 kwhr pa but it's half the size of an American fridge).

1992 was the year they brought in significant legislative changes from memory, GE may have been ahead of the curve which is why yours is significantly more efficient than that (California pushed it first, in a bid to avoid building new nuclear plants, and the appliance manufacturers went to Congress and asked for uniform national regulation, rather than state by state).
Last edited by Valuethinker on Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:13 am

Candor wrote:
petrico wrote:

--Peter
I have a Hotpoint handed down from my parents that they purchased when we moved to the US in 1980 and it is still going strong. It has some rust along the bottom seal of the freezer that I have to work on every couple of years but it's good to know besides the minor rust issue it might outlast me.
If you check, you could be spending $200 a year for electricity on that thing. We've had people here replace old fridges (or get rid of the 'spare' fridge in the garage or basement) and notice a significant drop in electricity bills (like $10 to $20 pcm).

A fridge freezer of that date could easily be spending 2000 kwhr pa ($220 pa at the average US electricity price). A modern one 1/3rd of that.

It may be the case that yours is more efficient than that, but the improvement curves are stunning. So it's worth checking.

sambb

Post by sambb » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:49 am

subzero. going on 21 years

midlemom

Post by midlemom » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:32 am

In the mid-range models: Samsung and LG.
We have Samsung side by side for the last 4 years and its working great.
LG french door is another good option.
GE Profile appliances are junk.

3Wood85

Post by 3Wood85 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:55 am

I bought a GE this past August, it has been great so far though I rarely use the ice maker and never use the water dispenser. Its unfortunate that these pricey appliances no longer last as long as older models.

Munir

Post by Munir » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:30 am

sambb wrote:subzero. going on 21 years
For me, a bad experience with subzero. Too much hype and too much money.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:11 pm

I'm also looking to buy a frig for my Venezuela apartment but I have unique concerns and seek advice.

The upside to buying appliances in Venezuela is that, with the black market (official rate of exchange is about 6.5-11.5 bolivars/USD, black market rate is about 80-85 bolivars/USD) , a new frig can be about 1/10 the price it would be in the US. Which means about $200-250 for a new, medium-size frost-free model.

The downside is that most suppliers are refusing to sell any more refrig's to Venezuela because they are getting ripped off. If you find a good one you have to buy it the same day or it is gone. So I have not seen Samsungs or LGs since December...maybe never again, who knows.

My choice is now Electrolux or Daewoo (there are a few still around), or a lot of brands I never heard of that are probably Chinese (Mabe seems to be the most common).

My inclination is Daewoo over Electrolux though the Electrolux looks nicer and appears slightly more ergonomic. I'm less inclined to take a chance on a Mabe or other brand.

Any thoughts?

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:36 pm

SteveNet wrote:And this is the reason I'm keeping my 21 yr old GE fridge/freezer for as long as I can.

+1

I have a 22 year old GE. Water dispenser still works. Ice dispenser still works. Fixed a couple of simple things myself over the years. I just can't stand the idea of buying something that will only last 8-10 years (if I am lucky), even if my fridge does use more power.

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Sat Feb 22, 2014 2:57 pm

Data point. Bought a Sear's Kenmore top-freezer a few years back. Later saw the exact same model at HD wearing a Maytag label. Hard to know exactly who makes what these days.

Is there any website that can tell use which manufacturers make which brands?

Never mind. Answered my own question.

"Who makes what?"
http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/make.shtml
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:34 pm

We bought Kenmore french door refrigerator 3 years ago and have been very happy so far. All our kitchen appliances are Kenmore and have been reliable. Prior refrig was kitchenaid and we were not pleased with it. We had problem with it freezing food in refrig.

praxis

Post by praxis » Sat Feb 22, 2014 7:24 pm

Another strong vote for Sub-Zero value.
We moved into current house 20 years ago next month. The Sub-Zero had been installed when the previous owner remodeled the kitchen in 1984. That's been 30 years now. I priced them 5 years ago when the compressor was going out, according to our regular appliance repairman. Whew! On sale, on a tax holiday weekend special it was still over $7500. The repairman ordered a new compressor and installed it for about $600 strongly supporting that solution. He explained about the quality coils and sturdy compressor and better insulation. A new SZ would likely have been more energy efficient, but with a new compressor, he doubted by much. I have replaced the plastic drawers when they cracked from age and rough use. The original icemaker is chugging along. I replaced the rubber seal on both doors when I could feel cold air seeping out. I really think I would buy another Sub-Zero, justifying the price by the number of 36" fridges I'd buy over the life of another SZ. It runs quiet and cold. It came with panel ready doors so the fronts match the rest of the cabinets. I've replaced both our HVAC units for less than what a new SZ would cost today. And have owned many cars that cost less. I feel your pain. For us it's not a status purchase. It's better value. It is used every day.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:15 am

praxis wrote:Another strong vote for Sub-Zero value.
We moved into current house 20 years ago next month. The Sub-Zero had been installed when the previous owner remodeled the kitchen in 1984. That's been 30 years now. I priced them 5 years ago when the compressor was going out, according to our regular appliance repairman. Whew! On sale, on a tax holiday weekend special it was still over $7500. The repairman ordered a new compressor and installed it for about $600 strongly supporting that solution. He explained about the quality coils and sturdy compressor and better insulation. A new SZ would likely have been more energy efficient, but with a new compressor, he doubted by much. I have replaced the plastic drawers when they cracked from age and rough use. The original icemaker is chugging along. I replaced the rubber seal on both doors when I could feel cold air seeping out. I really think I would buy another Sub-Zero, justifying the price by the number of 36" fridges I'd buy over the life of another SZ. It runs quiet and cold. It came with panel ready doors so the fronts match the rest of the cabinets. I've replaced both our HVAC units for less than what a new SZ would cost today. And have owned many cars that cost less. I feel your pain. For us it's not a status purchase. It's better value. It is used every day.
My "eocnomy-minded" (he probably prefers the word "cheap") ex-father-in-law still uses his vintage early- 70s Frigidaire. I doubt that it was one of the high-end models...I would not be surprised if he paid less than $100 for it new. Other than the fact that he uses a twisted wire to open and close it, it's going strong and he is happy. That is not enough to convince me to buy a Frigidaire. He also drove a 25 year old Ford until we made him buy a new Toyota for safety reasons....the first thing he commented on was how small the music tapes had gotten. His old car took 8-tracks and he still has his Frank Sinatra 8-track collection that he proudly plays in his kitchen because he can no longer play them in his car (a constantly heard complaint).

The point is, anecdotal success stories don't mean much. One guy might have a Sub-zero or a Frigidaire that could last a lifetime. Another guy could have either that dies within a year. IMHO, $7500 five years ago on a tax holiday weekend special is a lot to pay for something that just keeps your food cold. But if you love it, great.

praxis

Post by praxis » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:57 am

[
protagonist wrote:
praxis wrote:Another strong vote for Sub-Zero value.
My "eocnomy-minded" (he probably prefers the word "cheap") ex-father-in-law still uses his vintage early- 70s Frigidaire. I doubt that it was one of the high-end models...I would not be surprised if he paid less than $100 for it new. Other than the fact that he uses a twisted wire to open and close it, it's going strong and he is happy. That is not enough to convince me to buy a Frigidaire. He also drove a 25 year old Ford until we made him buy a new Toyota for safety reasons....the first thing he commented on was how small the music tapes had gotten. His old car took 8-tracks and he still has his Frank Sinatra 8-track collection that he proudly plays in his kitchen because he can no longer play them in his car (a constantly heard complaint).

The point is, anecdotal success stories don't mean much. One guy might have a Sub-zero or a Frigidaire that could last a lifetime. Another guy could have either that dies within a year. IMHO, $7500 five years ago on a tax holiday weekend special is a lot to pay for something that just keeps your food cold. But if you love it, great.
You are right about anecdotal stories. Except for careful extensive studies, though, consumer product comments, even from repairmen, ARE anecdotal stories on this thread. And I believe that is what is asked for here. Otherwise, the Consumer Reports site would provide comparisons for the OP. A discussion like this is a pooling of experience, and I hope it's not mistaken for an inclusive study of dependability. Oh, and I didn't pay $7500 for a new one 5 years ago. It came with the house and I chose to repair it for $600. Thanks for the hilarious picture of the ex-FIL.

maroon

Post by maroon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:08 am

I last bought a fridge in 2011. I first tried a Frigidaire, which I returned because I couldn't stand the seemingly constant humming. I now have a Whirlpool, which also hums, just at a slightly less annoying frequency than the Frigidaire. I am very sensitive to noise, so I'm not happy with the Whirlpool, but don't know what to try next.

I researched and found that the constant running (at least every ~20 minutes) is the way the new energy compressors work. And to meet Energy Star requirements , insulation is geared toward thermal efficency and not acoustic insulation.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the noisiness of newer refrigerators; or maybe I'm super overly sensitive!

To answer the OP, I have no idea what the reliable refrigerator brands are these days. I do know I can't afford a Sub Zero.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:42 am

praxis wrote:

You are right about anecdotal stories. Except for careful extensive studies, though, consumer product comments, even from repairmen, ARE anecdotal stories on this thread. And I believe that is what is asked for here. Otherwise, the Consumer Reports site would provide comparisons for the OP. A discussion like this is a pooling of experience, and I hope it's not mistaken for an inclusive study of dependability. Oh, and I didn't pay $7500 for a new one 5 years ago. It came with the house and I chose to repair it for $600. Thanks for the hilarious picture of the ex-FIL.
Yes, you are right. I post anecdotes here all the time. I suppose the main point of my post was an excuse to relate the hilarious picture of the ex-FIL, not to convince people not to buy a Sub-Zero (which I admit to knowing virtually nothing about).
Last edited by protagonist on Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:43 am

maroon wrote:I last bought a fridge in 2011. I first tried a Frigidaire, which I returned because I couldn't stand the seemingly constant humming. I now have a Whirlpool, which also hums, just at a slightly less annoying frequency than the Frigidaire. I am very sensitive to noise, so I'm not happy with the Whirlpool, but don't know what to try next.

I researched and found that the constant running (at least every ~20 minutes) is the way the new energy compressors work. And to meet Energy Star requirements , insulation is geared toward thermal efficency and not acoustic insulation.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the noisiness of newer refrigerators; or maybe I'm super overly sensitive!

To answer the OP, I have no idea what the reliable refrigerator brands are these days. I do know I can't afford a Sub Zero.
I have a Frigidaire and it does hum which I did not notice until you mentioned it :twisted:
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson