Son moving to LA - neighborhood/town recommendations?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Electrum

Son moving to LA - neighborhood/town recommendations?

Post by Electrum » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Everyone -

Our son (single) has landed a job in Southwestern LA county, near LAX. He needs to find an apartment, and is wondering if anyone has recommendations on where to look.
His price range is ~$1800 - $2000/month. A low crime area is preferable, of course!

Based strictly on location, he is thinking of: Lennox, Hawthorne, Gardena, Lawndale, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, and El Segundo.

Thank you for any information you can share!

Regards,

Electrum

CABob

Re: Son moving to LA - neighborhood/town recommendations?

Post by CABob » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:23 pm

I lived for many years in Torrance and would suggest you add it to your consideration. You should probably also add Redondo Beach to the list. Westchester, the area just north of LAX might also be a possible. Personally I would take Lennox off of the list and be cautious of areas in Hawthorne, Gardena, and Lawndale. The beach cities (Hermosa, Manhattan, and Redondo will probably be the most expensive and you may have trouble finding something in your price range in any of the desireable areas.
I am quite familiar with the area so if I can be of further help feel free to post here or PM to me.
As you are probably aware, traffic particularly at rush times can be bad, so the specific area of employment and living may be significant.
The local newspaper is the Daily Breeze:
http://dailybreeze.kaango.com/browse/re ... 357275&v=2
Bob

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:37 pm

Echo the above, though Redondo will be cheaper than Manhattan or Hermosa. The further east you go in Hawthorne/Gardena/Lawndale, the worse (in general). As he is not too concerned about schools, the western portions of those cities will give him more bang for the buck than many of the other areas being considered, but they also won't be quite as nice overall.

The South Bay (as that area is known) is fairly nice, but El Segundo/LAX is an employment hub with traffic patterns that somewhat reflect that.

If he wants to live in a roommate situation, his price range will actually afford him quite a few options in the more 'active/beach-lifestyle' areas that cater to the young, single crowd such as Hermosa Beach.
Retirement investing is a marathon.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:53 pm

He could also look to see if he could find anything in the Venice/Mar Vista/Westchester area north of LAX.

dgdevil

Post by dgdevil » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:00 pm

Venice +1. That's what I did. If he won't have wheels initially, public transport is pretty good around there. Also Marina del Rey - traditionally lots of singles in the area, with all that entails, though I found it rather remote from anywhere.

Those inland options - meh. If he's coming to LA, beach is the best.

investor

Post by investor » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:04 pm

CABob wrote:I lived for many years in Torrance and would suggest you add it to your consideration. You should probably also add Redondo Beach to the list. Westchester, the area just north of LAX might also be a possible. Personally I would take Lennox off of the list and be cautious of areas in Hawthorne, Gardena, and Lawndale. The beach cities (Hermosa, Manhattan, and Redondo will probably be the most expensive and you may have trouble finding something in your price range in any of the desireable areas.
I am quite familiar with the area so if I can be of further help feel free to post here or PM to me.
As you are probably aware, traffic particularly at rush times can be bad, so the specific area of employment and living may be significant.
The local newspaper is the Daily Breeze:
http://dailybreeze.kaango.com/browse/re ... 357275&v=2
I would echo the above and put an emphasis on Torrance.

investor

rec7

Post by rec7 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:20 pm

How about south el monte and Arcadia are they good areas? I am not from there but am looking to.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:21 pm

Torrance is great (IMO) but is a fairly large city with a lot of different flavors. I would avoid East Torrance (90501/90502); it is a Torrance post office but not part of the school district or city proper, and is higher crime/not as nice. West and South Torrance are very nice (and expensive), though commute times can be surprisingly long from South Torrance, since there is no freeway access. Central and North Torrance are more affordable but with much better schools than the non-beach cities around.

Topic Author
Electrum

Post by Electrum » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:03 pm

Thank you for all the great replies. He is going to give Torrence a close look, as well as the towns nearer the coast.

CABob - I will pm you.

This is a great community - thank you Bogleheads!

Electrum

CABob

Post by CABob » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:01 pm

rec7 wrote:How about south el monte and Arcadia are they good areas? I am not from there but am looking to.
I'm not real familiar with those areas but I would guess that Arcadia is OK, South El Monte not as good.
Bob

LAlearning

Post by LAlearning » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:12 pm

CABob wrote:
rec7 wrote:How about south el monte and Arcadia are they good areas? I am not from there but am looking to.
I'm not real familiar with those areas but I would guess that Arcadia is OK, South El Monte not as good.
Arcadia is probably 1-2hrs with traffic from LAX......so no.
I know nothing!

CABob

Post by CABob » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:21 pm

LAlearning wrote:
CABob wrote:
Arcadia is probably 1-2hrs with traffic from LAX......so no.
I agree, but, saw this post as a separate issue from the OP so did not mention it.
Bob

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:28 pm

Electrum wrote:Hi Everyone -

Our son (single) has landed a job in Southwestern LA county, near LAX. He needs to find an apartment, and is wondering if anyone has recommendations on where to look.
His price range is ~$1800 - $2000/month. A low crime area is preferable, of course!

Based strictly on location, he is thinking of: Lennox, Hawthorne, Gardena, Lawndale, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, and El Segundo.

Thank you for any information you can share!

Regards,

Electrum
Los Angeles is a spread out area. Be sure the job site is really where you're looking. Some companies have multiple job sites or require travel. If that's the case, beach cities involve the most commute. Some people are ok with that, but others prefer to split the difference. Traffic can be a b...., so I'd double recommendation to be close to the job site.

LFKB

Post by LFKB » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:34 pm

Hard to imagine a young single person living anywhere but Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, Redondo Beach, Marina del Rey, Venice, Santa Monica or Brentwood in LA. I've lived in Brentwood for the last 6 years. Given where he works Manhattan or Hermosa Beach are the best two options in my opinion.

Old Guy

Post by Old Guy » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:49 pm

My son has lived in Silver Lake and Culver City and now lives in the Los Feliz neighborhood of LA. Lots of young people .

stan1

Post by stan1 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:51 pm

Old Guy wrote:My son has lived in Silver Lake and Culver City and now lives in the Los Feliz neighborhood of LA. Lots of young people .
Silver Lake and Los Feliz are a long commute from LAX, but Culver City is close to Venice/Mar Vista/Westchester already mentioned.

investor

Post by investor » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:00 am

I have also sent an E mail.... Torrance is one of the gems of the South bay. Has its own climate, far and away better than most of Los Angeles.

investor

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:07 am

investor wrote: Torrance is one of the gems of the South bay.
I too enjoy living next to an oil refinery. A true gem.
https://www.google.com/search?q=torranc ... 88&bih=679

DVMResident

Post by DVMResident » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:52 am

Electrum wrote: Lennox, Hawthorne, Lawndale, All bad, dirty, crime, and not fun places for a young person.

Gardena, Dicey parts with crime, but some of it's okay. Heavy Asian population with excellent Pho and Dim Sum places. Might be neat to learn about other cultures, though there are probably better places to live.

Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach, Both great beach communities. Manhattan is very nice, pricey, and people do yoga on the beach while drinking lattes. Hermosa is ideal for a young male with lots of bars/party places, great night life, and easy to walk around. Further south is Redondo. It's older with a little more of a hippie beach vibe and slower pace than Hermosa or Manhattan. Redondo has the best surfing. All 3 are great and highly recommended for a young male moving out to the city. Not knowing your son, it's hard to recommend one. Drive around, see what you like.

and El Segundo Sandwiched between LAX and an oil refinery. It's cheap, industrial, and safe. Not much else going on. The population decreases dramatically at night. Few good places to eat, but not that exciting. Wouldn't recommend it other than convenience to the LAX.
Also check out Culver City north-east of LAX, Westchester (near LMU), and Playa del ray.

My recommendation in order:
Hermosa/Redono
Playa del ray
Culver City

Good luck and enjoy.

General Disarray
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Post by General Disarray » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:53 am

I lived in So Cal for 20 years, until 2010. Lived in Torrance, Long Beach, Los Angeles (near Los Feliz and downtown L.A.), and back to Torrance. Like at least two posters, I highly recommend Torrance. It's a large suburb that is very close to the beaches (Redondo Beach), lots to do, and is a safe place. (Wish I were still there.) Huge farmers' markets year round (and twice a week), lots of parks, well-maintained roads.

Also recommend: Culver City, West Los Angeles (Mar Vista area), and Playa del Rey.

Would not at all recommend Lennox and most of Hawthorne. Also would not recommend Los Feliz, unless you are in the entertainment industry. If your son is working in the LAX area, his commute will be on the 405. Los Feliz would require him to take the 110 to the 105 to the 405. The 110 Freeway is a mess.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:42 am

DVMResident wrote:
and El Segundo Sandwiched between LAX and an oil refinery. It's cheap, industrial, and safe. Not much else going on. The population decreases dramatically at night. Few good places to eat, but not that exciting. Wouldn't recommend it other than convenience to the LAX.
There are different areas of El Segundo, and this is only accurate about the eastern/industrial/commercial part. The residential area (west of Sepulveda) has somewhat of a small-town feel to it, as long as you are at least a few blocks in from the refinery, airport, ocean, and Sepulveda. It is most certainly not cheap, unless your only comparison is Manhattan Beach; median house price is close to a million bucks. Schools are fantastic. I think it would be a great place to live - for a family, not necessarily for a single - but I can't afford it.

mikefixac

Post by mikefixac » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:01 am

If you like the sound of gunfire at night, he might choose to live in South Central, Compton and Wilmington's a lovely area too.

Topic Author
Electrum

Post by Electrum » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:33 pm

OP here -

These replies have been very helpful to my son. I will update when he is settled.

Thanks again.

leonard

Post by leonard » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:04 pm

Identify the exact building or campus your son will be working at on a map.

Then, draw a 30 minute "rush hour commute travel time" radius around that point.

You have your short list.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:09 pm

sscritic wrote:
A fair criticism, but only if you also acknowledge that the entirety of Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach (two of the most affluent cities in California and even the country), and El Segundo are also 'next to an oil refinery' and in fact closer to a refinery than many parts of Torrance. If you're in the South Bay, you're close to a refinery. It comes with the territory. There are refineries in El Segundo, Torrance, Carson, and Wilmington.

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:29 pm

kenyan wrote:
sscritic wrote: I too enjoy living next to an oil refinery. A true gem.
A fair criticism, but only if you also acknowledge that the entirety of Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach (two of the most affluent cities in California and even the country), and El Segundo are also 'next to an oil refinery' and in fact closer to a refinery than many parts of Torrance. If you're in the South Bay, you're close to a refinery. It comes with the territory. There are refineries in El Segundo, Torrance, Carson, and Wilmington.
Acknowledged. I used to live in Huntington Beach, and every time I went for a walk, I would pass an pumpjack* or rig (I lived 3 blocks from the one that collapsed last October), but never a refinery.

The real issue is how close do you want to live to the refinery. I presume that the closer you are, the lower the rents, but I could be wrong. Maybe it was just the exit I took off the 405 when going to the Redondo Beach pier, but I always seemed to drive past the Exxon refinery. Maybe I was just lost.

* also called donkey pumper, nodding donkey, pumping unit, horsehead pump, rocking horse, beam pump, dinosaur, sucker rod pump, grasshopper pump, Big Texan, thirsty bird, or jack pump.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpjack

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:44 am

Most of Arcadia is excellent in terms of safety. There are some incorporated areas bordering El Monte and Monrovia which crimes tend to flow in. I would not consider South El Monte or El Monte as they have a much higher crime rate.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

investor

Post by investor » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:31 am

sscritic wrote:

The Exxon/Mobil refinery is located on Crenshaw Blvd in an Industrial area and not that far from the 405 freeway. Not many residents near the refinery. Torrance was an All American City in the mid 1950's. I have Been in the area in excess of 60 years. Very balanced with low crime, good beaches, schools, hospitals, etc. Torrance left the LA City school system in 1947. The last city able to do so. City supports several (4) public high schools and one community college. Good ethnic mixture.

investor

pingo

Post by pingo » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:12 pm

LA traffic ain't great, and the longer he has to spend commuting on the 405 the more painful. (The 105 fwy goes East-West and lands him right at LAX, but to live away from LAX and near the 105 means living in areas not recommended in this thread.)

I concur that Torrance, Redondo Beach, Hermosa Beach, Manhattan Beach are great areas, although one might easily spend 15 minutes just to get to the freeway in the first place. I suppose it's not terrible, but it's something to keep in mind.

One thought that came to mind is the Pacific Place Apartments which should have a very quick and easy commute to LAX and close (very, very close) freeway access. I don't know anything about the Apts other than having seen them from the outside a few years ago. I don't know anything about living in that specific area, either. Here's a link and a map image:

http://www.equityapartments.com/califor ... ments.aspx

sscritic

Post by sscritic » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:17 pm

The thing about living a block from the freeway is that you are living a block from the freeway. I used to live near police headquarters. After a while, I didn't even hear the sirens every night, but it takes a while to adjust.

playtothebeat

Post by playtothebeat » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:28 pm

You gotta tell us more about your son in order to answer that question. You mentioned he's single - is he 18? 25? 35? there's a difference. What does he like to do? Beach volleyaball? Manhattan Beach is the world capital of beach volleyball. Does he like to surf? Manhattan Beach is great for that too. Is he an "urban" feel kind of guy? Culver City and downtown LA might suit him. Does he want to be able to walk to restaurants, nightlife, etc? Does he want an apartment or a house?

I lived in Culver city, Downtown LA, Manhattan Beach, and Santa Monica. Each offered their own advantages and disadvantages.

surfhb

Post by surfhb » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:25 am

Pretty much anywhere west of the 405 and south of the 105 freeways. $2k will get you a fine 1bd place

Topic Author
Electrum

Son moving to LA - update on neighborhood he selected

Post by Electrum » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi everyone -

A while back I requested recommendations on towns/neighborhoods for our son, who was moving to LA.

He is out there now, in temporary housing, and has just signed a lease on an apartment in West Torrance. It seems to
be very nice, based on what we can see on the website and Street View. Everyone so very generous with their advice,
and it was very helpful to him during the decision making process.

Thanks again,

Electrum

runner9

Re: Son moving to LA - update on neighborhood he selected

Post by runner9 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:21 pm

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 7#p1961107

Why not update in the thread you received advice in? That way though who commented and receive e-mails when new posts are made in the thread will be sure to read your post, instead of by chance finding it in the long list of posts.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:38 pm

^^^ FYI - I merged the threads.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

pingo

Post by pingo » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:44 pm

Electrum wrote:He is out there now, in temporary housing, and has just signed a lease on an apartment in West Torrance. It seems to
be very nice, based on what we can see on the website and Street View.
Congratulations. I grew up there. I hope he likes it.

General Disarray

Post by General Disarray » Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:14 am

Yay!!!! I think he'll be very happy there.

Lots of great places to jog, and he's close to Redondo Beach.

Farmer's Market twice a week at Wilson Park in Torrance (8 a.m. - 1 p.m.), year round. Best produce anywhere, for dirt cheap. Fresh valencia oranges for squeezing into O.J. ($10 for a gigantic bag). Kettle corn made on the premises. Assorted food vendors and live music.

Great food throughout the city and beyond. Some of my favorites include:
1. Cho Dang Tofu (get the tofu stew)
2. India Sweets and Groceries (in the back of the store, you can buy hot lunch/dinner for dirt cheap)
3. Mitsuwa Marketplace (great place to get Japanese food and products)
4. El Polla Inka (Peruvian food)

People also like:
1. King's Hawaiian (a favorite among many, although not mine, but the paradise cake is AWESOME).
Last edited by General Disarray on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

pingo

Post by pingo » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:24 am

If he goes to La Capilla Mexican Restaurant on his birthday he gets a free meal (I don't think drinks or friends are included). In fact, he can also go to the very expensive Catalina Kitchen at the Terranea resort neighboring Palos Verdes for his birthday. (It MUST be on his birthday and he MUST bring ID to prove it.) They're delicious Surf 'n' Turf will be free of charge. Again, drinks not included and friends must pay, but the SNT is otherwise the most expensive plate on the menu ($65) and it's wonderful experience.
Last edited by pingo on Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

General Disarray

Post by General Disarray » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:52 am

Oh, I forgot about La Capilla. Great inexpensive Mexican food. Love the tortilla soup.

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:51 pm

West Torrance is great. I used to live there, but couldn't afford to buy a house there. As mentioned, close to the beach as well - so nightlife can still be had a short drive away if he's not too keen on staying suburban.

vbdoug

Post by vbdoug » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:46 am

He should go to one of the South Bay Beach Cities; Manhattan, Hermosa or South Redondo. It is expensive but he will have the time of his life.

pjstack

Post by pjstack » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:21 am

vbdoug wrote:He should go to one of the South Bay Beach Cities; Manhattan, Hermosa or South Redondo. It is expensive but he will have the time of his life.
They are a mere hop, skip, and a jump from west Torrance. An easy drive. He'll find the way!
pjstack

kenyan

Post by kenyan » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:39 am

pjstack wrote:
vbdoug wrote:He should go to one of the South Bay Beach Cities; Manhattan, Hermosa or South Redondo. It is expensive but he will have the time of his life.
They are a mere hop, skip, and a jump from west Torrance. An easy drive. He'll find the way!
Indeed. And, if you wish to get technical, Torrance is a beach city as well, with its own beach between South Redondo and Palos Verdes.

investor

Post by investor » Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:03 pm

Also, journey along the coastline south and east past Torrance Beach, I grew up on that beach, and see the great coastline--- all the way to San Pedro. I also recommend the farmers market at Wilson Park. Torrance is a large city offering you anything you want, except snow.

investor